Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I believe there is a desire there, but there is no unity whatsoever. They need to unionise and defy. If a certain amount defys the government, it reaches critical mass and its game over government, and game over nphet.

What's next, not paying taxes, fines etc...
    I highly doubt they would have the majority of the public support.
    I see like 1 or 2 supporting him on that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Wolf359f wrote: »
    If people are dying for a pint, they would have no issue sitting under parasol drinking. Smokers have endured the outdoor smoking areas for years. But even on the UK reddit group, in light of rising cases etc... you can see a few people saying they will be extra cautious until they get their second jab etc...

What are you even on about, who said anybody was dying for a pint?

The OP said he was in two outdoor pubs that were not busy, casually throwing in the fact that the weather was ****e almost as if it was an afterthought when in fact it would be the single most relevant factor to the whole damn conversation.

Now you seem to be saying that if people were hardcore enough they would brave the ****e weather, which seems to be spectacularly missing the point altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

.... what's your take?
    We should make proof of vaccination a requirement for events like for that concert?

Be like Wuhan back in May and put your hands up like you don't care ...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/arts-and-entertainment/2109211/thousands-of-revellers-attend-wuhan-music-festival

MOR316 wrote: »
    It's a whole can of worms.

That gig was for vaccinated people only (FF in MSG) but, I personally don't agree with it
    That farce in Dublin yesterday...Less said about it, the better. I don't wanna get over emotional.

There was nothing stopping Ireland, having a proper test event yesterday. It was done for PR and press reasons, as you can see today in the papers. I have a mate who was there yesterday. His public opinion was the opposite as to what he told me.

It was pathetic!

If you want that sector to come back, you use real experiences to test it! You don't separate them like Donkeys! You learn nothing otherwise.

It was a PR stunt...That message on the screen during it...They can go and **** off!! I'm disgusted and hurt

You cannot do that to people who don't wish to take the vaccine or to people medically can't take it or people haven't been offered it.
    So you posted a video of a concert in the US where all have to have proof they were fully vaccinated and you response when I asked your takes was..... You don't agree with it?
    I'm sorry, I though you were posting the video to show how the USA is reopening better then Ireland. But what you meant was you don't agree with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I believe there is a desire there, but there is no unity whatsoever. They need to unionise and defy.

Bit late to be organising that 12.30 the night before...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They are good at cancelling these things the night before...

Im not aware of an actual movement in place but thats not to say that others wont join Treyvaud and defy the bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Im not aware of an actual movement in place but thats not to say that others wont join Treyvaud and defy the bull****

I just think SME owners are about the last group in Irish society to martyr themselves for any cause, even their own sector's interests. They will huff and puff but when the threat of large fines, losing their licences etc. comes into play they'll knuckle under...

What's next, not paying taxes, fines etc...
    I highly doubt they would have the majority of the public support.
    I see like 1 or 2 supporting him on that page.

Your taking a leap here. Being denied the opportunity to make a living because of inept dopes who made recommendations based on out of date information is different to not paying a fine. They have waited long enough to reopen. they should defend their livelihoods if they care passionately enough because if it goes beyond tomorrow, there is no guarantee whether they will ever reopen. In Italy, a huge amount of restaurants opened and defied the law a few months back. Paul Treyhaud has set his stall out on this with weeks. No reason why others cannot join him. In particular, if the gardai turn the blind eye then word will spread and it will be like a domino effect.

I just think SME owners are about the last group in Irish society to martyr themselves for any cause, even their own sector's interests. They will huff and puff but when the threat of large fines, losing their licences etc. comes into play they'll knuckle under...

Probably.....I hope they show strength though and see it through. And I hope the punters support them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

So you posted a video of a concert in the US where all have to have proof they were fully vaccinated and you response when I asked your takes was..... You don't agree with it?
    I'm sorry, I though you were posting the video to show how the USA is reopening better then Ireland. But what you meant was you don't agree with it?

Ireland is a ****ing mess, pal! If you want to stay in denial, that's your business. If you want to ignore a **** health service, that's your business..

However, you're 100% right. That was very hypocritcal of me to post that clip. I don't agree with what I see as discrimination and you're right to call me out on it. I just got over emotive...

However, I have family and friends in that city and I see how it's now back to normal. I see how their lives are back to what it somewhat used to be and it hurts...I see people attending theatres, sports events, live music events, pubs, clubs, art festivals, where it's not a case of "vaccine passports" and it stings!! To be blunt about it, I often think about the otherside...It's not easy to cope at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Do ye reckon with the rate of vaccination, and the interest from young people in getting vaccinated, that the mask mandate will be dropped before the end of the year?

MOR316 wrote: »
    Ireland is a ****ing mess, pal! If you want to stay in denial, that's your business. If you want to ignore a **** health service, that's your business..

However, you're 100% right. That was very hypocritcal of me to post that clip. I don't agree with what I see as discrimination and you're right to call me out on it. I just got over emotive...

However, I have family and friends in that city and I see how it's now back to normal. I see how their lives are back to what it somewhat used to be and it hurts...I see people attending theatres, sports events, live music events, pubs, clubs, art festivals, where it's not a case of "vaccine passports" and it stings!! To be blunt about it, I often think about the otherside...It's not easy to cope at times.
    I'm not in denial, I know we're outliers in Europe (in indoor dining) we've also had among the highest case counts in Europe. Had we gotten to Germany's level, we'd have a fraction of the cases we have. Why we don't... I'd love to know.
    I think the whole country knows we have a been left short changed with out healthcare service, I would't go so far as to call it ****. You can insult a lot of dedicated HCW's with statements like that. Best say is a **** management.

And don't post videos when you're trying to make a point but the video is completely against your point. Maybe you were hoping to illicit a response and hope nobody checked up on the concert?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

shocksy wrote: »
    If it wasn't known before (however, it was to many) the covid pandemic, this country has a really serious drinking problem. I await the posters who will jump on this post. However, no matter what way people try and defend it, it is true and really disturbing. There are people frothing at the mouth waiting to be able to drink indoors again and get absolutely stupid drunk again. The whole "social argument" doesn't cut it. It's a lame excuse. There are plenty of other ways to be social. However, all most people can think of doing in this country to be social is getting $hit faced drunk. It's pure desperation in a way that alcohol is their only "fun" way of being social with friends and family etc. It's a sad state of affairs when all people can think of doing is getting into a pub again. Thankfully I don't fit into this part of the population. I'm not anti drinking before anyone says it, but there is serious alcohol addiction in this country that many won't dare admit too. There is also a major drinking problem in this country to the extent that certain cohorts of society won't acknowledge it and will fight to the death on internet forums to deny it exists.

Your post/rant failed to mention the following:
    Indoor dining, all those people mad to get drunk with a Sunday roast with the kids or grabbing lunch with colleagues. Disgraceful.
    Tourists looking for something to eat after a day of, well acting as a tourist. Disgraceful carry on.
    10's of thousands of jobs. Totally understand you find those jobs disgraceful.
    Businesses paying the huge amount of various taxes and charges.
    I could go on. Still no mention of pints though why, because indoor hospitality does not equal going and getting blind drunk.

Do ye reckon with the rate of vaccination, and the interest from young people in getting vaccinated, that the mask mandate will be dropped before the end of the year?

Honestly, i dont envisage that useless shower removing any restrictions. They need to be disbanded now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

I'm not in denial, I know we're outliers in Europe (in indoor dining) we've also had among the highest case counts in Europe. Had we gotten to Germany's level, we'd have a fraction of the cases we have. Why we don't... I'd love to know.
    I think the whole country knows we have a been left short changed with out healthcare service, I would't go so far as to call it ****. You can insult a lot of dedicated HCW's with statements like that. Best say is a **** management.

And don't post videos when you're trying to make a point but the video is completely against your point. Maybe you were hoping to illicit a response and hope nobody checked up on the concert?

If you think it's all about "indoor dining" you're massively mistaken.

In terms of that gig clip I posted, the emotion got the better of me and I openly admit that, like I said in my original response. I didn't check the facts and once I did, I said I disagreed. I was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looking at CNN now the virus is dead in US, zero distancing, proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

What I find unbelievable is that Nphet don't want to be part of the government talks with the leaders of the hospitality industry later today, they want to wait until talks progress and enter the talks at a later date.
    = no indoor anything this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Pubs and restaurants want to scrap social distancing in return for vaccine passes, as reported here. Seems like a fair proposal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

JTMan wrote: »
    Pubs and restaurants want to scrap social distancing in return for vaccine passes, as reported here. Seems like a fair proposal to me.

Didn't NPHET already say that venues could be at 100% capacity if everyone in the premises was vaccinated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

NT just talking about the expected UK announcement today of full removal of mandatory restrictions on the 19th

Guest from the UK Times summed it up really well.. The message will be that it's time to take control of your lives back and do what's right for you.

Agrees that the public opinion shows a cautious attitude and reckons that some will continue to wear masks and socially distance or whatever, some won't, but society will find a balance.

Absolutely how it should be at this stage, especially as they made the point that the link between rising cases and a surge in hospitalisation and deaths has been broken.

Meanwhile over here.. Hysteria over rising cases increasing despite extremely low hospitalisation, ads on the radio about the "race to beat the variant" and to avoid crowds etc, and no plan at all - just a plan to have a plan :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,403 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    NT just talking about the expected UK announcement today of full removal of mandatory restrictions on the 19th

Guest from the UK Times summed it up really well.. The message will be that it's time to take control of your lives back and do what's right for you.

Agrees that the public opinion shows a cautious attitude and reckons that some will continue to wear masks and socially distance or whatever, some won't, but society will find a balance.

Absolutely how it should be at this stage, especially as they made the point that the link between rising cases and a surge in hospitalisation and deaths has been broken.

Meanwhile over here.. Hysteria over rising cases increasing despite extremely low hospitalisation, ads on the radio about the "race to beat the variant" and to avoid crowds etc, and no plan at all - just a plan to have a plan :rolleyes:

Perceived hysteria. Vast majority of the country is living life as normal.

No indoor dining and indoor pints. Apart from that the country is open. Maybe people shouid go out and enjoy life. Everyone I know is getting on with things, rather than whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

6 wrote: »

No indoor dining and indoor pints. Apart from that the country is open. Maybe people shouid go out and enjoy life. Everyone I know is getting on with things, rather than whinging.

Sitting outside in the rain, having to wear masks every time you go into a shop, not being able to open your business or go back to work, asked to treat everyone you come into contact with (and yourself) as a potential plague carrier, and other Covid mandates is not living life as normal.

The only ones "whinging" are those who really resent the idea of other people living their own lives again and not feeling as concerned about the virus or variants as they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Exactly. I know the internet does anger and rage better than anywhere but the past few days has been ridiculous. Its been a completely ott reaction to what - the restriction on indoor hospitality.

Just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,403 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Sitting outside in the rain, having to wear masks every time you go into a shop, not being able to open your business or go back to work, asked to treat everyone you come into contact with (and yourself) as a potential plague carrier, and other Covid mandates is not living life as normal.

The only ones "whinging" are those who really resent the idea of other people living their own lives again and not feeling as concerned about the virus or variants as they do.

Wearing a mask in a shop is a minor inconvenience. Trivial at best.

Absolutely feel sorry for people not able to open their business. It's not bring done on a whim.

Treating all contacts as potential plague carriers? Hysterical point. The vast majority will be vaccinated soon anyway. I

Again, I don't know anyone worried about variants. Let the experts worry about that stuff.

Someone told me me last year to only worry about things you can control yourself. Simple, but so true. Don't worry about things you can't personally control, and go live your life.

I honestly think a lot of people get sucked into negative echo chambers, particularly on social media. Can't do them any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

In fairness there is hysteria out there. I can see it with older family members and people in the community. Frightened by RTE, genuinely. RTE is still the main source of information for a large cohort of people in this country and to be honest it’s frustrating. I find myself getting caught up trying to bring balance to it all in conversations but some people won’t listen.

For example, family get together at the weekend. 15 adults all fully vaccinated, Some afraid they’ll still catch the virus, some afraid the guards will raid the place. You’d have to feel sorry for some people, the effects of this will last a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

"The country is open"

Can you easily travel to Ireland without any hindrance?
    Do you need to wear masks indoors?
    Can you go to a club?
    Can you drink inside?
    Can I eat inside?
    Can I invite as many people as I want to a wedding?
    Can I go to a communion?
    Do I need to quarantine in Ireland even if I'm fully vaccinated and have a negative PCR?

Open.. you don't seem to have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Exactly. I know the internet does anger and rage better than anywhere but the past few days has been ridiculous. Its been a completely ott reaction to what - the restriction on indoor hospitality.

Just get on with it.

Absolutely despise that attitude. Just get on with it. Don't like nuns and Christian brothers beating the ****e out of you? Sure you are poor so just get on with it. Can't buy or rent a house? Oh whinging millennial, just get on with it. Ruined by the celtic tiger? Well you shouldn't have been greedy, just get on with it.

It's not about indoor dining or hospitality. It's about the way the country is. The deference to a "higher" authority, the way we are behind every single other country in terms of restrictions. The way the government constantly want to be the best boys. The cringefest that is these so called pilot events that have been run. It's embarrassing. I never thought Ireland would embarrass me but it does at the minute. And it's not our fault, it's those who were put into power who are not doing their job and doing what they were put there to do.

I've no doubt it will get better but that's where a lot of people sit at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

The fact that this seems normal and perfectly fine for some people is a scary thought to be honest.

You’re friends and neighbours having their livelihoods devastated, sure it’s grand, just get on with it.

Ye want to travel abroad to visit family or heaven forbid take a holiday, €2000 fine, but sure that’s grand, that’s normal, why the whinging? Just get on with it.

The more this goes on the more ye see the pure selfishness of those who it doesn’t really affect and the “I’m alright jack” so screw everyone else attitude.

It’s amazing how many people care about COVID yet have zero empathy apart from that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Wearing a mask in a shop is a minor inconvenience. Trivial at best.

Absolutely feel sorry for people not able to open their business. It's not bring done on a whim.

Treating all contacts as potential plague carriers? Hysterical point. The vast majority will be vaccinated soon anyway. I

Again, I don't know anyone worried about variants. Let the experts worry about that stuff.

Someone told me me last year to only worry about things you can control yourself. Simple, but so true. Don't worry about things you can't personally control, and go live your life.

I honestly think a lot of people get sucked into negative echo chambers, particularly on social media. Can't do them any good.

So if you have a friend or family member who’s in a bad way for whatever reason due to COVID restrictions whatever they are, you can’t do anything about those, can’t control those restrictions so don’t worry about them!

They’re lucky people so!

Advertisement