Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How low do hospital figures have to fall before NPHET start calling for tighter restrictions?

Their window of opportunity is slipping, if we keep seeing this consistent decline in numbers they will have little options so they need to act now if they want to meet their goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Tony has said that as soon as a cure for any and all cancers has been found then we can have the pubs open to around 12am but only table service.

If we find the answer to immortality, then they will advise the removal of PCR/Antigen testing to enter the country and if and only if the world achieves its climate goals by the end of next Summer can we possibly not need to wear masks.

God help us all when the shinners get into government to replace this shower but at this stage I’m voting shinners next time out in protest.I’ve no time for Mary Lou or the rest of the army council but to see this once proud country being absolutely destroyed and my childrens futures being subjected to paying for this **** show has left me with no alternative.who’d want their children saddled with this instead of them emigrating and having a life and some prospects

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Sinn Fein would do the same thing, at one stage I heard McDonald criticising the government for not going along with nphet advice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

518 in hospital yesterday, 492 today, that a drop of 26? We're roughly where we were last week as there was an increase on Saturday and Sunday of about 13 each day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

I totally agree with that sentiment. I guess the thing that none of us knows for sure is that, maybe they have considered other metrics and made a decision accordingly ? OK probably not in early 2020 but I can't believe they didn't consider other factors in the later restrictions. Governments by their nature will always be conservative in their approach purely based on the "what if the worst happens" mentality. Its all very well for someone to say we should have done xyz, but government can't really be seen to take a gamble on a populations health, especially with our small capacity. Businesses closing due to the pandemic response can always be played off by politicians as some version of being ".....due to the pandemic and there wasn't much we could do......", whereas lets say 10% or 20% more deaths, could be directly pinned to them in an election if their inaction or recklessness was seen to be the cause. I'm not saying they're right or wrong, but politicians are generally self serving and want to get re elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes, I meant NPHET, sorry, no idea how to edit.

I would like them to address hospital staffing over Christmas.

l would also like a breakdown of the unvaccinated staff redeployments Paul Reid has often mentioned. Which grades / positions have been redeployed from where to where ? Are medically trained staff now doing admin work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Kicking the hospitality sector while its already down is the only purpose of further restrictions. Meanwhile every other aspect of society has and will remain untouched.

I live in centre of Cork City and its dead compared to what it should be like at this time of year. Many people are not bothered going out because of the time and table number restrictions. I watched a person get thrown out of a pub last week because he tried to join a table of 5. There was loads of space but it didn't matter. A bouncer approached and ejected him as if it was a scene from some dystopian sci-fi movie. We are being regulated , controlled and disciplined within an inch of out lives during times that are meant to be sociable and enjoyable.. Its just not fun to go out anymore.

Unfortunately we will never stand up and show resistance to government overreach because people are too afraid of being labelled a right wing anti vaxer. The sad truth is the majority of Irish people are authority loving cheerleaders of government. This explains why so many will turn on their neighbours , family and friends before they turn on their government. Its very sad to witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What other factors?

Bear in mind here, Ireland remained restricted right throughout the spring and summer of 2021. It was not until July 26th when they allowed limited reopening of indoor dining, that was absolutely insane and had no justification worth a damn. Then they promised a full reopening on October 22nd, which was also mindboggingly stupid and was a complete failure to the surprise of nobody.

Certain shills cheered those reopening dates but the "abundance of caution" policy was always **** stupid and plenty of people knew it and said it.

We can't and we shouldn't dismiss this level of incompetence with "decisions are hard".

Other things Mary Lou has criticised government for

• Slow roll out of boosters
    • Lack of clarity on leaving cert
    • Lack of utilising antigen testing
    • Lack of clarity on the 5 level living with covid plan last year (we were mostly on a X.5 plan)
    • How closing pubs earlier will make a difference
    • Lack of clarity from government for businesses in the lead up to the 22nd of October
    • Criticism for noot including testing as part of the Covid pass
    • Not using lockdowns as a way to boost the health service

All the while NI (where her party have partial control) had full gigs, pubs open well past midnight and 100% capacity at sporting events

So she isn't all bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 38,267 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Fun isn't it and a huge mental challenge for a lot of people especially this close to Christmas

Do NPHET know more about this variant than anyone else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

This government must believe that if they close everything early people will return home and go to bed. Wrong. At closing time most groups will just movie from one point to another. And rural and township pubs just close the doors and continue to serve.. It happens up and down the country.

We know by know restrictions aren't going to solve the covid crisis so prolonging them is only a slap in the face for what we already endured for the past two years. . And remember the restrictions are in place exclusively for vaccinated people.

NPHET have a range of expertise on board which I think is part of the problem.

Say for example Colm Bergin and Philip Nolan might suggest we close pubs because our case numbers are going nuts and will continue to do so. Then Colm Desmond might argue against the closure on the grounds of mental health so we get a hybrid where nobody in the country is really happy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

Other factors like employment, the economy, non COVID healthcare.

I don't know whether they got their dates right or wrong, nobody does really without hindsight, its completely subjective and almost everyone will view it through their own, mostly economic, circumstances. People didn't "know" anything was stupid, they guessed, and everyone can have an opinion.

Nobody is dismissing anything because decisions are hard. Just because I've hated every minute of the last 18 months doesn't necessarily mean we got it wrong. No country got it fully right. And even at that, what does "getting it right" look like ? For some it will be their job still exists, for some it will be their social life is back, for some its a parent still alive, for others its a functioning health service. What's a good metric for getting it right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm not sure how the running of the HSE is under NPHET's remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

They know how to make recommendatiosn don't they. Nothing stopping Tony tweeting to say that in light of the massive risk we're facing, all health care staff holiday leave should be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

Just back from a weekend in Liverpool.

No pandemic as far as they are concerned. Place was mental.

Did our tests for the flight home. Actually had everything checked at passport control last night.

Seeing irish people so timid compared to the scousers is kinda eye opening

Bits have a very carry on get on with it view of the pandemic from those I spoke with

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

This doesn't make sense to me. What difference does the source/timing of restrictions make with regard to acceptance?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

It's a common feature worldwide. This isn't just happening in Ireland.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Oh I know. But just because it is happening elsewhere, doesn't make it acceptable or make me any less pissed off that it is happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Let’s hope not too many others think like you then, after the last showing if the Shinners cop on and place even more candidates, with the momentum, the shite job FF/FG are doing and some protest votes it’d end up being a landslide!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,267 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wtf do NPHET and the Government want us to do ?

Numbers going down= more restrictions

It's mental torture

What restrictions? The only thing I'm hearing at the moment from NPHET or government is we need to speed up the booster program

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Well they know more about antigen testing and modelling than anyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Higher percentage jabbed, guard down, greater mixing, less social distancing therefore more spread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

Are the present government to blame for failing to foresee the arrival of Omicron? Arguably they might be to blame for the poor performance of the HSE in some respects, but nothing I have heard from the Shinners indicates that they would have a clue about this aspect of the problem.

You say you have no time for Mary Lou McD but would vote for her in protest. Not a very coherent stance and it shows that anger is a bad guide to reasonable action.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

March 2020 was a no brainer and 2,000 people in hospital meant the case was very easy to make back in January. It's a different story now with such a high level of vaccination plus the costs we have racked up from the supports. Another one now is almost beyond NPHET's pessimistic capabilities and would have a negligible effect on a very fast spreading variant.

Advertisement