Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭breadmond

Have any protests been planned for this weekend yet? I haven't gone on any so far but I'm done with the government at this stage, they really need to go after the last week. From talking to people a lot feel the same so I could imagine huge numbers turning out

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Let's hope we're now a step closer to the reopening of indoor hospitality by the end of the July

Still a lot of hurdles

Not a chance in hell. NPHET's will be using the coming rise in cases (not that cases matter now) as an excuse to keep it closed. Indoor won't be open again this year mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

breadmond wrote: »
    Have any protests been planned for this weekend yet? I haven't gone on any so far but I'm done with the government at this stage, they really need to go after the last week. From talking to people a lot feel the same so I could imagine huge numbers turning out
    There is one in dublin city centre saturday @ 12 outside GPO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1410586796111667201?s=20

67% 1-Dose would put us ahead of Israel, the UK and the US and 45% 2-Dose is about equal to the US and the UK. Kind of mad that we still have one of the strictest lockdowns in the western world. You have to applaud the vaccine effort, but it raises the question as to what exactly is the endgame here

Thats kind of astounding to be honest.

As a person who has supported the effort to keep the nation safe for 18 months - I struggle with this.

• Advertisement

breadmond wrote: »

The government along with their media arm have put too much fear and anxiety in the populace for serious numbers to turn up and protest.

Covid is nothing now but a mild respiratory illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah Eamon Ryan.. never disappoints! Still can't believe him and his shower of fantasists are actually in Government again after their performance the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

gansi wrote: »
    Such a good point didn’t some politician say this more or less during the last year that they have to manage their social media profile likes etc. Real downside of social media if likes and shared are all that counts. Would it be a reason why other countries are ahead of us in the reopening not so dependent on social media just a thought could be a factor.

Well the Minister for Health requested an analysis of tweets by the Department of Health to see why he wasn't being mentioned in departmental tweets when others such as Tony Holohan, NPHET, and the Minister for Education were.

In January.

In the middle of the most serious pandemic "hurricane" to date.
    So that tells you all you need to know about his priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭breadmond

TefalBrain wrote: »
    The government along with their media arm have put too much fear and anxiety in the populace for serious numbers to turn up and protest.

Covid is nothing now but a mild respiratory illness.

I hear what you're saying but anecdotally amongst my friends there are a lot who up to this week were happy to stick with the plan but after having the rug pulled out from under us on indoor dining are now genuinely angry in a way that I haven't seen before

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1410586796111667201?s=20

67% 1-Dose would put us ahead of Israel, the UK and the US and 45% 2-Dose is about equal to the US and the UK. Kind of mad that we still have one of the strictest lockdowns in the western world. You have to applaud the vaccine effort, but it raises the question as to what exactly is the endgame here

Just my own opinion - but I think its to get as many fully vaccinated as possible. And thankfully that's within sight.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Nope. Not at all and not the case - it would appear that the general gist of the critics here was that Data was presented to cabinet without that information included or modelled.

Here's just one example

So I'll leave the rest of your comment there as its not relevant

Gozunda:

Has there been a single ban or prohibition on any business, sector, or activity since March 2020 that you have not supported?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Outdoor dining will be a great success with all the rain forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Wait till the pup starts being cut... I also hope the budget reality has to hit from this budget...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

MOH wrote: »
    Well the Minister for Health requested an analysis of tweets by the Department of Health to see why he wasn't being mentioned in departmental tweets when others such as Tony Holohan, NPHET, and the Minister for Education were.

In January.

Well that was because people were listening to the Minister for Higher Education!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

0lddog wrote: »
    Anyone listen to BBC R4 'World at One' today ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000xfgz

Skip to around 18:45

The Brits have finally got it !

You hardly hear any voice like that on the radio here.
    There used to be a few in the beginning.
    I would however, not say the Brits have got it but there is at least a bigger segment occupied with voicing opposition.
    Over here people like that will just be put in the 'fringe bin'.

For flip sake, these idiots are governing us.

Murph85 wrote: »
    Wait till the pup starts being cut... I also hope the budget reality has to hit from this budget...

Yes when people feel it in their pocket , as someone said could we be the next Greece. We are some basket case for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

So the UK which is open (very open) and having mass crowd events is at 67% first dose and 49% second dose with most people having been vaccinated with AZ which is the least effective of the vaccines. (Figures from google today)

Yet Ireland remains closed at 66% first dose and 43% second dose - with many of these vaccinated with more effective mRNA vaccines. (Figures from the Irish Times 3 days ago)

We also have a much lower population density.

Funny how the UK is not overwhelmed isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

TefalBrain wrote: »
    For flip sake, these idiots are governing us.

At least he is awake or just woken up

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

So the UK which is open (very open) and having mass crowd events is at 67% first dose and 49% second dose with most people having been vaccinated with AZ which is the least effective of the vaccines. (Figures from google today)

Yet Ireland remains closed at 66% first dose and 43% second dose - with many of these vaccinated with more effective mRNA vaccines. (Figures from the Irish Times 3 days ago)

The UK is showing the way out of this - and despite a pause to see what delta had in store [pretty much nothing], should be onto full freedom day soon.

Ireland this summer got it badly wrong, those who support every measure uncritically also got it badly wrong.

If you feel compelled to post some worldometers or ourworldindata charts showing how the UK killed all their grannies at a frightening rate.... please don't - its got nothing to do with the current sensible rolling back of social control measures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

When it's put that way, it really shows how good we are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    The UK is showing the way out of this - and despite a pause to see what delta had in store [pretty much nothing], should be onto full freedom day soon.

Ireland this summer got it badly wrong, those who support every measure uncritically also got it badly wrong.

If you feel compelled to post some worldometers or ourworldindata charts showing how the UK killed all their grannies at a frightening rate.... please don't - its got nothing to do with the current sensible rolling back of social control measures

Only graph you need, from the Guardian:

cv-uk10.jpg

MOH wrote: »

In January.

So it’s all just a popularity contest on social media. Pathetic when the country is on its knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Butson

I don't mean to be flippant or rude, but more people probably died sitting on the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So MM is doubling down saying its the correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yup he just keeps digging and digging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

He's not going to say it's the wrong decision...

I mean, it quite clearly is the wrong decision and themselves and NPHET have made an absolute balls of the whole thing but, he's not going to admit it and never will.

He gets incredibly defensive in press conferences if someone pushes him on a very innocent question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Is it true that they decided this at a meeting at 2am ?

Advertisement