Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Does anyone think it's possible for the Govt to do a U-turn on this amid the backlash? Maybe delay indoor dining til July 19 and scrap the 2 tier system?
    Well, they have from huge numbers to somewhere north of double what we've seen to date to justify it, so I'd say No. I do wonder what model they will break out in three weeks' time. Will that risk have mysteriously evaporated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I can't believe we are back here again. The last year and a bit has been incredibly tough on the majority of people within the State. The only light at the end of the tunnel was the promise of opening up once vaccines were rolled out. However once again we have been lied to by our political class.

On a personal level the last year has been one of the roughest of my life. I completed my degree from home and worked my arse off to get a Masters place in the college of my choice. Now NPHET are threatening us with colleges remaining closed in September. It's just not fair. By the end of this pandemic there's a good chance that I'll have completed two degrees working from home.

Young people have been screwed time and time again during this crisis, despite the majority adhering to the restrictions to protect the elderly and the vulnerable. The government repays us by advocating the creation of a two tier society. It's bloody disgusting.

Outside of one or two individuals (Michael McNamara for instance) this pandemic has shown our politicians to be nothing more than money hungry liars. I was so angry and upset yesterday I emailed three of my local TD's, John McGuinness, Malcolm Noonan and Kathleen Funchion. I've never done anything like that before but the sheer frustration of it all drove me to it. Surprise surprise none of them responded. Cowards one and all and I hope to **** come election time people hit them where it hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,130 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You have zero credibility on this forum and it's blatantly obvious what your game is so there's absolutely no chance I'll be engaging with your nonsense.

Have a nice day.

So an inconvenient fact has upset you and you have went straight to insults.

Okay.

Have a great day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

daheff wrote: »
    If thats how people feel, then maybe we can keep the database of people vaccinated vs not vaccinated. When hospitals fill up to capacity maybe we can then use the said database to kick those who wouldn't get a vaccine to the back of the queue for the ICU beds??

Jesus wept. the selfishness of some people to think that they don't need to be vaccinated.

Tell a 20 year old, perfectly fit, at virtually zero risk of illness, why they "need" to get vaccinated. You'll be forcing them to wear an armband next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, they have from huge numbers to somewhere north of double what we've seen to date to justify it, so I'd say No. I do wonder what model they will break out in three weeks' time. Will that risk have mysteriously evaporated?

Their modelling in two weeks time will be very interesting. Will they back down and have something more realistic or double down on the massive spread of scenarios and predict complete and utter doom. Stay tuned for more updates from Philip Nolan's magic number generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Seems like the only political resistance to it is coming from within MMs own party. The opposition support it or want further restrictions. Apart from Aontu who have tbf been against a lot the restrictions, but that's only one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,124 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

niallo27 wrote: »
    They had 45k at Wembley yesterday, do you actually belive what you are typing.

Good for them and good luck to them with that.
    The point I was making that you are failing to recognise is that their test event reopening was based on vaccination levels and the alpha variant. The delta variant stalled that and if this variant had been present back then their is every possibility that their reopening road-map would have been different.

Some seem to believe that we should just be taking the test event data from the U.K. which was based on their then variant, and applying it to the present delta variant that caused the U.K. to stall their reopening.
    Two different scenarios.
    We are doing our own test events based on the present, not that on the U.K. past predominant variant, and for me at least 8,000 in Croke Park this Saturday is encouraging in that area.
    How others view it is up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Heard a restaurant group leader on the news there at 1 o clock. Basically said they will open in the 19th regardless of what the government say. Fair play to them. Hopefully the publicans follow them..... It's probably the only way to defeat nphet

charlie14 wrote: »
    Good for them and good luck to them with that.
    The point I was making that you are failing to recognise is that their test event reopening was based on vaccination levels and the alpha variant. The delta variant stalled that and if this variant had been present back then their is every possibility that their reopening road-map would have been different.

Some seem to believe that we should just be taking the test event data from the U.K. which was based on their then variant, and applying it to the present delta variant that caused the U.K. to stall their reopening.
    Two different scenarios.
    We are doing our own test events based on the present, not that on the U.K. past predominant variant, and for me at least 8,000 in Croke Park this Saturday is encouraging in that area.
    How others view it is up to them.

While 45,000 in Wembley. :pac:

By the way, what do you think we actually learn from having 500 people in a 45,000 capacity stadium such as for the Munster hurling game between Limerick and Clare this weekend? What lessons can we possibly learn from that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

D.Q wrote: »
    Non political peaceful protest @12 on Saturday at the GPO seems to be doing the rounds in twitter. I'll definitely be there.
    You do know whats going to happen?
    "Someone" will "turn up" with a t-shirt or banner saying something about how those in RTE are really lizards from the moon who eat babies in order to look young! :rolleyes:

This will be prominent on the "news" and Irish Times readers will be frothing at the mouth with excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭MOR316

namloc1980 wrote: »
    While 45,000 in Wembley. :pac:

By the way, what do you think we actually learn from having 500 people in a 45,000 capacity stadium such as for the Munster hurling game between Limerick and Clare this weekend? What lessons can we possibly learn from that?

Especially that Iveagh Gardens embarrassment.

No data was taken from it. All a publicity stunt...A pathetic publicity stunt

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

I can't believe we are back here again. The last year and a bit has been incredibly tough on the majority of people within the State. The only light at the end of the tunnel was the promise of opening up once vaccines were rolled out. However once again we have been lied to by our political class.

On a personal level the last year has been one of the roughest of my life. I completed my degree from home and worked my arse off to get a Masters place in the college of my choice. Now NPHET are threatening us with colleges remaining closed in September. It's just not fair. By the end of this pandemic there's a good chance that I'll have completed two degrees working from home.

Young people have been screwed time and time again during this crisis, despite the majority adhering to the restrictions to protect the elderly and the vulnerable. The government repays us by advocating the creation of a two tier society. It's bloody disgusting.

Outside of one or two individuals (Michael McNamara for instance) this pandemic has show our politicians to be nothing more than money hungry liars. I was so angry and upset yesterday I emailed three of my local TD's, John McGuinness, Malcolm Noonan and Kathleen Funchion. I've never done anything like that before but the sheer frustration of it all drove me to it. Surprise surprise none of them responded. Cowards one and all and I hope to **** come election time people hit them where it hurts.

Fair play to you. More of us regular folk need to demand much much more from our elected politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

In regard to the passports (which won't happen). When do NPHET propose ending it? 3 months time, 6 months? A year?

What happens in a year's time, will restaurants/pubs start turning away people if they forgot their little card? Not a chance.

And will there be extra restrictions for those who haven't had their booster jab in 1-2 years. It's unworkable bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

The scenes in Wembley are making a mockery of this horsesh1t

Agree with this.
    Watched the game, delighted for them.
    Must be a great buzz over there now with everything going on, meanwhile back here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,124 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

timmyntc wrote: »
    Philip Nolan is that you?

The whole point of them is that they are fast, they do not have to be 100% accurate. Even if they only catch 50% of cases, thats 50% more than none.
    The fast nature of them means we can do far far more, and would be testing people who otherwise would not be tested. Its no coincidence that countries employing antigen testing have lower case numbers than us. Widespread antigen testing breaks chains of transmission.

Even Philip Nolan would be correct in pointing out that a bucket that leaks 50% of water was not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,450 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I hope to **** come election time people hit them where it hurts.

Do you think management of the pandemic will still be a burning issue come the next election? Who do you think people should vote for to "hit them where it hurts"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

VinLieger wrote: »
    Id love to go but i cannot bear to be associated with the crazies who will turn up and be the loudest garbage spewing idiots at it eg she who cannot be named

The more people that think like you the more the crazies will be associated with it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

b0nk1e wrote: »
    The vaccines are approved. Every vaccine used in Ireland is approved under an conditional use authorisation issued by the Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency on foot of authorisation by the European Medicines Agency, using the same process (but accelerated, given the nature of the emergency) as for every other medicinal product used in the EU, following the normal clinical trial process. The only difference is that the stages were carried out in parallel rather than sequentially.

If you are waiting for the United States Food and Drug Administration, and the European Defence Agency, to approve any medical product for use in the European Union, I am afraid you will be waiting for quite some time.

Why is this the case ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Outside of one or two individuals (Michael McNamara for instance) this pandemic has show our politicians to be nothing more than money hungry liars. I was so angry and upset yesterday I emailed three of my local TD's, John McGuinness, Malcolm Noonan and Kathleen Funchion. I've never done anything like that before but the sheer frustration of it all drove me to it. Surprise surprise none of them responded. Cowards one and all and I hope to **** come election time people hit them where it hurts.

Simon Harris says they'll open...He's the minister and he would want to show some backbone!
    NPHET have no right to be making those kind of decisions! Disgusting shower!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Their modelling in two weeks time will be very interesting. Will they back down and have something more realistic or double down on the massive spread of scenarios and predict complete and utter doom. Stay tuned for more updates from Philip Nolan's magic number generator.
    Logically, from their conclusions I don't see that they can adjust it by much, unless the numbers of vaccinated has a miraculously huge effect on it. It really has the look of a Trojan Horse to get that digital pass thing into domestic use. All of this modelling has repercussions for everything from now on, not just dining.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

So we lockdown initially to protect the elderly and vulnerable, now the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated and they get to live the high life indoors while the ones to sacrificed everything in order to protect them have to sit outside like the great unwashed in case it spreads to who exactly? In what world does that make any sense. Riddle me that

And restaurants etc could allow us indoors, at various times, last year, when nobody was vaccinated.

This is beyond crazy, what has happened. :mad:
    NPHET must be in government now, I don't remember voting for any of them strangely enough.

And the ****ing hse ads on the radio, that's the line we were being fed in March 2020. Jesus wept.

Even Philip Nolan would be correct in pointing out that a bucket that leaks 50% of water was not fit for purpose.

He's one of the only public health officials in Europe who not only is against antigen tests, but thinks they are in fact "snake oil". Why is Philip right and everyone else is wrong?

Boggles wrote: »
    So an inconvenient fact has upset you and you have went straight to insults.

Okay.

Have a great day too.

Clear off good man, nobody wants to read your trash anymore

gozunda wrote: »
    Atm we have temporary restrictions. They are not permanent.

Tomorrow we will enter the eighth month of the two weeks of restrictions.

So testing used all around Europe, recommended by some of the best medical professionals in the world, that has reduced case numbers and allowed people to live their lives relatively normal, are not fit for purpose because Philip Nolan, a lecturer in Maynooth, a guy who is not qualified to create these models and whose models have been wrong on many occasions, says so?

OK...

I'd have guessed it was something to do with his colleague Cillian De Gascun but, yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭timmyntc

A bucket that leaks 50% of water vs no bucket at all

I think I'd choose the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

MOR316 wrote: »
    Simon Harris says they'll open...He's the minister and he would want to show some backbone!
    NPHET have no right to be making those kind of decisions! Disgusting shower!

I really hope they do but at this stage I haven't much hope.

In regard to the passports (which won't happen). When do NPHET propose ending it? 3 months time, 6 months? A year?

What happens in a year's time, will restaurants/pubs start turning away people if they forgot their little card? Not a chance.

And will there be extra restrictions for those who haven't had their booster jab in 1-2 years. It's unworkable bollox

& I presume people from other jurisdictions (such as Northern Ireland) would be exempt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

RTE have a cheerleader on now from England saying NHPET are correct.

Nice bit of propaganda.

Advertisement