Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Given NPHET's "performance" at the start of this week, I would advise taking ANYTHING they say or present going forward with a truck load of salt.

Just like the infamous "worry-o-meter" previously, and Tony's arrogance when even slightly challenged, there is very obviously an agenda at play with them.

I'm "sure" it's pure coincidence that only 2 days after they got their asses handed to them in the media and by the public generally that they've latched onto this new round of "concern", veiled threats of renewed restrictions, and scaremongering :rolleyes:

Whether it's the usual ass-covering to deflect from incompetence, or Tony furthering his anti-alcohol crusade, or just trying to keep themselves relevant after so dramatically shooting themselves in both feet, the bottom line is you can't take anything from them at face value at this stage

Again, I would have thought that was obvious to even the most ardent supporters after this week, no?

'Project Fear' seems to have worked well for them in the past - will it work now?

Who knows?

The majority of the population have shown themselves to be very easily cowed and controlled - I have no faith in them to see through this very obvious manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I don't think there is any excuse to not take the vaccine. (Apart from medical condition) If you don't take the vaccine, you have no right to complain about lockdowns. They are a bigger problem than Tony Holohan.

Genuinely interested to know why you think that? I’m 36, fit and healthy. If I get the vaccine, I can still catch covid and also still transmit it, please tell me the benefit of taking it?
    I probably will end up getting it and the only reason will be because I feel pressured into it so that I can travel freely.
    And I know of two people both living in the UK, both in there early 30s, one is fully vaxed, one has had first dose, both now have covid, and believe it if not the fully vaxed person is in a it’s state then the single vaxed person, partner of single vaxed person had covid previously and has tested negative this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Btw where are all the posters that were making fun of the ‘doom merchants’ now?
    Gone very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Really getting pissed off with NPHET on antigen testing. What trials do they want to prove they work? Of course its going to pick up less cases than a test that can still pick up cases months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

I don't think there is any excuse to not take the vaccine. (Apart from medical condition) If you don't take the vaccine, you have no right to complain about lockdowns. They are a bigger problem than Tony Holohan.

Well no...

As I said yesterday, my friend had a bleed on the brain some years back. He won't take the AZ vaccine due to one of the rare side effects being blood cloths. He also wants to travel to a country that doesn't accept people who have taken the AZ vaccine. He wants to wait for Pfizer. That's totally understandable

So yes, some people do have a right to complain. It's not all black and white

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Multipass wrote: »
    Gone very quiet.

The attitudes this week, in the face of Tuesday's events, remind me of this classic scene from Star Trek The Next Generation...

You could also substitute that Principal Skinner "am I so out of touch?" scene if preferred!

Footage from the NPHET meeting earlier in the week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5BR8wmYq8c

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Saw part of an interview with the CMO earlier and reading between the lines the real concern is our health service and it’s inability to cope with even a slight up tick in hospitalisations.
    Our hospitals are heaving under the weight of massive waiting lists for non-covid care and this is a huge factor in recommendations on reopening.
    He used a 3% figure in relation to cases translating to hospitalisation. They can cope at 3% of 500 cases, but they can’t cope with much higher.
    I think I remember reading before that full reopening can’t happen until these waiting lists are addressed. We’ve been pumping money into a broken health service for years and now it’s biting us all on the ass.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Saw part of an interview with the CMO earlier and reading between the lines the real concern is our health service and it’s inability to cope with even a slight up tick in hospitalisations.
    Our hospitals are heaving under the weight of massive waiting lists for non-covid care and this is a huge factor in recommendations on reopening.
    He used a 3% figure in relation to cases translating to hospitalisation. They can cope at 3% of 500 cases, but they can’t cope with much higher.
    I think I remember reading before that full reopening can’t happen until these waiting lists are addressed. We’ve been pumping money into a broken health service for years and now it’s biting us all on the ass.

While the € are flowing in for those part of the downfall

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Klonker wrote: »
    Really getting pissed off with NPHET on antigen testing. What trials do they want to prove they work? Of course its going to pick up less cases than a test that can still pick up cases months later.

It's pretty simple. They are the dark horsemen.
    They simply can't stand the idea of normality being resumed.
    Just wait until the removal of masks is being coined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Gone very quiet.

Mod

Focus on posts, not posters. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

For a country with the tightest restrictions in Europe we are actually doing terribly in terms of case numbers as the latest ECDC maps show.

2021w25_COVID19_EU_EEA_Subnational_Combined_traffic_0.png?itok=R5_pX.jpgNGu

Look at all those countries with crowds at Euro Matches- all green- meanwhile we can't have matches or indoor activities and we are miles off being greeen.

Dunno maybe because doing terribly in terms of case numbers we've got restrictions?

or Is it partially because we share an open border with a country euphemistically called "plague island" (by people in the UK)

Or we don't have matches because we're not green and they are - so they do?

Its getting very confudling tbf ..

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

MOR316 wrote: »
    So the HSE or NPHET can’t quote death figures for months due to a "cyber attack" that has the system crippled.

Yet somehow said system worked today on the day we allegedly hit 5k deaths. Some coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Gone very quiet.

We're drinking outside, going to the Cinema and the gym, having meals and generally living our life.

Yet somehow said system worked today on the day we allegedly hit 5k deaths. Some coincidence.

I can't imagine the HSE, NPHET or Tony Holohan ever lying to us...

They don't have a track record of that at all...

hynesie08 wrote: »
    We're drinking outside, going to the Cinema and the gym, having meals and generally living our life.

And brought your laptop with you to check in here :cool:

Respect the hustle

gozunda wrote: »
    Dunno maybe because doing terribly in terms of case numbers we've got restrictions?

or Is it partially because we share an open border with a country euphemistically called "plague island"

Or we don't have matches because we're not green and they are - so they do?

Its getting very confudling tbf ..

To be fair, a big reason for that confusion is the constant goal shifting and selective stats that are being quoted by NPHET to "support" their point.

It would confuse anyone at this stage - even them if the report they presented to Government this week is any indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

What is the story with deaths then?

No data because of the hack and then today a return to reporting them (2 further deaths) but no mention of the last few weeks?

Does this mean these to deaths are the only ones for this period? Or is it a case of only report them when there are some but never report zero deaths in case it’s seen to positive?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

No data because of the hack and then today a return to reporting them (2 further deaths) but no mention of the last few weeks?

Does this mean these to deaths are the only ones for this period? Or is it a case of only report them when there are some but never report zero deaths in case it’s seen to positive?

I stand to be corrected, but I thought I saw an alert from the IT or Indo the other day that around 50 had died in the 6/7 weeks or whatever it is since the last report.

Should be easy enough to work out though. 5000 - last reported number

The problem isn't so much with the money being spent or even most of the staff in the health service. It's those running it and deciding where that money is spent.

Cut out that rot (not that it'll ever happen) and the service would improve almost immediately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    To be fair, a big reason for that confusion is the constant goal shifting and selective stats that are being quoted by NPHET to "support" their point.

It would confuse anyone at this stage - even them if the report they presented to Government this week is any indication.

I was joking ;). But no I don't find the stats confusing or selective. And tbf Information availability is fairly good overall as long as you avoid most of the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

MOR316 wrote: »

Jesus Christ...They're not even trying anymore :D

Sure why bother, the Irish people have made it quite clear that they will swallow any and all bull**** that they are given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Sure why bother, the Irish people have made it quite clear that they will swallow any and all bull**** that they are given.

The tide turned strongly this week. We've done our part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Quoting from the article:

‘Hospitalisation rates - which had previously been decreasing - have stabilised, raising concern there might be an increase over the coming weeks.

Prof Nolan confirmed that this was the beginning of a fourth wave, but said what was not yet known was how big the wave would be, and to what extent the wave would translate into hospitalisation.

“The two positives are that we are intervening at a point in social reopening contact where most of the contact is modest in size or outdoors so in comparison to other countries across Europe where there are higher levels of social mixing, we may see a smaller wave as a consequence,” he said.’

So there’s no increase yet, but it’s definitely a fourth wave. Oh and their dithering and delaying about easing restrictions may have saved the day and given us a smaller wave.
    It’s puerile stuff at this stage, but will the public buy in and hail them as heroes? Only the next few weeks will tell...
    Holding firm here.

But Nolan has those expert models to call upon. How does he not know the scale of this wave? He already presented models ranging from the optimistic to pessimistic so surely he's confident it will come somewhere between those projections.

I wonder is he 95% sure we are already in the 4th wave.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

The tide turned strongly this week. We've done our part.

Indeed, NPHET should have re-read the story of the boy who cried wolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=REWeBzGuzCc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Having the HSE make up the majority of NPHET members may very well be driving the decision making on wanting to clear backlogs etc. This is a great opportunity to take pressure of a creaking system that they have presided over for years.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Yet here you lurk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

gozunda wrote: »
    or Is it partially because we share an open border with a country euphemistically called "plague island"

Never heard anyone using that term.

Is it a derogatory term for Britain atm?

The island with loads of people vaccinated, a rise of cases from very low numbers, but low deaths and hospitalisations?

Probably the safest place in Europe to live right now.

There really are some ignorant people out there.

• Advertisement

Just because going to the cinema for an avengers double bill, then hot yoga followed by a cappuccino outside with cupcakes on the side is your life in General, that is far from general life for the rest of us buddy..

Advertisement