Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

showpony1 wrote: »
    The week before the indoor pubs meant to open they announce that in order to enter a pub a proof of vaccination system they haven't even started to develop yet must be one of the most historic shifting of goalposts of all time.

This country has been gaslighted to the nth degree, it is astounding that the people of Ireland have sat quietly and done nothing while they are being treated like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

gozunda wrote: »
    Well yes a lot of restrictions are already gone. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with certain ones - do you really expect there to be no restrictions at all atm?

We have less freedom and more restriction then we had 365 ago with 4m vaccines administered

Did you really expect that a year ago?

Boggles wrote: »
    So an inconvenient fact has upset you and you have went straight to insults.

Okay.

Have a great day too.

I couldn't give a flying fück about your fact, but you've spent over a year drumming up tens of thousands of mainly sh1tposts in here, among them the most disingenuous posting I've seen on Boards in my time on the site. The situation we end up in now, you've been sneering anyone who opined such a situation could happen and labelled them as conspiracy theorists or loons just for fun, somehow escaping moderation all along the way. You are a disgrace to debate and as the other poster said, have zero credibility in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭1992ChainGang

Heard Michael on the news there saying he's open to alternatives... first signs of backtracking hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I think we all know that nothing will change.
    If we were more French then maybe, but not a chance will anything be done.
    They will weather this easily and the next time and the time after that.
    Twats the lot of them

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Why is this the case ?

Because the United States Food and Drug Administration is the organisation responsible for drug safety in the United States, not in Europe.

And the European Defence Agency is in charge of guns and rockets.

The person I was replying to was a classic example of someone whose sum total of knowledge about vaccine development and drug regulation has been gained in the last fifteen months, from Facebook.

Vaccines are safe and save lives. No corners were cut in their development nor in their approval for emergency use.

Not that it matters, now. Tony Holohan has just completely undermined the entire vaccination programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

TomSweeney wrote: »
    And the problem is, even if indoor dining comes back in September, then we are heading into autumn and traditional flu season, so I can't see it staying open for long - if it opens at all.

shambles.

Indeed - members of the French and Polish governments were both saying today we should expect a winter surge and a return to lockdowns.

If this does happen, Ireland will be the only EU country without a 'meaningful' summer before it dutifully shuts down outside hospitality again, and reimposes its 5km rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Sadly it doesn't seem to have done anything. Very easy to see how people become apathetic towards politics.

Nothing like how apathetic Politicians have been towards the Public Health Service.

2009 HSE report calls for 579 ICU beds by 2020 at the latest.

Pandemic arrives in 2020 and we have c.280 ICU beds.

Pandemic celebrates 1st Birthday and ICU capacity is c.280 beds.

This entire thing has degenerated into a gigantic exercise in Pig Feeding,with the only requirement being enough troughs for the great & good to stick their snouts into.

None of these "experts" are for turning,such is the hyper inflation of their own self-regard.

Both NPHET and current cabinet are now unfit for purpose,all that remains is for some method to be found to remove BOTH of them ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Norma Foley was bullsh!tting on the radio earlier.

She was on about getting schools back in September.

If that’s the case, we won’t be seeing indoors before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Heard Michael on the news there saying he's open to alternatives... first signs of backtracking hopefully

1) disband nphet.
    2) open an immediate inquiry
    3) drag that clown in front a tribunal and have him explain every single model he has presented
    4) publicly apologise to the nation
    5) open everything ta **** and let us live our lives. If someone wants to wear a masks indoors and out then let them but let those that don't want to and/or are fully vaccinated to get on with it.

How's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Indeed - members of the French and Polish governments were both saying today we should expect a winter surge and a return to lockdowns.

If this does happen, Ireland will be the only EU country without a 'meaningful' summer before it dutifully shuts down outside hospitality again, and reimposes its 5km rule.

I hope that the EU and it's member states can come up with another half a trilliion €uro to pay for more winter lockdowns... or maybe just learn that Lockdowns don't work, you're only keeping the tinder dry until the fire reaches it again... besides... most Europeans will be vaccinated/Immune by the Winter 2021..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If all these things came as such a last minute shock to government, it really does beg the question what the hell have they been doing all year?? Where are all the contingency plans they surely should have been planning?

They clearly thought this would all blow over with vaccines and summer arriving, but now must be sh*tting themselves they’re about to be found out for the useless, incompetent, short-sighted fools they are.

I’ve emailed my TDs (2x cabinet ministers included) today expressing my disgust, not that I expect to hear back. They’ll never get a vote from me or my family again however.

It wasn't government policy until NPHET made it so. You can't plan for that and they rejected the use of it domestically months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Hooked

Nothing like how apathetic Politicians have been towards the Public Health Service.

2009 HSE report calls for 579 ICU beds by 2020 at the latest.

Pandemic arrives in 2020 and we have c.280 ICU beds.

Pandemic celebrates 1st Birthday and ICU capacity is c.280 beds.

This entire thing has degenerated into a gigantic exercise in Pig Feeding,with the only requirement being enough troughs for the great & good to stick their snouts into.

None of these "experts" are for turning,such is the hyper inflation of their own self-regard.

Both NPHET and current cabinet are now unfit for purpose,all that remains is for some method to be found to remove BOTH of them ?

VERY WELL SAID!!! I'm beyond angry today...

1. Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

namloc1980 wrote: »
      Their modelling in two weeks time will be very interesting. Will they back down and have something more realistic or double down on the massive spread of scenarios and predict complete and utter doom. Stay tuned for more updates from Philip Nolan's magic number generator.

They have that covered already

Slow growth in July then takes off in August and September

"It is noteworthy across all scenarios that case counts rise very slowly during July 2021. However, the seeds of future growth are sown at this time, and case counts increase exponentially through August 2021 until a combination of vaccine-induced and infection-induced immunity slows growth through September and October 2021."

2. Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

If that ever happens again, I'm leaving the country permanently.

Hey, maybe that's a good idea for decrease housing prices though. Make it unbearable to live here, people leave. Housing supply increases.

3. Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

bear1 wrote: »
      1) disband nphet.
      2) open an immediate inquiry
      3) drag that clown in front a tribunal and have him explain every single model he has presented
      4) publicly apologise to the nation
      5) open everything ta **** and let us live our lives. If someone wants to wear a masks indoors and out then let them but let those that don't want to and/or are fully vaccinated to get on with it.

How's that?

I just want to see NPHET go. They've lost the trust of so many people now.

4. Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Was that just an answer to a question?

5. Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

The level of horrible posts to some just because they have a different view is unreal.

6. Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Poland's problem is the public not wanting the vaccine so they base this on that.

7. Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

SAMTALK wrote: »
      The level of horrible posts to some just because they have a different view is unreal.

Welcome to Boards.ie

8. Advertisement
    9. Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

We have less freedom and more restriction then we had 365 ago with 4m vaccines administered
      Did you really expect that a year ago?

Well I guess no one can fortell the future tbf. And yeah Covid and restrictions suck.

Eitherway it doesn't negate that the restrictions are temporary. And not signing up the CT bs that all restrictions are permanent or whatever.

10. Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭1992ChainGang

is_that_so wrote: »
      Was that just an answer to a question?
      It was, he mentioned if places can guarantee good ventilation and introduce testing it could be an alternative.

The level of backlash i just cant see them going ahead with their current plans, they couldnt even answer straight questions on the matter this morning.

11. Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

NPHET could be disbanded today by Donnelly if he so chose, but you'll have to wait till 2023 at least for the latter.

12. Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was, he mentioned if places can guarantee good ventilation and introduce testing it could be an alternative.

The level of backlash i just cant see them going ahead with their current plans, they couldnt even answer straight questions on the matter this morning.
      It's the discriminatory nature of it that is really annoying people and one would say that they just rolled over, based on some fairy tale numbers.

13. Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The emails and phone calls must be kicking in, he's getting worried. Come on people make some noise.

14. Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I couldn't give a flying fück about your fact, but you've spent over a year drumming up tens of thousands of mainly sh1tposts in here, among them the most disingenuous posting I've seen on Boards in my time on the site. The situation we end up in now, you've been sneering anyone who opined such a situation could happen and labelled them as conspiracy theorists or loons just for fun, somehow escaping moderation all along the way. You are a disgrace to debate and as the other poster said, have zero credibility in this thread.

Easy for you to say Stu - being immune to the superflu and all :D

15. Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

The call to disband NPHET is a bit ridiculous. Whether we like it or not, there is still a global pandemic going on.

What does need to happen however is their scope needs to change and be tightened. They need to be forbidden from doing interviews (I would be sacked if I did an interview or made any comment to the press in my job), they need to have more transparency in their decision making process (peer reviews, publication of data through proper channels) and most of all, their leadership needs to change. It is obvious that there are major issues between Tony et al and the members of Cabinet

16. Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

pc7 wrote: »
      The emails and phone calls must be kicking in, he's getting worried. Come on people make some noise.

Honestly this is the only way. Tell your family and friends to do the same if they're opposed to what's going on too. It's the only way we'll get control back from NPHET.

17. Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Are ye following email templates or going straight from the heart? I would email but I'm shíte at articulating my thoughts, and I can't fill a few paragraphs of "arrrrrgggghhh" :pac:

18. Advertisement
    19. Posts: 220 [Deleted User]

The call to disband NPHET is a bit ridiculous. Whether we like it or not, there is still a global pandemic going on.

What does need to happen however is their scope needs to change and be tightened. They need to be forbidden from doing interviews (I would be sacked if I did an interview or made any comment to the press in my job), they need to have more transparency in their decision making process (peer reviews, publication of data through proper channels) and most of all, their leadership needs to change. It is obvious that there are major issues between Tony et al and the members of Cabinet

Five steps to reforming NPHET:

1. You can be a media star or an NPHET member, not both.
      2. No more than one NPHET member from the same organisation (there are currently 24 members who work in just two offices).
      3. Nobody may serve on NPHET for more than three months at a time.
      4. NPHET members' salaries suspended during any period in which they advise any sector of the economy to be banned.
      5. NPHET meetings to be recorded and made publicly available. No more sneaking back from leave to undermine the elected government.

Advertisement