Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭KaneToad

aziz wrote: »
    But not on national television

Is national television sacred?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭aziz

KaneToad wrote: »
    Is national television sacred?

You know damm well it isn’t but do you believe that is a proper way to act

Michael Martin could have made himself the most popular politician in the country by over-ruling NPHETs pessimistic models.

It's like he has the sword of Damocles above his head, multiple times, and begging for it to be released each time.

Bizarre for a politician. Bizarre.

Something tells me that if Varadkar were Taoiseach, he would have taken the politically expedient move.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

That’s sickening

Tony farted I’d say and Philip couldn’t hold it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭KaneToad

You know damm well it isn’t but do you believe that is a proper way to act

Laughing after a press conference is not a big deal. They are public health experts advising the govt on public health matters. Your ire at them is misplaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

Prime time is just embarrassing tonight, basically saying if we open up, it's going to be an unmitigated disaster, sickens me that my parents watch this **** and close to their 80's believe what rte says for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Michael Martin could have made himself the most popular politician in the country by over-ruling NPHETs pessimistic models.

It's like he has the sword of Damocles above his head, multiple times, and begging for it to be released each time.

Bizarre for a politician. Bizarre.

Something tells me that if Varadkar were Taoiseach, he would have taken the politically expedient move.

Varadkar is hurling from the ditch. As Tánaiste he has more room to speculate about easing restrictions. If the govt follow his leaking and briefing he looks prescient, if those decisions turn out bad he knows FF will get the blame (like at Christmas), if the govt follow NPHET he looks brave without ever having his counterproposals tested.

I imagine he's loving it.

Santan wrote: »
    Prime time is just embarrassing tonight, basically saying if we open up, it's going to be an unmitigated disaster, sickens me that my parents watch this **** and close to their 80's believe what rte says for the most part

It is pure dung, who is the fella with the bum fluff on his face banging out facts and figured thinking he is god?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭aziz

KaneToad wrote: »
    Laughing after a press conference is not a big deal. They are public health experts advising the govt on public health matters. Your ire at them is misplaced.

If I thought for one minute that they were laughing at the chaos they have caused for the thousands of children making their communion and confirmations and the grief that the parents are going through,then I wouldn’t be responsible for my actions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

gozunda wrote: »
    You may wish to have a read of this as to modelled outcomes over the next couple of months.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/threat-assessment-emergence-and-impact-sars-cov-2-delta-variant

Interestingly enough vulnerable groups who are not yet fully vaccinated and remain at higher risk to COVID-19 include 75% of 60-69 year olds and & 46% 50-59 year olds have not yet received a second dose and cohort 7 who are yet to be completed

Have you had an oul' read yourself?
    Modelling scenarios indicate that any relaxation over the summer months of the stringency of nonpharmaceutical measures that were in place in the EU/EEA in early June could lead to a fast and significant increase in daily cases in all age groups, with an associated increase in hospitalisations, and deaths, potentially reaching the same levels of the autumn of 2020 if no additional measure are taken.

You do realise that the reference to relaxation of measures in place is a generalisation across the EU?

It's not saying that nowhere in the EU should relax any measure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Where is this clip? Jesus

From about 1:18 here

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1410625910190100480

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Fils wrote: »
    It is pure dung, who is the fella with the bum fluff on his face banging out facts and figured thinking he is god?

I'm sure he's from a family with connections who are all financially secure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

It is so sinister how the messaging is being manipulated by Gov now.
    They took a hiding yesterday and so now they have unleashed the dogs of doom to regain the moral high ground.

We are all doomed, doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Don't worry, we will be having our Pilot Test events then.

It is so sinister how the messaging is being manipulated by Gov now.
    They took a hiding yesterday and so now they have unleashed the dogs of doom to regain the moral high ground.

We are all doomed, doomed.

We are at start of fourth wave

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40327340.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They always do outdoor press conferences?

I assume it’s outdoors as nobody is wearing any masks. Odd that the signer is so close to two other people and none of the three of them are wearing masks do such a long time period. For a group of people who love pontificating, they sure seem to set a poor example.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

MOH wrote: »
    Have you had an oul' read yourself?

I have indeed

MOH wrote: »
    You do realise that the reference to relaxation of measures in place is a generalisation across the EU?
    It's not saying that nowhere in the EU should relax any measure?

I didnt make any statement about that one way or the other. I understand the report is a general one for the whole of the EU / EEA

I believe the pertinent issue was the modelled outcomes with regard to the Delta variant over the next couple of months.So yeah its not just Tony's mad projections or whatever as has been variously suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Talk about deja vu...

A few weeks ago we got responses exactly like that whenever we pointed out all the kites flying for a delay to indoor hospitality. "What kites? There are no kites, conspiracy loons, you are making it up!"

Now we can see the kites for further delays justifed by schools reopening, by flu season approaching, by the dangers of christmas and still all we hear is "What kites? There are no kites, conspiracy loons, you are making it up!"

It is unreal how so many cannot see what is in front of their faces, cannot see what absolute mugs they are being made off by a select few people in power. But there are none so blind as those who do not want to see, same as it ever was.

Read the post I was replying to that said we're going into an immediate Big lockdown. Then read my reply to ask what lockdown and if you want to listen back to the press conference because as usual your one from the Independent got her soundbite even though she was corrected straight after by Dr Glynn, he knows all about it I'm sure because she took his words out of context a couple of months ago as well and ran a headline on it.

So yeah what big immediate lockdown are we going into ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭Allinall

If I thought for one minute that they were laughing at the chaos they have caused for the thousands of children making their communion and confirmations and the grief that the parents are going through,then I wouldn’t be responsible for my actions

Grief?

Exaggerate much?

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    They always do outdoor press conferences?

I assume it’s outdoors as nobody is wearing any masks. Odd that the signer is so close to two other people and none of the three of them are wearing masks do such a long time period. For a group of people who love pontificating, they sure seem to set a poor example.

Nope it's indoors

For a country with the tightest restrictions in Europe we are actually doing terribly in terms of case numbers as the latest ECDC maps show.

2021w25_COVID19_EU_EEA_Subnational_Combined_traffic_0.png?itok=R5_pX.jpgNGu

Look at all those countries with crowds at Euro Matches- all green- meanwhile we can't have matches or indoor activities and we are miles off being greeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I see WHO are "concerned" about the rise in Cv19 cases across Europe and are blaming the Euro matches.
    Will be interesting to see how many hospitalizations lead on from this - not many I'd say, but don't think THAT will be headline news ..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For a country with the tightest restrictions in Europe we are actually doing terribly in terms of case numbers as the latest ECDC maps show.

Look at all those countries with crowds at Euro Matches- all green- meanwhile we can't have matches or indoor activities and we are miles off being greeen.

This will help explain it.

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I'm beyond tired of my fully vaccinated relatives complaining about the virus numbers and the delta variant. Time and time again you try and explain to them that the vaccines are breaking the link between cases / hospitalizations / deaths

But they won't have any of it. They are bitching constantly about the pubs being open and they want them shut for good. They are angry about the summer crowds around the place. "Too many people around it's ridiculous"

They are furious about the football crowds in Europe. They are bitching about the tiny amounts of people travelling abroad. The pubs are getting slaughtered by my relatives. It's all pubs, pubs and pubs.

"The cases are surging in England, this is getting out of control, we need to shut the pubs before the variant arrives"

The media fear campaign has caused this. Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Nope it's indoors

So our medical experts have a press conference indoors for, what was it, well over an hour? No masks and people right next to each other.

Is this not a little odd, to put it mildly?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Given NPHET's "performance" at the start of this week, I would advise taking ANYTHING they say or present going forward with a truck load of salt.

Just like the infamous "worry-o-meter" previously, and Tony's arrogance when even slightly challenged, there is very obviously an agenda at play with them.

I'm "sure" it's pure coincidence that only 2 days after they got their asses handed to them in the media and by the public generally that they've latched onto this new round of "concern", veiled threats of renewed restrictions, and scaremongering :rolleyes:

Whether it's the usual ass-covering to deflect from incompetence, or Tony furthering his anti-alcohol crusade, or just trying to keep themselves relevant after so dramatically shooting themselves in both feet, the bottom line is you can't take anything from them at face value at this stage

Again, I would have thought that was obvious to even the most ardent supporters after this week, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Fils wrote: »
    Quoting from the article:

‘Hospitalisation rates - which had previously been decreasing - have stabilised, raising concern there might be an increase over the coming weeks.

Prof Nolan confirmed that this was the beginning of a fourth wave, but said what was not yet known was how big the wave would be, and to what extent the wave would translate into hospitalisation.

“The two positives are that we are intervening at a point in social reopening contact where most of the contact is modest in size or outdoors so in comparison to other countries across Europe where there are higher levels of social mixing, we may see a smaller wave as a consequence,” he said.’

So there’s no increase yet, but it’s definitely a fourth wave. Oh and their dithering and delaying about easing restrictions may have saved the day and given us a smaller wave.
    It’s puerile stuff at this stage, but will the public buy in and hail them as heroes? Only the next few weeks will tell...
    Holding firm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

So the HSE or NPHET can’t quote death figures for months due to a "cyber attack" that has the system crippled.
    The test and trace is pretty much non existent, but they have this amazing technology that's able to identify the origin of the cases in Waterford and it just so happens to have come from a pub...

Jesus Christ...They're not even trying anymore :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The Brits are going live with it and let it rip through. The impact of the will be felt here. We should do the same given the geographical considerations.

If the health system is not up to scratch, that's not the public's or small business owners fault.

Advertisement