Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

Mr. Ding doing his scary stuff again. This time a recent study out of India for AZ. Amazingly he forgets to mention that where this trial was taken they did a 4 week gap between doses. It does look increasingly more likely the vaccines do perform better with a longer gap between first and second doses.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Yes 10 vs 25

20 vs 50

2 vs 5

Same thing

Case vs case

I don't why you are bringing in efficacy of preventing infection 80,000 vs 20,000 into the conversation

We are only comparing case vs case.

2000 cases today has the same outcome as 5000 cases day last Jan.

90% reduction in hospitilisation in cases.

so what you're saying is, as long as we're not the extreme end, it's only minor impositions? In that case we should bow and say thanks that Tony is not reading from the new Zealand hymn sheet then eh? Relatively few compared to January?? that was a shyte show level 5 ffs! anything below level 5 is progress then?

what about Denmark and Sweden? why don't you compare Ireland to them? I know why, because that makes us look like a draconian state.

It's classic marketing 101 the old contrast rule, not even science. Show them the shyte house next door and they'll gladly buy anything you sell them.

As it stands, are we the only ones refusing Antigen tests and demanding 3 forms of ID to get into Costa coffee? Phone number, Photo ID and papers please.

here's a picture of Bill Murray playing golf today, arm in arm hardly social distancing is it? vaccinated can spread or pick it up too and he's the vulnerable profile like others with him. in the Irish indo today too of all rags. New Zealanders were told you can pick this up by passing somebody out in the park!!!

wear your mask outdoors all the time, don't talk to your neighbors. So like the Obama party, Covid cannot spread in the celebrity vaccinated?

What part of this does not add up for you?

Tom Coyne on Twitter: "Let’s go! #murraysdoireland day one @druidsglen https://t.co/UIdKMTIbt0" / Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

me, the wife and 2 kids had it few weeks ago. mild flu. i was unvaccinated, wife was vaccinated. same symptoms of illness.

it might be off topic but the indo are running this Dolores Cahill story today.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/uk-arrest-warrant-issued-for-irish-anti-vaccine-campaigner-dolores-cahill/ar-AANsIgu?li=BBr5KbJ

Not a word when a BLM protest in Blanch called for the murder of a member of AGS.

This is the media being balanced and having No agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing for restrictions I'm saying there is sensationalist shite from both sides.

If you want to bow or do whatever to/with "Tony" then feel free, he should be in the background and advising instead of front and centre is my opinion.

On point 1, no I'm saying that we won't be in lockdown in 2027 as we aren't even in lockdown now.

Do I think progress is moving from level 5 to what we have now? Yes. It's literally what progress means 'development towards an improved or more advanced condition.' Is it perfect? no, nor is it where I want to be but it's progress.

Why I didn't compare us to Denmark and Sweden is I have very little first hand knowledge of them or what's being discussed in the country although I'm aware Denmark needs Covid passes for indoor dining just like us and Sweden hasn't ever had major restrictions. I comment on Spain as I know the ins and outs better than any other country outside of Ireland as I have a vested interest and family there. The national government and the tourist industry are the only reason that there aren't much stricter conditions especially in Catalonia.

I didn't say I agree with all the restrictions, I certainly think our lack of use of antigen testing is a farce.

I'm not sure what you are bringing up about the Bill Murray photo, like Bill Murray, I can go play Golf and I can hold, shake hands etc... with whoever I like even if guidelines suggest I shouldn't.

The Obama party, I really couldn't care less and I know **** all about the restriction in every US state as I really don't need to so it's irrelevant to Irelands restrictions IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

It will be next summer at the earliest before live music is allowed in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I have tickets for a gig in January and was convinced when I bought them earlier in the summer it would be going ahead as things were looking good with vaccine rollout etc. Now I'm not so sure. Absolutely farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The year is 2025 . Hopefully live events can take place this year

• Advertisement

What I don't get is that we had those stupid pilot events in the summer in the Iveagh Gardens and in Kilmainham that were sold on the promise that they were the start of the return to live music and cultural events. Since then almost fook all has been done. Virtually no live music and we're still stuck at 500 max at sporting events outside of "pilot events". What are they waiting for?

Post edited by namloc1980 on

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

Those that think there will be additional restrictions this autumn/ winter, do you think the restrictions will be similar to late 2020/ early 2021? Will we be under stay at home orders? 5km enforced?

Do others think the status- quo will remain? No further unwinding of restrictions until late spring/ early summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I don't see any of that happening. The only way it would is if a new variant came along which the vaccines aren't effective against but currently we should have very high vaccination rates and baring that scenario I can't think of any logic that would see a return to those measures here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,315 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

**** irrate reading that

This is a shambles and truly disrespectful to all us irish people who done all we asked. Still the train to get back to normal is in no rush and NPHET know best 'not yet lads, don't be minding all those in Europe and UK'

Boris's quote of 'If not now then when ?' is actaully very true and our lot here need to think about that question

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yeah thats what I thought about the vaccine passports too. People don't seem to have an issue continually redrawing their lines in the sand. Its the perfect example of the boiled frog analogy. We'll be seeing the usual suspects on here saying, sure its just one more, what's the big deal? Then it will be it's just 6 monthly shots, what's the big deal? I don't have a problem with it, what restrictions etc etc

We are fucked. Life will never go back to normal.its a concerted effort all across western societies to introduce these passes. They won't stay at just these vaccines and they won't be temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭landofthetree

82% are fully vaccinated. 90% have got at least one dose. (Over 18s)

Why arent we opening fully now?

Waiting for all the 12-18 year olds? When they are done will it be we have to wait till all vulnerable get a booster? Or approval of a vaccine for under 12s?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Irish group think said Boris was crazy. But he was bang on the money.

If we get to Oct it will be impossible to open up. Nphet will be against.

Refusing to approve a plan for a roadmap for live music tells you exactly where we are headed. The government has effectively disappeared since the start of August and come late September/early October the weather will start turning a bit crappy and there's bound to be issues with cases in schools. Hence it'll be easier to justify keeping the brakes on for the winter. All they need to do is ride out the next few weeks without doing anything. The so called roadmap looks like it will be very light on specifics so will give the illusion of progress while containing very little concrete easing of restrictions. They'll throw a bone out with communions and confirmations.

The vaccine programme is coming to an end with decreasing return and huge numbers are vaccinated so the question must be asked "if not now, when?".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Those were purely performative and were pilots for nothing whatsoever.

Just smoke and mirrors to give the public the perception that this was an agenda item for the government.

We're being treated like fools.

Absolutely and it was quite clear that is what they were at the time. However numerous posters here rubbished the idea that they were little more than show events for nothing and were indeed the beginning of the return of live music. I wonder will any of those posters come back and admit they were wrong. Unlikely.

• Advertisement

Primo Levi would chuckle at this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

It absolutely 100% will happen, look at Israel .

edit - can't post links (why ??????) but look at BBC homepage ...

Israel extends Covid restrictions to three-year-olds as cases surge

File photo showing an Israeli medic performs a Covid-19 swab test on a child in a vehicle at a drive-through centre in Jerusalem on 29 July 2021image sourceAFP

image captionCovid-19 tests for children aged 11 and under will be free as almost all are ineligible for vaccination

Israel is now requiring anyone over the age of three to show proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test before entering many indoor spaces, as it tackles a sharp rise in infections.

Restaurants, cafes, museums, libraries, gyms and pools are among the venues covered by the "Green Pass" system.

Lost the plot completely ...

If anyone wants a glimpse into the future look at Israel , at least Australia have an excuse with little vaccinations, but Israel ?? why are they doing this ??

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

It’s hilarious. How it went from “2 weeks to flatten the curve” to “We can get back to normal when the under 6’s get vaccinated” I’ll never know.

The mental gymnastics from some people is mad. A few months ago they were claiming vaccine passports were a wild conspiracy and the minute they were introduced suddenly they are a great idea and always going to happen etc etc.

The sad reality is there’s a significant amount of the population who are loving these restrictions and new regime. The amount of silent authoritarians in society shocks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I don't think we'll go back to level 5 restrictions/stay at home, but I do think that the current restrictions will mostly stay in place and might get a tad harsher for example closing some indoor activities, reducing the amount of people that can meet/event sizes, requiring the covid certs for more things, and advising workers to work from home if possible. Hope to be 100% wrong on this, but I prefer to be prepared and will be happy to see restrictions lifted instead.

Pubs closing again would be a disaster

Its scary that hard lockdown is still a possibility and sure 'we can just borrow more money for supports' etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The CMO and NPHET need less of this constant concern. The population need to accept that some people will get sick and a few will unfortunately die. Hospitals will be at or near capacity so no change there from any other winter.

Until we accept this it will be an endless cycle of restrictions, boosters and fear.

Time to move on and let people take personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭JDxtra

...and stop watching the news, especially RTE. They are not balanced and are loving the constant fear as it drives up viewers, listeners, clicks and profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

These restrictions are here to stay in some way unfortunately. I was eating out Today, outdoors even though fully vaccinated. I went inside to use the toilet. The pub which is a very well known pub for food was absolutely dead and lifeless. Sad to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement