Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And you think that's how it will stay?

It's only like that now because cinemas are heavily restricted in terms of seats that they can sell. Most will be operating below cost right now and won't be happy for that to continue.

So we can fully expect increased cinema capacity in return for access gated by the covid cert.

I do agree. vaccine efficacy is very iffy when you're over 65, so is the production of vitamin D, collagen, propensity for high blood pressure, lack of mobility

lack of interest in cooking heathy food (Vitamin/mineral deficiency) or any food (malnutrition in the elderly), mental motivation and that's before we go near the big hitters like heart disease, cancer, respiratory illnesses and so on.

So the over 65's will be the 1st to need any booster as it was always hit and miss on those above that age. And because of the factors stated they will be the hardest hit and quickest in hospital.

It's a bit of cyclical mess of a merry-go-round we're on.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭thebronze14

As a teacher they can **** off with the last one! I haven't heard many positive outcomes with learning from home be it from teachers/parents or students. Didn't matter if it were rural/disadvantaged inner city or posh suburb!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

They always roll the dice one too many times. They’ll only stop when people stop complying.

NO I don't. I fully believe that you'll need one to go the gym, shops, cinema and the likes, exactly as it is in Italy.

Imagine hundreds of years ago, the merchants of venice asking for ID to buy spices and sugar. Italy would be on its arse

and off the page of modern history.

I still say we are going through a process of incrementalism to the detriment of normal life and civil liberties.

If the USA try do it, all men are created equal and the pursuit of happiness will mean nothing.

• Advertisement

I fail to see how young healthy people, who are at absolutely 0 risk of getting sick from covid can be coerced to get 3 or more shots. That’s where a lot of people will draw the line.

the line has been drawn for you, the vaxed and unvaxed. Political ideals can give rise to all sorts of protests but that's it.

When people are in fear for their lives or the lives of their loved ones, they'll do anything. remember people abandon rational thought in the presenct of affection...EG... wear that condom, don't get carried away..don't abandon rational thought, AIDS KILLS! fair enough.

in the presence of anger! How dare you beep me in traffic, here, take a bunch of fives and change!!

BUT the worst is FEAR!!! what??? it;s airborne?? and I must take your word for it? wear a mask in work all day?, of course, take a jab? of course, lose my job?

Love thy neighbor is now fear my neighbor (New Zealand this morning, actual prime ministers words, don't talk to your neighbor). imagine a world were your elderly neighbor is in trouble and you cannot assist because the state has you on house arrest for 1 case in society!

WTF would we be like if bird flu jumped from human to human sustainably, that would really send their heads in a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

It's not about risk or health and wellbeing, it's about compliance.

If it was about creating a safe environment they'd use negative tests only as entry to restaurants, cinema's etc, that's a safe environment.

Using a vaccine pass for a vaccine that doesn't stop you getting infected or spreading that infection is retarted, that doesn't create a safe environment.

Why they are not pulled up on that crap I don't know.

I agree, it's going to happen.

People are very naive and walking straight into it, no questions asked.

I can only imagine the world my 5 and 2 year old son will live in when they become adults, it's sad and frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

So basically you are saying that we need to vaccinate only the vulnerables with a 3rd jab and then everybody is free. Wait... lockdown to protect the vulnerable, we need to vaccinate the vulnerable before we can ease restrictions, it will be only the over 80, then the over 60, then the adult population, then the over 12 ...deja-vu anybody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it".

The same thing goes with those entering the country. The only people we can be reasonably sure are not bringing SARS-CoV-2 infection with them, are the unvaccinated who have to present a negative PCR, isolate, and take another 5 days later.

The vaccinated could be bringing any old filthy variant in here. Yuck.

I still don’t know a single person who got covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Its not going to be 3 doses vs 2 doses. It will reset to zero, and it will be boosted vs unvaccinated.

A person with historical double jab, will be same as unvaccinated.

They’ll never get away with it. They’ve sold the line the two doses will get us out of the pandemic. People will look at what is happening in England and won’t accept that here.

Exactly

It's moronic, but that's science in 2021 😪

Could well be, especially if a variant like lambda comes along that deems current generation one vaccines obsolete.

All 3 doses will be reset to zero then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

On the contrary, Irish people have shown for the last 18 months that we'll happily accept any old nonsense in terms of restrictions even as other countries move ahead. I don't see why people would suddenly not accept it here. What would that even look like?

By the time we get down the full alphabetized list of variants and assuming the variants are less deadly which I hear is the way of it.

We'll be into 2027 and on lockdown for what amounts to be a nasty cold sore!

While the rich get richer without masks, you know, like these lads.

Martha's Vineyard sees COVID surge, but Obama party not a cluster ... yet (bostonherald.com)

G7 summit: Has this been a meeting that mattered? - BBC News

The number of lines they've sold since this started would put Piet Mondrian to shame, but people keep lapping it up nonetheless.

And with every change, many just insist (again) that we have always been at war with Eastasia. And so it goes.

• Advertisement

No I am saying the vulnerable will get a booster, as well as anyone else who wants one eventually. What i did not say is that it will in anyway be linked to restrictions. The over 70's can be done in weeks with the Romania supply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I have a lot of contempt for the UK media, but imagine the outcry in the press over there if there were still restrictions? The lack of pressure to speed things up would make one despair. It's only thousands of livelihoods at stake. Why do we always need to be a cautious outlier in the worst possible way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

See, you say that. But in practice thats not whats going to happen.

NPHET & govt will be unhappy about the spread of covid, and dictate that we all need 3rd doses to keep the spread down - and 4th, 5th, 6th etc, every 6 months or sooner.

If we all have a continuous strong antibody presence, we can deal with covid infections quicker and reduce the spread. All we have to do is get endless boosters or have our rights taken away. Simples

If the vulnerable only stay safe for a few months until it wanes and those double jabbed then begin to wane too, as there is talk of.

Those ones vaccinated will go back to being vectors once again, like the dreaded unvaccinated. So goes the question, how does one protect the most vulnerable here again?? more jabs, more boosters..ohhh but I took my two, oh yes sir but the science now says you've waned, you need to update..you want to have a meaningful fruitful life don't you?? and whilst there, update your phone, so it can take the new QR code.

The phone makers must be licking themselves through all of this too. Ohhh how do the certs get displayed ? why on your smart tech of course Mr samsung..#madeinchina just like covid...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Also just to "show my workings" - the US have just announced that all full vaccinated Americans will be recommended to get a booster shot - regardless of age. If you got 2 shots, well now you should get a 3rd. I'd be surprised if the same recommendation isnt made here.

All this doom is relentless. The PHE report is a good one to watch.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1008919/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_31.pdf

Excellent vaccine effectiveness

Excellent prevention of hospitalisation against delta even if prevention of infection is reduced

No sign of reduction in antibodies as yet

Even in the older populations vaccinated first

Massive gap between expected (pre-vaccine) and actual hospitalisations being maintained

Also, the Adenovirus and mRNA vacicnes do the same thing. Stimulate the body to produce the spike protein which the immune system then recognises and creates antibodies, the same antibodies. There is no reason why one or the other may produce a "weaker" antibody. When more data is analysed all spike protein vaccines will ultimately have very similar performance in the long run.

Bit of positivity is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I thought this Covid cert passport whatever you fcuking call it was only for eating and drinking indoors? I was in Dublin yesterday for a few drinks and went into Burger King on Grafton St to use the toilet before getting on the Luas. I had to show my cert on my phone and give my name and number before they would “let” me use the bathroom. There was literally no other customers in there just me and the two staff I could see. Didn’t some people here talk about mission creep before only to be shouted down yet again as crazy? Maybe I’m wrong?

Those are lovely graphs raind but the reality of what that 85-90% effectiveness of avoiding hospitilsation actually means in the real world is the difference between 5 and 2

If we have 1000 cases a day with that 85-90% effectiveness over the previous CHR of 5% with no vaccine's

It's 2 in hospital instead of 5

The difference between 5 and 2 is 85%

85% less chance of being admitted to hospital is the difference between being 60 and 70 years old

So the vaccine's made people 10 years younger once infected

An 85 year old is now at the same risk as a 75 year old once infected.

A 30 year old man is now same risk as a 20 year old ( as in was at little risk and now at more little risk )

All those 90% effectiveness are very misleading.

I'm 90% richer than you, I have €100m and you only have €33m, ye are both bloody rich.

I explained this yesterday:

100,000 people.

80,000 vaccinated, 20,000 unvaccinated

500 cases in vaccinated, of which 10 are hospitalised.

500 cases in unvaccinated, of which 25 are hospitalised.

That's a 90% reduction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

We're not in lockdown any more, we have relatively few (compared to January) restrictions still in place and there doesn't seem to be any appetite for more lockdowns from government leaks etc... even with cases rising.

There's so much crap spouted from pro and anti restriction advocates.

We're slow getting back to normal by European standards and that's made worse by our crumbling hospital infrastructure and our climate.

The restrictions you see here are very much being discussed as likely in Spain. I have family there and many regions are asking the national government to allow them use extended curfews, Covid passes etc... They will come in once the tourist season is over as Spain is heavily dependent on the tourism revenue. Luckily for them they have the weather to do nearly everything open air and outdoors. By end of September we probably won't have opened much more but I expect we won't be the outlier in terms of what is open/closed within EU countries.

Advertisement