Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

amongst all the scaremongering and over-exaggeration in the past week , surely this tops it from our Minister of Health Stephen Donnellly speaking to his own parliamentary part :

“the biggest hurricane that has ever hit Ireland is coming”.

Really , bigger than March 2020 when we did not know what we were dealing with , had no vaccine, no hope of vaccine , never mind the vulnerable and over half our population being vaccinated . Why does no one call out such hysterics and rubbish, tell us the truth why restrictions are needed not made up fear inducing drivel to continually shock the nation .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's quite clear that Holohan is using Covid as a personal chance at redemption for his past failings. By painting the virus as a deadly killer he gets to portray himself as the hero that will save us all.

He doesn't care if he has to drag the entire country down to do it and the Government are too cowardly and weak to stop this from happening.

This is very dangerous, ego-driven nonsense from a man who does not want to relinquish control and who is prepared to bully, leak and mislead his way to get what he wants.

The fact it's being lapped up by large swades of the population is worrying.

This is a bit unfair though. The media and the government have fed this deference to NPHET.

Holohan gives health advice the government should make informed decisions based off. In a functioning government he is just one of many inputs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

It's quite clear that Holohan is using Covid as a personal chance at redemption for his past failings. By painting the virus as a deadly killer he gets to portray himself as the hero that will save us all.

He doesn't care if he has to drag the entire country down to do it and the Government are too cowardly and weak to stop this from happening.

This is very dangerous, ego-driven nonsense from a man who does not want to relinquish control and who is prepared to bully, leak and mislead his way to get what he wants.

The fact it's being lapped up by large swades of the population is worrying.

I wish the paying for this nonsense started right now... the budget cuts, tax hikes. See the public support to prevent zero deaths at the cost of billions then!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

thebaz wrote: »
    amongst all the scaremongering and over-exaggeration in the past week , surely this tops it from our Minister of Health Stephen Donnellly speaking to his own parliamentary part :

Really , bigger than March 2020 when we did not know what we were dealing with , had no vaccine, no hope of vaccine , never mind the vulnerable and over half our population being vaccinated . Why does no one call out such hysterics and lies , tell us the truth why restrictions are needed not made up fear inducing drivel to continually shock the nation .

He's at it now on Pat Kenny.

This super spreading new virus that the vaccines aren't as effective against.

More spin and lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

The way I'd describe it is that we're incredibly corrupt but small enough that enough people benefit from it that it looks ok. Seeing us rank super-low on corruption indexes and the like always gets a chuckle from me.

Yet the heroes of the "open it up" brigade are generally the very worst examples of parish pump, pork barrel blowhard gob****es.

The Healy Raes, Verona Murphy, Michael Collins, that eejit O'Donoghue in Limerick, Marc MacSharry.

Work that one out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

https://www.newstalk.com/news/i-was-just-shocked-john-mcguinness-criticises-stephen-donnelly-for-bad-management-1218813?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1625071349

Good luck to them trying to screw around and either or row back going forward, it's going to be much harder for them to do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I would be confident looking at their qualifications that a large proportion would have required studying data analytics within their professional studies yes

I would agree. All would have been required to use statistical analysis at some point in the education or even professional work. To me, that makes the letter sent even worse. Did one of these people not say "hold on a sec, these numbers look a bit off".

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

This super spreading new virus that the vaccines aren't as effective against it.

More spin and lies.

Tell us the truth not lies - as if we all gullible fools, then again maybe we are at this stage. But seriously, this is our Minister for Health - Shocking, did not think Fiana Fail could sink much lower , but they continually seam to, this guy seams worse than anyone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Worst thing is if things do go belly up, we'll never hear the end of it :( But I'm hopeful based on the Scottish CMO stating they are watching it closely and way ahead in terms of us that we can ride it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This super spreading new virus that the vaccines aren't as effective against.

More spin and lies.

This new "expert group" he's setting up sounds like another nice job for the boys to me.

Pat asks him about Iveagh Gardens and what was learned.. Donnelly stumbles and says that he hasn't seen the feedback and it had nothing to do with health??!

Muppet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Stephen "Trampoline" Donnelly on the radio with Pat "COVID plume" Kenny. No questioning the lies there, just disinformation and hysteria.

Balanced as f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭moonage

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye. Never ascribe conspiracy to something when incompetence is by far the more likely.

If a small number of countries had over-reacted to this relatively mild virus, then it could be put down to incompetence.

When the global response (with a few exceptions) has been so uniform and draconian and anti-scientific then incompetence can be ruled out. There's something very sinister behind it all.

Almost all countries have a very similar response, although Ireland is sticking very closely to the script more that most. We may moan about Tony Holohan and M Martin and we may envy other countries who are more "sensible" but the whole world is going to hell in a handcart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    That would be funny if it wasn’t so serious!

Anyone know if they can go ahead? Read they are off but source flimsy.

we've had one cancelled by the priest.

ridiculous - can have 50 people at a wedding but not 5 at a christening.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This new "expert group" he's setting up sounds like another nice job for the boys to me.

Pat asks him about Iveagh Gardens and what was learned.. Donnelly stumbles and says that he hasn't seen the feedback and it had nothing to do with health??!

Muppet!

Yep another group.

Clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I remember a statue being moved in the back of a truck. It fell on a guy as they unloaded it. Didn't die though. :)

was it a statue of the blessed virgin mary?

eye witnesses said it fell but began to float and gently landed on the person with out hurting him

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Muppet!

Yep another group.

Clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

In response to Stephen Donnelly's assertion that NPHET have warned that "the greatest hurricane to ever hit Ireland" is approaching, I cannot do better than to quote this twitter user;

"if this is true then how come we aren't heading straight back to level 5? Surely just keeping indoor dining closed won't stop "the greatest hurricane to ever hit Ireland". I'm no virologist or statistician, but I'd say there is a high chance that statement is bollocks"

https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachRoche_/status/1410338908831899650

Yours truly :P thought my header photo might be a giveaway!

Russman wrote: »
    You're right, but probably no government bar maybe a Tory UK or US with Donny in charge, will "put one in the water" when its their population that they're taking a chance with. I'm not for a second saying NPHET are right with their models, personally I can't see their two or three worst case scenarios ever coming to pass, but I'm no expert. I think ultimately a delay of a few weeks will buy us enough time to open after the August bank holiday, certainly well before they have any semblance of a coronapass developed or workable.

The rest of the EU are moving on from this. We seems stuck in 2020 mode. So, it's not just the UK and US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Next election, remember this and bury the government and all of these privileged, government-funded institutions who tried to deny you your livelihood.
    Indeed, one would hope people will remember, but if the last 30/40 years is anything to go by they won't. Turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind.
    Anyway, burying the government will have no effect on the government-funded institutions/NGO who are really in charge, as the last 14 months have shown.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Might as well just wait for the updated vaccine since the NPHET Government don't seem to rate these ones. And sure it's not like vaccine uptake will be linked to lifting of restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

thebaz wrote: »

Really , bigger than March 2020 when we did not know what we were dealing with , had no vaccine, no hope of vaccine , never mind the vulnerable and over half our population being vaccinated . Why does no one call out such hysterics and rubbish, tell us the truth why restrictions are needed not made up fear inducing drivel to continually shock the nation .

This is it!!

We went from a dark cloud on the horizon "the biggest hurricane that has ever hit Ireland"

All on Monday.

No sign of this before, government given no inkling, everything looking positive and boom the biggest hurrican ever comes out of nowhere.

And we are just to trust this forecast and model without question?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yep another group.

Clueless.

The Covid Umbrella National Team (of) Scientists.

elefant wrote: »
    Philip Nolan is a professional, and chair of the modelling group, and what he tweeted about over 70s vulnerability to serious illness after vaccination is completely misleading.

You can say what you want about needing to trust in what experts are saying, and I've been staunchly of this view for the past year and half too, but you can't deny complete falsehoods staring you in the face.

If this falsehood didn't, in fact, factor into data used in the forecast NHPET made, then they should clarify that. Though this would then lead me to ask why he tweeted it in the first place.

At a minimum he needs to clarify if this error was used in the reporting. An error like that means the rest of the report is in question until proved otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Someone take the shovel away from Donnelly. It's painful at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This makes my blood boil.

So he’s saying we need severe restrictions to protect the 5% of people the vaccines won’t work for
    https://www.thejournal.ie/philip-nolan-nphet-modelling-indoor-hospitality-5482332-Jul2021/?fbclid=IwAR3Z4Nv7hKpcA3cGTYB4yUHfmcawFLwT0zk7r002sSEMOBWGHheZBeqiMIk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

the kelt wrote: »
    Cant reopen in August, what about the schools going back?

Come September and October ye will have lads playing county finals and out celebrating, look at what happened last year, cant re open then.

Come November, listen we need to have a meaningful Christmas dont we, best not to reopen then, we will see at Christmas.

December, jaysus remember December 2020, we will have a feckin million cases this time around, sure we cant reopen.

The thing is if someone posted this doomsday scenario a month ago i would have just dismissed them but after Monday i dont really know anymore. I mean if Sam Mc Conkey a zero Covid advocate is less pessimistic than NPHET its hard to know what to say??

You must be living under a rock, so I've got great news for you. The country is in fact already almost entirely reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So therefore they can have people inside in said pubs until 3am come Autumn time. They’re not closed down and told they wouldn’t even be advised to reopen come end of September. They’re also not using a vaccine passport system. If you want to pick apart the finer details of the legislation, be my guest.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2021/0629/1232083-northern-ireland-pubs/

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-57644493

Not picking apart anything, you made 2 claims, 1) Nightclubs in NI were open 2) Pubs were open until 3am now

I'm just saying neither of those statements are true, that's all. Nothing more nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭eggy81

Talk about hyperbole. Keeping restaurants serving the vaccinated indoors for a while will not kill the economy ffs.

The economy and every single other facet of life that this government and tbf every recent government have any impact on are in complete and utter turmoil, from the housing situation to health to child care and education. The whole country is a fecking shambles including the economy. Should we just continue to ignore every poor decision. They are getting paid a kings ransom for nothing while giving themselves pay increases and laughing at the rest of us. They don’t represent us in any way whatsoever. No positive change in any aspect of life in the country in donkeys years. And only the prospect of things getting worse after the way this has been handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

TomTomTim wrote: »
    If this does happen, I'd be seriously concerned about our freedoms in the long run, as there's no possible way to end this based on the incredibly high standards they've set for freedom. They can constantly use fear and fear alone to keep us in our place.

This was my point earlier, essentially all this just points to this never ending.

As even when we do hit 100% vaccinated, the people that were vaccinated earliest will need their boosters -so never really a fully vaccinated population it's a never ending cycle.

I'd love someone to explain why I am wrong here ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

This is car crash stuff. Pat is well in bed with the Covid fanatics, but even he's exposing Donnelly for the clown he is.

Advertisement