Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

They applied for all the semis together. This one was delayed two weeks. There was no request for extended capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

I know loi clubs have asked more bigger attendances.

Why are UCD tomorrow night allowed near double the crowd that Bohs are allowed, when Bohs stadium is bigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

NPHET in call over vaccinations for over 16s before restrictions eased further

The National Public Health Emergency Team has called for 90% of over 16s to be fully vaccinated before a further widespread easing of restrictions, it is understood.

The criteria is contained in the group's latest letter to the Government containing recommendations on the next stage of the pandemic.

One Government source said there was surprise at the request and that it was a very high threshold.

It is likely to take another six weeks to meet that target.

In the letter, NPHET said that once the threshold is reached, a switch could take place from a focus on regulations to public health advice and personal judgment.

However, it says that masks would still be required for indoor retail and public transport.

NPHET call over vaccinations before restrictions eased (rte.ie)

No way the government will go against NPHET here so they've just bought another 6 weeks minimum with no further easing of restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Time for the government to actually grow a pair of balls and tell NPHET where to stick that advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭aziz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

Moving goalposts. A few weeks time what's to stop them announcing when 90% over 12s are vaccinated ? Or when over 90% of vulnerable/ healthcare/everyone else has a booster? This could be dragged out a long time. Will continue to keep an eye on Europe - Denmark due to lift all restrictions soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Might never get 90% of over 16s - thats a massive ask

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Trust Tony to knock anything progressive on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Surprise surprise, off go the goalposts again far into the distance. Hold firm for another 6 weeks.

The last excuse was the 60s age group, they should all be fully vaccinated now. What the F¥<k is going on in this country. Open up now before the shots have worn off, because in 6 weeks time they’ll be telling us to wait until the elderly have completed their boosters.

Its insane, it’s completely ff the wall insane now - I literally cannot stand a minute more of these people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I don’t think they can accept this recommendation given the sound bites given off over the past few days.

Its politics vs science now

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Absolutely. It’s time now for the government to put NPHET back in their box and ignore this latest last minute demand (they seem to have a track record of dropping **** like this out of the blue). They are an advisory group and do not run the country - it’s time for the elected government to make a very clear display of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

We’re already over that for first doses. I don’t have any doubt we’ll get over 90%, in fact I would expect it to happen way before 6 weeks.

What I wonder is what difference 84% or 90% will make, since everyone over 30 or vulnerable has been double jabbed for a good while. But I guess it’s a nice round easy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,312 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

ffs just when I thought things were looking promising NPHET come out with this, 6 more bloody weeks

So what's stopping them changing directions again in 3 weeks time

6 weeks would bring us to mid October with the BH and Halloween festivities near that. Then we have Christmas coming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

That is a new one one "Just a little longer, a meaningful halloween is within reach "

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

@KrustyUCC

However, it says that masks would still be required for indoor retail and public transport.

This is incredibly depressing. If 90%+ vaccinated is still not enough to get rid of mandatory mask mandates then I guess I have to resign myself to the idea that they’re never going away in Ireland. I'm beginning to wonder if emigrating is really going to be the only path back to normal. I honestly can’t see a light at the end of the damned tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No it's not and they'll get there well before 6 weeks.

A simple look at the dose 1 stats shows you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭snowgal

I kinda presumed this is exactly what it would be tbh. Didnt lord Tony say just the other day that he thought about 6-8 weeks to remove restrictions. My place of work depends on restrictions being lifted to operate properly and that's what we've based it on after all the talk this week....

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

apologies I thought this was a discussion based on the restrictions here in ireland on an irish message board.

but i'd be willing to discuss the "numerous" (the word used) young deaths in other countries with similar attributes (like UK or EU country) if you think that'll sway your argument . It wont.

144 deaths "with covid" - not from covid for under 25 in england - out of 19-20million.

your point makes no sense.

What he said was in 6 weeks they expected the vaccine rollout to be at its optimum levels including taking into account the 1-2 weeks after 2nd dose.

After that it's expected to go from legislation to public health guidance, as in personal responsibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The only thing that's really holding it up is the required gap between vaccines, 110K is at worst 4 days of MVCs doing their thing and one would imagine the vast bulk of those will be done over the next 2-3 weeks.

Exactly, rough estimates have 90% over 16 done with 2 doses within the first 2 weeks of September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Lads, we’ve known this for a year and a half now. NPHET cannot and will not let go of the power they have. They are a bunch of absolute cvnts.

What % of 16 or 17 year old's have been fully jabbed, or even had the first jab, can't be 90% surely ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

As of August 18th, 70% registered in the 16-17 group

Total population over 16 which is being referenced here as of today,

93.1% of 16+ have received one dose

84.4% are fully vaccinated

That's good, i thought it was every 16 or 17 year old had to be jabbed twice. Would of been a bit extreme that, even Macron would not come up with something like that.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

But then a further 2 weeks after that for vaccine to take effect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

It makes no difference

The goalposts are gone now anyway. We will have to vaccinate 100% of the population soon

They might as well just come out and say it now.

Herd immunity isn't some magical pinpoint governments can set where all of a sudden all is well either. It's a scaled threshold where new infections start slowing down. The term has been bastardised from the beginning of this and we are no where near herd immunity either, lots and lots of people are going to be infected and end up in hospital these next few months

Yup which is where the estimates for end of September for a large scale lifting of restrictions comes from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

I know it is coming from Gavan Reilly, but I am doubting this number of 93.1% Yesterday he was tweeting:

Vaccination:

½: 3398237 (86.9% of 16+)

Full: 3277167 (83.8%)

Paul Reid numbers:

• 13th august "almost 90% of adult partially vaccinated"
    • 24th august "91%"

Given the slowness of the increase, we are probably still around 91% for 18+, and then probably under 90% if you include the 16/17yo with a lower uptake. Which is why the comments are that it can take 6weeks. Because you need to find 2/3% of people to get a first jab (if they exist) and then wait for 4weeks to give them a second jab. Endless

Advertisement