Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

I’m NOT a public health expert

Neither are the cabinet

The experts however have provided briefing and advice to our elected officials

Speaking as someone with vulnerable family and friends I’m happy enough with that.

Much preferable than politicians making stupid populist decisions.

Standard response of someone who's job or financial wellbeing was not impacted by lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

For wanting an independent review of the modelling?

It’s amusing that the people being called conspiracy theorists are those asking for a transparent independent review rather than the ones ignoring all other viewpoints and sticking their fingers in their ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

ingo1984 wrote: »
    Standard response of someone who's job or financial wellbeing was not impacted by lockdowns.

My job certainly has been impacted.

My primary concern are my vulnerable family and friends and I make no apologies for that.

Cowen just after laying out the risks to vaccinated ppl from delta.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Happy to see one of my TDs, who I actually know quite well, was one who tried to stand up to this nonsense.

"Public Expenditure and Reform Minister Michael McGrath reportedly hit out at what he said was the “grenade” having been “lobbed on our desks” by Nphet."

Daniel McConnell: Reopening farce a mess of Government's own making
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40325555.html

If he disagrees, he should resign from the party

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

People on about the Christmas rise don't realise

1. We don't have 50,000 people coming home from abroad to spend time on different people's houses

2. We now have our vulnerable vaccinated

What NPHET did today with their "grenade" is disgusting and damaging in the extreme.

That are failed health managers, overseeing a failed health service.... failing the country once again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Seriously the people on here defending NPHET today are a ****ing embarrassment

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In other jurisdictions government and health advisers work together to show a united front.

I cannot understand why NPHET are allowed to make their recommendations without some discussion over the potential ramifications with the Government. They should all be working together and taking into account input from all stakeholders.

It appears we have a committee that has one dominant personality who comes across as calling all the shots with no consideration of wider ramifications of the "recommendations" being made. I am not seeing this approach being applied elsewhere, but am happy to be corrected on that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Question for you

What does NPHET stand for

That will give you an idea of their expertise...

No Pubs, Holidays, Entertainment or Travel.

Seen that posted somewhere and its not far from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There's only one reason why our advice turns to insistance and that's intimidation. They're quite clearly scared sh*tless of Tony. Simple as. There's literally no other reason why we're not like the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Where are FG and the Green’s tonight? Why is it Barry Cowen on The Tonight Show? He’s not even in cabinet.
    Anyone complicit in what has just occurred in the preceding 24 hours should be out to explain themselves.
    Good interview by Sarah McInerney on Stephen Donnelly on Prime Time - but she spared him a knockout blow in her questioning unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

gansi wrote: »
    That’s cancel culture and we seem to have embraced it here even if unwittingly.

Yup, it's a bit of cancel culture and a bit of the old Church method of having the Pope be infallible and we weren't to question it. We've just replaces the Pope with NPHET.

Beasty wrote: »
    In other jurisdictions government and health advisers work together to show a united front.

I cannot understand why NPHET are allowed to make their recommendations without some discussion over the potential ramifications with the Government. They should all be working together and taking into account input from all stakeholders.

It appears we have a committee that has one dominant personality who comes across as calling all the shots with no consideration of wider ramifications of the "recommendations" being made. I am not seeing this approach being applied elsewhere, but am happy to be corrected on that point.

Having lived in multiple countries during this pandemic, I can completely concur.

The one-dimensional obsession, unilateral transfer of power to the health body is definitely unique - and unique in a very bad and destructive manner.

No tribunals after this

Listening to Donnelly right now it should be jail time

Well they've already said herr tony will have two public inquiries. 1 into their mishandling of the nursing home massacre and 2 into their policies on antigen testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Stheno wrote: »
    The smart people in data and analytics do not work in the public sector
    Most of the modellers are students

The smart ones get picked by companies, get good salaries because money gained by the company who spot the talent.
    Mediocre ones stay in the public service, building a solid career, doing right by their bosses who might feel threatened by those with superior expertise.
    Ive had experience with the type of likeable managers in the public service.
    I briefly worked in the statistics office of the dep.of health under the Director General, in the Netherlands.
    Super nice guy, didnt put a foot wrong. Everybody working for him loved him just as i imagine TH. Didnt like surprises, though.

No Pubs, Holidays, Entertainment or Travel.

Seen that posted somewhere and its not far from the truth.

What a 'Cead Mile Failte' awaiting any tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

sydthebeat wrote: »
    FactCheck: Is Ireland one of the only countries in Europe without indoor dining? https://jrnl.ie/5480750

We are an embarrassment

Didn't Donnelly just say half an hour ago that Latvia were only allowing those vaccinated for indoor dining? What a spoofer
    Latvia – Indoor services are allowed but diners have to prove they have been vaccinated, are protected because of a previous infection or have a recent negative test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It’s amusing that the people being called conspiracy theorists are those asking for a transparent independent review rather than the ones ignoring all other viewpoints and sticking their fingers in their ears.

It's a classic tactic to put down opposing views. Imagine asking for a scientific review of data and being called a tin foil hatter, yet here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Very interesting comment from Daniel McConnell of the Examiner, who's usually fairly on the ball.

"Some have suggested that Dr Holohan, having gone toe-to-toe with the Government before — and won — knew what he was doing with this latest "grenade" and that a highly cautious Taoiseach was not going to defy his recommendation.

I met McNamara in the Dáil canteen yesterday and I mentioned his question as to who runs the country.

“Now we know,” came the curt response."

That has been obvious for months and even going back to last October when the same day Tony returned NPHET advice went from level three not needed nationally straight to level five

It's only going to get worse as things go on as the summer is gone for indoor hospitality and the focus will shift to getting schools open in September so any easing of restrictions will become harder and harder to get by Tony & NPHET

Deja vu from last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Feria40 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, George Lee just on RTE running with the NHPET worse case scenario without any question.

Just short of saying that we should be delighted that we are not going back into full lockdown...

So much like most of this thread then :pac:

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's a classic tactic to put down opposing views. Imagine asking for a scientific review of data and being called a tin foil hatter, yet here we are.

At the same time, we must acknowledge there are pretty conspiratorial views out there in the public domain.

The problem is when every critic, no matter how mild or reasonable, is lumped in with the most extreme conspiracists.

Head of the restaurants association stated they have a meeting scheduled with Leo where they will be seeking a definitive date, if not forthcoming they'll be taking to the streets in national protest. About time. Let the people speak, end this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Good on them

About time some pressure comes on the government

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Head of the restaurants association stated they have a meeting scheduled with Leo where they will be seeking a definitive date, if not forthcoming they'll be taking to the streets in national protest. About time. Let the people speak, end this nonsense.

I'll be there with them

I've never attended a protest in my life.

If this comes to fruition, I'll definitely be joining them.

There are some things worth fighting for, and this is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Hoolahan can't seem to let the power go.

Did he return to his position too soon?

Is the power keeping him distracted?

Harsh questions but nothing is making sense with his decisions.

Didn't Donnelly just say half an hour ago that Latvia were only allowing those vaccinated for indoor dining? What a spoofer

Saw a map of indoor dining across Europe earlier about four need antigen or vax Denmark and Latvia were on list plus two more.Will try to find it. But many more countries the majority didn’t require either according to that map.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

A definite date for reopening.. for the fully vacinated.

Not good enough.

Given social distancing rules, the fully vacinated will be sufficient footfall for restaurants. They are reasonably happy with this turn of events (all things considered) once they can open on the 19th.

Everyone else still gets screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I can understand how you can do total vaccinated for concerts/sports but how the hell are you meant to know if the person is totally vaccinated. Someone could give there card to anyone

Advertisement