Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

In Switzerland we had a lot of people taking the vaccine until we allowed people to enter nightclubs with antigen test. Since then vaccination has slowed down a lot. If nightclub and pub was open and only for vaccinated people, vaccination would be more popular. This is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This will be the way now, HSE struggle to treat people and see numbers rise, complain to government who then will look imposing lockdowns or restrictions in attempt to reduce numbers. Not only are the complaining about numbers of covid-19 patients rising but they were on the airwaves last week complaining about people going to hospital with injuries related to living life and having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Yeah but it’s only until we flatten the curve and give these heroes the time they need to prepare the health service. Any day now I’m sure……

Yes, and the one thread about measures being permanent is relegated to the conspiracy theory forum. I have long been of the opinion that it's unrealistic to believe that after almost 2 years of 2 weeks to flatten the curve that the hundreds of laws made and legislation introduced would all be repealed and life would resume as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Maybe Paul Reid should be more concerned about upgrading the capacity of the fvcking health service like they are supposed to have been doing for the past 14 months. Any talk of "rising" hospitalisations is complete bollixology - the numbers are almost negligible at present.

• Advertisement

But they can always say the numbers are rising. Even from 1 to 2 is a rise. 0 to 1 is a rise. It never ends.

I'm still waiting for a "journalist" (if there are any left in the country) to pull NPHET and particularly Philip "Snake Eyes" Nolan up on his bullshit modelling. Lets not forget this:

"The modelling for the Delta variant in Ireland shows shocking rises in the worst-case model, which one informant described as “grim and alarming” and another said would be “like an invasion.”

Fatalities and hospitalisations will approach, but not meet, the chaos and harrowing caseload seen in January, ministers are warned."

And yet here we are in August with a hospitalisation/ICU rate that's probably matching figures for those in hospital as a result of DIY accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 38,252 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So will be banned from non essential international travel come September

Seems to be a lot of Irish concerts been postponed indefinitely but the UK shows can go ahead. I knw very small thing in the grand scheme of things but still irritating just like watching the Euros with full stadiums a few weeks ago

Doesn't matter what label you put on it, their "best" and "worst" case scenarios are complete and utter rubbish - nothing approaching either of them has become a reality. This cannot be let go without serious questions being asked about the integrity of the people involved and why or how they over inflated figures to such a ridiculous extent.

If I modelled data in my job so erroneously I'd be out the door.

• Advertisement

I took the words directly from your post.

what makes you think they over inflated the numbers?

Modelling involves data in- data out.

There is nothing to show they falsified figures.

4 scenarios:

The four provide a range of potential cumulative cases across July to September from an optimistic 81,000 cases to a pessimistic 612,000 cases. All assume at least a moderate increase in social mixing.

How's that 81000 figure looking at the moment in the "best case"? If you want my opinion, I fully believe there was massaging of whatever data output was done to make it even more alarming, a last ditch attempt at prolonging their relevance.

What would they achieve by prolonging their relevance?

Nobody likes them.

Who knows what the motivation was, we don't have any journalist left in this country with the balls to ask hard questions needed to find out. One thing is clear and that is that none of these groups can be trusted - just look at ISAG and their manipulation of the media.

There are no journalists left in Ireland. That's one of the main reasons why Ireland continues to have harsh restrictions, i.e. no opposition.

Stay in the public eye, win awards such as the freedom of Dublin city. Many scientists have become celebrities. Fauci in America was described in a newspaper a few months ago as America's number 1 public health celebrity (it wasn't meant as a compliment). He's 24/7 on news programmes in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

But as the saying goes in the Data world "Garbage in, Garbage Out".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Have you a link or anything to back up the claim that non essential travel will be banned in September?

i’d say RTE and other so called media outlets must be rubbing their hands for this coming week when Worldometer comfirms the 200,000,000 case milestone. It’s going to be a beautiful week of clicks for them.

past 30k 5 weeks into a 13 week period where July was predicted to be far less than August and September. The final cases will definitely be within the range of the models

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Did you actually read the article you linked ?

It clearly states that in California even if fully vaccinated everyone aged 2 and over must wear face masks on public transport, (taxis, buses, trains, subway, ferries, etc.) transport hubs (bus stations, rail stations, subway stations, ferry ports, sea ports, marinas, airports etc,) in schools, health care and long term care facilities, prisons, homeless and emergency shelters, hospitals and nursing homes.

For unvaccinated face masks are still required in indoor public settings, which includes but not limited to, stores, markets, movie theaters, retail shops, meetings,restaurants, salons, government offices and any other indoor businesses which would include bars I believe it`s safe to assume.

• Advertisement

England and Scotland opening up there Arenas to full capacity

Meanwhile here's its 'nothing to see here' type thing regarding this industry. The Government/health officials think 'oh very possibly events of this type could be super spreaders, safer to keep them closed'

Frustrating

There really keeping the Entertainment industry wondering

We are like the guy who keeps screaming when he dips his toes in the pool while everyone else is diving in to it, it's embarrassing at this stage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’d like to see the over 60’s who got AZ get a top up of it rmna one if possible to be honest.

Are 'Hospitalisations' people who are admitted with severe symptoms or people that are already in hospital that caught it in hospital?

The dogs on the street knew this months ago.

"Sarah Hamill, Assistant Professor in Law at Trinity, said: "The overarching finding of this report is a significant lack of transparency in how and why important decisions were made during the Covid-19 pandemic in Ireland.

"Transparency and clarity are key aspects of public health governance and one of our recommendations of this report is the need for far more.

"If we don't have clear lines of decision-making and accountability, and a clear sense of the power resting with the Government, then the idea that we can have even notional democratic oversight for these powers seems very remote.

"This is undoubtedly a cause for concern."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,946 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Possibly but the government used the worse case numbers when deciding on an easing of restrictions. MM stated they took this into account when making their deliberations. They also spouted some awful guff about a hurricane of infection and that the worst thing to ever happen in the States history was about to occur.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

And it takes experts from Trinity to tell us this

Just after reading an article about measures that will be in place when students return to university. Here's a few of them:

• Ensure that all campus operations are conducted in such a manner as to manage any risk to individual and public health through adherence to relevant regulations
    • Adhering to standard hygiene measures including hand hygiene and dispensers, sanitary and respiratory hygiene, and cleaning procedures
    • Requiring face masks in indoor on-site shared settings in accordance with prevailing public health regulations and guidance
    • Working to optimise ventilation systems to minimise risk of viral transmission, in line with local context and assessment
    • Ensuring that entry and egress to buildings and facilities will be carefully managed via contra flow and other measures
    • Managing lecture times flexibly where required to provide for controlled exit and entry to large lectures and to avoid congregation
    • Actively manage large lecture theatres in particular, either by applying percentage occupancy limits, setting a maximum class size, an upper limit on lecture length/period of continuous occupancy or otherwise, depending on local context and risk assessment
    • Adopt the separate protocol agreed by the HEIs for the arrival of international students to Ireland to ensure their safety and that of the communities in which they will live and study

Masks (of course) required everywhere (of course) and it just sounds awful and it's depressing even reading about it. Imagine that kind of university life. I think the best word to describe Ireland is 'extreme'. Everything is, and has to be, extreme. I remember being horrified reading articles about Thai children being taught in plastic boxes: Thai school children taught in plastic boxes as they return to class | Metro News and articles about people in the Philippines wearing a mask plus a face shield everywhere at all times. I remember wondering why things were so extreme there, but I actually Ireland is just as extreme. Everything is micromanaged, the spontaneity of life is gone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Nah, that can’t be right sure we were told here over and over and over again that they are just there to give advice. Also, Trinity? They are just right wing nut jobs etc etc……

• Advertisement

Advertisement