Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tony on the news just there giving it welly about how deadly this new variant is, scaremongering galore and then when asked about Delta’s new symptoms he says “yes people are experiencing a range of mild symptoms. I’d urge anyone presenting with typical cold like symptoms to get tested”

What do you even say. Actual lol.

Did he say 'deadly?

I think one of the main things making the government concerned atm is the fact that the Delta variant is known to pose a risk of symptomatic infection for those with just one dose of vaccine but also those with none.

Atm vulnerable groups who are not yet fully vaccinated and remain at significant risk to the severe impact of covid include the 75% of 60-69 year olds and & 46% 50-59 year olds who have not yet received second dose; cohort 7 not yet complete.

That said saw this earier on the types of impact the Delta variant can have on an another wise healthy individual. He was interviewed on Sky but this is the gist of his experience of the illness.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-sky-news-correspondent-enda-24438092

I agree there's no need for scaremongering just a bit of common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Is there any way to know what the vaccine take up was in the under 40's.
    The way they have been talking for the last day or two makes it look like this has less to do with indoor dining and more to do with 'encouraging' the young folk to get the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

bloopy wrote: »
    The way they have been talking for the last day or two makes it look like this has less to do with indoor dining and more to do with 'encouraging' the young folk to get the vaccine.

The 30s age group is currently scheduled for vaccination at MVCs. 20s are next. I'd say most of that type data for those cohorts would not be in yet.

RobitTV wrote: »
    Remember folks - NPHET always know better than the rest of Europe.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1410338765772623876

That's not on NPHET I'd say. It's just complete and utter incompetence/laziness on behalf of the people who should be working to implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Tony denies NPHET is anti Alcohol then proceed to praise himself on his anti alcohol stance then goes off on how the virus loves alcohol with all his anecdotes

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1410640086279000073?s=21

Reporter: Did yours and NPHETs stance on alcohol play any part in your recommendation to keep indoor hospitality closed?
    Tony: Of course not, we didn't even discuss it. *Proceeds to give detailed answer where his stance on alcohol did indeed play a key role and trots out the "virus loves alcohol" line

A comedian is our Tony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Eivor wrote: »
    Emigrate! I was offered a job in Sweden at the start of the week and I’m finding it hard to come up with reasons not to leave this country.

I emigrated 3 and a half years ago, 6 months after getting my degree. Haven’t looked back since. You won’t regret it.

They have planted the seeds of pubs and restaurants closing by the August bank holiday with that independent story. It's inevitable. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

More GAA games been used as 'trial events' this weekend but what is actually been trialed ?

Are they going to check up on every ticket holder a few days after the event to see if they went for a covid test etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The news gets better and better - they are going to spend the next few weeks spreading fear

Link

Irish Independent: Nphet warns of ‘very significant transmission’ ahead of summer Delta wave as restrictions ‘not ruled out’
    Health chiefs declined to rule out further restrictions later on in the summer.
    “We’re going to experience very significant transmission,” said Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭buried

bloopy wrote: »

Went for my first vaccination last Sunday (early 40's) the public health nurse at the centre I went to told me the uptake in my age group was extremely low and there was a lot of N/A's to go with it. I also know 3 men who I work with, men in their mid 30's who have told me they won't be taking any vaccination under any circumstances.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They have planted the seeds of pubs and restaurants closing by the August bank holiday with that independent story. It's inevitable. Very frustrating.

What article?

buried wrote: »
    Went for my first vaccination last Sunday (early 40's) the public health nurse at the centre I went to told me the uptake in my age group was extremely low and there was a lot of N/A's to go with it. I also know 3 men who I work with, men in their mid 30's who have told me they won't be taking any vaccination under any circumstances.

I don't think there is any excuse to not take the vaccine. (Apart from medical condition) If you don't take the vaccine, you have no right to complain about lockdowns. They are a bigger problem than Tony Holohan.

Holohan is becoming increasingly unhinged. He is not in a fit state to be offering any sort of advice.

He's obviously lost the run of himself.

He's actually starting to remind me a little bit of Salazar, the Portuguese prime minister. He had complete dictatorial control over every single facet of Portuguese society for 36 unbroken years.

Unfortunately he then had a serious stroke. The president replaced Salazar with another dude as prime minister. Completely awkwardly, Salazar made a recovery from the stroke.

To avoid embarrassment, and a slide back into authoritarian rule, a nice little compromise was reached: Caetano would continue as prime minister and Américo as president. Salazar, on the other hand, would not be told of the change, and instead would "rule in privacy".

He spent the next two years happily dispensing decrees, signing death warrants, and starting wars, completely oblivious to the fact that the documents were being handed to an aide and thrown in the dustbin rather than sent to the president for implementation.

Two years later he eventually died, believing until his last day on this earth that he was the dictator of Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Presume you've seen who the journalist is ??

The one who's constantly pushing for a soundbite. Would disregard anything she prints.

Notable that Glynn jumped in after to clarify the comments, he could see the headline being written

Christ this new 'immediate big lockdown' will be torture as it will be the same lifting which will be painfully slow. Ffs were not even fully out of lockdown 2

****ing joke

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Christ this new 'immediate big lockdown' will be torture as it will be the same lifting which will be painfully slow. Ffs were not even fully out of lockdown 2

****ing joke

What lockdown ? There's no lockdown. Your making things up again

What lockdown ? There's no lockdown. Your making things up again

The same was said to me many times even very recently when i said indoor pubs won't be opening the 5th July. Feel the plants are been seeded for lockdown 3

(Not having a go at you and don't want to either as always found you honest)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Holohan is becoming increasingly unhinged. He is not in a fit state to be offering any sort of advice.

Covid is Holohan's shot at redemption and by God he's going to use it for all it's worth, even it it means burning the whole country to the ground.

This country is infected with a deadly virus but it's sure as fcuk not Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

NI going ahead with relaxing more restrictions

https://twitter.com/paulcolgan/status/1410627984755724298?s=19

And yet Tony is warning us we may have to have more restrictions because if what's happening in NI, Scotland and England all of which are dropping their final restrictions.
    Meanwhile We won't be opening what they have had open for more than a month.

When he quotes the likes of NI and Scotland as examples I can't believe a journalist doesn't point out these facts to him....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

PTH2009 wrote: »
    More GAA games been used as 'trial events' this weekend but what is actually been trialed ?

Are they going to check up on every ticket holder a few days after the event to see if they went for a covid test etc

The golf today was a trial event supposedly. No covid questions, no temperature tests. Supposed to be masks on the course but very few bothered in the end. Once the first few went maskless the majority did as no one was going to enforce it in wide open spaces. Even though it was a fraction of normal crowd it was amazing to feel some normality again. Great atmosphere there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,528 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Why are some trying to spin that the CMO is somehow unhinged or out of control

Proof? Evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Reporter: Did yours and NPHETs stance on alcohol play any part in your recommendation to keep indoor hospitality closed?
    Tony: Of course not, we didn't even discuss it. *Proceeds to give detailed answer where his stance on alcohol did indeed play a key role and trots out the "virus loves alcohol" line

A comedian is our Tony.

Secondary schools closed apart from leaving cert, 14-15 outbreaks per week in schools as per Holohan's last letter. And we've been repeatedly told that schools are not a significant problem.

7 outbreaks in a week in hospitality. Not even mentioned in the previous letter, where schools were still at the same level. Given that's half the schools number, clearly hospitality isn't a worry.

5000 total deaths (*includes probable and possible deaths. Data updated weekly). Conveniently, this week's total includes the 11 necessary to take the total to a nice round figure that Fírinne can trumpet as their main headline.

- Active cases yesterday lowest since December 21st. Down about 16% over the past month.
    - Six month low for the 7-days case average last week, first time it was below 300 since December 15th.
    - 7-day average deaths below 4 since May 5th. Last time before that it was that low was October 27th

Didn't notice any headlines around any of those figures. Which occurred despite the fact that Delta is now apparently 70% of cases.

If Delta is as big a threat as NPHET are claiming, then a huge amount of the published data is woefully inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Proof? Evidence?

He pointed to what's happening in the UK as possible reason why we might need more restrictions in the future. The same UK that is dropping most, if not all, restrictions from the 19th July. Unhinged is being kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1410648738989813761?s=19

They are already moving into "yeah but the schools. We gotta get the schools back. A couple more weeks. #HoldFirm"

FFS Primary schools only closed yesterday and we are talking about the reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Proof? Evidence?

not sure i would use term unhinged , but he strikes me a a control freak over the past 12 months, his exagerated fear of what might happen is of the charts , given over 50% of the poplulation is now vaccinated , including the very vulnerable who would have been at most risk of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Speak Now wrote: »
    FFS Primary schools only closed yesterday and we are talking about the reopening.

Back to school signs up in the shops tomorrow.

Sponsored by NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

thebaz wrote: »
    not sure i would use term unhinged , but he strikes me a a control freak over the past 12 months, his exagerated fear of what might happen is of the charts , given over 50% of the poplulation is now vaccinated , including the very vulnerable who would have been at most risk of the virus.

Maybe not unhinged he just has a god complex!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Proof? Evidence?

Well this is what Tony’s counterpart in Scotland is saying in the middle of big Delta wave.

Two countries with broadly similar population and vaccination penetration but both CMOs living in different realities.

One is wrong, one is right.

https://twitter.com/drgregorsmith/status/1408382714013683720?s=10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Proof? Evidence?

Our eyeballs

Advertisement