Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

Wow!

Just wow!

So ... in short, vaccines reduce severe disease and deaths (we knew) but not much on transmission.

In order to find a balance we must have other measures - masks, physical distancing, no crowds .... forever.

So concerts, sports events, nightclubs are literally a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

For anyone that wants to ignore a Boards user with their settings set to Private, go into your own profile, find your ignore list and type their name in.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I can dance the night away though (well until midnight) and I intend on doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Austria are going into a nationwide Lockdown on Monday. Bet we wont be far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Gibraltar recorded 70 new cases on Tuesday, 2 people in hospital and 1 of those in intensive care, yeah that's a sign that vaccines don't work alright... They've cancelled the government Christmas parties and recommended people meet outdoors and wear masks in public places. It's far from a cancelled Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,508 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's getting depressing at this stage.

Despite having one of the world's highest vaccine rates, we are heading for another major lockdown soon.

Maybe this time they should consider a proper 2 or 3 week circuit breaker, instead of arsing around for months. A short, sharp bit of pain, and let us all get back to some sort of normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

you are (or your post is) the epitome of the boiling frog - it's only this , it's only that...sure be grateful..

the pubs will be restricted to an hour a day and you (you arent alone tbf) will be claiming the pubs are "open"

Gibraltar sounds like its' gonna be sh1t christmas . That's not Christmas.

Honestly I'm looking at the situation in NZ and parts of Australia and I'm not convinced that lockdowns are a viable way of controlling the Delta variant. I'm also looking at England and thinking maybe the delta variant needs to rip through our society to eventually be calmed

I'd propose we tell young people to stop meeting up with older people for the next few weeks and go out and party as hard as they can among themselves in that time. Incetivise them to do so with cheap liquor and free taxis! It might not work but lockdowns don't so I think it's worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

We had no vaccines last xmas, vaccine rollout only (effectively) completed in August, we have no data point for a winter with almost no restrictions with vaccines as much as people try and make out otherwise. Next year we'll also have effective anti-viral pills, today we don't, so the data points will change again.

And it's funny that you're taking a jingle saying the opposite which is designed so everyone knows the risks involved in predicting the future and trying to invert it to suit your narrative.

His point was about supply of vaccines and that they should be used on the most at risk first and then work their way through everyone else not that people shouldn't get vaccinated.

And he's right, but supply isn't as big an issue anymore so the push is against misinformation instead.

• Advertisement

Next winter will be ok ... next winter will be ok ... Geee have we heard that before? ?

Hilarious!

All the smug people going around loving that the lepers were locked away, now they all will be .... and I see it will be a legal requirment to get vaccinated there - nice!!

Austria has gone full fascist.

I guess it's a new one from them, it's not like they have had any dangerous fascist from there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Does anyone else read this guys posts with Ralph from the Simpsons voice going through their head?

Once before? Do you need everything to be communicated via slogans?

There is 1 data point (last winter) that didn't have vaccines, we have a winter ahead with vaccines, how it goes will let us know if Winter 2022 will be fine, I think it will be, but that the next 6-8 weeks will be tough for the health service, tough on the unvaccinated (as they're still quite restricted) and potentially tough on others if case counts continue to rise and more restrictions are needed (hopefully not).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Don't listen to Pat Kenny that man has lost it. He is looking to go down the Austrian route of locking unvaccinated away, having police check your pass and masking kids over 5. The man should be taken off the airwaves. He is a menace.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

And what happens after that? the cases will rise again after that. This virus is never going away. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Would be good if you could also ignore all the tiresome replies he generates - it's like feeding time at the troll-zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Dickie10

id agree no real benefit to any restrictions now, the virus numbers will just jump again after lockdown is over, HSE needed to get their house in order and they failed, not the the publics problem, let the virus run through population now there pretty close to all vaxxed. might have casulaties along the way but we have to take that. Britain will eventually be out of this soon because there doing things sensibly, pity were not still under their rule.were not fit to rule ourselves were a disaster of a state. 100 years on i think we can say we are a failed state.

Britain has done plenty of things wrong regarding COVID let's not forget

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

While I wish this was the case, we have no evidence yet if someone will be immune to Covid after getting it naturally. It's the same way as you're not immune to catching a flu or the common cold after getting it (common cold is caused by Rhinovirus and Coronaviruses!).

And before anyone jumps down my back, I'm not advocating for any position with this post, simply stating a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Same thing would apply to any vaccine for a coronavirus.

Natural immunity is functionally the same, its just the deliver method that changes (and natural immunity is based on entire virus not just s protein)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

one would hope but we were sold that story with the vaccines too - hence my concern. situations change of course , in a years time the natural immunity from exposure will be greater too and well as the new pills to take.

a jingle to suit my narrative? isn't that every post here since forever? :)

True that but the natural immunity may wain. I dont think we will be in this cycle forever as some people here feel, there'll be more natural immunity, better vaccines, better anti virals (we have antivirals for HIV, flu, shingles etc) but we could have a rough few months.

I'm just glad I'm not a government TD or a member of NPHET who has to make the hard decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yep. I am knocking out Income tax returns as we speak and PUP is adding a few thousand to some people's liabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You'd expect any natural immunity to wane in the same manner as vaccination induced immunity. Its the same immune system doing the work here, vaccination just exposes you to the virus "safely" compared to an actual infection. its not some kind of hack to boost your immune system beyond what it normally does.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

We all new the vaccines weren't a 100% solution but they certainly **** help... We still carry it and transmit it but don't get too sick... the ones that are avoiding the vaccines should be the most afraid... they should probably lock themselves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

“Ireland places hospitals on war footing” is headline news of Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

An even more inconvenient truth. They work many times better preventing serious illness than nothing, which unless people are completely numerically illiterate is obvious from the numbers unvaccinated in hospitals and ICU`s.

Positive tests results are not what is causing a problem for the health service. It never was. It`s the numbers that test positive that require hospitalisation and ICU care.

Very like your user name in fact. The supply may be coming from those testing positive, but the demand for both is coming greatly disproportionately from those unvaccinated. Today we have 643 people in hospital and 118 in ICU, where half those in hospital are unvaccinated and two third in ICU. On a 90% to 10% split of vaccinated to unvaccinated, if all were vaccinated we would have roughly 360 in hospital and 50 in ICU and there would be little or no problem

Oh I know that, sure that's the basis for all vaccines. I was trying to counter the narrative that seems to be in this thread (maybe i'm picking it up wrong) in that we should let it spread unchecked so that people develop immunity through catching Covid rather than vaccines and that somehow this immunity will be permanent unlike a waning vaccine immunity. Maybe I'm picking people up wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

How does €350 a week for 52 weeks add up to thousands in liabilities?

That's at most €18200 a year, 20% tax €3640 tax due, minus tax credits of €3300 = €346 liability. Unless it's some weird case of them earning €35,000 in week 1, then going on PUP and then transfer their tax credits to a spouse. So €17,850 in PUP with 40% tax?

It's a very specific setup and hard to think it's that's widespread.

Advertisement