Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭prunudo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Don't be questioing our betters

Funny enough, thats essentially what a mate said to me earlier. He basically said nphet are above critique because they are the experts. He hadn't paid attention to news last few days and if nphet had realised figures then they're obviously right. Same guy wfh from the last 16 months, has a good income and doesn't like pubs. A perfect example of a 'I'm alright Jack'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The data should never have been sent to cabinet if it was outdated. That's scandalous.

There's a lot of scandalous stuff here. Holohan signed the letter with outdated data making recommendations on the back of said outdated data. Martin misled the cabinet by telling them it did in fact include the revised vaccine plan.

They both should resign immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I don't like it but NPHET are the experts, and they are only giving their opinion and they might be wrong now but in the past they have been right!

At the same time I think we are at a point here where we are probably staring down the barrel of another lockdown this coming winter due to the influence from our neighbouring countries - and that will be regardless of what we do now.

So let's copy what our neighbours are doing and give the people of Ireland a bit of a breather in the mean time? If I'm wrong (and hopefully I am) then even better!

What, exactly, are NPHET experts in? What does qualified GP and masters in Public Health know, that, say Marcus De Brun, qualified GP and microbiologist doesn’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Does he not remember August 87?
    Or Storm Emma?
    We weren’t even in the feckin Euros and he is bringing Scotland into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

In fairness this has been happening for months but are now more open about it. Food probably east to take away and.or pints in glasses you can take away and sit down outside

No, no food being served or take aways. And when you drive past and get a glimpse inside you can see sometimes people standing/ sitting at the bar enjoying their drink

Is clear for anyone to see in some parts of Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Motion of no confidence in MM according to that tweet or am I misreading?

Sorry misread, he has no confidence in MM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

The same Scotland which has indoor Dining open for weeks and whose CMO sees no reason to reverse track on further relaxations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Hurricanes and trampolines don’t mix. It’s no wonder Stephen is worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Jizique wrote: »
    Does he not remember August 87?
    Or Storm Emma?
    We weren’t even in the feckin Euros and he is bringing Scotland into it

7014b50d-132d-4326-bc75-c259b856c856_text.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Thespoofer wrote: »
    No, no food being served or take aways. And when you drive past and get a glimpse inside you can see sometimes people standing/ sitting at the bar enjoying their drink

Is clear for anyone to see in some parts of Cork.

Yes what I wrote. If for some reason you get a sour puss they can move everyone outside. I said food and/or drink to cover either scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

This is ****ing atrocious bollocks.

If you didn't email your TD please do. Can't be let away with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Donnelly the gift that keeps on giving

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Though we'd all like it, there is no chance in hell that Mike Martin will resign.

Micheal Martin was part of the government that brought the country to its knees in 2008. He also was involved in establishing the disastrous HSE. He is seemingly Teflon. Nothing will bring him down. He's from Cark bai, and the locals will back anyone down from down there

The Scottish CMO doesn't seem worried and they've had indoor dining opened for weeks already

https://twitter.com/DrGregorSmith/status/1408382714013683720

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

This is worse than Watergate!!

It feels like we're in some sort of weird social experiment in Ireland. See how far you can push an entire population with fear mongering and complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Nolan has also confirmed that the model he is using is indeed the one compiled by the snooker rakings student.

Are really trying to discredit the author because he once worked on an academic or hobby project?

Remember everyone. NPHET advises and Government decides,

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1410328183442976773

Are really trying to discredit the author because he once worked on an academic or hobby project?

No he's discrediting the model because it's the same one used for snooker rankings and fantasy football stats by that student.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

The Scottish CMO doesn't seem worried and they've had indoor dining opened for weeks already

Somebody should print those tweets and staple them to Donnellys stupid head.

• Advertisement

Remember everyone. NPHET advises and Government decides,

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1410328183442976773

Again if there was any doubt about who is running the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Surely this is it and indoor pubs may proceed mid July ?

Lots of things going tits up for both NPHET and the Government

No, but he hasn't even graduated yet. Maybe you missed that point

George Lee once told us these models were designed by the best Mathematicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Hurricanes and trampolines don’t mix. It’s no wonder Stephen is worried.

A few years ago during 1 of the big storms I was inside and I heard a crsh went outside to check. A plastic chair from one of the duplexes above got swept over the balcony and crashed in between mine and my neighbors car. Ever since I am careful how I park my car when there is a stormy weather

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The same Scotland which has indoor Dining open for weeks and whose CMO sees no reason to reverse track on further relaxations?

Yeah the same one

Seems like an apocalypse on the way for Scotland the way Martin and Donnelly are framing it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The Scottish CMO makes a good point about vaccination, what are the Irish levels by comparison to the Scottish ones? Last I checked we were piss poor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Donnelly's statement is utter b*llocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Surely this is it and indoor pubs may proceed mid July ?

Lots of things going tits up for both NPHET and the Government

Nah, they'll brazen this out as long as they can. Only way pubs/restaurants etc are reopening is with mass protests and civil disobedience. You cannot rely on the government to do it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

"TAOISEACH Micheál Martin wrongly told Cabinet colleagues that updated guidance on the National Vaccination Programme was factored into dire Nphet forecasts about the impact of the Delta wave.

Mr Martin told a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday that warnings from public health officials that over 2,000 people could die in the coming months because of the Delta wave was based on new advice to expand the use of certain Covid-19 vaccines on younger age cohorts and thus potentially expedite the vaccination of people under 40.

Independent.ie understands Tourism Minister Catherine Martin specifically asked the Taoiseach if the new advice from the National Immunisation Advisory Council (Niac) was factored into the forecasts."

"Mr Martin responded by telling the Cabinet meeting Nphet’s projections had accounted for the significant changes in the National Vaccination Programme."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/taoiseach-wrongly-told-cabinet-that-updated-vaccination-advice-was-factored-into-nphets-dire-delta-forecast-40600175.html

Looks like more Chinese whispers tbh. The article claims that "Cabinet sources confirmed Mr Martin told the crucial meeting on indoor dining that Nphet’s projections took into account the changes to the vaccine roll-out"

And then follows that with "the spokesperson said: “As a practice we do not comment on Cabinet discussions, nor are we allowed to"

Nicely done ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Nolan has also confirmed that the model he is using is indeed the one compiled by the snooker rakings student.

https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1410315619656949765

From the report:

"The uncertainty shown with the quantiles in Figures 3 through 5 is due to the ranges of parame-
    ter values as specified in Section 1.1. However, it is important to note that in each case it is assumed
    that the reproductive number is exactly as specified in the scenario description. Comparing the
    results for the three scenarios, it is clear that the effect of uncertainty in future R values dominates
    the uncertainty due to the range of possible values for the other parameters of the model." End quote.

This is enough of an indication that shows that you can easily hide anything by using over complicated jargon, burying everything in a pile of equations.
    It looks impressive if you didnt know any better.
    It is like a useless series of equations used in economics. Change any of them and you get a different outcome. Read the section of the report again.
    And again. It is clear, isnt it?
    Everything depends on everything else with a large uncertainty factor.

I am especially fond of:" it is clear that the effect of uncertainty in future R values dominates the uncertainty due to the range of possible values for the other parameters of the model".
    Effin brilliant. Give that guy a phD!

Advertisement