Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It's fair to say the government have made a serious balls of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Where do you get that from? The actual Regulation says otherwise. Individual Member States can impose additional restrictions because Health Policy is a Member State competence. The Green Cert relies on each Member State acting in good faith and mutual recognition. EU actually has no power to implement it because Health is not covered under the treaties.

Yes, individual countries can impose restrictions but i dont think that means they wont accept other country's DCC. That is what i think 'mutual recognition' means. Restrictions are implemented on a country level, depending on where you are flying from, so people fr a 'red' country w a DCC can be prohibited to enter. They cant stop people travelling from a low risk country w their own DCC.
    But you seem to suggest that.
    Is it open to interpretation, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

charlie14 wrote: »
    8,000 in Croke Park for the Leinster Semi-finals on Saturday.
    That's only because they switched them from somewhere that would allow 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

RobitTV wrote: »
    LOL

Tubridy is hoping to cover his ass before the future backlash arrives

https://twitter.com/EwanMacKenna/status/1410161949044883464

Its like a 15 month long episode of Black Mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

That's a "test event". The other championship games is as per the actual limit of 500. It's an absolute joke.

Far as I recall the U.K. did much the same. Unless I`m greatly mistaken their first test event was not 45,000 supporters in Wembley.

• Advertisement

It's fair to say the government have made a serious balls of this.
    More that they were walked into this. While they won't go against NPHET, these scenarios are likely to arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That's a "test event" along with one or two others. The other championship games is as per the actual limit of 500. It's an absolute joke. 500 people in a 44,000 capacity stadium. It's mind boggling.

The reasoning behind it is they don't want people congregating at bars in the stadium or too many people in the crowds going in/out of the turnstiles or in the roads leading to/from the grounds

What they should be doing is only allowing certain seats/sections to come and go at certain times on the clock and stagger the fans coming and leaving the stadium - based on seat if needs be

A bit of hassle but it would increase capacities

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

We are all in this together. #Holdfirm

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1410002817687883786

Far as I recall the U.K. did much the same. Unless I`m greatly mistaken their first test event was not 45,000 supporters in Wembley.

Why didnt we just use their data on test events?

Or do we only sit back and use their data when it suits ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ballynally wrote: »
    Yes, individual countries can impose restrictions but i dont think that means they wont accept other country's DCC. That is what i think 'mutual recognition' means. Restrictions are implemented on a country level, depending on where you are flying from, so people fr a 'red' country w a DCC can be prohibited to enter. They cant stop people travelling from a low risk country w their own DCC.
    But you seem to suggest that.
    Is it open to interpretation, then?

Yes they can put additional restrictions at will.

55. To ensure coordination, the Commission and the other Member States should be informed when a Member State requires holders of certificates to undergo, after entry into its territory, quarantine or self-isolation or to be tested for SARS-CoV-2 infection, or if it imposes other restrictions on holders of such certificates.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32021R0953&qid=1625042455003&from=EN

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's only because they switched them from somewhere that would allow 200.

Bigger venue, bigger crowd. Same as most others countries who held these test events as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Why can't we learn from these test events in other countries who are ahead of us instead of repeating the same thing?

It's similar with the vaccine pass talk. Other countries have implemented perfectly fine systems. We could have spent the last couple of months learning from them, instead we're only starting now on our own (worse) implementation.

Months ago. Why are we testing again and not learning? The UK and other EU countries would be more than happy to share their data and learnings. Or are we special?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Why didnt we just use their data on test events?

Or do we only sit back and use their data when it suits ?

Sorry, I`m not sure what your point is .Use the test events data for what exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

Quags wrote: »
    But people do not want the vaccine and to be basically bullied into it so you can enjoy indoor dining sounds very Nazism to me. This thing isnt going anyway soon and while it will kill people so will the flu and numerous other things so why cant people just get on with their lives and if you feel personally your not comfortable eating indoors with the non vaccination ppl then Im sure some places will accept the golden vac card

If thats how people feel, then maybe we can keep the database of people vaccinated vs not vaccinated. When hospitals fill up to capacity maybe we can then use the said database to kick those who wouldn't get a vaccine to the back of the queue for the ICU beds??

Jesus wept. the selfishness of some people to think that they don't need to be vaccinated.

The reasoning behind it is they don't want people congregating at bars in the stadium or too many people in the crowds going in/out of the turnstiles or in the roads leading to/from the grounds

What they should be doing is only allowing certain seats/sections to come and go at certain times on the clock and stagger the fans coming and leaving the stadium - based on seat if needs be

A bit of hassle but it would increase capacities

In fairness I don't agree with a lot of what you post but you're at least putting in the effort to come up with reasonable alternative solutions that still take heed of NPHET advice. I don't understand why government can't do the same.

Sorry, I`m not sure what your point is .Use the test events data for what exactly ?

Eh . They have already proved they are safe . Why are we doing the same thing at the same starting point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭robbiezero

"No interest/ambition" sums up our entire response to this pandemic.
    Done nothing, tried nothing and on it goes......

Months ago. Why are we testing again and not learning? The UK and other EU countries would be more than happy to share their data and learnings. Or are we special?

Months ago the U.K. had much higher levels of those vaccinated than Ireland and used test event before increasing attendance numbers. Much the same as we are doing now with 8,000 in Croke Park this Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Jesus Christ lord above

What can you actually learn from having 500 people in a 44,000 capacity stadium? Its useless and is nothing more than a bit of theatre to show us "look we're doing something anyway".

Bigger venue, bigger crowd. Same as most others countries who held these test events as far as I know.
    You'd wonder at the GAA planning to have it in a place that only allows 200. Sure, it's a pain to get to Dublin but at least more people can. We really do need to be cranking up from the hundreds and thousands at this stage to bigger numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

daheff wrote: »
    If thats how people feel, then maybe we can keep the database of people vaccinated vs not vaccinated. When hospitals fill up to capacity maybe we can then use the said database to kick those who wouldn't get a vaccine to the back of the queue for the ICU beds??

Jesus wept. the selfishness of some people to think that they don't need to be vaccinated.

Shockingly, people don't like being coerced by the state into taking a vaccine that hasn't gone through any of the standard protocols, just so that they can have a sniff of freedom. You're rights aren't a contract, you are born with them, you aren't meant to have to do certain things to get them back, as it goes against the very nature of rights.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Months ago the U.K. had much higher levels of those vaccinated than Ireland and used test event before increasing attendance numbers. Much the same as we are doing now with 8,000 in Croke Park this Saturday.

You're not reading any of the posts. Waste of time engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

What can you actually learn from having 500 people in a 44,000 capacity stadium? Its useless and is nothing more than a bit of theatre to show us "look we're doing something anyway".

Absolutely nothing, but it makes for a nice covid theatre piece on the Six One News. Farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

looks like the summer is gone really for hospitality mid september when schools are back before any indoor opens , time to head to northern ireland and mainland britain so for weekend fun! awful pity we ever broke from Britain at all. The Republic of Ireland is a failed state.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    looks like the summer is gone really for hospitality mid september when schools are back before any indoor opens , time to head to northern ireland and mainland britain so for weekend fun! awful pity we ever broke from Britain at all. The Republic of Ireland is a failed state.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if indoor gets pushed back further to avoid putting the schools at risk. Then we'll be near Christmas.

I half expect George Lee to turn up on the RTÉ news around halloween in a grim reaper costume shouting at us about what happened at Christmas last year while we have 5 people in hospital and 1 in ICU*.

*For anyone considering replying saying I'm just making things up to be mad about, this sentence is what's known as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In fairness I don't agree with a lot of what you post but you're at least putting in the effort to come up with reasonable alternative solutions that still take heed of NPHET advice. I don't understand why government can't do the same.

I don't like it but NPHET are the experts, and they are only giving their opinion and they might be wrong now but in the past they have been right!

At the same time I think we are at a point here where we are probably staring down the barrel of another lockdown this coming winter due to the influence from our neighbouring countries - and that will be regardless of what we do now.

So let's copy what our neighbours are doing and give the people of Ireland a bit of a breather in the mean time? If I'm wrong (and hopefully I am) then even better!

• Advertisement

Eh . They have already proved they are safe . Why are we doing the same thing at the same starting point ?

Perhaps because it may not be always advisable to follow the results of others when a later variable becomes known.
    The India variant has slowed down the U.K. reopening and had it been present when they did their test events, then their conclusions may have been much different on attendance numbers.

Advertisement