Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

But the hospitals have been a full capacity for years, as evidenced by long waiting times even before Covid. Do we want to use a chronically underperforming (thought not underfunded) HSE as an excuse for more continuing disruptions to everyday life?

Of course we don't want to but util something drastic changes in the HSE we have to

gozunda wrote: »
    I never said they were. The previous implications was that the move was garnering popular support. And that was posted to show that was not necessarily the case. But no I wasn't talking about Bots. I'm aware they exist.

But weren't you basing that lack of support on tweets on Twitter? And those bot accounts show that Twitter shouldn't be taken seriously and that those YouGov polls should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

But the hospitals have been a full capacity for years, as evidenced by long waiting times even before Covid. Do we want to use a chronically underperforming (thought not underfunded) HSE as an excuse for more continuing disruptions to everyday life?

Paul Reid has trousered more than a half-million euro of taxpayers' money since the pandemic began in Spring last year, and the HSE is overwhelmed with fifty Covid patients.

It's quite astonishing the Government seem content to leave him in charge of the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Knex* wrote: »
    HSE is proportionally one of the best funded healthcare programmes in the world. The budget for 2021 is over 20 billion.

Funding isn't our issue. Complete mismanagement of funding is, and that is a problem that is absolutely endemic in Irish Public Services.

Article in today's Irish Times said one public service employee was paid €640,000 in a year.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

But weren't you basing that lack of support on tweets on Twitter? And those bot accounts show that Twitter shouldn't be taken seriously and that those YouGov polls should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

No. Simply an example. And yes we know bot accounts exist on all social media or do you believe its only anti Boris et al stuff is being posted by bots?

OK we better have a moratorium on twitter then.

Hang on what if there is bots on boards :eek:

• Advertisement

growleaves wrote: »
    Article in today's Irish Times said one HSE consultant was paid €640,000 in a year.

Tony Holohan has been paid - I almost said earned - a quarter million euro since the pandemic began for "projections and advice" which seem to consist solely of repeating "ALL WILL PERISH!!!!" and "close everything down!!!" with increasing volume, frequency, and hysteria.

He took over a million and a half in salary during the duration of The Unmentionable.

That's not including pension contributions.

It's likely that Tony Holohan has cost the State about five million euro in salary and pension contributions over the years to deliver The Unmentionable, and the world's longest, harshest lockdown.

I didn't know you could become a multi-millionaire by working as a consultant for the HSE. Make me regret doing that Women's Studies PhD I put so much sweat into.

Oh well downwards and onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

beaz2018 wrote: »
    'Tonys job is to give advice...its the govs fault....' christ almighty if i hear that again. Yes in a normal country where they dont have murals, freedoms of the city, late late show appearances, yes the cmo gives advice and the gov act. In this backwater, we have given such an enormous pedestal to a GP with a dodgy past that it is political suicide to go against him. Therefore he doesnt just advise, he dictates.

...and that is the government's fault.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

We did have an opportunity to do it right when the HSE was set up which was a good idea at the start but then as always the government caved into Unions and vested interests and the mess we now have was created.

The problem we have is that we don't have the people with the backbone in the positions to take on the vested interests and change the service. For a more recent example look at the children's hospital, everyone in their right mind knows that it should never have been built where it is being built but again the vested interests won and look at the mess that has turned out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I didn't know you could become a multi-millionaire by working as a consultant for the HSE. Make me regret doing that Women's Studies PhD I put so much sweat into.

Oh well downwards and onwards.

Should have went into cable laying like Paul Reid did.

• Advertisement

Penfailed wrote: »
    ...and that is the government's fault.

Yes and they don't have the authority to give away their authority to a Chief Medical Officer.

There is too much focus on personalities, and not enough holding the Government to account.

Floppybits wrote: »
    I never said suppress the numbers that is what you said, I was saying that the focus should be on the hospitalisation numbers from Covid. We can have a 1million cases of people infected with Covid but if only 10 people are hospitalised it would indicate that the vaccines are working and people are developing immunity are therefore no need for restrictions but if as we do at the moment put all the focus on the number of cases then that is just driving fear in the community.

No what you said was "We need to stop counting the number of people with Covid"

And yes all metrics are measured atm. We know vaccines are working unfortunately the virus has just slipped us another ace and we're seeing risng case numbers and rising hospitalisations in the UK. So no I dont believe we can ditch the information just yet. I really don't accept this 'fear in the community' stuff. People aren't stupid. Most can work things out for themselves without hiding stuff.

gozunda wrote: »
    No. Simply an example. And yes we know bot accounts exist on all social media or do you believe its only anti Boris et al stuff is being posted by bots?

OK we better have a moratorium on twitter then.

Hang on what if there is bots on boards :eek:

Mostly anti-lifting of restrictions, I would say.

In many ways I think the world would be so much better without Twitter and social media. I can't think of a single good thing about Twitter.

But anyway, won't labour the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yes and they don't have the authority to give away their authority to a Chief Medical Officer.

They don't have the authority and yet they have done it anyway. The people in Ireland have been utterly betrayed by this government.

Genuine question because I dont the answer, how do we call for the collapse of this government? How do we get these w*nkers out of Leinster House? Is it a case that we all need to take to the streets? Because I am ready to do that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Archeron wrote: »
    They don't have the authority and yet they have done it anyway. The people in Ireland have been utterly betrayed by this government.

Genuine question because I dont the answer, how do we call for the collapse of this government? How do we get these w*nkers out of Leinster House? Is it a case that we all need to take to the streets? Because I am ready to do that now.
    Because you can't eat inside in a pub or restaurant??
    I don't know about you but I'd consider that a strange hill to die on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

regarding this digital covid passport thing.

I was just reading on RTE this

People who have recovered from Covid will need a laboratory confirmation of this, alongside a negative PCR test.

What exactly does that mean?

I had covid 7 weeks ago and also got my first pfizer vaccine yesterday,

Technically, im more immune form covid because i had it than taking any vaccine, so what does a "laboratory confirmation" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

He did.

He began by saying alcohol had no part to play in the decision making process, then spent 4 additional minutes explaining the reasons why alcohol was damaging to the process of containing the virus. :rolleyes:

Of course alcohol access plays a role. Pubs are nuclei of ethanol consumption -- and they've been closed for the best part of 15 months. Other indoor zones remain accessible, but pubs do not.

The idea that it's got nothing to do with alcohol is absurd.

Off licences are open. Pubs are open outdoors. Takeaway pints haven't stopped. Hotels are open and serving drink. It's got nothing to do with alcohol.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Because you can't eat inside in a pub or restaurant??
    I don't know about you but I'd consider that a strange hill to die on tbh.

How many more times are ye going to keep repeating the “it’s all about indoor pints and eating inside” mantra despite being replied to numerous times by people with incidences of how it’s not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

the kelt wrote: »
    How many more times are ye going to keep repeating the “it’s all about indoor pints and eating inside” mantra despite being replied to numerous times by people with incidences of how it’s not?

Because their arguments don't stack up. It's just blind anger and rage at the inability to eat or drink inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Because their arguments don't stack up. It's just blind anger and rage at the inability to eat or drink inside.

Yep that’s it alright

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117591814&postcount=3521

There’s a few more posts there in the thread about the actual issues with restrictions etc but sure, All about eating and drinking inside.

• Advertisement

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Imagine that, hospitals at full capacity in the middle of the summer with no flu season, tiny covid numbers on wards and per capita one of the best funded health services in the world. God help us if we ever had a natural disaster or massive terrorist attack etc..And some see Holohan as a saint of some sort. :pac: This nation is world class at patting itself on the back and not much good at anything else.

Not sure where you're getting the "Saint" bit. The main ones who seem to be using that moniker are those who are holding him personally responsible for the end of the universe or similar. As for back patting -

The thing is we know the HSE was in deep doodoo long before covid. And that was never going to be fixed in the midst of a pandemic when resources were been thrown at coping with treating covid patients.

Re. Tiny covid numbers in wards - vaccines are working and that's good news

Having recently talked to a number of people working there - the current high numbers in hospital are largely due the backlog from when services were suspended last year and partially from the cyber attack.

At present the best thing we can hope for is that we won't need more beds for any increase in Covid patients....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Archeron wrote: »

Oh for crying out loud :pac: The sheer ignorance of how democracy and government in this country works is quite scary. Thing is, if vast numbers of people felt like you then maybe an anti govt movement might develop, but they dont and it won't. Suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You need a new line. You've said this about ten times already. There's nothing blind about anger towards a state who are unjustly suppressing peoples rights. I honestly find it disgusting how certain posters are willing to frame our rights as some sort of trivial thing, when they anything but trivial.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Public transport increasing to 75% capacity from the 19th. Due to go to full capacity in August

https://twitter.com/RTENewsPaulC/status/1412449487059046400?s=19

It's illegal to use the "green cert" for stuff like pubs and restaurants, the government found this out before when they tried to use the photo Dole card for passports and driving tests

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Public transport increasing to 75% capacity from the 19th. Due to go to full capacity in August

Madness, what about the delta variant??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Madness, what about the delta variant??

It needs a vaccine pass to use public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Paul Reid has trousered more than a half-million euro of taxpayers' money since the pandemic began in Spring last year, and the HSE is overwhelmed with fifty Covid patients.

It's quite astonishing the Government seem content to leave him in charge of the HSE.
    He wanted the job and him saying hospitals are full is really not new for him. He's more than once angled for more cash for the HSE since he got in. He's only been there since April 2019 BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Good, suggests that they are still looking at September for office returns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Interesting to see the courts in Portugal have decreased the "official" COVID death figures from 17,000 to 152.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement