Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I want to see if this all goes to hell, will those posters that screamed everything will be back to normal on the 22nd come back and say they were wrong?

Somehow, I doubt that.

It's hard to ignore. Ads on TV and the radio every day. Covid being pushed by RTÉ in their programmes (characters wearing masks, for example), 'FAN SLÁN / STAY SAFE' permanently on the screen. And even if a person tries to avoid it all, family members might tell them about it, or family members might switch on RTÉ while the person is in the room. The only real way to avoid it is to go without a telly, the internet and the radio.

I've always been more afraid of the media than covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Because sticking your fingers into your ears and loudly screeching “na na na not listening not listening” like a bold child

will have precisely the square root of f all effect on covid

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Apologies, I meant to say in ICU, I don't believe there's any data on actual percentages on hospitalised fully vaccinated

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

Where did I say it would have any effect on Covid?

It will, however, have a positive effect on someone who feels they are being beaten into submission.

• Advertisement

I honestly don't know and you raise a good point and this along with other reasons causes me to be perplexed as to what is going on. Again, I'm just trying to figure it out, making suggestions but I certainly don't have the answer. I do however believe this focus on the 300K being blamed a bit of a stretch given as I believe a large proportion can't actually get vacinated and you'd have to think this cohort being exceptionally cautious.

Just heard there's an additional 75k who have only one Dose on top of the 300k, curious to know why one dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why would you want it to "go to hell"? That's a tad sociopathic.

It is the Internet, where people express opinions and ideas, sometimes very robustly and where people want to be right all the time! A bit like this post really! 

I agree and as I drove this morning I counted 3 consecutive ads about free flu shots and staying safe..Boots, another chemist and the HSE..3 in a row!! and that was sunshine radio not even RTE. It;s not just turning off the news who I might add contstandly beat on about mental health while actively contributing to it;s demise in people struggling. Have a long look at that new Succession drama, that's the type of people you're dealing with in the likes of RTE and newstalk. It's like that line in good fellas, The people that come to do you most harm, come as your friends, or words to that affect.

How about you read the start of my post again.. slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Of course they won't, they didn't last time.

What will happen is that if restrictions continue past the 22nd or are reapplied over the winter, those self same posters will calmly pivot and start to explain why this was always going to happen, that there aren't really any restrictions affecting people anyway and that they don't see what the problem is. Its not gaslighting, just the new normal.

But no matter, this is all moot because they have been very, very clear that all restrictions go on the 22nd and there will be no further restrictions to protect the health service over the winter. They have been very clear on that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

My only hope is that this is being tee'd up as MM's moment to defy NPHET and look strong. He's only in the job until June. If we don't do it now, we'll be stuck under restrictions until at least February. Nearly his entire reign under restrictions. When a large bulk of that, we didn't need any.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I read it and it's a gripe about people telling you you are wrong and that you are keen for retribution of some shape. Again why would you reference it going to hell, even hypothetically?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

They wont, they will be back to say case numbers have got too high and that we need to be cautious at this point in time and listen to the science. Point out how bad the situation in Burkina Faso is and we should look to them to see what could become of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ozvaldo

I wrote IF.. that means it's conditional. I don't want any retribution, I want to be wrong even. Why would I reference it? Because I believe it will go to hell.

Nah, most around here have been wrong so many times now we just greet the latest one with a shrug. What this thing has done to opinions though is to make people a little bit less precious about them and to try to back them up. The problem for some posters is that they are wedded to single positions and that just makes them think that others have it in for them.

Posted on the other thred but applies equally here.

We have 69 in ICU. 69% of whom are not vaccinated - 47 to 22. Now given 92% of the adult population are vaccinated, given the relative risk, with no vaccine you would expect us to currently have 587 people in ICU. And that is ignoring that the rate of vaccination is even higher among those most vulnerable. At peak in January we had 218 in ICU. The peak daily cases associated with the 218 peak was 6,500 in a population with no vaccine. To have 587 in ICU you would need the equivalent of 17,000 cases every day - eg. without the vaccine we would expect an additional 15,000 people to have been detected with availability of testing. Obviously this comes with assumptions and a margin of error, however it is clear, to have resulted in the relative ICU numbers we have now in vaccinated v unvaccinated, the vaccine has both significantly reduced both prevalence and severity by a huge amount.

We are slap bang in the middle of a huge wave, and you know, things are generally ok, because of the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

As frustrating as the kite-flying, the leaks, and POTENTIAL delay in relaxing the restrictions is, it's the attitude of a cohort of posters on here, who seem to be less concerned with the actual restrictions and more concerned with winning some imaginary internet battle with other posters, that is most frustrating. It's pathetic and sad. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on here, some air their views more vocally than others, fair enough, call them out and move on. But it's clear to me from following this thread for the last 6 months or so, that there are some posters on here who wouldn't mind a continuation of restrictions so that they can gleefully proclaim "I told ye so".

BTW, before you or one of your acolytes accuse me, I'm not one of those posters who claimed everything would be back to normal on the 22nd. Being an optimist, I just hoped that it would. FWIW, I still believe we are on track and don't subscribe to some of the more insane views that not only will we keep current restrictions, but that we will be returning to lockdown. Anyway, this thread will be an interesting place to dip in and out of over the next few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

As one of the people who was saying (not screaming) that the 22nd would happen I'd be more than happy to say I was wrong if it turns out that I was, and honestly it's looking likely I will be saying it at some point next week

Mind you, if it turns out we were right before would the posters from the other side admit they were wrong? I think not

I think there will be mass protests about it as well

• Advertisement

Like I said, I'd gladly like to be wrong and if I am then I shall admit it.

They will open up with continued face masks on transport, in shops and in health settings and maybe a few other situations.

Yesterday the head of hospitality said they would keep vaccine cert checks for winter "if that's it takes"..he volunteered it up prior to it being retained, that's how bad things are. This will remain, so for the winter at least it will be Vaccine certs required to eat or drink in out of the cold and rain or even snow in addition to everything else.

If you're a politicians child though, you can go in and have your meal because the killer virus has no beef wit you, just those pesky anti-vaxers that are killing the economy and the grandparents..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭brickster69

The hospital situation is without doubt the main reason. If all restrictions end then obviously everything will start going up more and then they have to act again to prevent the hospital problem again. Restrictions were to prevent health services being overwhelmed in all countries but Ireland never thought about increasing them just in case they would be needed.

Apart from that, things don't look too bad to me. Just need to play it day by day ATM unfortunately.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s pretty depressing to see we have a higher rate here than many EU countries who had less restrictions :/

Personally I agree re hospital dysfunctionality, its quite shocking , I brought someone to A&E yesterday, Midlands hospital and my god, I'd never seen such utter chaos, genuine emergency, broken limb , if this is what it's like now, week 2 in October, I dread what's coming down the track.

I've not called or discussed moving restrictions but I do get your point 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Please. You have repeatedly pissed all over anybody who questioned if the 22nd was actually legitimate. Remember this...

"I can't believe we're even discussing this. Is there that much mental scarring, that throwaway comments, worst-case contingency plans, etc. are being used (again by the same few on here) as evidence of further lockdowns?"

Not an isolated comment, you and others sneer and jibe constantly at people who try to make logical points. But no matter, it all ends on the 22nd, right?

And look at what she's saying:

"Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Prof Loscher said these mitigating risk factors should include maintaining the need for Covid-19 vaccination certs for indoor activities, along with a continued focus on mask wearing and hand sanitising."

She's not actually calling for the lifting of restrictions as planned. She's calling for the maintaining of a restriction, i.e. the vaccine passport.

Why did the interviewer not ask Professor Loscher why Denmark, with fewer people vaccinated at the time, were able to scrap all restrictions? Sweden and Norway the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I didn't see any posters screaming about anything.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement