Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Which is the point. It was meant to change, yet it hasn't. Certain posters on this site seem to have a great love of being purposely obtuse.

For the vast vast vast majority of the population, the lack of change means that it's not possible to go to a restaurant or pub indoors. That's all. It's not something to get worked up about, especially if it's not a sector that directly affects you.

prunudo wrote: »
    I followed your link, then saw the main headline.

'One concert goer had a positive antigen test at pilot event'

Only then it goes on to say that they later got a negative pcr test and got the all clear.

I've never seen a news organisation have such a doom and misery fetish. Every headline and article written in a negative tone. If you won the lotto they'd piss on you.
    RTE news : One positive Covid-19 antigen test at pilot festival

http://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0704/1232987-pilot-festival-testing/

Why are you applying a spin to that headline? It is only a statement of fact, the real problem is that you are approaching it with a negative mindset.

Equally I look at it and see just one positive test and that it was a false positive. Isn't that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

leahyl wrote: »
    There must be something we don’t know?? I’m really struggling at this point to understand how an outdoor gig with 8k people as a “test” event has people separated into pods of 6 and they have to wear masks??? What is the point??? I have followed restrictions for the past year and half but when we’re getting to the point of so many people being vaccinated but we still have to “hold on” for another few weeks etc….it’s just….I’m wrecked from it all. Even with restaurants open outdoors and all this, still doesn’t change that we are still expected to social distance and wear masks in crowded areas - it’s just not normal life yet. My anxiety is through the roof again this last week and I got the first dose of the vaccine - I should be delighted but it’s like the vaccines aren’t worth a damn at the moment! (I am happy that I got the vaccine though but everything else happening this week has taken away from it, that’s all :-P)

At this point and given the EU response it's hard to believe our government knows what they are doing. I've generally caveated everything as I'm not a virologist but at this point we seem B-O-N-K-E-R-S.

The statistics for mortality etc. do not appear to support the extreme response. If the government knows something we don't they should tell us. €400 million on PCR tests and €38 billion over budget during covid19. It seems mad altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Why are you applying a spin to that headline? It is only a statement of fact, the real problem is that you are approaching it with a negative mindset.

Equally I look at it and see just one positive test and that it was a false positive. Isn't that great.

It basically a non news story, yet it is placed as the main headline. Not saying it shouldn't be reported, but it should be placed within the body of any main report of the concert.
    They are pushing a fear agenda, if you can't accept that so be it. But its as clear as day they are not providing balanced reporting.

It basically a non news story, yet it is placed as the main headline. Not saying it shouldn't be reported, but it should be placed within the body of any main report of the concert.
    They are pushing a fear agenda, if you can't accept that so be it. But its as clear as day they are not providing balanced reporting.
    If they didn't report it you'd say they were hiding the fact that there was just one positive test and a false one at that. They cannot win.

As long as they report the facts and just the facts - this report is quite literally as series of statements of fact, then no one has a legitimate complaint.

However if you are approaching the story where you believe that they are pushing a fear agenda, well then you will see it everywhere - even where it isn't present. Like in statements of fact

RTE cannot account for your own biases in your head. That's something you only you can deal with tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

If they didn't report it you'd say they were hiding the fact that there was just one positive test and a false one at that. They cannot win.

As long as they report the facts and just the facts - this report is quite literally as series of statements of fact, then no one has a legitimate complaint.

However if you are approaching the story where you believe that they are pushing a fear agenda, well then you will see it everywhere - even where it isn't present. Like in statements of fact

RTE cannot account for your own biases in your head. That's something you only you can deal with tbh.

I never said it shouldn't be reported, my post you quoted literally says that. They are reporting, as the main headline, that someone going to pilot event tested positive. Where as, when you dig deeper into the article it turns out that they turned out to be negative when a pcr test was carried out. They are approaching it from a negative angle.

There are people who are hanging on their word, only waiting for a reason to be fearful and be up in arms about crowds of people attending events. A better headline would have been 3,499 negative antigen tests at pilot event.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The universal destruction of Self - Confidence is perhaps the greatest challenge to recovering from this,something I suspect,will see Ireland also bringing up the rear on :(

It cannot be overstated how much damage is being done to Irelands mindset and ethos, even if the usual suspects here won't acknowledge it.

When you look at our cultural peers such as America and the UK, they both have made it very clear that they want restrictions to end, that they are not prepared to hide away and that their priority is to return to normal as soon as possible. Their leadership stated it explicitly. People will say they have made mistakes but that mindset of theirs is more important than people realise, they want this to end and are fighting for it to end.

Ireland is different, they have not done any of that. They hid under their beds, they have not clearly stated that they find restrictions abhorrent or clearly stated that they will be ended as soon as is possible. US colleges used to talk about the Fighting Irish but those days are gone, Ireland in this pandemic has been nothing but pissy marys, scared and showing no fight whatsoever.

Think of the implications of all this. Young people will be looking at the lack of ambition in ireland, looking at the energy and drive overseas and thinking that they would rather be over there than here with the bedwetters. People tied down to Ireland will be disillusioned with what Ireland has become and so they will be detached from the wider society and stop caring. And those who actually are the cowards will start having a greater influence on society, from now on it will be nothing but offended cowards crying and shaming over every little thing.

The likes of NPHET clearly don't understand human nature and their defenders will dismiss cultural issues as unimportant, but 10/20 years down the line we will all be suffering the real consequences of this pandemic, and it will be nothing to do the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see The RTE app reporting main headline 1 person out of the 4000 tested positive with an antigen test from the concert last night. Then a further PCR test was negative. Lol why is it even a headline?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,312 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I see The RTE app reporting main headline 1 person out of the 4000 tested positive with an antigen test from the concert last night. Then a further PCR test was negative. Lol why is it even a headline?

Scaremongering

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Because it was the first large scale event to use antigen tests and the results are interesting?

• Advertisement

I never said it shouldn't be reported

They reported that a person did not have Covid 19, but used a headline that said that person was positive. Think about that.

Anybody who denies that RTE is following a narrative is willfully ignorant.

Christ it's going to be frustrating when England go back to normal on the 19th July while we might be only getting a rough timeline for reopening indoor hospitality (which prib won't be opening til mid late August if even)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

Are they not allowed report good news stories now?

Doesn’t suit all the outraged anti- everything crew on here.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Because it was the first large scale event to use antigen tests and the results are interesting?

Not really. Maybe if the antigen test was correct. It was a false alarm so not even sure how it’s news worthy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

They reported that a person did not have Covid 19, but used a headline that said that person was positive.

No. They didn't

Not sure why there's a determined effort to misinterpret the headline for the purposes of being outraged by it.

There was a (singular) positive test. That's exactly what the headline suggests.

Allinall wrote: »
    Are they not allowed report good news stories now?

Doesn’t suit all the outraged anti- everything crew on here.

Get off the high horse. They could have easily reported no positive cases at the festival. That works too. The headline was “one positive covid antigen test at pilot festival “ nice click bait

Get off the high horse. They could have easily reported no positive cases at the festival. That works too. The headline was “one positive covid antigen test at pilot festival “

And hide the element demonstrating the effectiveness of antigen testing for what reason?

Get off the high horse. They could have easily reported no positive cases at the festival. That works too. The headline was “one positive covid antigen test at pilot festival “ nice click bait

Which is accurate reporting.

Which is accurate reporting.

Yep while misleading headline. Sure it’s about the clicks…

Graham wrote: »
    No. They didn't

Not sure why there's a determined effort to misinterpret the headline for the purposes of being outraged by it.

There was a (singular) positive test. That's exactly what the headline suggests.

Why didn't the headline say "False positive antigen test result at pilot festival"?

That question is not for you by the way, I already know you will be contrarian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

They reported that a person did not have Covid 19, but used a headline that said that person was positive. Think about that.

Anybody who denies that RTE is following a narrative is willfully ignorant.

Because the vast vast majority of people don’t look past the headline so the headline itself is the key even though the main body of the item will verify the story properly.

It’s how red top rags, sensationalist media outlets operate, ye know like the sun and the mail in the uk but it seems people in Ireland have no issues with our tax payer funded state media operating this same looking at the responses on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Why didn't the headline say "False positive antigen test result at pilot festival"?

That question is not for you by the way, I already know you will be contrarian.

If they went with that headline you'd have people on here claiming it's rte pushing the narrative that antigen tests are unreliable.

Yep while misleading headline. Sure it’s about the clicks…

How can something be accurate and misleading?

That’s just silly.

Were at a stage where any negative stuff will be picked up by NPHET and used for there gain

They will be content with that Anitgen Testing news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Because RTE

I see they're still being defended by some. Laughable.

the kelt wrote: »
    Because the vast vast majority of people don’t look past the headline
    Exactly. The vast majority of people will see the headline and go away assuming that there were people with covid at the festival, evidence that covid is still out there waiting to pounce on them at any time.
    hynesie08 wrote: »
    If they went with that headline you'd have people on here claiming it's rte pushing the narrative that antigen tests are unreliable.

Perhaps, maybe, probably. But crucially, the headline would at least be honest.

How can something be accurate and misleading?

That’s just silly.

No. It’s just you fail to see what RTE is up to. Probably suits your narrative. I think the only out rage on here is the fact it was pointed out.

Let's assume the main purpose of the headline is to get you to read the article.

Did it work?

Did you read it?

Did you understand the sentence:

"However, that person then took a PCR test, which later came back negative for Covid-19.".

Was there any part of that sentence you think would confuse people?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Here's the RTE headline:

"One positive Covid-19 antigen test at pilot festival"

Yet it was a false positive.

The headline is deliberately misleading. It's focusing on the negative which is what RTE have been doing for 18 months. How are people still not getting this? The evidence is there every single day.

• Advertisement

How are people still not getting this? The evidence is there every single day.

"None so blind as those that won't see."

Advertisement