Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

CMO told opposition in a briefing that the models didn't account for the NIAC advice on using AZ & JJ in u40s

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    On that Scotland issue. 2,000 or so travelled to London for the game V England, either to attend the match, or to watch it elsewhere in the City with others.

1,200 of them are now infected.

Say what you like, this bugger is infectious like wildfire. I don't entertain anyone who uses deaths as a metric of success, but it would be churlish to ignore the risk to our hospitals of an explosion of cases once again.

Well you got quite a few things wrong here. 2000 fans got Covid from tens of thousands who went down. 1/3 were in Scotland.

[url] https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-57667163[/url]

Nearly 2,000 Covid cases in Scotland have been linked to people watching Euro 2020 football matches.

Scotland was only allocated 2,600 tickets for the match at Wembley because of Covid restrictions.
    But tens of thousands of fans are believed to have travelled to London despite warnings not to do so unless they had a ticket.

2/3 came from London.

So the infection rate is at worst 13% (assuming 10k went down), but if say 100k went down, then it’s only 1.3%. If 100k went down then literally nothing to worry about and that’s quite probable.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

TomSweeney wrote: »
    So basically this will never end ....

On the Newstalk site they revealed that fully vaccinated people will only be considered protected for 4 months and 10 days. Brought down recently from 9 months!
    Everything we know about vaccines in the past points to a really long protection time, running into years, sometimes decades.
    They are just plucking the 130 days out of the air as nobody can calculate the timeframe of less efficasy. 4 months and 10 days halved fr 9. Just like that.
    Just to be sure that you WILL take a booster shot if you plan to go somewhere.THAT's the vaccine bonus time frame.
    It means that, being fully vaccinated on june 17, by the time xmas holidays are there, Moderna can expect a nice bonus w a booster shot.
    They are just forcing this down yr throat w no data to back it up.It is becoming the modus operandi in a lot of cases.
    For your own good, im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

A Short Crucial Update on the Delta Variant and Much More

Don't know if this link was posted earlier in thread but no harm to repeat every few pages as everyone should watch it and share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TR0Nrds16Y

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Larbre34 wrote: »
    On that Scotland issue. 2,000 or so travelled to London for the game V England, either to attend the match, or to watch it elsewhere in the City with others.

1,200 of them are now infected.

Say what you like, this bugger is infectious like wildfire. I don't entertain anyone who uses deaths as a metric of success, but it would be churlish to ignore the risk to our hospitals of an explosion of cases once again.

Saw that report earlier on TV. Apparently the numbers infected are now over 2000 but there was more than that involved afaik
    Spike on June 21

A sharp increase in Covid cases linked to Euro 2020 can be seen in the days after the June 18 clash in London.

Almost 250 cases were logged on June 20 and, the day after, this more than doubled to 563.

Hundreds more cases were logged in the three days following.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/3275380/almost-2000-covid-cases-linked-with-scottish-football-fans-at-euros/

Overall Contract tracing in Scotland found 2,000 Covid cases linked with Scottish football fans at Euros while daily new cases in Scotland reportedly hit record high for second time in three days.

Meanwhile down south Boris is again playing Covid flipflop with plans to scrap the need for Covid passports at large public gatherings after "Freedom Day" on July 19.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

RTÉ radio 1 currently scaremongering as usual- frequent use of this new phrase “rip through the population”- if the average age of the people getting it is 25, because everyone vulnerable is vaccinated, seriously what is the big issue? The language really needs to be moderated.

At this stage just give me the fecking antibodies. I’ll start licking lampposts if I’m waiting too much longer on a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just to highlight this. Its within the Independent article but its the standout for me tbh

https://twitter.com/RobOHanrahan/status/1410262975018057728?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Just to highlight this. Its within the Independent article but its the standout for me tbh

Is this their way of explaining why we aren't already all dead or trying to save face from their **** models?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And they'll have 60k in a week's time.

They're actually living with covid like most sensible countries.

But NPHET know better.

Thou must not consume alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Its all arbitary at this stage.Data input flawed therefore-not to talk with martins and holohans new obsession with Scotland without mentioning the notable effect of euro fans travelling and crowds supporters watching games in pubs,houses etc.
    We really are being played for fools

• Advertisement

Ballynally wrote: »
    On the Newstalk site they revealed that fully vaccinated people will only be considered protected for 4 months and 10 days. Brought down recently from 9 months! Everything we know about vaccines in the past points to a really long protection time, running into years, sometimes decades.
    They are just plucking the 130 days out of the air as nobody can calculate the timeframe of less efficasy. 4 months and 10 days halved fr 9. Just like that.Just to be sure that you WILL take a booster shot if you plan to go somewhere.THAT's the vaccine bonus time frame.
    It means that, being fully vaccinated on june 17, by the time xmas holidays are there, Moderna can expect a nice bonus w a booster shot.
    They are just forcing this down yr throat w no data to back it up.It is becoming the modus operandi in a lot of cases.
    For your own good, im sure.

Well no. Vaccines for Influenza change on a yearly basis.

Otherwise looks like not all the data on vaccines and covid is in yet. The crucial factor determining how long a vaccine remains usable relates to potential future changes in the virus itself.

Evidence Shows Pfizer and Moderna May Provide Lifetime Immunity to COVID-19
    But the Delta variant may still pose some concern.

Both Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna's COVID-19 vaccines trigger a consistent immune reaction in the human body that could protect recipients for years, according to a Monday report from the journal Nature.

While the effectiveness of drugs developed at world-record speeds at such an early stage is naturally tenuous, we may be nearing the stage where many vaccine recipients may breathe a sigh of world-historical relief.

However, with troubling developments amid Israel's Delta variant outbreak, there may still be cause for concern.

COVID-19 coronavirus immunity might last for years

The new findings lend credence to mounting evidence that most people who receive the two mRNA vaccines may need no further boosters, as long as the virus and its subsequent variants don't surpass an evolutionary threshold of potential effectiveness. And to be clear: this could happen. Those who contracted and survived the COVID-19 coronavirus before receiving a vaccine might be fine without a booster, even should the virus undergo a substantial evolutionary leap. 

https://interestingengineering.com/pfizer-moderna-provide-lifetime-covid-19-immunity

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Tony still says no to antigen tests:

CMO told opposition in a briefing that the models didn't account for the NIAC advice on using AZ & JJ in u40s

"Garbage in, garbage out"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭MOR316

I said this in another thread a few times...I was told by someone close to it all, back near February/March time, that Holohan and NPHET didn't want pubs open until Spring of next year.

Now, I assumed they were mistaking when they opened outdoor hospitality and that they were told wrong. With what happened yesterday and now Holohan saying today that witout Vaccine passports, they'd have recommended them to be shut for months and months, my mind is beginning to wonder...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As the Indo tells it, this all seems to be down to Micheal Martin being unable to make a decision himself, and Holohan - himself an arrogant dominating individual as we've seen in the pressers - taking advantage of this weak ineffectual man to push his agenda...

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/scramble-to-save-summer-ministers-incensed-at-nphet-race-on-to-develop-vaccine-id-amid-shock-advice-40596602.html

.... It almost reads like an abusive relationship between them to be honest. One of them has to get out.

That is maddening to read. Micheal Martin needs to realise that he (god help us) is in charge, and step up. Unfortunately, not a hope of that happening.

What was the point of anyone being vaccinated if this is the outcome. As for the idea of a 'pass' I'm too annoyed to even type what I think of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Completely outrageous that Holohan is STILL against antigen testing and the government puppets are following this nonsense advice.

Antigen testing must be included in any 'covid pass' - there is no way they could discriminate against people who have not been vaccinated in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its actually funny listening to all the possible scenarios on The Last Word.

Government did not think this out at all, and nor did NPHET.

Its laughable, if it wasn't so serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

dubdaymo wrote: »
    A Short Crucial Update on the Delta Variant and Much More

Don't know if this link was posted earlier in thread but no harm to repeat every few pages as everyone should watch it and share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TR0Nrds16Y
    Just so posters know it's Ivor Cummings and it's 10 minutes long.

Looks like the music "test event" at Kilmainham will be about as much fun as living on a battery farm. Literally caging people into pens. I expect posters will still defend this nonsense no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Looks like the music "test event" at Kilmainham will be about as much fun as living on a battery farm. Literally caging people into pens. I expect posters will still defend this nonsense no doubt.

History will look back at all of us like a bunch of hysterical lunatics.

• Advertisement

Shelga wrote: »
    RTÉ radio 1 currently scaremongering as usual- frequent use of this new phrase “rip through the population”- if the average age of the people getting it is 25, because everyone vulnerable is vaccinated, seriously what is the big issue? The language really needs to be moderated.

At this stage just give me the fecking antibodies. I’ll start licking lampposts if I’m waiting too much longer on a vaccine.

Can completely understand the frustration but no not all the vulnerable have been vaccinated. Add to this where Delta is known to be an issue for those with only one dose. Hence the push to get as many people fully vaccinated as possible
    Vulnerable groups are not yet fully vaccinated and remain at significant risk to the severe impact of COVID-19 (75% of 60-69 year olds and & 46% 50-59 year olds have not yet received second dose; cohort 7 not yet complete)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

gozunda wrote: »
    Can completely understand the frustration but no not all the vulnerable have been vaccinated. Add to this where Delta is known to be an issue for those with only one dose. Hence the push to get as many people fully vaccinated as possible

I know someone.
    Had a bleed on the brain many years ago. Won't take the AZ vaccine because of the stories of blood clots being a rare side effect. Says they'll wait for Pfizer. Don't blame them.

The way this is being touted, it's against basic human rights to discriminate against them and oust them from society for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Here's a recent tweet about it:

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1410208671871782916

Looking great in Israel!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How sad is that?:rolleyes:

I'm glad I'm too old to even want to attend an outdoor gig any more.

Would have zero interest. Atmosphere will be awful.

"Stay in your pen!"

It's more of a concern to me that the National Public Health Emergency Team and the Chief Medical Officer are not concerned about any other health issues or health system issues other than COVID...

NIMAN wrote: »
    How sad is that?:rolleyes:

I'm glad I'm too old to even want to attend an outdoor gig any more.

Would have zero interest. Atmosphere will be awful.

"Stay in your pen!"

It's Gavin James...I'll stay in my home

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

NIMAN wrote: »

"Stay in your pen!"

Like good sheep

MOR316 wrote: »
    I know someone.
    Had a bleed on the brain many years ago. Won't take the AZ vaccine because of the stories of blood clots being a rare side effect. Says they'll wait for Pfizer. Don't blame them.

The way this is being touted, it's against basic human rights to discriminate against them and oust them from society for that.

Completly agree. Needs to get on to his GP as high risk and referred into the appointment system. I can't see any issue getting Pfizer tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

Talk about a captive audience

Advertisement