Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Graham wrote: »
    Let's assume the main purpose of the headline is to get you to read the article.

Did it work?

Did you read it?

Did you understand the sentence:

"However, that person then took a PCR test, which later came back negative for Covid-19.".

Was there any part of that sentence you think would confuse people?

On average 8 out of 10 people just read the headline with 2 bothering to read the main article.

But RTE probably don’t even realise that, poor divils sure they’re only trying their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

On a side note to the event in Kilmainham, I noticed they're not calling them test events anymore, they're now pilot events. I suppose given that they operate under so many guidelines I guess nothing worth while is being tested (excluding the entry test) so no harm in dropping the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Here's the RTE headline:

"One positive Covid-19 antigen test at pilot festival"

Yet it was a false positive.

The headline is deliberately misleading. It's focusing on the negative which is what RTE have been doing for 18 months. How are people still not getting this? The evidence is there every single day.

But one positive antigen test was found at the festival......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

hynesie08 wrote: »
    But one positive antigen test was found at the festival......

But no positive cases. Which is what the headline should've been. It's not that difficult to grasp.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

the kelt wrote: »
    On average 8 out of 10 people just read the headline with 2 bothering to read the main article.

and 11.83 out of every 12 statistics are made up.

If someone can't be bothered to read beyond a headline I'm not sure there's much you can do to help them understand the contents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Was looking to get 2 tickets for taste of Dublin in September. Tickets are only for sale in a "pod of 6" or "pod of 4" - looks like this will similar to the 'pilot' event in Kilmainham. Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I just don't know what planet RTE are on. Surely they don't believe the **** they are putting out. I know they are doing very well out of Covid advertising but surely people as individuals want to go back to some normality?

The sham "Pilot Event" coverage was Uber positive. No comparisons to the lifting of restrictions elsewhere or the fact that they have been doing far more ambitious events elsewhere for months. I just don't understand what is in it for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

the kelt wrote: »

…..,.,.

How do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Allinall wrote: »
    How can something be accurate and misleading?

That’s just silly.
    One positive Covid-19 antigen test is accurate but incomplete.

"One positive Covid-19 antigen test but PCR negative" is accurate and complete.

You'd still click to read the article.

But no positive cases. Which is what the headline should've been. It's not that difficult to grasp.

Second sentence of the article.

Really not that difficult to grasp.

You have to laugh at the outrage from people that apparently can't be bothered reading beyond headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Allinall wrote: »
    How do you know this?

Basic marketing, social science to be honest, honestly presumed most people would be aware, obviously not or else wilful ignorance at play.

Some say 70% others say more than 80%, general rule of thumb is only 1 in 5 read past the headline

Yawn.

I'm talking about the headline
    Where did I mention the contents of the article?

Again, this isn't difficult

You have to laugh at the outrage from people that apparently can't be bothered reading beyond headlines.
    You could always ignore them and not get twiggered on your high horse yourself! It's a pretty crap click bait headline BTW and not much of an article.

is_that_so wrote: »
    You could always ignore them and not get twiggered on your high horse yourself! It's a pretty crap click bait headline BTW and not much of an article.

and yet it's generated an enormous amount of conversation even here.

Mission accomplished.

and yet it's generated an enormous amount of conversation even here.

Mission accomplished.
    You really must have no life at all if this is an exciting point of your day! I'll leave you to game playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No. They didn't

Not sure why there's a determined effort to misinterpret the headline for the purposes of being outraged by it.

There was a (singular) positive test. That's exactly what the headline suggests.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

130,000 people at the Austrian Grand Prix today. Obviously they haven't a clue what they are doing either and need to get onto NPHET quickly to learn the error of their ways.

Very similar Covid stats to Ireland except in testing. They do a lot more testing than here because they have embraced antigen tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mission accomplished.

How ironic.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I see The RTE app reporting main headline 1 person out of the 4000 tested positive with an antigen test from the concert last night. Then a further PCR test was negative. Lol why is it even a headline?

Because it will allow Scare Byrne to have a whole radio show tomorrow devoted to getting large gatherings banned.

Case numbers rising. We will be back in some sort of lockdown by the august bank holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Case numbers rising. We will be back in some sort of lockdown by the august bank holiday.

Why? We'll have well over 5m doses of vaccines done by then, over 40s full vaccinated and many 39-18 both one vaccine or fully vaccinated with Jansen.

UK continuing its plateau of Delta cases.

24,248 new cases and 15 deaths, both lower than yesterday.

This would be the equivalent of 1,865 new cases here with 1 death.

Tony can fook right off if he continues to propose keeping hospitality closed beyond 19 July.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Didn't you say earlier that social distancing and face masks are a small price to pay to avoid lockdowns? Throw in 4.5m vaccine doses, so why exactly would we need another lockdown*?

*Caveat: I think Tony and NPHET will very likely want another lockdown but it makes no sense given where we are at.

It's quite incredible that there are still people trying to spread terror and sow uncertainty and nervousness.

There are fourteen people out of a population of five million requiring intensive care treatment.

You really need to let it go.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Didn't you say earlier that social distancing and face masks are a small price to pay to avoid lockdowns?

The extremists will always argue for lockdown. Their sabotage of the vaccination campaign to try and get another lockdown is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

I would imagine indoor dining 2022 is achievable.

Any update on all those reinfections in healthcare workers that you told us about last year?

eskimohunt wrote: »

Yeah, there's been a hint of that over the last week. Another few days downward will set a trend.

It's still not much outside the range we've seen of 400-500 cases a day. Vaccinations and hospitalisations are all that matter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Didn't you say earlier that social distancing and face masks are a small price to pay to avoid lockdowns? Throw in 4.5m vaccine doses, so why exactly would we need another lockdown*?

*Caveat: I think Tony and NPHET will very likely want another lockdown but it makes no sense given where we are at.

Yeah but who is going to stand up to Tony??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

eskimohunt wrote: »

Tony can fook right off if he continues to propose keeping hospitality closed beyond 19 July.

Are there any theories as to why cases over there have plateaued? Is it just a blip or is it going to be longer term trend, I wonder.
    Didn't the same thing happen in India?

Advertisement