Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

seamus wrote: »
    The decision to drop masks is a political one. It's a symbolic gesture rather than one driven by best interests.

Masks, hand washing and capacity limits are the easiest and lowest-cost things you can do. Ditching them makes no sense unless you have driven cases numbers into the ground and achieved herd immunity.

If the UK are not back into some form of restrictions by mid-Autumn, I'll be very surprised.

The decision on Ending the Facecover fetish might well be an ecological one,and almost certainly In the best interests of humanity in terms of ACTUAL benefit as opposed to whatever sort of benefit the 90% plus incorrect useage is currently providing.

The Covid 19 Emergency is long over,and Humanity will eventually crawl back out of it's trenches,followed by Ireland.

It's here....deal with it,live with and around it and it will eventually settle at a level suitable to both itself and it's host (Us).

The universal destruction of Self - Confidence is perhaps the greatest challenge to recovering from this,something I suspect,will see Ireland also bringing up the rear on :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If the UK reopens fully on July 19th and we still haven't reopened indoor dining I think the government are going to come under massive pressure. We're being ridiculously cautious and something has to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

I feel dirty for thinking this but, I would happily see England win the euros if it meant they could use it as a platform to show the world that all their tests worked, packed stadiums for soccer and very busy courts for Wimbledon, and we could get back to travelling and tourism and get my bloody life back, I will cheer them on if this was the outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Jimi H wrote: »
    Was listening to Paul Reid this morning. He was saying that although only 16 are in ICU for Covid, there were very few ICU beds available. I think he said 230 (or possibly 260 can’t remember) ICU beds were occupied at the moment and the hospitals were very busy. Anyway, by the sound of it we have very little capacity to take on even a small increase in hospitality rate. We’ve had so many years of a poorly run health service and it’s come back to bite.

This is why we're dragging the arse out of the Covid reopening "plan" - it's like a schoolboy frantically explaining why he doesn't have his homework done or isn't ready for the big test.

Paul Reid would be better explaining what he and his colleagues have pissed 20 billion of taxpayer's money PER YEAR on then, because it certainly hasn't been on front-line care and facilities.

Santan wrote: »
    I feel dirty for thinking this but, I would happily see England win the euros if it meant they could use it as a platform to show the world that all their tests worked, packed stadiums for soccer and very busy courts for Wimbledon, and we could get back to travelling and tourism and get my bloody life back, I will cheer them on if this was the outcome

Nah we'd still have to run more of our own "test events" with 100 people in Croke Park first, just to be seen to be doing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Huge crowd at the Formula 1 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The decision on Ending the Facecover fetish might well be an ecological one,and almost certainly In the best interests of humanity in terms of ACTUAL benefit as opposed to whatever sort of benefit the 90% plus incorrect useage is currently providing.

The Covid 19 Emergency is long over,and Humanity will eventually crawl back out of it's trenches,followed by Ireland.

It's here....deal with it,live with and around it and it will eventually settle at a level suitable to both itself and it's host (Us).

The universal destruction of Self - Confidence is perhaps the greatest challenge to recovering from this,something I suspect,will see Ireland also bringing up the rear on :(

I sure hope hand washing does not down. He'll those hygiene dispenser are the 1 thing I hope are kept.

As for the destruction of self confidence speak for yourself I know no one who has lost it

Was listening to Paul Reid this morning. He was saying that although only 16 are in ICU for Covid, there were very few ICU beds available. I think he said 230 (or possibly 260 can’t remember) ICU beds were occupied at the moment and the hospitals were very busy. Anyway, by the sound of it we have very little capacity to take on even a small increase in hospitality rate. We’ve had so many years of a poorly run health service and it’s come back to bite.

How many extra ICU beds have we added since March 2020? Surely this would have been a priority since day 1???

I think I already know the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Lumen wrote: »
    Like the consultant virologist who is the chair of NPHET?

DYOR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Public_Health_Emergency_Team_(2020)

So 1 virologist.

Epidemiologists? Statistical analysists??

JeffKenna wrote: »

Meanwhile here today we can sit outside in the €issing rain and eat Sunday lunch.

• Advertisement

It would seem that amongst the Qualifications to be CEO of any Irish Governmental Agency is to possess a Hard-Neck.

The HSE's own 2009 report,and the later 2018 report were VERY clear about ICU capacity.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/publications/clinical-strategy-and-programmes/towards-excellence-in-critical-care-report.pdf

The number of critical care beds should be increased by 45% from 289 to 418 beds. This will need to increase sequentially to 579 over the period 2010to 2020.

For cryin out loud,can no Journalist be found who is prepared to actively address the REAL Health Emergency with these lad's...? (HINT: It has nothing to do with Covid) :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

gozunda wrote: »

Weren’t our recent models done by a student who was more into snooker and fantasy football, as confirmed further back in the thread??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I think we know the HSE was in deep doodoo long before covid. Not sure about ICU atm - but talking to a number of people working there - the current high numbers are largely due the backlog from when services were suspended last year and partially from the cyber attack. Lets hope we don't need more beds for Covid patients....

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

How many extra ICU beds have we added since March 2020? Surely this would have been a priority since day 1???

I think I already know the answer

So I’m nearly sure he said 260 ICU beds were in use now that I think of it. I think we originally had 260-280 and I think the presenter said afterwards that we have 305 in total. Anyway it’s the middle of summer and it sounded like the hospitals could easily be overrun so god knows what winter would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fandymo wrote: »
    So 1 virologist.

DYOR. You're sealioning.

JeffKenna wrote: »

Ya this and Silverstone given ok for full capacity. USA will also be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Archeron

Just saw a post on Instagram from discover Dublin with a video of that test music event, I've never seen such a negative response to a tourism post in my life.

gansi wrote: »
    Meanwhile here today we can sit outside in the €issing rain and eat Sunday lunch.

Ah it's only a little bit never hurt anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Weren’t our recent models done by a student who was more into snooker and fantasy football, as confirmed further back in the thread??

Yeah that was the spin which was being pushed by a few ...

The guy is a PhD candidate who is researching statistical modelling . Afaik they were areas in which he had previously undertaken modelling research. He was just one of those involved

From the irish epidemiological modelling advisory group website linked.
    Professor Murphy and his colleagues are involved in developing mathematical and statistical models for the each stage of the Covid-19 pandemic in conjunction with other mathematical researchers in Ireland and with assistance from other modelling groups around the world.

There's a significant difference between being "into fantasy football" (it takes all types tbf) and research involving mathematical modelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It would seem that amongst the Qualifications to be CEO of any Irish Governmental Agency is to possess a Hard-Neck.

The HSE's own 2009 report,and the later 2018 report were VERY clear about ICU capacity.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/publications/clinical-strategy-and-programmes/towards-excellence-in-critical-care-report.pdf

For cryin out loud,can no Journalist be found who is prepared to actively address the REAL Health Emergency with these lad's...? (HINT: It has nothing to do with Covid) :o

It’s too late, we’ve spent all our money on face masks and Perspex shields.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

My God to go to such a beautiful green tree laden part of Ireland and wear a mask as you wander around is almost sacrilege.
    Still, though, since mask-wearing helps stop you from potentially catching the disease and also helps stop you passing it on to one or more people, it's a no-brainer.

So 1 virologist.

At this juncture in the Longest Emergency Ever,except of course for the 2nd World War in Ireland,could it be worthwhile to include some people from the greater society on it ?

Engineers,Businesspeople,Labourers,Blue Collar workers,Lower Level Medical workers,if only to allow the current NPHET membership a closer grasp of just who and what their current dictats are pertaining to.

Queuing up in the pouring rain yesterday at a HSE Vaccine Centre,my interactions were with people who just wanted to be able to Travel out of Ireland,with nobody attaching too much importance to the possibility of Death by Covid.

The other conversation topic was,what will happen when PUP ends,as my companions seemed all tom have family members at home and on the allowance.

All told it was a sodden downbeat little group,with few offering any glimmer of optimism in relation to things here in Ireland.

We have enough 'ologists at the moment,so how about a few Joe Soap's be co-opted onto NPHET....If it works at County Council level it will work here ;)

robindch wrote: »
    Still, though, since mask-wearing helps stop you from potentially catching the disease and also helps stop you passing it on to one or more people, it's a no-brainer.

100% agree.
    Something confirmed everyday by my personal observations and interactions. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Archeron wrote: »
    Just saw a post on Instagram from discover Dublin with a video of that test music event, I've never seen such a negative response to a tourism post in my life.
    Not a week to be doing something like that, even if they are in no way to blame for any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

So 1 virologist.

To be fair I suspect there’s little wrong with the modelling software. Presumably a modelling expert group would still need to plug in variables provided to them by NPHET.

We know that accelerated vaccine rate was disregarded. Also CMO when asked gave a confident answer of 3% to the probable hospitalisation rate for Delta variant, when UK has it at approx. 1.6%. Almost half - which have a huge effect on hospitalisation figures projected in the models, assuming Delta prevalence as expected.

Input dodgy variables and you’ll get some widely inaccurate (and scary, which is the point) predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

But weren’t those people saying we will have restrictions in place etc even when COVID wasn’t causing hospitals to be over run all out there loony’s coming up with with these scenarios?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

leahyl wrote: »
    There must be something we don’t know?? I’m really struggling at this point to understand how an outdoor gig with 8k people as a “test” event has people separated into pods of 6 and they have to wear masks??? What is the point??? I have followed restrictions for the past year and half but when we’re getting to the point of so many people being vaccinated but we still have to “hold on” for another few weeks etc….it’s just….I’m wrecked from it all. Even with restaurants open outdoors and all this, still doesn’t change that we are still expected to social distance and wear masks in crowded areas - it’s just not normal life yet. My anxiety is through the roof again this last week and I got the first dose of the vaccine - I should be delighted but it’s like the vaccines aren’t worth a damn at the moment! (I am happy that I got the vaccine though but everything else happening this week has taken away from it, that’s all :-P)

What has happened this week that has put your anxiety through the roof? If you step away from boards, away from social media, away from the anger and rage you'll actually see that quite little has changed -in fact things have gotten more relaxed. Nothing has been reimposed. At all.

If you weren't anxious two weeks ago, there is no reason to be anxious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

What has happened this week that has put your anxiety through the roof? If you step away from boards, away from social media, away from the anger and rage you'll actually see that quite little has changed -in fact things have gotten more relaxed. Nothing has been reimposed. At all.

If you weren't anxious two weeks ago, there is no reason to be anxious now.

Which is the point. It was meant to change, yet it hasn't. Certain posters on this site seem to have a great love of being purposely obtuse.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

bear1 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0704/1232972-uk-covid/

I've never been so envious of the British.
    I don't believe we will get anywhere close to this in 2021.
    ****in nonsense.

I followed your link, then saw the main headline.

'One concert goer had a positive antigen test at pilot event'

Only then it goes on to say that they later got a negative pcr test and got the all clear.

I've never seen a news organisation have such a doom and misery fetish. Every headline and article written in a negative tone. If you won the lotto they'd piss on you.

Edit:-
    Actually going to delete the link, only adding to the click count and ultimately that is probably what is driving the standard of the journalism.

Advertisement