Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Like or hate him, they seemed to have some clarity in aims and objectives at least.

Poor MM seems like a deer in the headlights.

I must agree. MM even makes Boris look like an effective leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I must agree. MM even makes Boris look like an effective leader*.

*Checks. Thats a definite no ....

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

mightyreds wrote: »
    That's it might as well get on with living and in 4 weeks I'll be in Lanzarote, dining in, dining out with hopefully no complications, maybe a few nite clubs haven't looked into that yet.

Then mid September over to see Liverpool in a packed anfield.

My parents are there right now in Puerto del Carmen. Said you wouldn't even know covid existed over there apart from a few of those crime scene stickers and tape in a few shops. Enjoy it. I'll be heading over on the 28th for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

In fairness I think we are testing at 10 times the rate of other EU nations. So will naturally find more cases.

Where are you getting that from ? Denmark are testing 80,000 people a day in a population similar to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

My parents are there right now in Puerto del Carmen. Said you wouldn't even know covid existed over there apart from a few of those crime scene stickers and tape in a few shops. Enjoy it. I'll be heading over on the 28th for a month.

Thx that great to know enjoy, I am heading for aug and sept will be fully vaxed love the place was there last dec and jan
    Sorry there was 5k deaths, but its doing the round to scare us WTF

• Advertisement

So now that NPHET and the government are going for broke on this fourth wave, using the most hysterical language possible (biggest hurricane that Ireland has ever faced and all that), what happens when….nothing happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

So now that NPHET and the government are going for broke on this fourth wave, using the most hysterical language possible (biggest hurricane that Ireland has ever faced and all that), what happens when….nothing happens?

Same old bull****...
    Tony comes out with the usual spiel of, "This is due to the compliance of the Irish people who have done so much during all of this and who have been there with us all the way" to be followed by, "but we're not there yet!"

Lost count at how many times he's said that over the last 17 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

The Brits are going live with it and let it rip through. The impact of the will be felt here. We should do the same given the geographical considerations.

If the health system is not up to scratch, that's not the public's or small business owners fault.

The really sad thing is that, with all the borrowed money we couldve doubled the HSE hospital/clinic capacity last year, protecting and separating the Covid19 fr hospital patients w the extra advantage of ending the yearly trolley problem and provide actual jobs.
    We didnt as we went w lockdowns, sit tight and wait for the storm to pass..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MOR316 wrote: »
    Same old bull****...
    Tony comes out with the usual spiel of, "This is due to the compliance of the Irish people who have done so much during all of this and who have been there with us all the way" to be followed by, "but we're not there yet!"

Part of his good cop, bad cop routine.

Angry one day, patronising pat on the head the next.

MOR316 wrote: »
    Same old bull****...

Except this time, as per the Independent headline today, he says “we are powerless to stop it”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Jaysus, even Shane and Mark on NT are finally starting to ask questions about the messaging and strategy.

eskimohunt wrote: »
    It's worth emphasizing that, even with vaccines administered, a cohort of the population remain vulnerable.

For instance, people with:
    • immunocompromised states
    • rheumatoid arthritis - or states which require corticosteroids (drugs that suppress the immune system)
    • cancer
    • HIV/AIDS
    • Crohn's disease / ulcerative colitis
    The above is quite a lot of people in the population. Even if any of the above were to take a vaccine, it may be too weak to trigger an immunological response - meaning these patients are still susceptible to severe disease post-vaccination.

Of course, this impacts the elderly, too - many of whom do not respond to vaccines as effectively, and who may be comorbid with other serious diseases.

So, whilst vaccinations are highly effective, we must accept the consequence that many people will still die or experience severe disease as a result of this infection.

Now, that doesn't mean we should delay re-opening. To the contrary, we should advance re-opening as fast as possible (irrespective of what fearmongering nonsense NPHET conjure up). We must learn to live with the virus in the same way the above populations live with the risk of other viruses that permeate society.

But it's worth considering or acknowledging that, even in a fully double vaccinated population, the above risks still exist for the populations listed above (and some others, not listed).

amen.
    It seems Ireland is willing to sacrifice the healthy population and economy in order to protect the vulnerable, the ones likely to be the most cautious.
    That caution will protect them but yes, some will suffer, some will die.
    Some of the relatively healthy people will also get (long) Covid19.
    It seems the UK is prepared to take the hit for the sake of the country as a whole, though their initial Delta nrs were much higher so the impact of multipliers idem ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1410698656261476355?s=19

The UK CMO agrees to lift ALL restrictions this moment. Meanwhile our one wants us primed for another lockdown that we never came out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

The UK CMO agrees to lift ALL restrictions this moment. Meanwhile our one wants us primed for another lockdown that we never came out of.

I'm gobsmacked. Arrived into work this morning and tbh the Tony show from yesterday has freaked out a few of the lads. And then to see this tweet? Wtf is going on?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

You know what happens, the same thing that happened when the predicted spikes from Mother’s Day, Paddy’s Day, Easter didn’t happen.

They didn’t happen because of the actions of NPHET and the slacked jawed yokels lap it up, oh yeah, omg thanks NPHET, then they log on to boards saying “things that were never said” all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Saw part of an interview with the CMO earlier and reading between the lines the real concern is our health service and it’s inability to cope with even a slight up tick in hospitalisations.
    Our hospitals are heaving under the weight of massive waiting lists for non-covid care and this is a huge factor in recommendations on reopening.
    He used a 3% figure in relation to cases translating to hospitalisation. They can cope at 3% of 500 cases, but they can’t cope with much higher.
    I think I remember reading before that full reopening can’t happen until these waiting lists are addressed. We’ve been pumping money into a broken health service for years and now it’s biting us all on the ass.

We have massive waiting lists in part due to an overlong lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm gobsmacked. Arrived into work this morning and tbh the Tony show from yesterday has freaked out a few of the lads. And then to see this tweet? Wtf is going on?!!!

As another poster said yesterday while referring to Scotland. Two cmo's, but only one is right, time will tell which one it is.

Just to add though, Tony will be right even when he's wrong. So many issues with governance and messaging at present and I firmly believe his personality is contributing to a majority of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

the kelt wrote: »
    You know what happens, the same thing that happened when the predicted spikes from Mohers Day, Paddy’s Day, Easter didn’t happen.

They didn’t happen because of the actions of NPHET and the slacked jawed yokels lap it up, oh yeah, omg thanks NPHET, then they log on to boards saying “things that were never said” all the time.

I’m not so sure. Holohan has repeated how this is unstoppable and will devastate all of Europe. He really is is playing with the houses money on this one.

Scotland is the region to watch over the next 4 weeks, with broadly similar population and vaccine rollout it should be an accurate predictor for how devastating, or not, this delta wave will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

What's Tony's vision for us?

If he says it can't be stopped, but we know the vulnerable will be fully vaxxed in the next couple of weeks, who is left to be admitted to hospital and ICU? Even the young groups will be getting the vaccine soon.

The risk of the younger groups getting sick from this is low. Some do yes, but more will be admitted and will die for reasons other than COVID.

So are we just to wait for it? I'm 29 and work in a customer facing retail job. If Tony is right, I'm gonna get it. Fair enough.

The device to read them will be a phone, so yes it's perfectly possible to deploy quickly. The system is in place for EU travel, there are no major additional technical hurdles to overcome here.

Open app, display QR code valid for 5 mins, code is scanned by another app by person on door to say it's valid, then off you go. Simple.

Donnelly said yesterday that the system will go 'live' on july 19, whatever that means.
    It could go smoothly but i wouldnt bet on it. I see a bottleneck situation occuring w travellers all wanting their Cert at the same time. System crashes,overwhelmed. Goverment sorry but cant be helped.
    I talked to my brother in Holland. Their system went live on july1 like every other EU country. He could download his code that very day.
    What are the chances of Ireland doing the same on july 19?

• Advertisement

I’m not so sure. Holohan has repeated how this is unstoppable and will devastate all of Europe. He really is is playing with the houses money on this one.

Scotland is the region to watch over the next 4 weeks, with broadly similar population and vaccine rollout it should be an accurate predictor for how devastating, or not, this delta wave will be.

It doesn’t matter, he could say that if we opened up COVID will cause the sun to dance across the sky for 3 days followed by plagues of locusts for a week and when It didn’t happen the same people will say, “see didn’t happen because we didn’t open up” just like Tony said.

I know it’s nonsensical answer but so many people are so far far gone at this stage when even they sit in front of a tv watching the rest of Europe getting on with things and the uk planning to fully reopen in 3 weeks it doesn’t even register with them to ask “why?”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Ballynally wrote: »
    Donnelly said yesterday that the system will go 'live' on july 19, whatever that means.
    It could go smoothly but i wouldnt bet on it. I see a bottleneck situation occuring w travellers all wanting their Cert at the same time. System crashes,overwhelmed. Goverment sorry but cant be helped.
    I talked to my brother in Holland. Their system went live on july1 like every other EU country. He could download his code that very day.
    What are the chances of Ireland doing the same on july 19?

I have flights booked for September and I'm half worried it won't be operating properly at that stage.

Is it just me or is the latest HSE/Government "there are better days ahead. We can do this" radio ad even more infantile and patronising than their "hold firm" nonsense?

Then they wonder why people don't care anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the latest HSE/Government "there are better days ahead. We can do this" radio ad even more infantile and patronising than their "hold firm" nonsense?

Then they wonder why people don't care anymore.

The most rage inducing one yet IMO is "#ForUsAll"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wow. Presumably there will be about 8 million dead by this day fortnight.

Ronan Glynn interview on NT now. Same old nonsense from him. "Long Covid" even mentioned :rolleyes:

Stumbled when asked about the actual level of risk of hospitalisation to young people.. "you don't want to be the exception though" was basically his response.

It's absolute nonsense and hysteria from supposed "experts". I am genuinely at the point where I couldn't care less about his (and his colleagues) crying wolf to try and keep themselves relevant at this stage.

Saw part of an interview with the CMO earlier and reading between the lines the real concern is our health service and it’s inability to cope with even a slight up tick in hospitalisations.
    Our hospitals are heaving under the weight of massive waiting lists for non-covid care and this is a huge factor in recommendations on reopening.
    He used a 3% figure in relation to cases translating to hospitalisation. They can cope at 3% of 500 cases, but they can’t cope with much higher.
    I think I remember reading before that full reopening can’t happen until these waiting lists are addressed. We’ve been pumping money into a broken health service for years and now it’s biting us all on the ass.

So become one of the most restricted countries in the world because of COVID which causes waiting lists.

And remain under restrictions because of those very waiting lists.

So restrictions in perpetuity, and the nutters getting another prediction right of restrictions on society being used for other things apart from COVID

Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Archeron

funnydoggy wrote: »
    The most rage inducing one yet IMO is "#ForUsAll"

I like the "if I could catch it in a jar" one. Every statement in that ad applies equally to Guinness farts as it does to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Got fairly generic emails back from my local TDS (well there assistant's)

This was from Mary Butlers reps

'Thank you for your email.

I personally spent two hours and 15 minutes in a briefing with the CMO yesterday and the information conveyed to me regarding the Delta variant was extremely sobering. I was informed by the CMO that this variant is the most severe and dangerous strain we have seen to date.

The latest indications in England and Scotland are extremely concerning and it is clear that we are now in a race between the variant and the vaccine. While the CMO informed me that we cannot stop the Delta variant, we can slow it down, and we can be reassured therefore by the fact that we have one of the most efficient and consistent vaccine rollout operations in Europe at the present time. This puts us in a great position to win this battle as a country.

During this briefing the CMO also acknowledged the contradiction in the hospitality industry by which a person working a shift in a bar/restaurant on a Monday is prohibited from entering as a patron the following night to enjoy a meal or drink. However, it is far safer for a non-vaccinated 20 year old to be working in an environment within which all of the patrons they are interacting with are vaccinated. This is part of the rationale behind this decision.

It is also important to remember that we have not gone backwards. Everything which has been opened has remained open. We have not gone back to lockdowns or the very strict measures we saw earlier this year.

The Government, in line with expert public health advice, has instead paused the reopening of indoor dining and drinking to allow more time for the vaccination rollout to protect our population and to engage with the industry to ensure staff and patrons are kept as safe as possible progressing toward further reopening. The first meeting with the industry was held yesterday and the Taoiseach was present.

Finally, a lot of people have spent the last year attacking Government decisions on Covid and demanding that we follow other countries. Maybe we should have a bit of perspective.
    If Ireland was like the UK we would have had 4,340 more deaths.

Like the EU Average? 3,243 more deaths.
    The careful approach taken by Government has saved countless lives and we intend to continue adopting a safe approach until the majority of our population is vaccinated to save more lives.

Well at least you got a reply. i emailed my TD Emer Higgins who I voted for in the last election and didn't even get an acknowledgement. That's the last time she will be getting my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ronan Glynn interview on NT now. Same old nonsense from him. "Long Covid" even mentioned :rolleyes:

Stumbled when asked about the actual level of risk of hospitalisation to young people.. "you don't want to be the exception though" was basically his response.

It's absolute nonsense and hysteria from supposed "experts". I am genuinely at the point where I couldn't care less about his (and his colleagues) crying wolf to try and keep themselves relevant at this stage.

it's funny, people who are anti-vaxx or vaccine hesitant are lashed out of it for the very same logic.

Advertisement