Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Sorry now but are you a public health expert?

This defence is commonly used, except It might have escaped your notice that actual experts in Harvard have contradicted NPhets stance on Antigen testing. Or that NPHET (consisting of mostly GP's with administrative backgrounds such as Holohan) have defied WHO instructions merely to save their own arse.

Even McConkey is saying now that the country needs to open

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/international-travel-could-be-devastating-but-indoor-dining-should-go-ahead-prof-sam-mcconkey-40588399.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dyr wrote: »
    Are you?

Are you saying that every other European nation is getting it wrong?

Along with the US?

You must be a NPHET level expert so.

I am happy that the Govt is taking appropriate advice from experts

Much prefer that than idiots winging it.

Don’t forget almost all the Cabinet have no medical qualifications and a number - for example Harris -don’t have 3rd level qualifications.

I’m happy that NPHET expertise is being utilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

TheDoctor wrote: »

If 9 deaths is true there should be a criminal investigation into NPHET don’t mind independent analysis!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Some Ppl need to calm down and realise there is a silent majority right behind the govt and their advisories NPHET

TH is charged with a solemn duty to preserve lives. Never forget it

You’re making it too obvious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I am happy that the govt is taking appropriate advice from experts

Don’t forget almost all the govt have no medical qualifications and a number for example Harris don’t have 3rd level qualifications.

Why are you quoting me when you didnt respond to a single question in my post? Leave the deflection to Meehole fiedlling questions from RTE, won't work anywhere else. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I am happy that the govt is taking appropriate advice from experts

Don’t forget almost all the govt have no medical qualifications and a number for example Harris don’t have 3rd level qualifications.

The modelling this time had been shown to be erroneous

The modelling in May predicted 500 in ICU this week if contacts doubled

Guess what?

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1409885270049239048?s=19

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To put that in perspective we have had 270k cases in 16 months.
    Indeed and in the under 45's how many lost their lives? Fifty four. And that's out of 270k people who tested positive out of the population. The number who were actually infected and weren't tested as positives is going to be a higher figure again. Likely quite a bit higher. But for the craic let's imagine that all of those 270,000 were the only ones who were infected with COvid 19. The overall mortality rate for the under 45's was ...drumroll... 0.02 percent. But nay I hear ye say, that's across all age groups rather than the under 45's. OK and fair enough. 157668 under 45's returned a positive covid 19 test, the percentage of deaths accounting for that age group was?.. 0.034% Again set against actually tested and confirmed positive cases.

Now let's look at the people hit the hardest and by some margin, those over 65. 31314 tested positive and 4510 passed away. The biggest slice of the nearly 5000 dead by a long way. Even among this group the death rate of tested positive people was 14%. That's a fcuking disaster and a tragedy, especially when it ran through nursing homes. However, today those most vulnerable have either caught it and are still around with us and/or have been fully vaccinated which reduces hospitalisation and mortality to pretty much nothing unless your name is Mr Unluck O'Unlucky of 1 Cursed Providence Avenue.

In short the risks were low, but at the same time too many old and compromised people died. That tragedy is in the past now, open the hell up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You’re making it too obvious now.

What have I said in that post that isn’t true?

What have I said in that post that isn’t true?

You’re good at asking questions. Not so good at answering them.

I have no intention of engaging with your wind up mission. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

That journalist Michael O'Regan is so brainwashed it's quite comical. He's a NPHET Spokesperson in all but name. He's insufferable. It's disgusting that people like him gain such huge traction and followers from all this nonsense.

• Advertisement

But there's Gonna be another 2170 in the next 3 months so #holdfirm another while

We have a passionate snooker man creating the data modelling so we are sorted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stheno wrote: »
    The modelling this time had been shown to be erroneous

The modelling in May predicted 500 in ICU this week if contacts doubled

Guess what?

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1409885270049239048?s=19
    Modelling is too often flim flam dressed up in fancy maths masquerading as a science with pie charts in PowerPoint, beloved of middle management who need to spend the end of year budget and look like they're doing something. This has been very much laid bare in this pandemic. At the start of this and even well into it when data from closed systems of mostly elderly people on cruise ships was coming in and showing it wasn't the Black Death personified(thank christ), we had the sky falling in merchants going on about 10, 20, even 40,000 potentially dead in Ireland. Makes for great copy and plugs into the understandably fearful, but it quickly turned out to be bollocks of the finest quality.

EDIT and by the by, those figures I quoted in my previous post come from the Wikipedia source on the pandemic in Ireland. I'm not getting this from Sharon on Arsebook. I'm not even on Arsebook.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    That journalist Michael O'Regan is so brainwashed its quite comical. He's a NPHET Spokesperson. He's insufferable. It's disgusting that people like him gain such huge traction and followers from all this nonsense.

O’Regan is one of the most distinguished pol cors in the business. He doesn’t suffer fools and as well he has a powerful bull sh1t detector.

You’re good at asking questions. Not so good at answering them.

I have no intention of engaging with your wind up mission. Good luck.

Yet I note you didn’t identify Anything that is not true in my post ... good luck doctor jimbob

O’Regan is one of the most distinguished pol cors in the business. He doesn’t suffer fools and as well he has a powerful bull sh1t detector.

Except when it comes to detecting his own.

https://twitter.com/Michael_O_Regan/status/1410287434252926982

So, tell me tipp gunner, is there an acceptable level of death????

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The parody account of Tony Holohan on Twitter has been suspended. :pac: Rarely see that happening.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wibbs wrote: »
    Modelling is too often flim flam dressed up in fancy maths masquerading as a science with pie charts in PowerPoint, beloved of middle management who need to spend the end of year budget and look like they're doing something. This has been very much laid bare in this pandemic. At the start of this and even well into it when data from closed systems of mostly elderly people on cruise ships was coming in and showing it wasn't the Black Death personified(thank christ), we had the sky falling in merchants going on about 10, 20, even 40,000 potentially dead in Ireland. Makes for great copy and plugs into the understandably fearful, but it quickly turned out to be bollocks of the finest quality.

EDIT and by the by, those figures I quoted in my previous post come from the Wikipedia source on the pandemic in Ireland. I'm not getting this from Sharon on Arsebook. I'm not even on Arsebook.

I think if there is any positive this week it's that data has been questioned and examined

Shame it took an actual ****show to get to that point

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The parody account of Tony Holohan on Twitter has been suspended. :pac: Rarely see that happening.

In fairness it was a bit much

Its easy to be passed off at NPHET, but targeting individuals is unfair

I don't have much time for Stephen Donnelly but was shocked people targeted his family home

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So, tell me tipp gunner, is there an acceptable level of death????
    There must be because humans having dying for years and we didnt shut down our way of life

• Advertisement

So, tell me, is there an acceptable level of death????

All the deaths are absolutely terrible but in case it escaped your notice, we've vaccinated most of the vulnerable groups and it might also shock you to know that people sadly die for one reason or another every day of the week. None of us are immortal, but we've endured 1.5 years of our lives at a standstill. ENOUGH!!!!

So where are Europe going wrong and Ireland and NPHET going right so???

Did your great bullshít detector of a journalist, ever bother his arse to investigate the 4500 untested people that were moved from hospitals to nursing homes???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

TheDoctor wrote: »

Given I still have no idea what these deaths are or how they classify, a number like that matters little (with the greatest of sympathy to all who lose family)

There must be because humans having dying for years and we didnt shut down our way of life

False, death didn’t exist until COVID came along in late 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Funny, only played golf today with a lad who lost his mother to Covid in September and his father to Covid in November, he even said its time to draw a line in the sand and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

That's a textbook example of a straw man fallacy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

We have a passionate snooker man creating the data modelling so we are sorted.

His Snooker Model named John Higgins as he best player every so I'd also disregard his expertise on that subject.

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/0318/1204649-snooker-greatest-player-of-all-time/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Can we stop driving please, what level of road deaths are acceptable....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

There’s a petition on Twitter to remove cervical check from NPHET. I wonder will he live to regret this nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Dyr wrote: »
    Tony saved granny, despite the fact that granny is now as vaccinated as she'll ever be

Sorry, but granny is actually dead, she died in one of the nursing homes when Tony Holohan told everybody that it was fine to visit and that PPE was not needed.

• Advertisement

ingo1984 wrote: »
    Funny, only played golf today with a lad who lost his mother to Covid in September and his father to Covid in November, he even said its time to draw a line in the sand and move on.

Both absolutely awful deaths, RIP.

Obviously I could understand a level of caution that time to protect the vulnerable, but how much more must the population sacrifice in order to protect risk of deaths based on a spurious model of projection that has been largely wrong so far and also at a time when the vulnerable groups have been fully vaccinated.

Advertisement