Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It should be worrying to everyone but as you can see on here some people are happy to throw away their freedoms and have society divided just so that they can have a pint indoors and then they turn around and call anyone who is against what they government have done selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

According to our DPC, it's not even legal for them to ask atm, so unless laws change, that policy will be just for the US or anywhere else with feck all worker or data privacy protections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes unfortunately many people who whatever reason don't wish to take a vaccine starve to death because they don't know how to use a tin opener.

The typical vaccinated person is too busy translating ancient Greek classics into Manadarin to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Given that Irelands super duper predictions of a hurricane of infection and hospitalisations were completely wrong (again), and that there is a much larger case study in the UK indicating the same, why are the restrictions and silly lockstep vax freedom passes not being completely reversed?

Its having a devastating effect on the mental health of a certain cohort of big government / nanny state type people, they are quite literally losing their minds suggesting that people be denied hospital access and the rights to employment. The costs of getting these people back to a normal level of human decency will be extensive.

It is sad to see some people carry on like this and not only carry on like this but then claiming that anyone who speaks out against this is an anti-vaxer or just plain stupid while they are at home there under the bed reading Ulysses. The 2 extremes are trying to out shout and out insult each other where as for the majority we just want to get on with our lives and get back to normal, not a new normal or anything like but back to what it was prior to March 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Did anyone think that Tony’s body language when announcing that in the coming week(s) they’d be looking at lessening social & economic restrictions, to me he seemed a bit disappointed & miserable about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Penfailed

"Vaccine rollout is going great, a lot better than I expected." That's an understatement! You predicted that it would be a disaster. In fact, you repeated it numerous times. We have overtaken the north with first doses now.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Good old GDPR is the first line of defence against this along with anti-discrimination laws but employers will be expected to address health & safety issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Before the cert was even announced you were complaining about how long you'd have to wait for a vaccine.

At least keep a consistent story.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

That's interesting re employment. So as it stands, Facebook and other companies can't demand employees here to the take a covid 19 vaccine

Back to consent/ coersion, at the moment non covid 19 vaccinated people can't find indoors. If (which I guessing will happen) further restrictions are imposed on non vaccinated eg essential services like public transport or children attending school, when does the government cross the line regarding consent/ coersion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Of course, make no mistake he wants this to go on and on and on ... and sadly a lot of the public do too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The first paragraph being true wouldn't surprise me in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think they'd need to create a law that would require too as we have the right to bodily integrity in our constitution. I think there's a justifiable enough argument on certain professions (medical, eldercare etc) but not really for people sitting in an office. Our DPC has already of course said it's not allowed so unless anything changes, it's not going to happen here.

TBH with our rates of vaccinations we shouldn't need to coerce people. The current cert regime is aimed at keeping Delta under control, unlike the more restrictive French approach.

The HSE have been looking at that area with a combination of engagement with the vaccine hesitant and a potential redeployment strategy for some workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,284 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In terms of those who ‘just don’t want to take it’, they’re less than 5% of the population. You can find less than 5% of the population who think crazy things on all manner of topics. They don’t matter, so we generally ignore them and move on as a society.

As for the second point, sure - not everyone taking a vaccine supports restrictions. But it is abundantly clear that the vast majority of people have supported restrictions throughout the pandemic. Opposition to restrictions has consistently been a minority position, with only a handful of political supporters and poorly attended civic protest.

Most people have complied with most restrictions most of the time. The revolution did not occur. And then 90%+ of the adult population volunteered for the vaccine. That is the outcome as far as this thread is concerned. ‘A tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.’

I really hope you are right. But happens when the next variant comes along? The gov could employ the same tactic and further the use of a covid cert?

Why did you have to throw in the insult at the end of your post? Why they need?

As for most people complying with the restrictions, there was no choice in the matter with Garda checkpoints and €500 euro fines on anyone found not complying with the restrictions. So I wouldn't be getting up on my high horse to crow about that also most people found ways around the restrictions and just carried on doing what they were doing. As for the vaccine I would say most people are getting just so that we can get back to a normal life. Do you think if there were no restrictions and no threats of excluding anyone not vaccinated that vaccine take up would be so high?

In fairness to them it was not their choice to use it but they wanted to get hospitality sort of open and this was the only advised route.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Agreed. I have been anti the restrictions for some time and I believe within the next month we go down the UK route and without vaccine passports. People should have the choice re the vaccine. I was never worried about getting covid, just aware of the importance in wider society of as many people as possible taking it.

• Advertisement

I don't normally call people who disagree with me crazy. I try understand people's concerns.

On the other thread, would you vaccinate your child, those in agreement with vaccinating their children seem more worrisome (to me), blindingly in some cases vaccinating their child, cause the man/ woman on the TV/ radio told them to.

Extremes of both views can be over zealous. Most people I know took a vaccine to return to (pre covid) normal.

Post edited by Ashdublinc13 on

We should be opening up and this vaccine passport for dining indoors should be done away with right away, let people make their own choices on whether to eat indoors or not. Also if you are vaccinated what do you have to worry about it is the unvaccinated person that is carrying more of the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

This talk of companies wanting staff to be vaccinated can be added to the list of topics that were once sent to the ct forum.

It also raises the question, what is the purpose of getting vaccinted. Given that vaccines don't stop you getting the virus it comes back to personal responsibility again. If I'm in work what do I care whether ther person beside is vaccinated or not. I'm protected so let them on, and frankly its none of my buisness (same goes for indoor dining).

I understand the government wanting high uptake as they don't want the health service to be overwhelmed by serious cases. But private companies, sorry, its not their concern.

Equally if I'm driving a car, I'll wear a seat belt, if another driver chooses not to thats their choice, not my buisness. It often feels like that are a large percentage of the public who like being told what to do and embrace new rules, the more the better it seems.

Post edited by prunudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

I have a suspicion that when it comes to further easings a la Tony Holohan, there will be concessions alright, but with increased pass-showing caveats, that will defeat the idea of moving forward and living with this virus.

And I wouldn’t be so sure that legislation couldn’t be speedily passed in Ireland to allow for mandated vaccination if it looks like we will fall short of 90% after it being offered to every adult and child (mandated in some areas to begin with, followed by a creep to others - and of course it wouldn’t be government mandating it, just providing a legal framework for companies to enforce it, nice and hands-off).

Fully understand the idea of herd immunity but can’t understand the pressure and rush, unless there are serious concerns about immunity post-vaccination plummeting, putting elderly and vulnerable in danger once more in the coming months. At least that would be a logical reason for some to be losing the plot over a small number of people who choose to not get vaccinated, and a rational reason for nonsense restrictions at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The 80% - 85% figure for herd immunity is for the total population. That figure of 79% represents the adult population fully vaccinated, not the total population.

With around 1 million aged under 16 the figure for the total population is around 65%. 15% -20% short of herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Again I don’t know how you can assume that the vast majority supported and obeyed restrictions. That’s not my experience, and its not what I witnessed around me. And as far as the protests go many people (myself included) didn’t want to be associated with the extreme voices. That doesn’t mean support for the ‘other’ side.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Most people I know got a vaccine because it greatly reduced their chances of death or serious illness from Covid.

Most people I know got it so that we can get on with their lives, the one who were the happiest were the ones that don't have to get it because they already had covid. Maybe it depends on your age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭User1998

Honestly you should just stop wearing one. I never wear one paying for petrol anymore. I’d probably wear one in shopping centres because of the amount of workers you come in contact with, but I’ve been told that most places are telling workers not to enforce the masks. You’ll feel much better without one. If a worker requests I wear one then I will put it on no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Not, I only read the first few pages as I thought it would be interesting to see what people said then compared to the situation now. I find it interesting how people's minds work, how we can change our views over time and disassociate ourselves from statements we said in the past if it doesn't fit the thinking we have in the present. Also how in the thread people were making statements that didn't come to pass now in Ireland, but people some anyway seem to want to complain so forget the old statement and move onto some other complaint or prediction, fascinating?

Also, there doesn't seem to a realization that it would be impossible to please everyone in Ireland, we've all different agendas, for example, if you've kids you care about schools opening, if you've no kids it's not your priority if you're the 20s and single you might miss travel and pubs more than someone in 70s or a parent, if you work in a hotel you might want that as the priority, or if you want to get married that's your priority.

People don't seem to think of the global issue in Ireland and tend to focus on the aspect that affects them most, only natural.

Advertisement