Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

OwenM wrote: »
    RTE are in profit for the first time since colour televisions came out, thanks to government spending on utterly stupid ads like this.

Let’s get rid of the tv license if the govt are just going to fund them directly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I love this

40f3wx3v8a571.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

So the HSE have said they have only 40 ICU beds available ahead of the delta wave.

There's the reason for this ****show.

260/300 are occupied.

260 Covid patients ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

TomSweeney wrote: »
    260 Covid patients ?

14 are Covid. Probably full from people with undetected/untreated illnesses when we effectively suspended the health service for a year plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yes unfortunately one “ireland specific” factor is the limitations of the health system in terms of capacity.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    14 are Covid. Probably full from people with undetected/untreated illnesses when we effectively suspended the health service for a year plus.

Yes, that is probably it. We didn't always run at near ICU capacity pre-pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

TomSweeney wrote: »
    So I see by July 19th UK really do seem to be leaving all restrictions behind, of course some scientific "experts" are warning about "variant factories" because of this.

When will it be OK for these people ?
    100% are vaccinated ? but remember, at 100% vaccination the people that got it first will most likely need a booster, so we will never be at 100%, so when is good enough or safe enough ?

I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on here that support NPHET - I'm genuinely curious.

I wouldn't be looking too closely at what the UK are doing to be honest. They've hardly been a model of competent governance throughout this whole thing.

That said, the sooner we get to that point of opening up the better. I'm not a supporter of NPHET, its not like its a football team thing where one blindly supports no matter what. I think they've got lots of things right and some things wrong. Their communications have been absolutely abysmal throughout but people's frustrations have also led to intentionally misinterpreting the message at the same time when it suits the argument.

I don't believe we'll come anywhere close to their scenarios with the delta variant because I think if we even began to see those kind of numbers we'd be back in level 5 in a heartbeat.

I honestly think they'd have gotten a far better response if they'd said simply ".....we're well on track to reopen, but due to the delays with vaccine deliveries over April/May, we're still a few weeks away from having enough people jabbed for it to be safe, so we need to hold off for a month...." or something to that effect. I think most people would have seen that as fairly reasonable rather than saying we could be closed til September.

Or they should have gone with the Denmark coronapass idea and flagged it from months ago so we could be ready in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

corkonion wrote: »
    What I find unbelievable is that Nphet don't want to be part of the government talks with the leaders of the hospitality industry later today, they want to wait until talks progress and enter the talks at a later date.
    = no indoor anything this year.

It's not NPHETs role to get involved with negotiation with different sectors. That's government.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

So the HSE have said they have only 40 ICU beds available ahead of the delta wave.

There's the reason for this ****show.

260/300 are occupied.

NPHET should be recommending a full review of spending and waste in the HSE because that is what a lot of it comes back to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

It's not NPHETs role to get involved with negotiation with different sectors. That's government.

You’re right. It’s NPHETs role to destroy those industries seemingly. And boy are they doing a great job!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

NPHET should be recommending a full review of spending and waste in the HSE because that is what a lot of it comes back to
    How exactly would they do that, they only advise on management of the disease?

I just saw yesterday on my Facebook memories that we were in Waterford this time last year doing the Greenway. After we finished we had lunch in a pub. Yes, IN a pub. That was without masks and more importantly without vaccines. Now a year later WITH both of those things in place we can’t eat inside. Can someone please ****ing explain this situation to me because I just don’t get it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I just saw yesterday on my Facebook memories that we were in Waterford this time last year doing the Greenway. After we finished we had lunch in a pub. Yes, IN a pub. That was without masks and more importantly without vaccines. Now a year later WITH both of those things in place we can’t eat inside. Can someone please ****ing explain this situation to me because I just don’t get it.

Level 5 requirements were needed after that brief period of opening. The goal is never again with full lockdown.

Also variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

is_that_so wrote: »
    How exactly would they do that, they only advise on management of the disease?

A contributory factor in their consideration for opening up is whether or not the hospitals can handle the upsurge in admissions.

Part of the reason we cannot open to the same extent as other countries is that our health system could not handle the same number of patients. I see the waste and inefficiency as a key driver in that and therefore very relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just listening to Kingston Mills on radio 1, he's always been pro Antigen testing but he's clearly very concerned about how such tests would work in pubs, restaurants. Fine for larger, controlled events but logistically would be extremely problematic in hospitality settings, notwithstanding verification issues, I personally can not see this working as being part of any proposal re reopening hospitality. Some owners interviewed yesterday also saying its unworkable and yet RAI pushing it as part of negotiations with GOV.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'd say we weren't too far away from each other, we were outdoors eating and having a few pints, told after about an hour to head off for ourselves, one lad didn't want food so couldn't get beer, at least that's over and done with

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Tony thought the Irish people were too thick to wear masks properly this time last year.

Level 5 requirements were needed after that brief period of opening. The goal is never again with full lockdown.

Also variants.

Ah! The lockdown to avoid lockdown method! I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

So think it through... Why do the hospitality sector want NPHET at the negotiations - because they (NPHET) are in effect making the decisions and these talks are just theatre as far as they are concerned if you don't have the powerbrokers at the table.

I don't blame them for thinking that, unless Micheal Martin grows a spine between now and the 19th NPHET are just going to say no to whatever they don't like and that will be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Jizique wrote: »
    It really really gets on my wick - would love to know how much the govt has given to RTÉ and other stations to pump out this crap at regular intervals, it’s like North Korea

yeah it's literally a covid ad every 15 minutes or so.
    and those ads are so patronising - "there are better days ahead"
    Are they fortune tellers or something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

mikekerry wrote: »
    yeah it's literally a covid ad every 15 minutes or so.
    and those ads are so patronising - "there are better days ahead"
    Are they fortune tellers or something!

"There are better days ahead" is the same as the "just 2 or 3 more weeks" guff we've been hearing for over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Tony thought the Irish people were too thick to wear masks properly this time last year.

Go out and you'll see he hasn't been far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Lads, can we stop bickering and let the internet know that we're all having so much fun here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That was the goal least year with deferring the reopening of non-food pubs, I remember all the talk about not wanting to go back into restrictions

Fair enough we knew less about this virus at the time but it's safe to say it didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Exactly. I know the internet does anger and rage better than anywhere but the past few days has been ridiculous. Its been a completely ott reaction to what - the restriction on indoor hospitality.

Just get on with it.

I'm curious to know at what point you think things would be taken too far, given the current situation.

The word "authoritarian" is being thrown around a lot, and people like you, (maybe rightfully), push back on that as hyperbole. But at what point is it not hyperbole?

I get the sense that, even if we actually did creep up to extreme Pol Pot levels of authoritarianism, there would still be plenty of people along the way able to rationalize what was going on as necessary, and not having too much difficulty with it. That worries me. It's worth reflecting on whether or not you've allowed yourself to be lulled into a false sense of normalcy.

It may just be indoor hospitality to you, but to others, it's their livelihood, it's their social life, it's a core part of how they operate in the world. (And it's not just indoor hospitality)

Imagine something as important to you being taken away for the better part of 15 months, and ask yourself where you would draw the line on that.

Would you be angry? Would you be asking for justification and a clear, coherent explanation of why? Would you want to be absolutely sure that it's necessary before allowing it to be taken away? Would you want to ensure that it will actually be returned to you when the time is right?

Do you have a clearly defined point where you would start to stand up and say "no, this is not okay"? If not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The reopening of indoor dining last Summer, led directly to the surge in cases that required us to re-impose restrictions again in early October.

So, we would all agree that it would be foolish to just reopen indoor dining again in exactly the same way, because you'll just get the same results. And we're starting from a case load that's 10 times higher than it was last year.

In effect you're asking, "Why aren't we making the same mistakes we made last year?"

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

namloc1980 wrote: »
    "There are better days ahead" is the same as the "just 2 or 3 more weeks" guff we've been hearing for over a year now.

And no journalist will put in a freedom of information request in to see how much is being spent because their very organisation is getting a share of this money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

seamus wrote: »
    The reopening of indoor dining last Summer, led directly to the surge in cases that required us to re-impose restrictions again in early October.

Sure, it was the restaurants, definitely not the schools at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

I see you have "Kilkenny: 35 and counting" on your profile.

You should then be fairly familiar with the concept of an injured player not playing in order that they will be able to play in the future.

How did Henry Shefflin trying to play on a severed cruciate in 2010 work out? He hobbled off after a few minutes and Kilkenny were well beaten.

The exact same principle is at work during Covid. Ireland as a society cannot play when it is injured. Returning to play before you're ready will likely mean a further worse injury lay off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hurrache wrote: »
    Go out and you'll see he hasn't been far wrong.

Because a few clowns have them hanging out of rear view mirrors?

This was the same lad who stood over the cervical smear scandal, said there could be 700k cases by September without having all the data analysed and went on a rant over some people in Sth. William Street and a few weeks later we've still no major contagion figures from.

Forgive me if I don't share the same confidence in him as you do.

Advertisement