Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Floppybits wrote: »
    How long has the delta variant been in the country now? If it has been here for more that 3 weeks should we not be seeing a rise in hospitalisation cases? If the vaccines are working then yes we will see the number of cases of covid rise because don't stop people getting covid but we shouldn't see a huge rise is hospital cases and if this is the case then basically covid should now be treated and like the flu.

Depends how much of the delta is here as well. The Alpha (Kent) variant was here in small numbers in October/November but didn't make an impact on our ICU numbers until January when Christmas gave us an enormous spread

NPHET modelling recon we will see an average of 1,000 daily cases in 3 weeks time so in 6 weeks we will know more about how that has affected hospital numbers, again the modelling shows 250 deaths over the three months as a best case which over 42,000 cases would suggest a 0.595% fatality

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

gozunda wrote: »
    The "UK" aka Boris and his new Minister of Health have apparently decided to turn the clock back to March 2020 and let nature take its course and are back to the natural herd immunity theory.

I suspect Boris's usual populist leanings and Sajid Javid background as a mercant banker and a serious Margaret Thatcher acolyte has more got to so with the recent decision to dump all covid controls than any humanitarian leanings or concern about lives tbf.

Looks like the new minister or his ideas is not necessarily as popular as some would suggestv

https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1411588996979900416?s=20

But to your point on 'real costs' - I believe discussion on that is important and it will likley take years of analysis and real discussion as to balancing the human costs of the pandemic - but that's a thread yet to come.

Yes but we have moved on from March 2020 and now we have vaccines that lessen the impact of the virus so we should be moving on and learning to live with Covid like we have done with other illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

The "UK" aka Boris and his new Minister of Health have apparently decided to turn the clock back to March 2020 and let nature take its course and are back to the natural herd immunity theory.

I suspect Boris's usual populist leanings and Sajid Javid background as a mercant banker and a serious Margaret Thatcher acolyte has more got to so with the recent decision to dump all covid controls than any humanitarian leanings or concern about lives tbf.

Looks like the new minister or his ideas is not necessarily as popular as some would suggestv

https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1411588996979900416?s=20

But to your point on 'real costs' - I believe discussion on that is important and it will likley take years of analysis and real discussion as to balancing the human costs of the pandemic - but that's a thread yet to come.

Great to see some clarity on Ireland's route out of this.

Study what is happening in the UK and hope things do not get too bad

Keep an eye on other European countries who are just starting with Delta and hope things do not get too bad

While watching 1 & 2 hope that things do not get too bad with Delta at home.

If everything goes well make a plan on when to open everything up.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Your post is a remarkable example of what happens in this forum.

The article makes some interesting points but you don't actually want to hear them, just dismiss out of hand because they don't fit with the side you picked.

Why not read it and take the points on their own merit instead of just shooting the messenger?

Basically yep, dont like the message then just attack the messenger.

Kinda par for the course.

On the flip side if someone dares to attack the messenger ie: Tony or MM then thats just not on, funny that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yes but we have moved on from March 2020 and now we have vaccines that lessen the impact of the virus so we should be moving on and learning to live with Covid like we have done with other illnesses.

Indeed. I believe that is the plan. We're vaccinating to beat the band atm so we can move on and get to the point where we will be able to treat covid like other illnesses. As detailed we're not quite there yet and a bit to go with getting remaining at risk groups fully vaccinated. The UKs flip flop policies and horrendous record of managing the pandemic is not a model to follow imho.

• Advertisement

Isnt it funny how with over 4.4 million vaccines administered people just keep forgetting about them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

the kelt wrote: »
    Basically yep, dont like the message then just attack the messenger.

Kinda par for the course.
    The three comments quoted in the OP were all perfectly sensible and reasonable, they should generate debate among any honest group. To see them dismissed out of hand says a lot.
    That's a fascinating stance coming from someone who was sharing tweets from fearmonger extraordinaire Eric Feigl-Ding a few days ago.

Ha, I knew this great bit of hypocrisy would pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    A digital cert send by post... FFS! :rolleyes:

Now that is funny.

And I'm pretty sure I gave my e-mail address at the vaccination centre.

Indeed. I believe that is the plan. We're vaccinating to beat the band atm so we can move on and get to the point where we will be able to treat covid like other illnesses. As detailed we're not quite there yet and a bit to go with getting remaining at risk groups fully vaccinated. The UKs flip flop policies and horrendous record of managing the pandemic is not a model to follow imho.

We need to stop counting the number of people with Covid and start counting the number of hospitalisations of people with Covid. All that publishing the number of positive covid cases is doing is causing panic, probably less so now with the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ha, I knew this great bit of hypocrisy would pop up. It's fun to see that you still insist on ignoring the simple fact that none of the figures in that tweet was actual his data, it was all factual from other sources. You can't dispute that.

What hypocrisy, yours? You're criticising others for posting unreliable sources while doing the exact same yourself.

I'm not sure the fact I'm ignoring something I never claimed to begin with is quite the gotcha you think it is, but sure carry on. Even if the Telegraph was using data from another source, you'd still assume they were putting a biased slant on it, right? Same applies here.

FWIW I completely agree with you on Javid and the Telegraph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The "UK" aka Boris and his new Minister of Health have apparently decided to turn the clock back to March 2020

With two surges having hit the population already, two-thirds of the population vaccinated and covid mutated into a much less lethal form they really aren't turning the clock back to March 2020.

growleaves wrote: »
    With two surges having hit the population already, two-thirds of the population vaccinated and covid mutated into a much less lethal form they really aren't turning the clock back to March 2020.

Looking at it seems to me that they are moving forward and getting on with living with covid. Turning back the clock to March 2020 for me would be opening up and there being no vaccine. Time to move on now, the vaccines are there, lets just get on with living now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

paw patrol wrote: »
    yes , yes it is.

I care cos I was pilloried here and in my PM. and guess what i was right!

What sort of absolute gowl would abuse you over PM?

is_that_so wrote: »
    The gym is fine and the other restrictions will disappear over time. The test/cert idea is still under discussion but the hospitality sector really don't want to implement it at all. The expectations there is that it could take quite a while until they do open.

Any chance of a look into that crystal ball.How can anyone be so certain that all these restrictions will disappear. Two weeks to flatten the curve remember and yet here we still are.Meanwhile the rest of Europe has moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

storker wrote: »
    Now that is funny.

Sure you didn't provide your fax number?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

the kelt wrote: »
    Isnt it funny how with over 4.4 million vaccines administered people just keep forgetting about them!!!

It`s an impressive number, but it`s not just a matter of how many vaccine shots that have been administered. What really matters is the percentages and who has received them.
    As of the 4th July 53.06% of the population have received their first dose and 37.21% are fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

storker wrote: »
    Now that is funny.

They did say 'Irish people can expect to be issued with the certs by email and by post shortly - with the initial roll-out possibly starting by the end of this week.'

To get a digital cert on your phone you will need to scan a QR code and that will be sent electronically or on paper (in the post).

Nothing wrong with this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

anyone else sell off all their home gym gear? i was about sell my spin bike but now having second thoughts about Tony deciding their is too much risk in winter and closing everything down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

MOH wrote: »

A slightly younger Tony Holohan front and centre.
    At least this slightly explains his obsessive crusade against indoor hospitality a century later
    MOH wrote: »
    You know there's a "report post" button?
    There also wasn't a single such post I could see in the 4 pages preceding your one

It's your own posts that are playing the man not the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Sure you didn't provide your fax number?

No I'm all about using the modern technology. When they notify me by e-mail that the digital certificate is ready I'll send a motorcycle courier to collect it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Depends how much of the delta is here as well. The Alpha (Kent) variant was here in small numbers in October/November but didn't make an impact on our ICU numbers until January when Christmas gave us an enormous spread

NPHET modelling recon we will see an average of 1,000 daily cases in 3 weeks time so in 6 weeks we will know more about how that has affected hospital numbers, again the modelling shows 250 deaths over the three months as a best case which over 42,000 cases would suggest a 0.595% fatality

Let's not forget that at the end of March Ronan Glyyn told us it would be "a very significant challenge" to keep cases as low as 500-600 per day.

It was just over a week later that the 7-day average dropped below 500, where it's been ever since, mostly in the low 400s, briefly dipping below 300.

And that was based on Alpha, before we'd identified the first Delta case here.
    Tells you all you need to know about the accuracy of their modelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gansi wrote: »
    Any chance of a look into that crystal ball.How can anyone be so certain that all these restrictions will disappear. Two weeks to flatten the curve remember and yet here we still are.Meanwhile the rest of Europe has moved on.

Well, the government want it to happen but will not currently push back against NPHET with their big numbers. We're all watching the UK but it remains to be seen whether data in two weeks will make any difference to that stance, even though what NHPET claimed would cause that surge is now not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,305 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Swear some people are hoping England **** up so they can say 'told ye so and NPHET are right all along' etc

It's your own posts that are playing the man not the ball.

You do know thats really not Tony Holohan in that picture!

Hes joking like, Tony Holohan wasnt in "the Shining" but sure if that offends you ye should report it, i mean its really serious!

I suspect Boris's usual populist leanings and Sajid Javid background as a merchant banker and a serious Margaret Thatcher acolyte has more got to so with the recent decision to dump all covid controls than any humanitarian leanings or concern about lives tbf.

Looking at social media- it would appear the new minister or his ideas are not necessarily as popular as some would suggest

Britain have had one of the biggest vaccine roll out in the world, they have had restrictions for 16 months. What else can they do except get on with life?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Swear some people are hoping England **** up so they can say 'told ye so and NPHET are right all along' etc

Yep there is a cohort of people that have loved the lockdowns and prefer living as we have been and will try anything to keep things as they are. Time now to start living with Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, the government want it to happen but will not currently push back against NPHET with their big numbers. We're all watching the UK but it remains to be seen whether data in two weeks will make any difference to that stance, even though what NHPET claimed would cause that surge is now not happening.

Maybe the members of NPHET will each have a prophetic dream, and the gods of the skies will beckon them to open up.

"It is prophesised," Dr. Holohan will say, "nevermore shall we entomb this land. The gods have spoken."

growleaves wrote: »
    Maybe the members of NPHET will each have a prophetic dream, and the gods of the skies will beckon them to open up.

"It is prophesised," Dr. Holohan will say, "nevermore shall we entomb this land. The gods have spoken."

He would probably tell those gods that he knows best and he won't be reopening.

Yep there is a cohort of people that have loved the lockdowns and prefer living as we have been and will try anything to keep things as they are. Time now to start living with Covid.

Are most Lockdown lovers long-term unemployed losers who vote for solidarity-pbp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

PTH2009 wrote: »

Where are you getting that from?

We need the UK to succeed. That is blatantly obvious.

That doesn’t mean that one can’t be critical of the choices they’ve made regarding the easing of restrictions.

Advertisement