Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

So on October 22nd can we expect nightclubs to open and bars to go back to normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully but think Failte Ireland might have to give the go ahead

The sooner this 11pm last orders goes the better

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's supposed to be dropped on Oct 22

I still fully expect expect a u turn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Failte Ireland don't need to give any go ahead.

It all goes on the 22nd

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

How many times do I have to say this ?

I can see a good reason for wearing masks in areas that were at all times designated as essential services. Be they certain retail outlets, health care services or public transport. I really do not know why you are asking me what the government OR nphet have said or not said in relation to mask wearing. You have made it continually clear that you are not interested in anything either have to say on pretty much anything, let alone mask wearing.

• Advertisement

Over my head would suggest there was some logic or deep meaning to your post that I just could not comprehend. It was much too inane for that to be even a remote possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

No. Everything goes on the 22nd, except masks in certain situations.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

It would appear that quite a few people on this thread have missed the memo. All restrictions, bar mask wearing in certain situations, are supposed to be lifted on the 22nd of October. The CMO has said on a few occasions that he can't see any reason why this can't happen given the current trajectory. If some variable changes, then it will be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

I am asking because I wanted to know if you are just making up a reason or has it actually been stated officially.

It's clear now you just made up this as the reason masks will continue in shops.

The court service stayed open on as an essential service yet masks will not be mandatory and vulnerable people would and will continue to have to attend.

Pure covid theatre is ongoing wearing masks in essential and also non essential retail, that's all it is, covid theatre, nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

looks like your probably right, they havent cancelled as of yet but most other gigs have been cancelled around the same time.. fml

• Registered Users Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Genuinely from reading the last few pages it sounded like the vaccine passes had been extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The journal has reported that Donnelly will seek an extension to the powers that permit vaccine passes, but has no intention of keeping them past the 22nd of October. So nothing has changed. So we have to wait and see if this extension does go before the Dail, or if the journal jumped the gun.

Nobody needs Fáilte's approval for anything. They are not a regulatory body, they have no statutory powers.

By all accounts, the strict closing times will be abolished. There's even discussions on extending opening hours in general.

Genuinely, that was because most of the commentators hadn't actually read the reports they were basing their interpretation on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Fáilte Ireland should go back to trying to attract overseas tourism rather than restricting hospitality here and helping to send our domestic tourists abroad

Interestingly I see a few pubs aren't doing the table service anymore, first noticed it last weekend... Not complaining but was there a change to the regs recently?

At this stage I do not know if you are being deliberately obtuse or you genuinely have difficulty in comprehending what I say. Hopefully this will clear that up for you.

I wear a face mask when visiting shops, using public transport and in healthcare settings because research has shown they work. I do not do so for my own protection as I am vaccinated and not in a high risk group but because in those, especially in the case of essential services, I will possibly come in contact with those that are at high risk due to them being immunosuppressed or unable to avail of a vaccine.

There have been numerous studies that show the effectiveness of mask wearing. One by the University of California Berkley carried out from Nov. 2020 - April 2021 involving 341,126 adults in 600 villages in rural Bangladesh where Covid infections fell by 35% for those 60 and older, by 23% for those aged 50 -60, and by 12% overall from wearing face masks. I could give you many more examples, even studies that show how effective they have been during flu season but I would be just needlessly wasting my time as you believe face masks never in any way played a part in preventing the spread of Covid.

On your court services I very much doubt the courts would ignore a note from your doctor or consultant on you being a member of a high risk group due to you being immunosuppressed or unable to avail of a vaccine issuing a bench order for your arrest for non attendance.

So to summarise, the government have never said that the reason they will persist with us wearing masks in shops is to protect the vulnerable, that is just your own theory on the reason.

I'd like to see a government explanation of why they are persisting with masks in essential shops.

And also why they are persisting with masks in non essential shops.

But not in the courts.

And regarding the courts are you saying a person accused of rape or murder can just hand in a sick note to avoid being charged?

Masks in retail will be pure covid theatre, its nothing to do with the government wanting to protect vulnerable groups, who can get their food delivered or click and collect anyway.

Why do you think the government want people to wear masks in shops, buses, hospitals, etc.? Just for the craic?

My theory is that they want to relax mask wearing mandates bit-by-bit, like how they relaxed every other restriction. Say for example if you spend 6 hours working in a shop on a Saturday then head out on the beer for another 6 hours after work, you've worn a mask for half the day that you would be meeting others indoors.

Now put it into a weekly scenario, you work 30 hours a week, visit the shops for your own needs for 2-3 hours and have pints 2 nights of the week (12 hours) you've now protected yourself and others for over 2/3rds of the week, further reducing transmission rates so the shops and pubs can stay open

You will need a mask to go into the shop to buy a bottle of water before you cross the road to a 3 hour indoor gig with 13000 people where people can do whatever they want.

I honestly can see no benefit of wearing masks in shops when we will be living our lives pretty much as normal outside of that in pubs, clubs, restaurants etc.

In terms of trying to control the spread its like trying to hold back the tide with a bucket and spade tbh.

• Advertisement

Like in England where they pretty much ditched everything months ago and now they are heading into another lockdown. Oh wait.....

It's nothing like England, it's just my theory as to why we are slowly reducing mask wearing... Would you prefer they did it the other way around and kept masks in hospitality but dropped them in the shops?

I think you are missing the point... The person who goes to the indoor gig mask-less probably went to more than one shop that week, most people would spend an average of 3hrs in shops every week so actually in your scenario that person is wearing a mask 50% of the time between the indoor gig and the shops... More if that person works in a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Our shite health system is that the reason mask wearing will still be mandatory in some areas ?

Our shite health system is the reason we had to lockdown in the first place... If our health system could deal with everybody in the country catching the virus in the same week we wouldn't need to lockdown

I would not say this conversation ever bordered on the sublime but it has definitely now gone to the ridiculous with you summarising the thoughts in your own head rather than the post you are supposedly addressing.

I did not say you could avoid being charged with a serious offence by handing in a sick note to the courts. The point I was making obviously went way over your head so I will give you an example that may make it clearer for you. Gerry Hutch was recently charge with murder and is back in front of the court in two weeks time. His legal team made and application to the court for access to his legal team during those two weeks on the basis he is fully vaccinated and has passed a recent Covid test. The court granted the application. In this theoretical situation of yours do you really believe the courts would not take into consideration the situation of someone immunosuppressed or unable to avail of a vaccine.

To summarise your posts, to me you just appear to to be reaching for evermore obscure examples to back up your on held beliefs that numerous studies do not back up.

People need water. People don't need to go to gigs. Essential vs. Non-essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Italy and Britain have better health systems but that didn't prevent lockdowns.

Obviously it needs to be better than the Italian and British ones as well then doesn't it?

• Advertisement

Firstly they don't have to go to the shop, click and collect, home delivery etc.

Masks will be required in flower shops, birthday card shops etc., non essential retail.

Advertisement