Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It’s quite funny that people post Eric Feigl-Ding tweets and expect to be taken seriously.

I have heard if anyone questions him whatsoever he blocks them immediately on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭User1998

So you are saying hospitalisations are not increasing in the UK?

Well obviously they will increase, they are easing restrictions and getting life back to normal. Elderly people being admitted to hospital due to a respiratory illness’s is quite normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They are. 600k tests a day a few weeks ago. 1.2m today

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing

Now there's the answer that lays weight to it being one of the reasons for an increase now, although there were more tests at different times of the year that didn't seem to see such a case increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭brickster69

They are. 600k tests a day a few weeks ago. 1.2m today

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing

Well you know the old covid saying. "If you do not test a lot you do not have a f##king clue what on earth is really happening." :eek:

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hurrache wrote: »
    So you're saying that the highest number in the UK since January is just because they've testing more than they did between January and now?

edit: I see we were helpfully provided with the stats.

Average daily tests in January was c.300k. Today 1.2m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I have heard if anyone questions him whatsoever he blocks them immediately on twitter.
    Harvard had to pull him up very early on for giving the impression that he worked for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Just with the talk of Indian/Delta variants, I was reminded of something from March/April 2020...

People I know and people who I spoke to, were afraid of ordering a Chinese takeaway when they reopened incase they caught the virus :D

Ahhh man...

Average daily tests in January was c.300k. Today 1.2m.

Yes, but around March there were more tests, several hundred thousands more. However there were obviously less vaccinated but they were still in lockdown which may explain why there wasn't an increase in the numbers detected then compared to now, with more vaccinated but less restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got fairly generic emails back from my local TDS (well there assistant's)

This was from Mary Butlers reps

'Thank you for your email.

I personally spent two hours and 15 minutes in a briefing with the CMO yesterday and the information conveyed to me regarding the Delta variant was extremely sobering. I was informed by the CMO that this variant is the most severe and dangerous strain we have seen to date.

The latest indications in England and Scotland are extremely concerning and it is clear that we are now in a race between the variant and the vaccine. While the CMO informed me that we cannot stop the Delta variant, we can slow it down, and we can be reassured therefore by the fact that we have one of the most efficient and consistent vaccine rollout operations in Europe at the present time. This puts us in a great position to win this battle as a country.

During this briefing the CMO also acknowledged the contradiction in the hospitality industry by which a person working a shift in a bar/restaurant on a Monday is prohibited from entering as a patron the following night to enjoy a meal or drink. However, it is far safer for a non-vaccinated 20 year old to be working in an environment within which all of the patrons they are interacting with are vaccinated. This is part of the rationale behind this decision.

It is also important to remember that we have not gone backwards. Everything which has been opened has remained open. We have not gone back to lockdowns or the very strict measures we saw earlier this year.

The Government, in line with expert public health advice, has instead paused the reopening of indoor dining and drinking to allow more time for the vaccination rollout to protect our population and to engage with the industry to ensure staff and patrons are kept as safe as possible progressing toward further reopening. The first meeting with the industry was held yesterday and the Taoiseach was present.

Finally, a lot of people have spent the last year attacking Government decisions on Covid and demanding that we follow other countries. Maybe we should have a bit of perspective.
    If Ireland was like the UK we would have had 4,340 more deaths.

Like the EU Average? 3,243 more deaths.
    The careful approach taken by Government has saved countless lives and we intend to continue adopting a safe approach until the majority of our population is vaccinated to save more lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Fantastic question asked by the guy from Prime Time at the briefing.
    Modelling from Nolan includes a step change in mixing from July 5th.
    Coughlan asked what is the scenario if mixing remains the same as right now.
    Answer:
    Somewhere between the alpha scenario (20,000 cases) and the optimistic scenario (80,000) cases.

Not sure why this was not included in the modelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Got fairly generic emails back from my local TDS (well there assistant's)

This was from Mary Butlers reps

'Thank you for your email.

I personally spent two hours and 15 minutes in a briefing with the CMO yesterday and the information conveyed to me regarding the Delta variant was extremely sobering. I was informed by the CMO that this variant is the most severe and dangerous strain we have seen to date.

The latest indications in England and Scotland are extremely concerning and it is clear that we are now in a race between the variant and the vaccine. While the CMO informed me that we cannot stop the Delta variant, we can slow it down, and we can be reassured therefore by the fact that we have one of the most efficient and consistent vaccine rollout operations in Europe at the present time. This puts us in a great position to win this battle as a country.

During this briefing the CMO also acknowledged the contradiction in the hospitality industry by which a person working a shift in a bar/restaurant on a Monday is prohibited from entering as a patron the following night to enjoy a meal or drink. However, it is far safer for a non-vaccinated 20 year old to be working in an environment within which all of the patrons they are interacting with are vaccinated. This is part of the rationale behind this decision.

It is also important to remember that we have not gone backwards. Everything which has been opened has remained open. We have not gone back to lockdowns or the very strict measures we saw earlier this year.

The Government, in line with expert public health advice, has instead paused the reopening of indoor dining and drinking to allow more time for the vaccination rollout to protect our population and to engage with the industry to ensure staff and patrons are kept as safe as possible progressing toward further reopening. The first meeting with the industry was held yesterday and the Taoiseach was present.

Finally, a lot of people have spent the last year attacking Government decisions on Covid and demanding that we follow other countries. Maybe we should have a bit of perspective.
    If Ireland was like the UK we would have had 4,340 more deaths.

Like the EU Average? 3,243 more deaths.
    The careful approach taken by Government has saved countless lives and we intend to continue adopting a safe approach until the majority of our population is vaccinated to save more lives.

Those last 2 paragraphs didn't come from Mary Butler did they? Find it hard to ever vote for her if she's sending that out.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Those last 2 paragraphs didn't come from Mary Butler did they? Find it hard to ever vote for her if she's sending that out.

Yes it did

Yep will be the doing the same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Scaremongering starting because of cases today.

It's just a shame we cannot correlate the cases with deaths anymore with that such inconvenient data hack preventing NPHET from accessing data for deaths. So unfortunate and inconvenient.

Tony saying we could go back to increased restrictions/lockdowns. Nice one Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

They pick and choose what countries suit their agenda.

It’s all about the Scotland because they are having an increase in cases (that doesn’t translate to hospitalizations) a lot of it down to the soccer, which we don’t have.

They ignore the countries that are doing things that don’t suit their agendas around Antigen testing, indoor dining etc.

They pick and choose what countries suit their agenda.

It’s all about the Scotland because they are having an increase in cases (that doesn’t translate to hospitalizations) a lot of it down to the soccer, which we don’t have.

They ignore the countries that are doing things that don’t suit their agendas around Antigen testing, indoor dining etc.

Colm Henry maintains that the link has been broken both in hospitals and in care homes so we could be heading towards 1,000 colds a day!

Tony saying we could go back to increased restrictions/lockdowns. Nice one Tony.

The media will be thrilled, great headline

They really don't believe the vaccines work, which was something we were promised would get us back to normal faster

is_that_so wrote: »
    Colm Henry maintains that the link has been broken both in hospitals and in care homes so we could be heading towards 1,000 colds a day!

He actually said on Tv

“If enough young people get COVID-19 Delta then someone somewhere will need to be hospitalized”

He’s even acknowledging how utterly rare it is for young people to get sick from this.

Why are they not asked to apply this same level of restrictions to the other aspects of society where people die.

It strikes me that this is all smoke and mirrors to detract from the terrible handling of the 60’s cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1410648738989813761?s=19

They are already moving into "yeah but the schools. We gotta get the schools back. A couple more weeks. #HoldFirm"

If they are so worried about the schools why don’t they vaccinate the teachers.

Then the classes can stay open and any pods that have a positive test can be taken out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RTE.ie headline right now is "IRELAND'S COVID-19 DEATH TOLL REACHES 5,000".

Jaysus! Yes that's the headline because that's the current figure of deaths which has just been released.

And before I'm accused of being an RTE supporter or apologist - no I'm no fan of RTE. I watch very little of their stuff

But I've checked and no they're not making it up you know. On thst issue its difficult to understand getting offended by actual numbers or data which I've seen lately. And akin to the Orwellian suggestion I've seen doing the rounds that the average person can't deal with official covid statistics and therefore they shouldn't be published. Its much the same as stating here's the blinkers, now put your fingers in your ears as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

They seem to be measuring the epidemic now solely in case numbers

They are picking most extreme cases as examples

They mention Israel..... they had few cases and asked people to wear masks again

These lads are dug into this stance and won’t change

We are fecked

I just hope no change on EU cert and will disengage from Irish media social and mainstream as beginning to affect my mental health

It’s nice and sunny out there this evening. We can’t change what these power drunk medical technocrats do, so let them at it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They are already moving into "yeah but the schools. We gotta get the schools back. A couple more weeks. #HoldFirm"

Good grief. We've gone back in time.

NPHET talking about the need to protect the return to schools in September also and that action is needed now to ensure that. This is never ending.

Yeah you have to laugh

Publicans been told now basically 'nope your not opening indoors anytime soon'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Tony on the news just there giving it welly about how deadly this new variant is, scaremongering galore and then when asked about Delta’s new symptoms he says “yes people are experiencing a range of mild symptoms. I’d urge anyone presenting with typical cold like symptoms to get tested”

What do you even say. Actual lol.

They seem to be measuring the epidemic now solely in case numbers

They are picking most extreme cases as examples

They mention Israel..... they had few cases and asked people to wear masks again

These lads are dug into this stance and won’t change

We are fecked

I just hope no change on EU cert and will disengage from Irish media social and mainstream as beginning to affect my mental health

It’s nice and sunny out there this evening. We can’t change what these power drunk medical technocrats do, so let them at it

A couple of pages back, the UK has seen an increase with more vaccinated and less restrictions. People are also picking and choosing what countries they use in arguments on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's hard not to think that there is Authorian leadership in NPHET and someone has lost the plot there with everyone else afraid to speak up.

Every ****ing day lately they are coming out with mad statements wilting away any positivity people had as we were getting to the end of this thing.

Tony on the news just there giving it welly about how deadly this new variant is, scaremongering galore and then when asked about Delta’s new symptoms he says “yes people are experiencing a range of mild symptoms. I’d urge anyone presenting sign typical cold like symptoms to get tested”

What do you even say. Actual lol.

He was quick to talk about the 4200 cases in Scotland today, and failed to
    Mention how few hospitalizations are happening.

Anyone talking about cases now should be cut off.

• Advertisement

It's hard not to think that there is Authorian leadership in NPHET and someone has lost the plot there with everyone else afraid to speak up.

Every ****ing day lately they are coming out with mad statements wilting away any positivity people had as we were getting to the end of this thing.

Ok breathe now! It's a lovely evening out!

Advertisement