Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

gozunda wrote: »
    Same point as the UK?

Except the UK experiment was almost a year ago, and they've taken the findings and moved on to proper events.

But as usual, and as I said earlier, Paddy has to do it his own way so people can get paid :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Except the UK experiment was almost a year ago, and they've taken the findings and moved on to proper events.But as usual, and as I said earlier, Paddy has to do it his own way so people can get paid :rolleyes:

Well not quite as simple as that in the UK.

Amongst other issues- the planned regular events at the Newcastle Upon Tyne venue were shut down weeks later due to a rise in the rate of infections in the North of England.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-54191245

As I said - the plan (which tbh I hope goes ahead) is to get rid of the pods when the pilot gigs end.

I wouldn't be interested in going to events as they are. Though plenty of people seem to be

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit. I see were back to referring to ourselves as Paddies again. Maybe we should just rejoin the glorious empire ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0704/1232972-uk-covid/

I've never been so envious of the British.
    I don't believe we will get anywhere close to this in 2021.
    ****in nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Afaik you only had to wear masks on the way in etc. Once there - they weren’t mandatory.

Personally wouldn't be enthusiastic about going but looks like the tickets sold out quickly and people were happy to go...

Poll in journal indicates the majority are ok about socially distanced events

https://www.thejournal.ie/socially-distanced-concerts-5175616-Aug2020/

As to pods - yeah they look mad - that said the UK ones looked even madder. This was what social distanced enclosures at the Virgin Money Unity Arena in Newcastle upon Tyne looked like.

5fetrp.jpg

That was in August 2020. They don't have this in the UK anymore. We're 11 months behind them on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

We should be looking for a date for own freedom day at this stage. Even if they don’t stick to the schedule, and it needs to be pushed out for a few weeks, at least give us some hope that it’s even on the cards. As it is we still don’t even know when we can have a drink indoors.

A lot of people may forget that masks were only made mandatory in Ireland as late as 10th August. They weren’t mandatory (except on public transport) when we were reporting single figure cases earlier in the summer. It’s really time to start having the discussion at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

We should be looking for a date for own freedom day at this stage. Even if they don’t stick to the schedule, and it needs to be pushed out for a few weeks, at least give us some hope that it’s even on the cards. As it is we still don’t even know when we can have a drink indoors.

A lot of people may forget that masks were only made mandatory in Ireland as late as 10th August. They weren’t mandatory (except on public transport) when we were reporting single figure cases earlier in the summer. It’s really time to start having the discussion at least.

If we are suggesting our reactions are based on British data then what does this prove?
    The delta in that case for them isn't enough of an excuse to keep restrictions in place.
    So if our government is so on the ball according to what the Brits do then tomorrow they should be announcing their own version.
    But we all know that their thongs are far too up their own holes to be able to even come to terms with this sort of loosening.
    We all deserve our lives back ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

namloc1980 wrote: »
    That was in August 2020. They don't have this in the UK anymore. We're 11 months behind them on this.
    Yes, a bit disingenuous of the poster to leave out the date.

namloc1980 wrote: »

Yes think its well known that those events were last year tbf

But yeah and thankfully we seriously behind them when it comes to the ****show that is covid over there atm and Boris trying to act the populist leader once again

https://twitter.com/TheBMA/status/1411201419080785923?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wouldn’t be his biggest fan but Dominic Cummings recently described Boris Johnson as like a shopping trolley crashing from one side to the other of a supermarket aisle when it comes to covid

Let that sink in - it’s some image in fairness

They keep having to backtrack from wildly optimistic and populist rhetoric mainly from him but others in their cabinet too

Glad to take the Irish approach over the UK shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

bear1 wrote: »

****in nonsense.

Actually feel like crying reading that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Afaik you only had to wear masks on the way in etc. Once there - they weren’t mandatory.

Personally wouldn't be enthusiastic about going but looks like the tickets sold out quickly and people were happy to go...

Poll in journal indicates the majority are ok about socially distanced events

https://www.thejournal.ie/socially-distanced-concerts-5175616-Aug2020/

As to pods - yeah they look mad - that said the UK ones looked even madder. This was what social distanced enclosures at the Virgin Money Unity Arena in Newcastle upon Tyne looked like.

5fetrp.jpg

The first of these events in Newcastle started in 11th August 2020 though, so we’re nearly a year behind, and our one last night doesn’t look too unlike this one, and definitely much bigger scale than the Iveagh Gardens one a few weeks ago.

There was no antigen test required - why would you even need it when you’re keeping people enclosed in their pods? Food and drink (yes, alcohol) could also be consumed - it just had to be be pre-ordered and then it was delivered to your pen.

Edit - sorry, I see this has been pointed out a few times!

Yes, a bit disingenuous of the poster to leave out the date.

And the date was relevant how when discussing why pods were being used exactly? Nothing like a good old bit of faux outrage by some ...

Yes it was last year. Where have people been that that is news ffs? But do excuse please for not writing a blooming essay. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wouldn’t be his biggest fan but Dominic Cummings recently described Boris Johnson as like a shopping trolley crashing from one side to the other of a supermarket aisle when it comes to covid

Let that sink in - it’s some image in fairness

They keep having to backtrack from wildly optimistic and populist rhetoric mainly from him but others in their cabinet too

Glad to take the Irish approach over the UK shambles.

To say I'm no fan of Boris Johnson would be an understatement, I find most of his cabinet despicable and I am very glad that despite the failings of our own government here that we don't have that lot in charge... but do you think Dominic Cummings might not be completely impartial when it comes to giving an opinion on Boris perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

And the date was relevant how when discussing why pods were being used exactly? Nothing like a good old bit of faux outrage by some ...

Yes it was last year. Where have people been that that is news ffs? But do excuse please for not writing a blooming essay. :rolleyes:

The date is extremely relevant because the implication was that gigs are currently held the same way in the UK and that’s incorrect. I had no idea that picture was from August 2020 and you knew that well.

To say I'm no fan of Boris Johnson would be an understatement, I find most of his cabinet despicable and I am very glad that despite the failings of our own government here that we don't have that lot in charge... but do you think Dominic Cummings might not be completely impartial when it comes to giving an opinion on Boris perhaps?

Oh I fully agree there royal . He is certainly not “impartial”

But I mean we can all see the shambles in the UK

Johnson has repeatedly given dates for full reopening of society - reckless populist bluster that has real world public health consequences

The backtracking and “omni shambles” (rights reserved by a certain M Tucker!) has been quite a sight to behold

Given the option, happier to go with the Irish response.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

****in nonsense.

We're a conservative nation.

UK plans are interesting. Feeling is it will come back to haunt them.

UK plans are interesting. Feeling is it will come back to haunt them.

That is my sense too. Hope to be proven wrong as I don’t want to see any more virus deaths obviously

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The fact that that headline is pitched as the Government defying NPHET is right there the entire problem!!

The Government are the ones supposed to be in charge! The only ones they're answerable to (supposedly!) is the electorate, not a group of ass-covering incompetent HSE staffers that have squandered billions of Euro through the mismanagement of our health service each year for decades.

To clarify, Tony Holohan doesn't work for the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

When the UK re-opened on 17 May they had 54%/30% of the total population with one dose/fully vaccinated.

Tomorrow, on our originally scheduled re-opening date, we'll be at around 52%/38%, and with slightly stronger protection from the mRNA vaccines.

Even if we do see the kind of Delta-driven growth rates that Portugal have seen (doubling every 2 weeks) we're 18 days behind their case curve which is enough to administer almost another million doses (+25% more protection).

Thing is, whilst indoor reopening does introduce risk, surely the position of Portugal as a holiday destination has to be factored in. They re-opened for international tourists in late May, whereas during these two lost weeks we wouldn't have been operating the EU covid cert scheme, so it's not like there would be an influx of hard-partying tourists before the 19th anyway.

The only upside to this mess is that with the consideration of antigen testing the govt seem to have finally started to break free of NPHET advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Bit of an overreaction to my post.

I wouldn't be interested in going to events as they are. Though plenty of people seem to be

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you throw a starving man a sandwich, it's going to be the best sandwich he's ever had, no matter the content!
    Edit. I see were back to referring to ourselves as Paddies again. Maybe we should just rejoin the glorious empire ...

Well, I don't know about that, but certainly we have a lot more in common culturally and otherwise with our nearest neighbours than we do with our EU overlords for whom we're an occasional thorn (corporation tax) and stick to beat the UK with (Brexit).

To be fair, we have only been at the independence lark for just about 100 years I suppose. It shouldn't be surprising that we've largely made a balls of it so far (and keep trying to hand it back - first to the Church, then to the EU) with scandal after scandal since the foundation of the State, never-ending political incompetence, waste and corruption, and a population that largely doesn't think beyond their own driveway or how something will affect them personally.

We're still very immature as a nation and this is reflected in the decisions made, the actions and attitudes of many, and our constant need for validation and approval from our "betters".

To clarify, Tony Holohan doesn't work for the HSE.

ToMAYto, toMAHto in his case!

He certainly shouldn't be working as the CMO anyway given his current and previous performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People are going to die whatever happens. The vaccine only suppresses symptoms, not cure it. People who are in later age and are unwell will still be vulnerable. The virus isn't going anywhere until near global herd immunity is reached.

If you are vaccinated, that's the best we can do for you. Restrictions at this stage are nonsense. The people most susceptible to death have been vaccinated. We can't save everybody, this needs to be accepted.

The first of these events in Newcastle started in 11th August 2020 though, so we’re nearly a year behind, and our one last night doesn’t look too unlike this one, and definitely much bigger scale than the Iveagh Gardens one a few weeks ago.

There was no antigen test required - why would you even need it when you’re keeping people enclosed in their pods? Food and drink (yes, alcohol) could also be consumed - it just had to be be pre-ordered and then it was delivered to your pen.

Edit - sorry, I see this has been pointed out a few times!

Yeah that wasn't even the first UK test gig btw. And I think most people know those gigs started last year in the UK. But no matter.

The one last night in Kilmainham was somewhat bigger than the first test gig in Newcastle Upon Tyne afaik. On antigen - I've no idea other than there were at least a few screamers demanding that antigen tests be used here at the pilot gigs. Maybe they gave in?

Oh I fully agree there royal . He is certainly not “impartial”

But I mean we can all see the shambles in the UK

Johnson has repeatedly given dates for full reopening of society - reckless populist bluster that has real world public health consequences

The backtracking and “omni shambles” (rights reserved by a certain M Tucker!) has been quite a sight to behold

Given the option, happier to go with the Irish response.

Didn't we cover this yesterday?

The Irish response of NPHET trying to force the Government's hand, TDs and various other giving conflicting soundbites in the media, businesses and the general public being told one thing only for it to change at the last moment, and the constant "kite-flying" to where no-one knows what's really going on is hardly something to be shouting about!

leahyl wrote: »
    The date is extremely relevant because the implication was that gigs are currently held the same way in the UK and that’s incorrect. I had no idea that picture was from August 2020 and you knew that well.

No implication at all.

Of course it's well know those events were held last year in the UK. It was all over the news and social media. Don't pretend otherwise.

And no incorrect. That discussion why pods were being used and point of same.

But hey if you would like to have your own discussion there - please feel free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

****in nonsense.

Attention NPHET :

Mr Jenrick said that, although cases were rising, they had not translated into "serious illness and death", allowing the government to be "positive" about unlocking on 19 July.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The vaccine only suppresses symptoms, not cure it.

You've posted this a few times now.

It does highlight how many people don't understand how a vaccine actually works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

That is my sense too. Hope to be proven wrong as I don’t want to see any more virus deaths obviously

so u want to exist with restrictions forever? Because there will always be virus deaths.

Advertisement