Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

6 wrote: »
    Wearing a mask in a shop is a minor inconvenience. Trivial at best.

Absolutely feel sorry for people not able to open their business. It's not bring done on a whim.

Treating all contacts as potential plague carriers? Hysterical point. The vast majority will be vaccinated soon anyway. I

Again, I don't know anyone worried about variants. Let the experts worry about that stuff.

Someone told me me last year to only worry about things you can control yourself. Simple, but so true. Don't worry about things you can't personally control, and go live your life.

I honestly think a lot of people get sucked into negative echo chambers, particularly on social media. Can't do them any good.

I agree with your post bar the first part. Wearing a mask is not trivial when you work in the shop. I was working in retail during parts of the pandemic and had to wear it for 8 hours a day plus another 2 hours for commuting. It's not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

the kelt wrote: »
    The fact that this seems normal and perfectly fine for some people is a scary thought to be honest.

You’re friends and neighbours having their livelihoods devastated, sure it’s grand, just get on with it.

They aren't affected by it. Sitting at home with family and pension telling everybody else that life is easy, it doesn't really affect them so when they get bored you see the "who actually cares" mentality slipping through.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wearing a mask in a shop is a minor inconvenience. Trivial at best.

In your opinion. It's also normalising this nonsense and the idea that there's something to fear (when in truth the vast majority of people are at no real risk) for the long term as in fact you've just done
    Absolutely feel sorry for people not able to open their business. It's not bring done on a whim.

Nope. It seems to be primarily because Tony Holohan has an issue with alcohol consumption. Hotels are open to guests, HSE facilities have been open throughout. There's no logic or reason for continuing to restrict only some hospitality businesses.
    Treating all contacts as potential plague carriers? Hysterical point. The vast majority will be vaccinated soon anyway.

The vast majority of people who are actually at any real potential risk are indeed as already vaccinated yet we still have ads on the radio telling people to avoid crowds and maintain social distancing, and NPHET previously telling people to treat others (and themselves) as potential carriers.
    Again, I don't know anyone worried about variants. Let the experts worry about that stuff.

Someone told me me last year to only worry about things you can control yourself. Simple, but so true. Don't worry about things you can't personally control, and go live your life.

An admirable sentiment, however the ability to "go live your life" is noticeably hampered to various degrees so long as this nonsense continues.

What you're suggesting is accepting and normalising the current situation. No thanks - I want to be able to do the things I did, in the way I did them, before all this started.

That's living life again.
    I honestly think a lot of people get sucked into negative echo chambers, particularly on social media. Can't do them any good.

What I find interesting in that regard is people continuing to visit threads that clearly annoy them, and whose only contribution is to to complain that the majority of views expressed don't suit their take on the issue.

This thread is about the relaxation of restrictions. Stands to reason that the majority will want this to happen as quickly as possible and will quite naturally object to arguments (either from posters or NPHET/others) that prevent that - especially where those arguments make no logical sense in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

the kelt wrote: »
    The fact that this seems normal and perfectly fine for some people is a scary thought to be honest.

You’re friends and neighbours having their livelihoods devastated, sure it’s grand, just get on with it.

Ye want to travel abroad to visit family or heaven forbid take a holiday, €2000 fine, but sure that’s grand, that’s normal, why the whinging? Just get on with it.

The more this goes on the more ye see the pure selfishness of those who it doesn’t really affect and the “I’m alright jack” so screw everyone else attitude.

It’s amazing how many people care about COVID yet have zero empathy apart from that!

Normal, no nothing has been normal since last March. But what were being asked to do is tolerable. The current level of restrictions are not a big ask and if they are what is necessary to prevent a step change in mixing and disease spread then so be it.

So yeah, just get on with it.

Step change.

Sounds like we have a new scare word we'll soon be seeing everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,403 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

bear1 wrote: »
    "The country is open"

Can you easily travel to Ireland without any hindrance?
    Do you need to wear masks indoors?
    Can you go to a club?
    Can you drink inside?
    Can I eat inside?
    Can I invite as many people as I want to a wedding?
    Can I go to a communion?
    Do I need to quarantine in Ireland even if I'm fully vaccinated and have a negative PCR?

Open.. you don't seem to have a clue.

Drink and dine inside? It'll come, hardly a deal breaker in order to exist.

A communion? Seriously? A lot of parents are delighted, and are instead treating their kids to a day of fun without the religoius nonsense.

A smaller wedding? Again, this is trivial.

None of us the things you mentioned stops the vast majority of people having a perfectly normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Normal, no nothing has been normal since last March. But what were being asked to do is tolerable. The current level of restrictions are not a big ask and if they are what is necessary to prevent a step change in mixing and disease spread then so be it.

So yeah, just get on with it.

It’s tolerable for you obviously. Genuinely it’s also tolerable for me.

But not everyone, that’s my point. Just telling people to get on with it displays a lack of empathy and consideration for other, in other words “I’m alright jack, screw you”

Yes the current restrictions aren’t a big ask when everyone is in this together like last March, when everyone was in the same boat.

When you look and see the rest of Europe getting on with their lives and Ireland despite everything it has going for it a complete outlier in getting in with it, what do you expect?

But sure hey just get on with it and stop asking questions. Sure it’s grand, stop whingeing you there with your life in tatters!

corkonion wrote: »
    What I find unbelievable is that Nphet don't want to be part of the government talks with the leaders of the hospitality industry later today, they want to wait until talks progress and enter the talks at a later date.
    = no indoor anything this year.

Tony and NPHET lowering themselves to speak to those people! Come on, we know that’s not happening.

They are sending a representative though I was reading this morning. One of those revolving road signs you see sometimes at road works with the word “NO” written on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Archeron

Breakingnews.ie report I seen this morning saying we only have 40 ICU beds available across the entire country. If memory serves this time last year we had over 200 with a promise to significantly increase capacity. I ain't no big city doctor but that sure seems like a whoe load of bollix to me. So what happened in the past year that ICU capacity has gone down so significantly?
    Was there an earthquake that I didn't hear about that injured many people?
    Are people suffering from other illnesses due to covid only focus that those poor souls are now ending up in ICU?, and which should have been prevented?
    Did we perhaps spend so much money on testing that we failed to put the money into actual investment in the health service? Where is that money gone again? Oh we're not allowed are we, sorry.
    Are the media talking out of their arses and continuing their attempt to terrify people?

If after a year and a half of this, we find ourselves in position with the hospitalss waaaaay worse than this time last year, then heads should roll. Far too much passing the buck going on, let's blame the children, let's blame the young, let's blame pretty much anybody except those being handsomely paid to get us through this and who made it into a clusterf*ck the likes of which will go down in history
    I don't drink much so the indoor pubs doesn't bother me, but I feel for those who work there and who rely on it to socialize. What's making me nauseous are the power hungry arrogant egotistical clowns who think we should just do as we're told without asking any questions.

The arrogance of those who are picking and choosing what they will answer, what meetings they will go to is astounding. In any other industry or role, you do as you're requested to do or else you know where the door is. In any other industry many of these clowns would have been fired a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭prunudo

Perceived hysteria. Vast majority of the country is living life as normal.

No indoor dining and indoor pints. Apart from that the country is open. Maybe people shouid go out and enjoy life. Everyone I know is getting on with things, rather than whinging.

You raise an interesting point, the vast majority are going about their lives as normally as can be expected and many pushing the boundaries of the guidelines, certainly in their personal lives.

This may expalin the contuined relatively high case numbers, which begs the question, would we actually see the tsunami, hurricane or any other hyped up adjectives they want to use.
    One thing is for sure though, there is a vocal minority who are hysterical about the virus and the risks of reopening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Archeron wrote: »
    Breakingnews.ie report I seen this morning saying we only have 40 ICU beds available across the entire country. If memory serves this time last year we had over 200 with a promise to significantly increase capacity. I ain't no big city doctor but that sure seems like a whoe load of bollix to me. So what happened in the past year that ICU capacity has gone down so significantly?
    Are people suffering from other illnesses due to covid only focus that those poor souls are now ending up in ICU?, and which should have been prevented?
    Did we perhaps spend so much money on testing that we failed to put the money into actual investment in the health service? Where is that money gone again? Oh we're not allowed are we, sorry.
    Are the media talking out of their arses and continuing their attempt to terrify people?

If after a year and a half of this, we find ourselves in position with the hospitalss waaaaay worse than this time last year, then heads should roll. Far too much passing the buck going on, let's blame the children, let's blame the young, let's blame pretty much anybody except those being handsomely paid to get us through this and who made it into a clusterf*ck the likes of which will go down in history
    I don't drink much so the indoor pubs doesn't bother me, but I feel for those who work there and who rely on it to socialize. What's making me nauseous are the power hungry arrogant egotistical clowns who think we should just do as we're told without asking any questions.

The arrogance of those who are picking and choosing what they will answer, what meetings they will go to is astounding. In any other industry or role, you do as you're requested to do or else you know where the door is. In any other industry many of these clowns would have been fired a long time ago.

The rest is in the private sector - I imagine the contract they had in place has run its course, so reality is we can instantly activate lots more ICU beds.

Mind you thats just a guess from what i remember from earlier in pandemic.

Archeron wrote: »

So restrictions in place anyway even with close to zero COVID patients potentially?

Nah that’s just an out there conspiracy theory.

But sure it grand, just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Its not just down to indoor dining and hospitality that some people think for the country to open up.

Try having a loved one in hospital and getting treatment for cancer with nobody allowed to visit them while they battle this terrible illness alone. I had to do this with my father for 7 months of his treatment. He eventually died in hospital and we could only visit him for the 2 last 2 weeks of his life. My mother got to spend 3 weeks with him, (he got home for a total 3 weeks in those 7 months). This is happening across the country to families every day. No one deserves to spend their last few months in hospital alone. I understand the importance of protecting others in the hospital and staff too but if the country was open as people are suggesting this wouldn't have to happen.

So for those saying just get on with the country is open, its far from it and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone to go through what my family had to because of these restrictions and lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

My dad went in to get his knee done. He got on very well, but none of us were allowed into the hospital at all to help him, despite both being vaccinated. Very hard for him.

My mum has Parkinsons, and her first appointment with the consultant is November. She is point blank refusing to go to it unless she can have one of us in with her. Hopefully things will change by then, but she is already fretting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Ad on the radio from our government this morning:
    ‘Be cautious on your staycation’

Luckily the car stereo isn’t throwable

My dad went in to get his knee done. He got on very well, but none of us were allowed into the hospital at all to help him, despite both being vaccinated. Very hard for him.

My mum has Parkinsons, and her first appointment with the consultant is November. She is point blank refusing to go to it unless she can have one of us in with her. Hopefully things will change by then, but she is already fretting about it.

Sure according to a few of the boyos on here, just get on with it, quit your whinging, sure apart from not being able to have a pint or meals indoors it’s just normal.

It horrible, I’ve been in your situation, hopefully by November things will have changed by then but looking at our crowd and how they operate I wouldn’t be banking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Multipass wrote: »

Staycation... ffs I despise this term.

So many plans for travel from late July, Aug, Sep, Nov and Dec... fcuk the joke that is stay****ingcation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Drink and dine inside? It'll come, hardly a deal breaker in order to exist.

A communion? Seriously? A lot of parents are delighted, and are instead treating their kids to a day of fun without the religoius nonsense.

A smaller wedding? Again, this is trivial.

None of us the things you mentioned stops the vast majority of people having a perfectly normal life.

You didn't answer the rest of my questions.
    For you they may be signs of freedom but they are in no way signs of normality.
    Are you seriously suggesting that our freedoms now are the same as in 2019?
    If yes then why?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Stay in Ireland where you can watch the rain in different scenery, pay the equivalent of a week in a 5 star hotel in Spain for 2 nights of mediocrity, enjoy a dinner outside if it doesn't get washed off your plate first and enjoy the craic of standing outside pubs you could be in only for the fact they are closed. Who in their right mind would spend a single cent on staying here for a holiday? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

There is an absolute fortune being spent on these radio ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I find it incredible how many people out there are making the UK's removal of restrictions on the 19th out to be a negative thing.

Talk about stockholm syndrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

AdamD wrote: »
    I find it incredible how many people out there are making the UK's removal of restrictions on the 19th out to be a negative thing.

Talk about stockholm syndrome

And they amount of people that will only be delighted to see their hospitals fill up again if it justifies us staying locked up to help them feel safe. I pity the miserable existance they are going back to when this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

So I see by July 19th UK really do seem to be leaving all restrictions behind, of course some scientific "experts" are warning about "variant factories" because of this.

When will it be OK for these people ?
    100% are vaccinated ? but remember, at 100% vaccination the people that got it first will most likely need a booster, so we will never be at 100%, so when is good enough or safe enough ?

I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on here that support NPHET - I'm genuinely curious.

I had a good laugh listening to Newstalk this morning, when one presenter asked the other about their "staycation" last week.

"Where did you go Ciara?"
    "Lough Erne, it was absolutely lovely"

I know the checkpoints are gone but I thought people knew where Fermanagh was...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

The better half and myself took a stroll into Dublin city centre yesterday afternoon, was class to see the city all decked out with outdoor dining, something that had always been seen across the World with climates for it and never here. Made the city centre look a bit classier.

Enjoyed a couple of tasty Guinness until the weather turned ugly. Luckily the places we were in had umbrellas but that didn't stop us from getting wet on one side of our bodies and as much as we were enjoying the Sunday pints, we had to call it a day earlier than we would have liked.

Not sustainable to enjoy outdoor dining when it's literally píssíng out of the heavens. I felt sorry for the waitress looking after us who was soaked from making the journey from the restaurant to the dining outside but given the news in the last week, it's people like her who the decision makers in this country ultimately don't care about.

A number of places near where we live inevitably closed early with no umbrellas or proper outdoor space. I'm hoping that could be the catalyst along with everything else to stand against this charade, we're not Spain and if the forecast is to be believed, it'll happen throughout the week.

It's simply not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

mikekerry wrote: »
    There is an absolute fortune being spent on these radio ads.

It really really gets on my wick - would love to know how much the govt has given to RTÉ and other stations to pump out this crap at regular intervals, it’s like North Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Jizique wrote: »
    It really really gets on my wick - would love to know how much the govt has given to RTÉ and other stations to pump out this crap at regular intervals, it’s like North Korea

"There are better days ahead" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

RTE are in profit for the first time since colour televisions came out, thanks to government spending on utterly stupid ads like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

I had a good laugh listening to Newstalk this morning, when one presenter asked the other about their "staycation" last week.

"Where did you go Ciara?"
    "Lough Erne, it was absolutely lovely"

I know the checkpoints are gone but I thought people knew where Fermanagh was...

Everything open up there, Shane should have asked if she had any indoor dining experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So the HSE have said they have only 40 ICU beds available ahead of the delta wave.

There's the reason for this ****show.

260/300 are occupied.

Advertisement