Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

rusty cole wrote: »
    Just because going to the cinema for an avengers double bill, then hot yoga followed by a cappuccino outside with cupcakes on the side is your life in General, that is far from general life for the rest of us buddy..

I imagine they are engaging in coitus also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    To be fair, a big reason for that confusion is the constant goal shifting and selective stats that are being quoted by NPHET to "support" their point.

It would confuse anyone at this stage - even them if the report they presented to Government this week is any indication.

Indeed, we went from "doing well", "positive indications" to that letter on Monday with absolutely nothing in-between from NPHET.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭hynesie08

rusty cole wrote: »
    Just because going to the cinema for an avengers double bill, then hot yoga followed by a cappuccino outside with cupcakes on the side is your life in General, that is far from general life for the rest of us buddy..

Ah, comic book movie and hipster cliches, you've been living in the dark so long noones told you it's not 2014 anymore.....

Do avocado toast and craft beer next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Ah, comic book movie and hipster cliches, you've been living in the dark so long noones told you it's not 2014 anymore.....

Do avocado toast and craft beer next.

Such a shame they can't order it indoors...

Like you said they would be able to...

Oh well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Jizique

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I stand to be corrected, but I thought I saw an alert from the IT or Indo the other day that around 50 had died in the 6/7 weeks or whatever it is since the last report.

Should be easy enough to work out though. 5000 - last reported number

9 in June I think I heard; and RTÉ had the temerity to say 5k “possible and probable” deaths so in fairness it is just a bit of a made up number, like when they started adding the 6 county deaths to make it sound more threatening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

We're drinking outside, going to the Cinema and the gym, having meals and generally living our life.

That's it might as well get on with living and in 4 weeks I'll be in Lanzarote, dining in, dining out with hopefully no complications, maybe a few nite clubs haven't looked into that yet.

Then mid September over to see Liverpool in a packed anfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Never heard anyone using that term.Is it a derogatory term for Britain atm?The island with loads of people vaccinated, a rise of cases from very low numbers, but low deaths and hospitalisations?
    Probably the safest place in Europe to live right now. There really are some ignorant people out there.

Well no - I've seen it used on social media by people in the UK.

For example this tweet which I came across earlier in the week

https://twitter.com/claire3638/status/1409496229059383300?s=20

A quick search shows its use isn't uncommon at all there.

Heres an earlier instance...

https://twitter.com/Russian_Photos/status/1351183949226266624?s=20

And I doubt all those there using it are "ignorant people". But if that's a personal swipe - it doesn't really cut mustard tbh.

Edit: interestingly enough - the BBC noted it trending on twitter last year as other countries blocked travel to / from the UK.
    Monday 21 December: 'Plague Island' starts to trend

By Monday, France had also closed its border for 48 hours, meaning lorries and cars were turned away from the port of Dover.

The rest of the world then also began to socially distance from the UK. In fact, "Plague Island" was soon trending on Twitter.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-55395937

MOR316 wrote: »
    Such a shame they can't order it indoors...

Like you said they would be able to...

Oh well...
    I'm happy you were right and I wasn't.

Although, I'd be thinking of other things rather than some faceless stranger on Boards.ie

Glad to see you're still not thinking about faceless strangers on boards......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭uli84

It’s all a bit odd, last year this time noone was vaccinated and there were barely any cases, this year, lots vaccines and 400, where are they pulling those numbers from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

mightyreds wrote: »
    That's it might as well get on with living and in 4 weeks I'll be in Lanzarote, dining in, dining out with hopefully no complications, maybe a few nite clubs haven't looked into that yet.

Cousin just back from puerto del carmen, said it was the same as ever but the life had been sucked clean out of the place.

Beverly Hills, California

mightyreds wrote: »

See, that's the spirit, I'm heading over to London for a show in August, then a gig in September, then I'm looking at heading back to the states in a few months. It's so much more fun than sitting at home inventing scenarios, getting mad at them and refusing to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

that clip earlier was truly bizarre where tony is asked is this based on him being anti-alcohol - should be the first thing Vintners go to Leo with. He basically said - "of course its not anti-alcohol, I mean i am well known to be anti-alcohol myself and successfully brought in anti-alcohol laws but me targeting only the pubs has nothing to do with that, BUT its well known fact people can't behave themselves when drinking"

still just going off what this man thinks people will do or what may happen. anyone who has been in a hotel will attest you are pretty much with the 6 people you are there with at your table, you aren't going over to random tables slobbering all over people and are expected to wear masks when not at table. most people also aren't stumbling around like they've had 10 jaegarbombs in coppers drinking at table until 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

This whole situation is maddening and the lack of leadership from our government is the most galling of all. I've followed the rules during the whole thing, got vaccinated as requested, worked from home and paid taxes etc etc. My wife works in a hospital and has been in work as normal too. We are doing all we can to support others and this country.

After the multiple lockdowns, and juggling with home schooling and working at the same time (with the guilt of dumping my kids in front TVs and consoles, effectively ignoring them for 8 hours a day as I HAVE to work!); I'm ready to give up! I am exhausted of it all and tired of this circular existence. What's the point of all of this effort? We get the numbers down, they are then not low enough. We get the hospital numbers down, both beds and ICU. Still not enough.

Now, as the health care system struggles with normal numbers (excuse given by HSE and NPHET), we cannot consider that numbers of COVID cases could rise again without an understanding of what numbers we can cope with. But we were told that cases where not the metric any longer as the link between numbers and hospitalisation had been broken by the vaccine effort. Yet, here we are with panic from our "leaders" over potential case numbers. Examples of Scotland being used to justify the partitioning of our society (young and old - vaxed and the unvaxed); yet, at the same time, Scotland plan to continue opening up. THEY are not panicking over the numbers vs hospital cases; I guess we are on their behalf. Generous to a fault it seems!

Dr Holohan continues to work the room and the media channels to double down on his viewpoint. I should say his facts as, after all, they are using some sort of scientific basis for their assertions. However, these models have been wrong in the past and we have not backtracked and accused him of lying. Yet, his calculations cannot be questioned (you can but he is not really interested) nor his opinion of the place of antigen tests to support return to normal cannot be queried, even though they are being extensively used in Europe to manage risk.

However, whatever you say about NPHET, they are just advisors not governors. Sadly, they do speak to the public in a manner that would suggest that they make the decisions which is not the case; however, the elected government should address this approach and make it clear what their role is, but that would require a spine and/or leadership which is sadly lacking.

I should bring my rant to an end! I'd just like to refer to the stats in the UK which may support why they are not locking down when case numbers would suggest that is the very thing they should do. This has been taken from The Guardian today:

557338.png

Screenshot 2021-07-01 at 23.04.25.png

I guess the 3rd wave in the UK is bedded in, but it does not seem to be causing anywhere near the impact as before. I wonder if anything has changed like the odd vaccine or two?

Overall, we should at least enjoy the freedoms that we were given by our masters and take advantage of the 19th July travel easing but we should not forget come next Election Day. Nor should we accept a healthcare system that is very well funded but fundamentally failing our people in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

JRant wrote: »
    Indeed, we went from "doing well", "positive indications" to that letter on Monday with absolutely nothing in-between from NPHET.

That's not even the first time Tony has pulled that stunt.

Glad to see you're still not thinking about faceless strangers on boards......

Ah sorry, I couldn't help it :D

You dished it out to so many, to the point of saving posts, to try and ridicule people. It's only fair you get it back :D

Ah sorry, I couldn't help it :D

You dished it out to so many, to the point of saving posts, to try and ridicule people. It's only fair you get it back :D

It is what it is, win some lose some, then someone twists your words into something you didn't say........

I'm glad you're happy thousands of people are still out of work so you could score points on the internet.........

Like that......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

For a country with the tightest restrictions in Europe we are actually doing terribly in terms of case numbers as the latest ECDC maps show.

2021w25_COVID19_EU_EEA_Subnational_Combined_traffic_0.png?itok=R5_pX.jpgNGu

Look at all those countries with crowds at Euro Matches- all green- meanwhile we can't have matches or indoor activities and we are miles off being greeen.

Jesus, that's a very disturbing graphic.
    I don't know how I've never seen it before, but the Baltic Sea looks very much like some kind of seal/pelican hybrid pointing towards the East.

The numbers are also pretty depressing.

It is what it is, win some lose some, then someone twists your words into something you didn't say........

I'm glad you're happy thousands of people are still out of work so you could score points on the internet.........

Like that......

Difference is I didn't twist your words though :)

Relax, no need to get arsey about it...If you can't take it then don't dish it out to other posters :)

I actually agree with your post in response to someone else. It's great you're trying to live life as best as you can. As am I, despite the losses the last 17 months has dealt me. You can't stop living or trying to live, regardless of what those tossers in power say or try to do.

Having looked at every post on this thread over the last couple of days, I now have an image I can't get out of my head.

After a long day of smashing cherished small local businesses into the ground, forcing young people to emigrate and destroy families, and taking the livelihoods of hundreds of thousands of people, Dr Holohan arrives back at the home built for him by the taxpayers of Ireland who've given him over a quarter million euro in salary since the start of the pandemic (no €350 a week for Tony!).

The porch light is on. He opens the porch door and carefully bolts it, keeping the world, and the virus out. He opens the front door, flicks on the hall light, and steps out of his shoes into his slippers. The front door clicks shut. Tony is home.

He glances to the wall as he strolls through the hall, and on it hangs a cherished piece of crochet. It says, simply, "thanks from Sadcon".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

See, that's the spirit, I'm heading over to London for a show in August, then a gig in September, then I'm looking at heading back to the states in a few months. It's so much more fun than sitting at home inventing scenarios, getting mad at them and refusing to live.

Yea you’re right- get out of here if at all possible. Even for just a week. What is the story? Come 19th July we “can” travel and if vaccinated no PCR tests anymore?

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    What is the story? Come 19th July we “can” travel and if vaccinated no PCR tests anymore?

Who knows...

Get better communication from smoke signals than that lot.

I'd just go tbh. **** it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Who knows...

Get better communication from smoke signals than that lot.

I'd just go tbh. **** it

My understanding is that's EU policy and the donkeys here struggle majorly to go against it. Despite how much they obviously desire to keep perpetual restrictions for us little people

road_high wrote: »
    My understanding is that's EU policy and the donkeys here struggle majorly to go against it. Despite how much they obviously desire to keep perpetual restrictions for us little people

Just go.
    They can't stop you.
    If the EU law is you must have a vaccine or negative test (not sure of the details) to travel, then no Garda, no Government, no NPHET can stop you!

I'd love to see MM explain that one to the EU leaders. Would he get defensive and give short answers then?

Phishnet wrote: »
    Depends, there could be a new covid hybrid virus in Ireland by that stage. You know, one that is based on truth but also lies.

Oh God...

I hope I'm alive for the fallout from this. Make no mistake about this, Leo Varadkar will throw NPHET under the bus when this is over

Oh God...

I hope I'm alive for the fallout from this. Make no mistake about this, Leo Varadkar will throw NPHET under the bus when this is over

I wasn't a fan of Leo's speeches when he was Taoiseach, but as a strategist, I must admit he's crafty out.

I wasn't a fan of Leo's speeches when he was Taoiseach, but as a strategist, I must admit he's crafty out.

Surely there was inside betting going on with those speeches.
    "Will he or won't he mention the line from The Dark Knight?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

MOH wrote: »
    Jesus, that's a very disturbing graphic.
    I don't know how I've never seen it before, but the Baltic Sea looks very much like some kind of seal/pelican hybrid pointing towards the East.

The numbers are also pretty depressing.

In fairness I think we are testing at 10 times the rate of other EU nations. So will naturally find more cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Like or hate him, they seemed to have some clarity in aims and objectives at least.

Poor MM seems like a deer in the headlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Having looked at every post on this thread over the last couple of days, I now have an image I can't get out of my head.

After a long day of smashing cherished small local businesses into the ground, forcing young people to emigrate and destroy families, and taking the livelihoods of hundreds of thousands of people, Dr Holohan arrives back at the home built for him by the taxpayers of Ireland who've given him over a quarter million euro in salary since the start of the pandemic (no €350 a week for Tony!).

The porch light is on. He opens the porch door and carefully bolts it, keeping the world, and the virus out. He opens the front door, flicks on the hall light, and steps out of his shoes into his slippers. The front door clicks shut. Tony is home.

He glances to the wall as he strolls through the hall, and on it hangs a cherished piece of crochet. It says, simply, "thanks from Sadcon".

:D very good. You should continue with the fiction writing - I think you have a real talent there ;)

Though tbf - I think you may just be just a tad jealous that someone isn't thanking your posts :pac:

Advertisement