Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm alright Jack is always a good foundation for public policy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Odds on there being a major leak tonight to RTE News?

Interesting the way Holohan took time off just before NPHET were due to be disbanded. You'd think he would have held off until, I dunno, the 22nd of October...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The week in politics just starting , Heather Humphries ( might require subtitles) Aodhán Ó Ríordáin, (looking grumpy) & Martin Kenny SF , (Looking perplexed)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

But whatever way we turn them your chances are better with the vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

I knew that would be said and you have every right to say that because it’s true but the alternative is nothing reopens . It wouldn’t be what I would do at all but it’s clear that’s the only way they will reopen .

• Advertisement

Why would the alternative be that nothing reopens?

That's a false premise to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I see a lot of figures posted by people showing that if you look at recent months rather than back to April, that deaths are far higher among vaccinated than they are among the unvaccinated. Which makes common sense, the vulnerable are far more likely to have gotten themselves a vaccination than not.

But ok, its a reason at least, the goal is to encourage vaccination.

But is that not a bit of a redundant goal considering the class leading levels of vaccination in Ireland already? And more to the point, is that an important enough goal for the government to renege on its previous promises and show itself to be untrustworthy?

I'm not asking what people think, I am asking for clear and simple statements of what covid certs are supposed to achieve.

If we don't know what they are supposed to achieve, how can we know if they are necessary at all, or know when they are no longer needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

Well it shouldn’t be but it’s fairly apparent that the government will only consider reopening with the certs . The chances they choose to reopen fully with no certs required is practically zero. I don’t agree with that but they are only giving 2 choices here . No reopening or reopening with the certs . It’s **** but I favour the second option over the first option . Ideally I would rather neither but they won’t offer the option that is the ideal scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Certs nor vaccinations are going to prevent a massive spike in cases during winter. It is probable that certs are increasing spread in fact. The only option to prevent it is level 5 lockdowns, which they wont do. Mandating certs is like shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic, at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Tony is going to do his grand "look at me" thing again possibly as early as tonight and tomorrow. Don't forget for a second what he did last year, we went from NPHET and Ronan Glynn saying on the Thursday we were doing ok with Level 2+ to full Level 5 lockdown on the Sunday night.

Its up to Micheal Martin to put him back in his box. How likely is that?

But why? Why will they only consider reopening with the certs?

They know people will ignore them, they know certs don't completely stop transmission and they know the vast, vast majority have the certs anyway without any need for requirement.

It doesn't make any sense and people are being far too blase about skipping over this question and just accepting it as something necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

You're on a forum for Covid criticising someone watching a general politics program that 100s k watch...

Your quite an extraordinary individual and not in a good way, I've told you before I won't be baited, however can I refer you to forum charters. Focus on the Topic, not on posters , your behaviour not only tiresome but offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tony could be thinking that way and the only option will be 'full level 5 lockdown for the rest of the year'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There was no meeting planned until tomorrow since the last set of easing so why wouldn't he? He has a young family too and doesn't live hanging upside down in a cave!

Thank you, this individual seems addicted to posters contributions and has nothing constructive to offer, they spent most of yesterday trying and abjectly failing to twist what I said.

Disgraceful behaviour filled with insults and snide remarks

Most people don't care about such things once they believe themselves to be inside the tent. That's reality. People will go along with any amount of bullsh*t policies as long as they only impact "others".

Same people will all be front and centre with every other popular equality campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

In your opinion of course.

You were spouting waffle yesterday like closed hospitality businesses should have retained staff instead of them going on pup.

How was a closed business supposed to keep paying staff?

You then decided to call Adrian Cummins a "Well known clown"

Perfectly OK for you to throw out the snide remarks of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I see Cillian De Gascun is confirming what the Conspiracy Theorists have been saying for weeks already. I know many people have been banned from SM for saying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭giveitholly

If this is true then why the need for vaccine certs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The reopening on Friday needs to go ahead as planned or we'll never get out of this. We've done our bit to protect the health service and now it's time for the health service to protect us.

In my opinion they should also announce a ban on disseminating covid case numbers in the mainstream media. If you want to access them they're available on the covid website or whatever it's called. Constantly having them on every news and radio station front and centre has caused untold damage to people's mental health.

Just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They've been banned for claiming don't work, they do. They still stop a lot of serious illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Don't worry, the CT'rs haven't been right about this. These numbers were known about months ago and Cillian is a bit of a sh*t for posting it the way he has. The vaxxed are less likely to have a high viral load (but it can be equal when they do) and clear the viral load faster (which would also reduce the window in which the virus can transmit). As the person is vaxxed, the high viral load is dealt with effectively by the immune system (underlying conditions not withstanding).

Amazing how these lads start getting so noisy each and every time a milestone is approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And some people are still so naive not to see it

Amazing how they can give a suspiciously lengthy 2 months lead time to a reopening date, and yet just days before that date still nobody has any certainty about what will actually happen.

And people defend this horseshit.

So before I put you on my ignore list, let's examine your absurd comment re my covid addiction.

I see you your reasonably new to boards (August) assuming you don't have other user names, accounts .

You've not started any discussions but oddly, strangely, intriguingly EVERY SINGLE POST you've made is Covid related, curious that and you have the gall & neck to say I'm addicted to covid 🤣

Not that I have to justify my contributions on Boards with you or anyone, I like most have an interest in we're we are re Covid, interested in the Politics of it and more importantly interested in the pathway forward.

In relation to the Hospitality sector comments your cleary obsessed with, I spent 28 years in this sector, I speak from experience. I spoke absolutely no waffle, invited you to look back on not just the comments but the actual podcast were quite outrageous comments were made, perhaps you've a connection with Adrian Cummins, I don't know but I'm entitled to comment, have an opinion and will either defend it or indeed apologise if I'm proven incorrect.

Over 10 years on Boards, I've always found the measure of a poster on how they interact, you've failed miserably in the mutal respect category, Rudeness, Insults, snide remarks achieve but one thing, total lack of respect for your opinion on pretty much anything. I'm not alone in being at the receiving end of your Bile.

Your now on my ignore list, you'll appear greyed out (appropriately), I won't see or care about what you post , I suspect I'm not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

So, does "learning to live with COVID" involve making any changes, be they big or small, to our behaviour/lives going forward ? or does it really just mean ignore COVID and carry on as if its 2019 ?

Seems to me we can't really have a global pandemic without some permanent or semi permanent changes.

Advertisement