Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You do realize that VAERS is an unsubstantiated reporting site open to anyone to log whatever they want right?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL1N2MZ2H8

Uh, no it isn’t. It’s open only to doctors, and it’s managed by the CDC. Also it’s required by law that healthcare providers log any deaths related to a specific set of vaccines, guess which vaccines are NOT on that list?

Source: VAERs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Uh, no it isn’t. It’s open only to doctors, and it’s managed by the CDC. Also it’s required by law that healthcare providers log any deaths related to a specific set of vaccines, guess which vaccines are NOT on that list?

Source: VAERs

Does this discussion not belong on a different thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

hamburgham wrote: »
    Does this discussion not belong on a different thread?

Probably, but I like to call out medical misinformation when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Probably, but I like to call out medical misinformation when I see it.

Are you as qualified as Paul Reid and in similar salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RamonD3

Next election, remember this and bury the government and all of these privileged, government-funded institutions who tried to deny you your livelihood.

Agree with you, but we've also had one of the most pathetic oppositions in the history of the State. Only Michael McNamara and Peadar Toibin have consistently challenged the groupthink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

And that's why a protest is needed

also, now that we are not all in this together vaccine dicrimination on age and access to indoor pints going to cause mayhem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Next election, remember this and bury the government and all of these privileged, government-funded institutions who tried to deny you your livelihood.

This. Id have normally voted for one of the arse cheeks, but the ineptness, cowardice, lack of vision and arse covering of this Government has changed that for a long time.

It would also make you wonder about some of the things that one takes almost for granted in an election:

Health Service cant be fixed no matter who gets elected.

Housing issues are a legacy of the comstruction bust of last decade and will take a long time to fix.

Nothing can be done about our massive economic dependence on multinationals and FDI.

Transport system creaking at the seams.

Justice system Etcetera.

You couldnt have any faith in the zoo that is the current Governement parties to bring anything other than rabid conservatism and cowardice to bear on any of the major problems faced by the country or to bring a bit of vision to things like WFH which could be a real boon to some of the issues above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

gozunda wrote: »
    If you're interested here's the ECDC modeling in relation to projected rise in case, hospitalisations and death rates due to the Delta variant

See: https://t.co/snmcuduiD0?amp=1

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1409975770898907139?s=20

I'm sure the ECDC weren't talking about the country with the harshest restrictions not easing their restrictions when they made that analysis. Its very disingenuous of NPHET to put that in their letter to government and pretend it relates to Ireland. And it says more easing shouldn't happen until vulnerable are vaccinated. 2 weeks time everybody over 45 and all other vulnerable will have 2 doses if they want one, theres no reason shouldn't open restaurants fully in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

gozunda wrote: »
    If you're interested here's the ECDC modeling in relation to projected rise in case, hospitalisations and death rates due to the Delta variant

See: https://t.co/snmcuduiD0?amp=1

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1409975770898907139?s=20
    I have posted this a couple of weeks ago on the vaccination thread. It is a trend that has been observed since February.

Underlying material is here (table 4, page 12).

Between Feb 1 and June 14 60,624 severe outcomes were attributed to the delta variant. Of which 73 lead to death (0.12%).

Interesting are the vaccination cohorts in that group. 35,521 of those were unvaccinated leading to 34 deaths amongst them. Whereas 4,087 have fully vaccinated status leading to 26 deaths.

Of course the average age of the fully vaccinated is obviously much higher than the competently unvaccinated. So it appeared that even vaccination didnt drive death rate of the old vaccinated (0.64%) below the death rate of the young unvaccinated (0.1%).

Before anyone says those percentages still seem quite high it must be repeated this was amongst the recorded severe cases only. So I guess true IFR rates are anything between factor 10 or 20 smaller again. And then there are the undetected on top of it which could be factor 10 again after that.
    I guess thats why England expects to go ahead with the full abandonment of restrictions regardless. Overall threat assessment must be tiny.

I've actually been wondering is this delta variant the one we've been talking about when it was said that the virus will eventually 'run out of steam' and peter out into relatively harmless strains.

I would like someone to review my interpretation of the data in this post.

But it appears that NPHET modelling is not taking into account real word findings on delta from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Fils wrote: »
    Are you as qualified as Paul Reid and in similar salary?

LOL great argument you've got there, we might as well just delete the entire forum thanks to you.

Also wtf does salary have to do with anything???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

It's common to come out with that old gripe we are the laughing stock of the world, then almost remembering with my next thought that most of the world don't really know, or even care much about this little island perched of the north west coast of Europe.

This should go down as the best example of weak governance and with what we've seen with successive governance, both elected and not (the civil service) that's saying something. We reap what we sow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Apparently an FOI request turned up this gem:

https://twitter.com/MarmaladeMax/status/1409777042237890564?s=19

This guy Mark, a private citizen, has had the models for months through FOI and critiqued them. He Has been tagging journos etc.
    Now public mood has turned against the models the Journos are saying the models are secret because they haven’t been doing their work as journalists all along. They haven't been asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

I have posted this a couple of weeks ago on the vaccination thread. It is a trend that has been observed since February.

Underlying material is here (table 4, page 12).

Between Feb 1 and June 14 60,624 severe outcomes were attributed to the delta variant. Of which 73 lead to death (0.12%).

Interesting are the vaccination cohorts in that group. 35,521 of those were unvaccinated leading to 34 deaths amongst them. Whereas 4,087 have fully vaccinated status leading to 26 deaths.

Of course the average age of the fully vaccinated is obviously much higher than the competently unvaccinated. So it appeared that even vaccination didnt drive death rate of the old vaccinated (0.64%) below the death rate of the young unvaccinated (0.1%).

Before anyone says those percentages still seem quite high it must be repeated this was amongst the recorded severe cases only. So I guess true IFR rates are anything between factor 10 or 20 smaller again. And then there are the undetected on top of it which could be factor 10 again after that.
    I guess thats why England expects to go ahead with the full abandonment of restrictions regardless. Overall threat assessment must be tiny.

I've actually been wondering is this delta variant the one we've been talking about when it was said that the virus will eventually 'run out of steam' and peter out into relatively harmless strains.

I am no longer discussion numbers/statistics on this thread but i will give you one insight.
    There still will be a number of people dying from SarsCov2, mainly older people who's immune systems are impaired and some younger people suffering fr the same. As the vaccines train the adaptive immune system those people will be less protected and newer, more transmissible variants might be more problematic. That also happens in influenza epidemics.
    However, the good news is that it seems that the new variants lead to less severe symptoms, cytokine storms, organising pneumonia and other immune system reactions that actually kill the patients as opposed to the virus itself.
    So, the link from infection to hospitalisation to deaths looks very different now.
    Together w vaccinations, a better use of hospital treatments w steroids/Ivermectin and general upcoming developing treatment methods we can handle this virus.
    Strange but i thought TH was on board with that like most 'experts' around the world. Maybe he still is but is totally focused on keeping the numbers down by any means possible. He has said repeatedly that his eye is on the new school season and protecting children. Im thinking he might be willing to sacrifice both the truth and everyone else to achieve his goal.
    But his job is actually advising the cabinet using current data, not tweaking the data to get a certain outcome because of your agenda. TH has been given power and it has gone to his head. I think the top politicians suspect that but have put him in that position and are now loathe to drop him.
    So, in those circumstances another committee will look at the whole thing again. More delay.
    I can see the politicians dilemma. Drop the CMO and admit culpability or keep him and be accused of unaccountability and a looming cabinet crisis.
    This thing is not going to go away..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As the Indo tells it, this all seems to be down to Micheal Martin being unable to make a decision himself, and Holohan - himself an arrogant dominating individual as we've seen in the pressers - taking advantage of this weak ineffectual man to push his agenda...
    At a tense Cabinet meeting yesterday morning, ministers lashed out at Nphet’s recommendation, which landed late the previous evening.

Justice Minister Heather Humphreys said the advice amounted to being placed in a room with two doors – behind one was a blazing fire and behind the other were hungry lions.

Public Expenditure Minister Michael McGrath said Nphet had “thrown a grenade on to their desks” with its call
    for a vaccine identification system.

Culture Minister Catherine Martin, Education Minister Norma Foley and Higher Education Minister Simon Harris also raised concerns about how vaccine passes would work and the backlash they could cause.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin told the Cabinet he asked chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan what his advice would be if the Government could not develop a vaccine pass for pubs and restaurants and said he was told indoor dining would have to be banned for the “foreseeable future”.

Green Party minister of state Ossian Smyth told RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta the Government would be asking an independent body such as the World Health Organisation or the European Centre for Disease Control to review Nphet’s data on the Delta variant.

“We will be looking at it again independently on the figures outside of Nphet. We will ask them [an independent authority] to look at the figures independently,” he said.

However, his comments came only hours after the Taoiseach ruled out reviewing
    Nphet’s figures.

“The idea of setting up alternative, different pools of advices and researches, would lead to incoherence in the short term,” Mr Martin said.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/scramble-to-save-summer-ministers-incensed-at-nphet-race-on-to-develop-vaccine-id-amid-shock-advice-40596602.html

.... It almost reads like an abusive relationship between them to be honest. One of them has to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Cal4567 wrote: »
    It's common to come out with that old gripe we are the laughing stock of the world, then almost remembering with my next thought that most of the world don't really know, or even care much about this little island perched of the north west coast of Europe.

True, it should be laughing stock of Europe... Speaking to all my family back home in the UK, they are baffled at what is going on here.. As am I.

Just ridiculous... Don't do this, don't do that... do what we say. bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

robbiezero wrote: »
    This. Id have normally voted for one of the arse cheeks, but the ineptness, cowardice, lack of vision and arse covering of this Government has changed that for a long time.

It would also make you wonder about some of the things that one takes almost for granted in an election:

Health Service cant be fixed no matter who gets elected.

Housing issues are a legacy of the comstruction bust of last decade and will take a long time to fix.

Nothing can be done about our massive economic dependence on multinationals and FDI.

Transport system creaking at the seams.

Justice system Etcetera.

You couldnt have any faith in the zoo that is the current Governement parties to bring anything other than rabid conservatism and cowardice to bear on any of the major problems faced by the country or to bring a bit of vision to things like WFH which could be a real boon to some of the issues above.

Agree with most of what you say but I am not a fan of WFH as an urban deweller it has impacted unevenly on big cities making them wastlands overnight and increasing house price inflation on rural areas.

Many WFH have fled the country, and so have some of the benefits of FDI

Banning construction in level 5 is causing major problems now in material and manpower resourses inflating costs in building sector being felt now.

Varadkar on NT now and for someone who is normally so comfortable in the media, he's stumbling badly to stand over this one.

Totally unconvincing - even more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As the Indo tells it, this all seems to be down to Micheal Martin being unable to make a decision himself, and Holohan - himself an arrogant dominating individual as we've seen in the pressers - taking advantage of this weak ineffectual man to push his agenda...

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/scramble-to-save-summer-ministers-incensed-at-nphet-race-on-to-develop-vaccine-id-amid-shock-advice-40596602.html

.... It almost reads like an abusive relationship between them to be honest. One of them has to get out.

For the first bit you’ve bolded, the response from Martin should have been “then we need to implement antigen testing like other countries using such a pass are doing”. I’d imagine the actual response was more along the lines of “yes, your majesty”.

For the first bit you’ve bolded, the response from Martin should have been “then we need to implement antigen testing like other countries using such a pass are doing”. I’d imagine the actual response was more along the lines of “yes, your majesty”.

And that's my point. This all seems to boil down to Holohan being able to dominate their conversations and Martin being too weak and cowed to stand his ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Varadkar spoofing on Newstalk

Never heard him say aam as much

Trying to defend the indefensible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Varadkar on NT now and for someone who is normally so comfortable in the media, he's stumbling badly to stand over this one.

Shane coleman really putting it to him. Really like the point that if the UK dont fall apart in the next 3 weeks then NPHET have no credibility.

Also someone earlier on there also made the great point that if their projections turn out true this would have happened anyway, indoor dining isnt going to be the singular cause of it so if we close indoor dining and theres no spike they still lose their credibility.

Ahhh, ummm... *talk rapidly and nervously*

All you need to know about Leo's attempt to justify and stand over this as I type

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

It’s disappointing for many but let’s be honest comparing ourselves to other countries is abit ridiculous - our drinking culture is the real issue. It’s a lack of trust from the government and you can’t blame them, anyone who frequents Dublin City centre will know this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

he doesn't believe it himself - he knows NPHET are insane.

Do they (FF) have more dirt him ? Remember he took Tony H to task and then the trouble with the leaks came. It was well known he agreed to pipe down in return for FF support and hasn't strayed much since from the Michael Martin line.

if he had any balls he'd put it up to Martin or the FF party - and threaten to take down the government.

Time to actually act or time for a heave against MM within FF- hopefully the FF back benchers know it's time to save their seats.

I know I've been banging the anti restriction drum for a year but yesterday was momentous in terms of utter gob****ery and I'm seeing a huge change in attitudes which is good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Leo is really so poor for a normally suave media performer. He doesn't believe what he is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Varadkar spoofing on Newstalk

Never heard him say aam as much

Trying to defend the indefensible

People are quick to forget that he was the only one who went against NPHET’s advise last year, bet your life he’s struggling to stand over yesterday’s decision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Relax brah wrote: »
    It’s disappointing for many but let’s be honest comparing ourselves to other countries is abit ridiculous - our drinking culture is the real issue. It’s a lack of trust from the government and you can’t blame them, anyone who frequents Dublin City centre will know this

our drinking culture is very similar to most northern european countries
    its' not unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Relax brah wrote: »

Yeah cause our drinking culture is so different to the UK which is fully open

Having lived in Belgium they love their sessions too

It's a BS excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

What I find surprising is that the opposition hasn’t really come out in opposition of this. They are talking more about opposing the vaccine passport to dine in than anything.
    I reckon they will have to allow antigen tests. That will be the compromise
    Crazy that we are opening travel before indoor dining. Absolutely crazy. Things like this are going to push semi normal people to the extreme right. Or left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Leo just said on RTÉ radio 1: “even in level 5, the most restrictive time, we were not preventing people from serving food in pubs”- yes but in level 5, we weren’t allowed to go more than 5km from home and had to have a written reason for staying in a hotel. Now, anyone can just rock up, yet many restaurants and pubs remains unable to open. Total clown show of a government.

Advertisement