Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

s-l1600.jpg

A slightly younger Tony Holohan front and centre.
    At least this slightly explains his obsessive crusade against indoor hospitality a century later

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

The Tonight Show is grim to watch, they seem to roll out Paul Murphy with his doomsday nonsense on a weekly basis.

We're not getting out of this until next summer at the earliest. If they won't remove 99% of restrictions during the summer period, then we have no hope when Autumn/Winter comes. Cases are going to rise again, more restrictions will return, rinse repeat, summer 2022 we will still be having the same conversations.

People have lost their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

MOH wrote: »
    s-l1600.jpg

A slightly younger Tony Holohan front and centre.
    At least this slightly explains his obsessive crusade against indoor hospitality a century later
    🀣 brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

corkonion wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Romanian vaccine deal has been completed and if they are on route? Our national broadcaster don't like to give positives, so there's no info there, yesterday, when cases climbed a little, it was headline news, today, when they dropped way back down, they decided not to report on numbers.

Why are Romania doing a deal to give their vaccines to Ireland again?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sobit1964 wrote: »

Vaccine hesitancy locally I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Sobit1964 wrote: »

The government there are not bringing in mandatory vaccination by stealth. There are two choices there- take it or don’t. Rather than the take it or be excluded from the reintroduction of certain freedoms that is evolving here.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I have to say I find the personal obsession of some posters here for Holohan and the other prominent NPHET members quite disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

corkonion wrote: »
    I agree with Boris, it's now or never. Vaccinations and people recently recovered from a mild case gives a great deal of immunity, opening up in October or November is madness, when everyone shields together indoors from our amazing climate, of course he's taking a risk, for me,its the right risk

Deal done. I heard it on the radio either today or yesterday.

I have to say I find the personal obsession of some posters here for Holohan and the other prominent NPHET members quite disturbing.

May I ask how does this feeling of being disturbed manifest itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I have to say I find the personal obsession of some posters here for Holohan and the other prominent NPHET members quite disturbing.[/QUOTE

Nobody asked for this so I do have sympathy for NPHET on some scale, but you find “the personal obsession” ( actually it’s frustration ) quite disturbing? well that’s just ridiculous! we’ve almost turned into a dictatorship compared to the rest of Europe in our handling of Covid now. We’re the outliers here and if you can’t see why the Irish people may be a bit “obsessed” well, that’s on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'm more disturbed about how we've managed to hand over the reigns of public policy to a group of unelected career civil servants.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hello Moto GP

The government don't have the balls to go against NPHET so they are basically the decisions makers.

Should everyone just bend over for Nphet and be happy with everything they do?

They've made an absolute bollox of things so far along with the government.

I think people forget who is going to pay for all of this!!!!!!!!!!!

US THE PUBLIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm actually disturbed by the fact that you find it disturbing. You somehow imply that they are sacrosanct and that it is somehow sacrilegious to criticise them. Like cult leaders.

Several posters, myself included, despise Holohan and NPHET, because at best we are uncomfortable with the unfettered power bestowed on them and at worst distrust them over the many disastrous decisions and their rigidity. You clearly disagree but you shouldn't be disturbed that others have a totally different viewpoint. Divergence is healthy. This really isn't a cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

acequion wrote: »
    I'm actually disturbed by the fact that you find it disturbing. You somehow imply that they are sacrosanct and that it is somehow sacrilegious to criticise them. Like cult leaders.

Several posters, myself included, despise Holohan and NPHET, because at best we are uncomfortable with the unfettered power bestowed on them and at worst distrust them over the many disastrous decisions and their rigidity. You clearly disagree but you shouldn't be disturbed that others have a totally different viewpoint. Divergence is healthy. This really isn't a cult.

You can disagree with their decisions but to say you despise them is ridiculous. they are people doing their best under constant pressure. I don't know what you work at but how would you like everything you do exposed to public scrutiny and ridicule by some people who don't understand a complex picture. I have nothing but sympathy for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

The government don't have the balls to go against NPHET so they are basically the decisions makers.

Should everyone just bend over for Nphet and be happy with everything they do?

They've made an absolute bollox of things so far along with the government.

I think people forget who is going to pay for all of this!!!!!!!!!!!

US THE PUBLIC.

The US is paying our bill ?

acequion wrote: »

Having your own opinions on Holohan and NPHETs work professionally is fine in my book. I do draw a line at some of the personal attacks, name-calling and other deplorable behaviour that's been witnessed in this thread.

On thread I've seen Holohan called names, personally slandered, mocked among other things and quite frankly it's completely unacceptable. If that's all the arguments you and your fellow thankers have, then you have nothing.

If you wouldn't say these things and not hide behind a pseudonym, then you shouldn't say them.

crossman47 wrote: »
    You can disagree with their decisions but to say you despise them is ridiculous. they are people doing their best under constant pressure. I don't know what you work at but how would you like everything you do exposed to public scrutiny and ridicule by some people who don't understand a complex picture. I have nothing but sympathy for them.

Your livelihood has obviously not been affected to say you have sympathy for them. Neither has mine, thankfully. but the livehoods of several of those close to me has and I expect that we'll all be footing a huge bill for a long time to come so I wonder how much sympathy you might have then.

I think you're too kind, if I may be so bold. I don't think they're doing their best and I don't think the politicians are doing their best. I think they are all doing what suits them, what suits their egos and what suits their careers. I very much distrust them and resent the huge power they have over my life.

I smile at the point emboldened. I'm a teacher, like NPHET, I work for the public. I'm well used to public scrutiny and ridicule, it goes with the territory. And these guys, like all our top public servants, are paid very handsomely for the stress. They can always walk away and do an easier job if they're not up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hurrache wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, this thread has always been dipping its toes in farce but has really crapped itself with this. It's like people only discovered Johnson today during his press conference.

Watched that and from the statement today - looks like he's decided to turn the clock back to March 2020 and let things run their course. I don't know if he plans any bodies piled high this time.

Kinda reminds me of this a bit ...

tenor.gif

Having your own opinions on Holohan and NPHETs work professionally is fine in my book. I do draw a line at some of the personal attacks, name-calling and other deplorable behaviour that's been witnessed in this thread.

On thread I've seen Holohan called names, personally slandered, mocked among other things and quite frankly it's completely unacceptable. If that's all the arguments you and your fellow thankers have, then you have nothing.

If you wouldn't say these things and not hide behind a pseudonym, then you shouldn't say them.

Please arrange for an interview at your earliest. I wish to inform RTE and their audience of terrified 60YO+ pensioners that Tony is a bit of an eejit.

I shall remove my virtual balaclava and use 'slides' to highlight just how much of an odd ball he is within the EU.

When you can organise this - I might, but probably wont, take you seriously.

• Advertisement

When you set yourself up as a celebrity commentator, go onto the Late Late Show multiple times, choose to have a Twitter account denouncing fellow citizens, and so on, you are fair game for public criticism.

Dr. Holohan should offer his advice to the elected Government of this Republic in private.

The days of making decisions at secret NPHET meetings followed by on-demand time on the national broadcaster must end.

I haven't seen anybody go as far as you claim and those that have are quickly banned. If you can't handle him being called stuff like Saint Tony or other mild nicknames then maybe you shouldn't be on this thread. I've read brilliant arguments on this thread from both sides of the debate. Holohan is a very public figure so it's inevitable that he'll be much talked about here and inevitable that a lot of it will be very disparaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

I try to stay away from personal digs and slandering. And mocking, but I will admit to a slight bit of all f the above during periods of intense frustration. But I thoroughly dislike the man - and that stemmed from when he first came to my notice on account of the unmentionable.

And I would have no qualms saying it calmly to his face. His professional conduct is linked to his arrogant, domineering and patronising manner, so it’s quite difficult to extricate his work from the man.

I’m sure he’s not losing sleep over my opinion of him - but I’m quite open about the fact that my opinion of him couldn’t be much lower than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I am concerned you are disturbed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I am concerned you are disturbed

I'm concerned he's disturbed

In fact I'm very concerned

growleaves wrote: »
    Here published on 18th of June is NHS data on variants:

SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern and variants under investigation in England

Please skip to Page 8/71 which gives the respective CFRs for Alpha variant and Delta variant.

Alpha 1.9% (1.8 to 2.0%)

Delta 0.1% (0.1 to 0.2%)

Delta, according to this NHS data, is 1/10th to 1/20th as deadly as the original strain and the first mutations.

A more accurate statement is the average person who contracted the delta variant was 1/10th to 1/20th as likely to die than the average person who caught the alpha variant. This is down to the profile of those who caught the delta variant and not how deadly the disease is. i.e. they are younger and vaccinated as opposed to older and unvaccinated on average. In the 25th June version of report linked the death rate in under 50s was 0.1% with delta, compared with 0.1% with alpha. For over 50s it was 1.1% compared with 4.8%. Overall rate was 0.127% as the age of cases skewed young

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

The government there are not bringing in mandatory vaccination by stealth. There are two choices there- take it or don’t. Rather than the take it or be excluded from the reintroduction of certain freedoms that is evolving here.

"Vaccines set you Free"....

growleaves wrote: »
    Mass mask wearing on a timescale of years is itself an experiment.

Restricting oxygen flow on a daily basis for say three years does... what to your health? No one knows.

But hey 'I thrust the experts' right?

How was oxygen flow restricted?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As Boris Johnson said, if we don't open now when will we open up?

The NPHET Regime won't allow opening this month. They won't allow opening just before the schools go back. They won't allow opening coming into the winter months.

So when are we talking? March, April, May? What the actual f**k.

And anyone defending the NPHET Regime, I'll ask what we've been asking for a week now. Under what circumstances do you believe NPHET will allow the end of all restrictions?

The virus isn't going away. The vaccines don't make it disappear.

• Advertisement

As Boris Johnson said, if we don't open now when will we open up?

The NPHET Regime won't allow opening this month. They won't allow opening just before the schools go back. They won't allow opening coming into the winter months.

So when are we talking? March, April, May? What the actual f**k.

And anyone defending the NPHET Regime, I'll ask what we've been asking for a week now. Under what circumstances do you believe NPHET will allow the end of all restrictions?

The virus isn't going away. The vaccines don't make it disappear.

?? The country IS open.
    Shops✓
    Construction✓
    Pubs ✓
    Restaurants✓
    Cinema✓
    Sports✓
    Free internal movement✓
    Personal services✓

You'd hardly expect any of the above to be available if the country was closed. You need to return to reality tbh.

Advertisement