Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Bsharp wrote: »
    I wish to express my dissatisfaction with you, and your party, for the quality of governance being provided.

My faith in Nphet being able to consider potential future scenarios that are within reasonable parameters is lost. Potential for over 700,000 cases and 2,000 deaths in 3 months from where we are now; inexplicable. Think of the sizes of towns and villages in Ireland to facilitate this level of transmission when vaccination, those with covid already, population dispersion and other restrictions such as WFH are in place. It doesn't stack up.

In addition, watching government kite flying, spin and mismanagement over the last several days means I've also lost faith in the government's ability to effectively guide us out of this in a sustainable way.

The fact that no alternatives had even been considered, and you're at the mercy of last minute decisions by NPHET, demonstrates how poorly you, as part of the government, is serving the public.

You can use that if you want

Okay I emailed.. I used your initial template but blew it up.. now there are a few paragraphs of me ranting :pac:

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Please let this be the start of these ****ing idiots back peddling their way out of this. Almost makes it sound like the "pause" was part of a carefully laid plan :lol:

https://www.thejournal.ie/hospitality-antigen-testing-5481608-Jun2021/

"OTHER MEASURES SUCH as antigen testing and ventilation will be looked at by government in a bid to get indoor hospitality reopened.

They pointed out that government is deviating from NPHET advice when it comes to international travel and it can do so again on antigen testing.

The pause for a few weeks is being seen as an appropriate time for the government to assess how thins pan out in Scotland and Britain when it comes to the Delta variant"

Furthermore, the NPHET conferences have to stop.

Michael Martin should actually be a leader, for once, and overrule NPHET and come up with more creative solutions.

But having concurrent NPHET conferences will only serve to air Holohan's grievances. He can advise government, but that can be kept behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

GPoint wrote: »
    That's an easy one, they will see dark clouds of vaccine resistant variant on the horizon.

Also don't forget that vaccines will not provide lifetime immunity, there was already talk about boosters so that will also be counted in.

So basically this will never end ....

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Okay I emailed.. I used your initial template but blew it up.. now there are a few paragraphs of me ranting :pac:

If the govt are wobbly enough to be talking publically about allowing evil antigen tests to let us into evil pubs to go mad on the demon drink they must be really spooked.

I suggest everyone reading this thread email your TDs . If we don't apply pressure with the threat of losing voters then Tony will just apply the electrodes to MM's wotzits again to remind him whose the real boss, MM wil cave and we will be back to where we started.

Likewise, emailed my local representative just now.

I added to that statement, too, arguing that the three major parties are heading for electoral oblivion if they continue this irrational, supine prostration to the NPHET organism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Martin, Varadkar and Donnelly are equal parts hopelessly inept and stupid.

The conversation about antigen testing should have gone something like this:

Tony: "I don't think we should use antigen testing because <insert ridiculous reason>
    MVD: "Why not Tony, lots of other countries are using them, why cant we?"
    Tony: "<insert ridiculous reason>"
    MVD: "Listen Tony, we're implementing antigen testing whether you like it or not because, guess what, your the Chief Medical Officer. We, on the other hand, are leading the country you report to us. So we've heard what you had to say and we're going to go against your advice. Grab your coat on the way out"

Tony leaves the room...

MVD: "Fúcking idiot..."

Was able to get MM, Michael McGrath and Simon Coveney. Cork South Central. They got a strongly worded email.

Keyzer wrote: »

Tony: "I don't think we should use antigen testing because <insert ridiculous reason>
    MVD: "Listen Tony, we're implementing antigen testing whether you like it or not because, guess what, your the Chief Medical Officer. We, on the other hand, are leading the country you report to us. So we've heard what you had to say and we're going to go against your advice. Grab your coat on the way out"

Tony leaves the room...

MVD: "Fúcking idiot..."

Instead it probably went like this:

Ballynally wrote: »
    That's it. Im going back to Holland asap and have my chips and mayo in my favourite pub in the Jordaan w me dutch mates.
    Oh, btw, mr Royale. In Holland there are basically 5 options to go w chips: 1 mayo, 2 ketchup, 3 mayo+ketchup, 4, mayo, ketchup and onions (speciaal),5 mayo and peanut sauce (oorlog/war). Delicious!

Same here, cant wait to go back. For me its De Pijp, cant wait to eat my way up and down the market.

oh to travel again...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Five steps to reforming NPHET:

1. You can be a media star or an NPHET member, not both.
    2. No more than one NPHET member from the same organisation (there are currently 24 members who work in just two offices).
    3. Nobody may serve on NPHET for more than three months at a time.
    4. NPHET members' salaries suspended during any period in which they advise any sector of the economy to be banned.
    5. NPHET meetings to be recorded and made publicly available. No more sneaking back from leave to undermine the elected government.

Well ok though I'd suggest we simply get rid of them all and replace them with a number of well informed experts from boards ;)

But anyway I don't know about recorded but the minutes of the meetings are already publicly available online. Here you go

https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/691330-national-public-health-emergency-team-covid-19-coronavirus/

• Advertisement

"Good afternoon ****,

I wish to acknowledge your email to Minister Simon Coveney T.D regarding the restrictions for indoor dining, announced yesterday, and housing. The Minister has asked me to confirm that he has noted your genuine concerns here and will, of course, relay same to his Cabinet colleagues for consideration.

Kind regards,
    Catherine

Catherine O’Donoghue

Office of Simon Coveney T.D
    Minister for Foreign Affairs & Minister for Defence"

Hooray for not getting an automated response!

EDIT: Although it may have been automated as I didn't say anything about housing :pac:

Rumour is circulating on social media that Tony is open to indoor hospitality opening, on the modest condition that all pub/bar TVs permanently display the image of him being presented with the Freedom of Dublin Award.

00172714-1600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But do you feel better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Boggles wrote: »
    You better inform those 60 odd countries so.

You may need to explain how you know better though.

Like I posted earlier. UK is monitoring delta since February and both the data and their roadmap appear to indicate that the threat is negligible.

is_that_so wrote: »
    But do you feel better?

I do!

"Hit the pillow"

PoliteWellinformedAnnelida-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Keyzer wrote: »

MVD: "Oh and Tony, the next time you or any of your lackeys leak anything to the press we're going to break your legs - you've been warned"

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

I started to try and re-model the 700k figure in 3 months - I heard someone on the radio (might have been Sam McConkey, but not 100% sure) say that the basis was a doubling every 10 days of Delta cases as that was observed once in some part of the UK. So I started there. Then I finished, because that's all they seem to have done.

Once they publish the list of assumptions I'm expecting it will be very short. It's completely outlandish to say cases will double every 10 days for 3 months and nothing will change! Clearly that's not going to happen! Takes no account of vaccinated people, takes no account of seasonality, takes no account that during those 3 months more people will get vaccinated, takes no account of the fact that even if we started to see doubling every 10 days, behaviour would very quickly adopt in the population.

I'm so disgusted that analysis like that even got presented. If that happened in the private sector you'd never get to present analysis again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I also sent an email to my TDs. Have never in my life felt the need to contact a public rep until this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,450 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Was able to get MM, Michael McGrath and Simon Coveney. Cork South Central. They got a strongly worded email.

I wonder how they've TAKEN that...
    63903839.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭Quags

Jim O'Callaghan got back to me

"The letter from the NPHET seems to suggest that over the next three months we could see 682,000 cases of Covid with 2170 deaths and nearly 13,000 hospital admissions. I find such a prediction hard to believe.

Also, I note that in the UK the Delta variant is not at present resulting in significantly increased hospitalisations. In Scotland there were 3000 cases yesterday but the health minister has decided that they do not need to re-impose restrictions because the link between cases and hospitalisations has been dramatically altered."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Indo has a story saying MM rang Nicola Sturgeon about Delta.

“I spoke (on Tuesday) with Nicola Sturgeon First Minister of Scotland and she used a very telling phrase. She said Delta will rip through an unvaccinated population." -MM

Sturgeon has Zero medical background. My 15 year old springer spaniel would know as much about epidemiological forecasting. She is a serious hardliner, not surprised she got a call.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Thanks to HellR for a list of all TDs etc for people to email, it is the only to get their attention at this point.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117491157&postcount=2019

They say "rip through the population" as if it were a bad thing.

It's exactly what you want to happen, in a controlled manner, as the vast majority of people are vaccinated and only the younger cohorts remain -- who, if we are honest, largely come out unscathed.

I started to try and re-model the 700k figure in 3 months - I heard someone on the radio (might have been Sam McConkey, but not 100% sure) say that the basis was a doubling every 10 days of Delta cases as that was observed once in some part of the UK. So I started there. Then I finished, because that's all they seem to have done.

Once they publish the list of assumptions I'm expecting it will be very short. It's completely outlandish to say cases will double every 10 days for 3 months and nothing will change! Clearly that's not going to happen! Takes no account of vaccinated people, takes no account of seasonality, takes no account that during those 3 months more people will get vaccinated, takes no account of the fact that even if we started to see doubling every 10 days, behaviour would very quickly adopt in the population.

I'm so disgusted that analysis like that even got presented. If that happened in the private sector you'd never get to present analysis again.

Its like something an intern produced that they should've been sent back to the drawing board with, not presented to the Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Multipass wrote: »
    To make the vaccinated vulnerable feel safer whilst they’re out doing all the more risky fun stuff in life. Happy for the young at no risk to have their freedom curtailed.
    This has shown what a generation of utterly selfish, me feiners the Irish over 50s are.

You could equally say that if so many utterly selfish young me feiners weren't ignoring restrictions all along and contributing massively to the spread of covid, we wouldn't be in this situation. Oh, what a massively selfish generation the under 30s are.

Or you could not make massive sweeping divisive generalisations and direct your anger at the real enemy, which disturbingly is the Irish government and the unelected muppets they appointed and now hide behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Eamonn with the mask "life hacks" :pac:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1410170202852057093

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Eamonn with the mask "life hacks" :pac:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1410170202852057093

If you look up Muppet in the dictionary I am sure his face would show :pac: sweet suffering baby Jebus he is a plonker.

They say "rip through the population" as if it were a bad thing.

It's exactly what you want to happen, in a controlled manner, as the vast majority of people are vaccinated and only the younger cohorts remain -- who, if we are honest, largely come out unscathed.

Its the quickest root for young people to get to the pub too, if they go ahead with the apartheid of "vaccinated or recovered only".

Their stupid little idea actually incentives young people to mix in the hope of testing positive and getting their freedom back quicker.

And thats something I believe they'd do before putting butter on their antigen tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

pc7 wrote: »
    Thanks to HellR for a list of all TDs etc for people to email, it is the only to get their attention at this point.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117491157&postcount=2019

I seen someone mention a template, can someone send it on to me please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭Quags

Vicxas wrote: »
    I seen someone mention a template, can someone send it on to me please

I used this;

Dear All,

I wish to express my dissatisfaction with you, and your party, for the quality of governance being provided.

My faith in Nphet being able to consider potential future scenarios that are within reasonable parameters is lost. Potential for over 700,000 cases and 2,000 deaths in 3 months from where we are now; inexplicable. Think of the sizes of towns and villages in Ireland to facilitate this level of transmission when vaccination, those with covid already, population dispersion and other restrictions such as WFH are in place. It doesn't stack up.

In addition, watching government kite flying, spin and mismanagement over the last several days means I've also lost faith in the government's ability to effectively guide us out of this in a sustainable way.

The fact that no alternatives had even been considered, and you're at the mercy of last minute decisions by NPHET, demonstrates how poorly you, as part of the government, are serving the public.

Regards

Advertisement