Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

seamus wrote: »
    It's somewhere around 55% fully vaccinated, based on what we've seen in Israel. There will be some regional variations due to the types of vaccines used, and cultural differences in how people intermix. Israel is as close as one can get to an "ideal conditions" all-population test.

So when we have about 2.7m people fully vaccinated we can seriously plan around lifting all restrictions. Until then the only option really is to limit higher-risk stuff to vaccinated/tested people, or keep them closed.

I might not agree with some\much of your opinions but it really appreciate when someone gives an answer that is measureable so fair play.. I just hope if\when we reach that level you'll advocating the withdrawal of all restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can ye stop with the obsessive use of the word cohorts.
    People see a word that says what they mean and they use it - that's language for you. You can always produce a list that is less offensive to your eyes and ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭batman_oh

jakiah wrote: »
    Norway pauses FULL REOPENING for a few weeks

Indoor dining is open, 3000 allowed at festivals. Only 37% vaccinated too.

It's been going on throughout - oh look some country that has far more stuff open for months now is pausing some things that we won't see until god knows when. Therefore we are right to keep things closed indefinitely that have been open everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You are not looking at this rationly. You have the first dose of a very good vaccine. maximum long term protection is achieved from a second dose received after 12 weeks, this is being brought forward as it appears that with delta a second dose is better than just one, even though ideally that second dose should be later to give the best overall protection.

Yes, it is frustrating the way that worked out. But that doesn't make the original plan wrong. It was the right plan, executed the right way and unfortunately as often happens the best laid plans came undone by circumstances outside of anyone's control or knowledge.

But that's why I am annoyed - I am looking at it very rationally. And rationale / logic is that this vaccination strategy of separating out those in the 60s for a different vaccine regime was a bad idea. Full stop.

There have been several reports in past week of people who've had one dose of AZ and who've been badly affected by Covid which they picked up whilst waiting for a second dose.

I've no major problem with taking a vaccine for public health reasons. But I assume that when same public health system says 'this is the best vaccine for you' - that this is factually true. When it's shown not to be case, this is what undermines public confidence in vaccines. If you don't understand that, not much I can do. But you read here the speel coming from those advocating what you say - when you ask the majority of them what vaccine they've taken or are prepared to take, it's apparent that not many will put their money where their mouth is.

The bottom line and end result is that restrictions can't be relaxed yet as there are still numbers of citizens in their 60s who are not properly vaccinated as a result of this strategy. A costly mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭prunudo

Whoever voted for that Donnelly chap should hang their heads in shame.

And the irony is he got in at the expense of Pat Casey who is a hotelier and would rely heavily on tourism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

batman_oh wrote: »
    It's been going on throughout - oh look some country that has far more stuff open for months now is pausing some things that we won't see until god knows when. Therefore we are right to keep things closed indefinitely that have been open everywhere.

Most of the time it is a defense of ireland rather than a defense of the response to COVID..

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Furze99 wrote: »
    But that's why I am annoyed - I am looking at it very rationally. And rationale / logic is that this vaccination strategy of separating out those in the 60s for a different vaccine regime was a bad idea. Full stop.

There have been several reports in past week of people who've had one dose of AZ and who've been badly affected by Covid which they picked up whilst waiting for a second dose.

I've no major problem with taking a vaccine for public health reasons. But I assume that when same public health system says 'this is the best vaccine for you' - that this is factually true. When it's shown not to be case, this is what undermines public confidence in vaccines. If you don't understand that, not much I can do. But you read here the speel coming from those advocating what you say - when you ask the majority of them what vaccine they've taken or are prepared to take, it's apparent that not many will put their money where their mouth is.

The bottom line and end result is that restrictions can't be relaxed yet as there are still numbers of citizens in their 60s who are not properly vaccinated as a result of this strategy. A costly mistake.

Well for what it's worth, I'll take whatever vaccine I'm offered when the time comes. So will everyone my age that I know. (been trying in vain to get into a pharmacy - looks like I have to wait)

I still think you are letting frustrations with what has happened with Delta cloud your judgement on what was the right decision at the time and your thinking is not rational. AZ was available to over 60s - with one dose it prevented severe illness against all known strains of Covid. AZ could not be used on lower age groups due to emerging evidence of harm to them being possible. Therefore the entirely right decision to use AZ on those it was safe to use it on was made and reserve other vaccines for those whom it may not have been safe to use AZ on (again further evidence on the saftey has emerged in the meantime - but you can only act on what you know at the time).

As it turned out, the arithmetic behind that decision was completely sound. I was sceptical myself at the time, but it made best use of scarce vaccine resources. If Pfizer/Modera was used for over 60s, AZ does would have gone to waste and the whole program would be further delayed, which would not leave us in a better position today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Guarantee you it'll be September before they're open

• Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

"We will announce the roadmap to the plan on July 19th, then we hope to follow the roadmap of the plan to open at a later date once data allows it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

namloc1980 wrote: »
    130,000 people at the Austrian Grand Prix today. Obviously they haven't a clue what they are doing either and need to get onto NPHET quickly to learn the error of their ways.

Very similar Covid stats to Ireland except in testing. They do a lot more testing than here because they have embraced antigen tests.

I might be missing it but surely at Tony's next little speech he should be asked in plain english wtf is going on with likes of "Pilot event" where you've every single person testing negative walking around in masks and standing in cages? for what reason can negative people not mix at such an event? "antigen testing we can't be too sure of" So what is your plan for life for rest of time in Ireland with this virus?

and can he please provide immediate update on his forecast models how they are going towards reaching his huge number of deaths totals in august given it seems to be a non issue everywhere else in Europe and if not can we look at reopening pubs as agreed without every non-vulnerable person in the country being vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

rob316 wrote: »
    The headline should be "Dutch nightclub ****s up test event"

They will still have learnt more from their failure there than we will from any of our so called "pilot" events.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

showpony1 wrote: »
    I might be missing it but surely at Tony's next little speech he should be asked in plain english wtf is going on with likes of "Pilot event" where you've every single person testing negative walking around in masks and standing in cages? for what reason can negative people not mix at such an event? "antigen testing we can't be too sure of" So what is your plan for life for rest of time in Ireland with this virus?

and can he please provide immediate update on his forecast models how they are going towards reaching his huge number of deaths totals in august given it seems to be a non issue everywhere else in Europe and if not can we look at reopening pubs as agreed without every non-vulnerable person in the country being vaccinated.

That would require someone with a backbone being present at his press conference, and it's very clear that nobody in the media or government has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Vicxas wrote: »

They won’t be opening this year is my bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hello Moto GP

There hinting you have to be vaccinated to be able to dine indoors and think thats what is going to happen.

There not going to open schools and restraunts at the same time so looks the most likely case.

Contrary to what some people believe here that Covid doesn't spread in schools, it does. All you have to do is walk past any school yard and you'll see 600 pupils scrammed into a tight space.

I would say next November when they will properly open.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

If we cant open in summer no chance we are opening in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Nearly 1000 less cases in Scotland today compared to last Monday. 2,372 today, 3,285 7 days ago.

Dont suppose MM wants to ring Nicola Sturgeon again seeing as he claimed he had spoken to her before deciding to delay opening a week ago citing Scotland numbers etc?

A week ago it was look at Scotland, look at Scotland, im sure that will probably have to be changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

showpony1 wrote: »
    I might be missing it but surely at Tony's next little speech he should be asked in plain english wtf is going on with likes of "Pilot event" where you've every single person testing negative walking around in masks and standing in cages? for what reason can negative people not mix at such an event?
    NPHET didn't organise those events.

You'd want to be directing your questions at the minister for arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

sounds like an artshole

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

The pilot events are simply a way of being seen to do something with out actually doing anything useful 'abundance of caution', 'safety first', 'need to gather data'

A minister with any ambition or effectiveness would have pushed hard for antigen tests to allow capacity or near crowds to make them financially viable. I read a tweet over the weekend about a venue selling tickets for a gig in September in pods of 4 or 6 and it rally makes me despair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Another sports event lost as Ireland can't guarantee a crowd for the PDC darts in LATE OCTOBER

Ah FFS. Have gone to that the last few times with a mate and it's a great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

the kelt wrote: »
    Nearly 1000 less cases in Scotland today compared to last Monday. 2,372 today, 3,285 7 days ago.

Dont suppose MM wants to ring Nicola Sturgeon again seeing as he claimed he had spoken to her before deciding to delay opening a week ago citing Scotland numbers etc?

A week ago it was look at Scotland, look at Scotland, im sure that will probably have to be changed now.

Didn't Scotland have issues reporting cases over that weekend, resulting in a larger than normal case count the following Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Gearoid88

Has the number of anti maskers increased or is it just selfish cnuts that have been vaccined think they dont have to play by the rules now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Didn't Scotland have issues reporting cases over that weekend, resulting in a larger than normal case count the following Monday?

Ive no idea to be honest, but i remember at the time there being a lot of play being made about looking at Scotlands numbers etc etc and a week later theyre down nearly 1,000!

Maybe ye know have another look there.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Gearoid88 wrote: »
    Has the number of anti maskers increased or is it just selfish cnuts that have been vaccined think they dont have to play by the rules now?
    Anecdotally, I am seeing people in my own peer-group (early 40s) being much more relaxed about various restrictions. In the absence of any real exit plan and seeing restrictions being much less onerous in other countries, people are just making up their own 'rules'.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

[NPHET rubs hands together while smirking]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Can direct them but, never going to get an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

“”Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said that NPHET is not going to change its advice on indoor hospitality and the challenge is for the Government and the sector to operationalise the advice.””

Regarding the digital cert :

“Asked if the Government was committed to implementing the Covid-19 Digital Certificate by 19 July, Micheál Martin said: "We're on track".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

So are they on track to open by July 19th or to have a plan by July 19th? There's a huge difference between the two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Gearoid88 wrote: »

I was in Galway city last week for the first time in over a month, and from what I saw there appeared to be many more younger people wearing face masks in the streets than previously.
    Not exactly an in depth study, but from what I saw there certainly appeared to be more of the unvaccinated cohort now wearing them.

Advertisement