Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,311 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Reckon hotels need Xmas party nights this year no doubt they were missed for November/December 2020

I don't think many if any done the dinner dance nights during the brief reopening last December

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭aziz

It’s more like that townshend fella I don’t trust

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Penfailed

What you've described is no different from here.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I went to a gig in Belfast last night for the first time since February '20. It's not as totally restriction free up there as people are making out. I had to queue to get into the first bar I visited as they're restricting numbers inside and in the smoking area. When I got in, the place was all socially distanced with people seated at tables and no one standing. They've only just removed the table service rule but as soon as you've ordered your drink at the bar (wearing a mask), you had to go back to your seat. At the second bar, they weren't allowing anymore people in but one person (wearing a mask) could go in and order the drinks and take them back out to the outside area. Got to the gig and you could only get in if you'd shown evidence of having had the vaccine, recovered or had a negative test in the previous 24 hours. It was in a marquee and after enquiring the previous day, the only reason people weren't seated and allowed to dance was because, as some of the side panels were open, it was deemed to be outdoors. As it was sold out, I was expecting it to be rammed but they must have had a restriction on numbers as there was loads of space. It's not the utopia that some here would suggest.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Still doesn't sound too bad... Do they recognize the COVID cert you get down here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

This is a key point; if you never followed the news you would barely know there was a pandemic. Since summer 2020 when things reopened, I was back out in the office and about town in the pubs when they were open, it was then I realised that actually there was a huge gap in what the media were spouting and how ordinary people going about their daily lives were behaving. It's so obvious, and statistics would justify this behaviour, that the vast majority of people are just not really that concerned about it. But the vast majority of people don't follow the RTE/Indo/IT daily for their news. If it wasn't for the visibility of the mask wearing I don't think people would even behave like we were in a pandemic in the vast majority of scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

People have stopped pretending to be scared of the virus as well.

It looked good to pretend to care, now that bull has ended as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭User1998

They recognise our covid cert and even recognise a negative test text message from the HSE. I wasn’t actually asked for anything when I went to a gig last week, and it certainly felt more normal up there than it did here

It wasn't to bad at all. It wasn't total freedom either. If we were doing what they are currently, people would still be bitching about it in this thread though.

The recovery certificate that I have is the EU one and had no issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Maybe I`m missing something in your post, but other than RTE, (who I rarely listen too, but anytime I have lately the pandemic has been well down the list), what was different to here ?

From all the furore on here over vaccine certs and mask wearing, it doesn`t seem France was any different when it came to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Why are people so offended that others want total removal of all restrictions, and nothing less? Why is "If we were doing what they are currently, people would still be bitching about it in this thread though" considered something to mock and sneer over? What you described sounded miserable, which you implied you agreed with by using it as examples of how restricted it was, i.e. not normal.

Some people want 2019 returned and nothing else will do. I agree with that stance. It's bananas that people should be ridiculed for wanting normal life back, after 18 months of this. Not a "semblance" of normality. Normality. It's cuckoo that that is considered taboo by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Exactly. Its September 2021, businesses still have to close early, showers in gyms are still locked, fathers can't get into maternity hospitals, millions of people are still forced to cover their face, but if you push back against this you get called a whiner.

This **** isn't normal, most of it still isn't logical, and the stockholm syndrome on display from a certain cohort won't change that fact.

Then they will say "But its just another 6 weeks and it will all be gone", as if even 2 weeks of these restrictions would not have been a huge deal in the not too distant past, and as if all these will actually be gone in those 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Because in their pickled heads they believe that being unhappy with any or all restrictions means that you're some sort of anti establishment anti vax sort.

They even tie themselves up in knots trying to explain how a restriction is not actually a restriction at all.

Yep as we know things can change so fast with covid and 6 weeks is such a long time in covid terms.

thing's are on track but it takes something small for the Kites to start flying very soon 'sorry lads not yet we have to push back the reopening, not enough vaccinated/hospitals too busy etc'

When this over no doubt the mistakes NPHET/Government made will be forgotten about and they will be named the 'heros of the pandemic in Ireland'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

brother lives in Belfast and has been out few times a week since Feb, no restricitons of any sort. must be just the places he went to.

few of us from dublin going to limelight in belfast to see sasha in few weeks, no restrictions and it holds a few thousand.

meanwhile, are pubs even allowed play music here yet?!! is tha from this weekend? absolute fuckin joke

It was far from miserable. I had a great time. I want a complete return to 2019 and nothing else will do for me either but know that patience is required...which is severely lacking here.

Fingers crossed that the Sasha gig happens for you. The restrictions haven't eased enough in the north for it to happen currently. Live music and dancing indoors is still off the cards at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think most people want 2019 levels of restrictions returned, everybody I know certainly does and if we don't get that on the 22nd of October that will be a big problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Let me rephrase what I'm saying.

There is nothing disloyal or unreasonable about pressuring the government to reopen quickly.

It's like a negotiation - you apply the leverage you have. Ordinary people have (informal) power to actively influence any political issue, if the will is there.

By *refusing* to apply that pressure, and getting annoyed at people who do, that's a political signal that a drawn-out reopening is acceptable if not desirable.

• Advertisement

Posters from either side of the fence on this thread have absolutely zero influence on government policy. Zero.

We already know it won't happen. Face masks will still be required in certain situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

2019 is not what is being proposed for 22 October. In my view one of the worst mandates, masks, remain. And there is no proposal beyond October for when 2019 will be returned to us. I can’t understand how anyone can find that acceptable, or why someone should be ridiculed like what happens in this thread for believing that is unacceptable.

What pressure are you applying? Posting on this thread counts for nothing.

Influence of individual posters is a statistical zero. But in aggregate people do have influence. We are a nation of wait-ers asking nothing and trusting everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭brickster69

Get those pitch forks sharpened Red Sulurian, give em hell when you and the boards lads storm Dublin 🤣🤣🤣

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I don`t see people taking offence that some want all restrictions removed immediately. If anything those here that seem easiest offended are those that would like us all to believe we are singly the worst in the world when it comes to restrictions, where even today from just two first-hand accounts of other jurisdictions that is clearly not the reality.

I believe most people who have seen the same being said from the outset by some regarding the dropping of restrictions, without even a half credible alternative, now just look on the same old same old as just noise from a broken record from people who appeared to believe there was some automatic trip-switch that would return life to 2019 by just dropping restrictions. Especially now that restrictions have been eased, and as things stand will, other than limited restrictions on face-mask wearing, be gone in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The vulnerable vaccinated months ago, 90% of adults vaccinated, but let's wait another 6 weeks before ending this farce. Why? Because cowards hold the floor.

Advertisement