Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Donnelly on RTE Radio 1 earlier confirmed NPHET are in charge of national policy. He said cabinet will go with NPHET recommendations because they are the experts. Dobbo did challenge him on the projections and Donnelly just repeated the line that NPHET are the experts and that's that. Tony and NPHET are firmly in control of the country at this point and it's pretty much undeniable.

That's quite a Statement coming from an Elected TD and Cabinet Minister.

I'm not an expert in Constitutional Law,but to suggest a 30+ Member Public Health Emergency Team is "In Charge" of National Policy would appear to be very much open to Legal Challenge.

One might wonder if the members of NPHET have investigated the documentation outlining their remit & responsibilities,and more specifically whatever indemnifications (if any) they may have been provided with.

One might speculate that if a member of the Public were to be able to prove (in civil court ?) that they had personally suffered loss and/or damage and also to their business or proffessional standing due to NPHET,s flawed and unreviewed "recommendations" then it could make for interesting days in the Public Gallery.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

2,200 by the end of September. Madness.

How can they model data when they can't access the data for the last couple of months due to archaic IT Systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I'm the same constituency as you and I was opening up my email to send a message to them but once i looked at the names i just thought "f*ck it, there's absolutely no point".

I’ve emailed Coveney, McGrath, Martin and O’Laoghaire. I made it clear how disgusted I am at it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Why are they so concerned about Covid? What about cancer, heart and all the other patients who are being neglected while these clowns bang on about Covid?
    Something needs to be done, we need to take a stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Vicxas wrote: »
    We now go live to NPHETS spokesman on the state of the country:

11714263-head-of-a-thoroughbred-shire-horse-wearing-tackle-and-blinkers.jpg

Wrong end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yeah, ask Tony how his cervical check expertise is....

Irrelevant to this sorry now

Not irrelevant, if this is the level of ‘expertise’ that the clowns are following.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

why have Nphet been so quiet today, they often out

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Ok is this relevant to you?

Northern Ireland pubs and restaurants have been open since late May? Has there been an increase in deaths and serious illness in the last month there? Let’s just keep this simple now.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Well isn’t that preferable to politicians “winging it” and just guessing what needs to be done?

NPHET are public health experts

The politicians are not.

How many public health experts did get things spectacularly wrong during the pandemic? A model is based on an assumption of direction the data seems to point to. Although it is a useful tool to have as a way to simplify a system into an X and Y line, and makes a watcheable power point presentation, given the interaction of the many variables and the continueing changing circumstances this system is highly speculative and cannot give an accurate description of future prospects.
    It is a bit like predicting the weather. High probability for 3 days, after that an extending error margin. 5-7 days an educated guess. Longer and you are in the tall grass. I would take any good weather expert over a health expert in terms of the certainty of predictions in which the former will have a lot of 'it depends'.
    Weather people have very sofisticated computer models.
    The latter are more like economists with their inventive models, claiming knowledge where there isnt enough data, assuming A leads to B. Guesswork is a better description.
    The best model is the one in hindsight.
    Put 10 models in a bucket. Take one out and that's the winner.
    The higher a person is up in the pecking order, the more he is a manager/policitian and likely to carry the least insight into statistics.
    So, whenever you hear a health expert say:" if nothing changes, it looks like we are going to have X amount of.." you can stop listening.
    He is playing a game to push a simplistic model down your throat or ignorant of other factors. It is a bit like the Groucho Marx joke: '..i have Principles, you know and if you dont like them...i have others!

• Advertisement

Ok is this relevant to you?

Northern Ireland pubs and restaurants have been open since late May? Has there been an increase in deaths and serious illness in the last month there? Let’s just keep this simple now.

I’m NOT a public health expert

Neither are the cabinet

The experts however have provided briefing and advice to our elected officials

Speaking as someone with vulnerable family and friends I’m happy enough with that.

Much preferable than politicians making stupid populist decisions.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Can't comment on the exact issue... Due to mod instruction

But historical management scandals over wide ranging health issues, are very relevant to current management

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Question for you

What does NPHET stand for

That will give you an idea of their expertise...

And considering that there's already been an admission that their "optimistic" numbers were wrong, it doesn't say very much for their "expertise" does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Neither are the cabinet

Speaking as someone with vulnerable family and friends I’m happy enough with that.

Are your vulnerable family and friends not vaccinated at this stage?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You are naive if you don’t think the cabinet scrutinised the nphet report

They didnt actually have time to 'scrutinise' it.

Some are. Some aren’t.

Some are absolutely terrified of the delta variant and are happy that govt has listened to the experts on this occasion.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's very strange that Irish "experts" seem to read world wide clinical data completely different than all other countries "experts"...

What's special about the Irish ones.... Hummm...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ballynally wrote: »
    How many public health experts did get things spectacularly wrong during the pandemic? A model is based on an assumption of direction the data seems to point to.

Did the Government learn nothing from the UK, and "Professor Lockdown's" dodgy maths that wrongly predicted mass deaths...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/05/16/coding-led-lockdown-totally-unreliable-buggy-mess-say-experts/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Some are. Some aren’t.

Some are absolutely terrified of the delta variant and are happy that govt has listened to the experts on this occasion.

You sound like a wind up tbh

Some are. Some aren’t.

What experts, we don’t have experts, we do have an utterly shambolic health service though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Some are. Some aren’t.

Its not the right decision imo

Its based on flawed data

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Some are. Some aren’t.

Deference to authority without any consideration. You're not alone. A lot of Irish people outsource their thinking to so called "experts".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If they are not, it’s because the experts don’t see the need for them to be vaccinated.

Ironic eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Move aside Delta, there's a new variant in town.
    This should keep everything closed until Christmas.

https://twitter.com/honorverity/status/1409838787937640452

Link to variants around the world. - these figures are updated regularly and are the ones reported to have been sequenced and identified after positive test.

https://www.gisaid.org/hcov19-variants/

Deference to authority without any consideration. You're not alone. A lot of Irish people outsource their thinking to so called "experts".

Not at all

I don’t defer to them

I am happy our elected officials in the form of the cabinet have NPHET to brief and advise them

Remember. Some of the cabinet have no 3rd level qualifications (Simon Harris is one example) and almost all have no medical qualifications.

So yeah, the cabinet can disregard the advice. They can. But they are obviously won over by the reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is there now any reason to believe the travel will be back on the 19th July?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Neither are the cabinet

How many “expert” epidemiologists on NPHET? How many “expert” virologists on NPHET?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not at all

I don’t defer to them

I am happy our elected officials in the form of the cabinet have NPHET to brief and advise them

Remember, the cabinet can disregard the advice. They can. But they are obviously won over by the reports.

So why are they now looking for the ECDC or who to review the models?

If your family are that vulnerable, why can they not stay at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

thebaz wrote: »
    Experts predicting 2,000 could die by August, its scaremonging not rational advice . and the Irish public lap it up, whilst the rest of Europe and America open up, and live with the virus whilst the most vulbnerable are vaccinated.

2000 could die according to a model. Well, how certain are you that the model is correct? We are not, its just one model amongst many. Ok, which one IS more accurate then? We dont know, somewhere in the middle. More to the left or the right? Hard to tell but could be really bad. How certain are you that that will happen? Hard to tell but you dont want it to be that bad. When do we know it IS going to be bad? Much later. So it could be much more positive? Yes, but we cant take that chance. Could it actually turn out to be more positive than the models suggest? Hard to tell, we are more interested in a worse case scenario.
    Which is uncertain? Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I'm a healthy 40 year old and I'm vaccinated but not his vulnerable loved ones, poor attempt at trolling.

No trolling, just pointing out that he’s happy to accept the decisions of the experts while also being related to people who are high risk but unvaccinated upon the say so of the same experts while thousands of people who are not high risk get jabs.

Advertisement