Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

paw patrol wrote: »
    it's funny, people who are anti-vaxx or vaccine hesitant are lashed out of it for the very same logic.

I agree.
    As far as I can see the main people now at risk are those 60+ waiting on the second dose of AZ. Open the centres 24 hours a day and get those done and let's reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ronan Glynn interview on NT now. Same old nonsense from him. "Long Covid" even mentioned :rolleyes:

Stumbled when asked about the actual level of risk of hospitalisation to young people.. "you don't want to be the exception though" was basically his response.

It's absolute nonsense and hysteria from supposed "experts". I am genuinely at the point where I couldn't care less about his (and his colleagues) crying wolf to try and keep themselves relevant at this stage.

When you hear long covid thrown out you really know they are struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1410698656261476355?s=19

The UK CMO agrees to lift ALL restrictions this moment. Meanwhile our one wants us primed for another lockdown that we never came out of.

Its very hard not to advise young people that the best thing they could do for their future is to move to the UK, a place that unlike Ireland actively wants to take the pandemic noose off their neck.

Ireland has made it quite clear that it doesn't give a **** about its kids, if it wanted to intentionally sabotage their futures it couldn't have done that any better than it has in recent years.

Now the kids look at a place that is a world apart in terms of intent and energy to get something done. Yes Brexit was a cluster**** and a huge mistake but the UK never hid under their beds in the same fashion as the cowardly Irish have, they have always been pumping to get going again and I think a lot of young people will see that and desire that.

Yet again I can see another huge brain drain of our youth emigrating and going to places that will give them better opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,526 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Both Minister Donnelly and Deputy CMO Dr Ronan Glynn coming across well on morning ireland this morning.

Well briefed, giving clear responses, acknowledging frustrations but remaining hopeful and confident

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ballynally wrote: »
    amen.
    It seems Ireland is willing to sacrifice the healthy population and economy in order to protect the vulnerable, the ones likely to be the most cautious.That caution will protect them but yes, some will suffer, some will die.
    Some of the relatively healthy people will also get (long) Covid19.It seems the UK is prepared to take the hit for the sake of the country as a whole, though their initial Delta nrs were much higher so the impact of multipliers idem ditto.

How do you work that out? The aim is to get as many people vaccinated here by the end of August as possible.

So no there's no "willing to sacrificing the healthy population" in any plan here. Maybe you have mixed up countries or something.

The UK is a basket case of flip flop policies with Boris promising just anything to stay in power. He promised British people they could would be all free to go on holidays anywhere they liked in May and look how that's worked out. Take a look at social media over there if you think things are better or that people are not seriously pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I agree.
    As far as I can see the main people now at risk are those 60+ waiting on the second dose of AZ. Open the centres 24 hours a day and get those done and let's reopen.

To be honest I don’t believe that people have any faith any more that even if we get those vaccinated it will make any difference.

I don’t, if I’m being honest, not after what’s gone on this week where anything can be just thrown out there with proven incomplete data that no one even wants to get verified and just taken as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I agree.

From what I can tell, and made more clear the last few days. Nphet in particular the cmo don't want to open up for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Looking at the developments of the last two weeks, ff the end goal here isn't zero covid, and we were told it isn't, what is it then?
    Does anybody among the 'men in high castle' actually know at this stage?

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Both Minister Donnelly and Deputy CMO Dr Ronan Glynn coming across well on morning ireland this morning.

Well briefed, giving clear responses, acknowledging frustrations but remaining hopeful and confident

Not how he (Glynn) came across on NT anyway. Same old nonsense they've been peddling for months.

As I've said before, we're actually worse off in many ways than we were this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Is it just me or is the latest HSE/Government "there are better days ahead. We can do this" radio ad even more infantile and patronising than their "hold firm" nonsense?

Then they wonder why people don't care anymore.

“We can now see the light at the end of tunnel…it’s just beyond the unstoppable tsunami of death that is about to devastate the country.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

In fairness I think we are testing at 10 times the rate of other EU nations. So will naturally find more cases.

That’s not correct.
    The maps on this page show testing rates and positivity rates. We are middle of the road in testing.
    Denmark for example is testing about 600,000 a day and has a similar population to us.
    Most of the green countries test more than us and have their poisitivity rates below 1%

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/situation-updates/weekly-maps-coordinated-restriction-free-movement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

the kelt wrote: »
    To be honest I don’t believe that people have any faith any more that even if we get those vaccinated it will make any difference.

I don’t, if I’m being honest, not after what’s gone on this week where anything can be just thrown out there with proven incomplete data that no one even wants to get verified and just taken as gospel.

Can't argue with that. I'm just disillusioned with the handling of the the whole thing. This is the same crowd who went against nursing homes restricting access to visitors at the beginning of last year. No critique of their performance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Why are people still being allowed to drive motor vehicles, given the near certainty that 'someone somewhere will need to be hospitalized'?

Surely we have established that this is the metric by which we are assessing risk in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Why are people still being allowed to drive motor vehicles, given the near certainty that 'someone somewhere will need to be hospitalized'?

Or cycle, or rock climbing, or swimming, or almost every other thing people do.

Everything in life involves some level of risk. The thing we seem to have forgotten is the essential need for personal responsibility and decision making based on our individual assessment of that risk to our wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Surely we have established that this is the metric by which we are assessing risk in this country?

Why bother even leaving the house. Always a risk of death

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭Allinall

We haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

walus wrote: »
    Looking at the developments of the last two weeks, ff the end goal here isn't zero covid, and we were told it isn't, what is it then?
    Does anybody among the 'men in high castle' actually know at this stage?
    The end goal here is herd immunity, or as close as we can get to it.

Once we've topped out the number of people who can and will take the vaccine, there won't be any choice except to move on with our lives.

This will obviously come with some requirement to have controls on inbound travel (since vaccination everywhere will not be evenly spread), and may also include some ongoing level of control in high-risk environments such as nursing homes and hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

According to the ECDC:"the 14-day notification rate is between 75 and 200 and the test positivity rate is less than 4%" (orange list)
    That is where Ireland is at the moment.
    We are still on the orange list and ok to travel (green/orange as opposed to red, dark red).
    14 day rate has been creeping up to 100+ but test positivity rate steady week on week at around 2.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Or cycle, or rock climbing, or swimming, or almost every other thing people do.

Everything in life involves some level of risk. The thing we seem to have forgotten is the essential need for personal responsibility and decision making based on our individual assessment of that risk to our wellbeing.

I think as a nation though we are more fearful of risk compared to other nations than we realise, and covid is bringing that to the surface.
    You tell someone in Ireland you ride a motorbike and they nearly recall in horror at how dangerous it is or can't wait to tell you some story about their uncles neighbours friend who was killed or seriously injured off one back in 80s or whenever. Now look at the UK and rest of Europe and the volume of motorbike/scooter riders, people don't give it a second glance.

Anyway, its ot but I think it can explain how so many are happy to lap up the fear and hysteria being spread by media and 'the experts'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Heard Ronan Glynn say on Newstalk this morning that we're currently running at 10 Covid hospitalizations a day. How can this be when the hospital numbers have been pretty steady for a few weeks now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Why bother even leaving the house. Always a risk of death

Falls down stairs account for a surprisingly large number of injuries/deaths each year. Not safe at home either.

Heard Ronan Glynn say on Newstalk this morning that we're currently running at 10 Covid hospitalizations a day. How can this be when the hospital numbers have been pretty steady for a few weeks now?

He's either lying or the hospital data provided by the HSE is lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Falls down stairs account for a surprisingly large number of injuries/deaths each year. Not safe at home either.

Staying in bed might be the best option then except that people die in bed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0617/1228811-delta-variant-ireland-philip-nolan/

Interesting read going back in time.

So this unbelievably dangerous, hugely transmissible hurricane is in the country already at this stage some 11 weeks plus and……

More so some 11 weeks ago the uk had 60% of its cases being the delta variant and with indoors hospitality open, crowds at matches etc etc have seen what upsurge in deaths and hospitalisations again?

Sure they had more vaccinated by then but compared to the % we have vaccinated now??? Sure aren’t we the best little country in the world for getting our arms jabbed so we are!

So I will leave it one quote from the piece.

It remains a black cloud, but the data provided indicates it is a thankfully one a little smaller than many had thought. At least for now.

This was a week before the “greatest hurricane ever appeared on the horizon” well in Ireland anyway and nowhere else it seems.

Do even the most loyal defenders not look at this and think, here hold on a minute, let’s just ask a few questions of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    He's either lying or the hospital data provided by the HSE is lies.

Or the recovery rates are such that the numbers remain static, its really beyond a joke the lack of any logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭Allinall

Roughly the same amount of people will be discharged each day as those admitted, if the numbers remain steady.

So 10 hospitalizations, and 10 discharges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

With the youngest population in Europe and our rate of vaccine take-up, one would imagine Ireland would be the first county to see a return to full normality.

Instead we are lagging way behind, crippling our economy and building up a mountain of debt.

Maybe some journalists would like to ask few questions about this if they can find a bit of time away from the constant fear-mongering and hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I would imagine based on Uk data that hospital stays are extremely short now due to age and vaccination. 24 hours is average stay in Uk now so maybe we are experiencing the same revolving door effect here keeping the numbers steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

"Well briefed, giving clear responses" are never sentences that you can associate with that pair.
    Try "And once again Glynnn and donnelly have lied and and spoofed their way through another interview".

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    Roughly the same amount of people will be discharged each day as those admitted, if the numbers remain steady.

So 10 hospitalizations, and 10 discharges.

According to the HSE dashboard of the people being admitted to hospital in the last 2 weeks there was only 1 day where 10 or more were admitted to hospital. Some days it's been as low as 2 and average around 6. Glynn is spoofing or else the HSE is lying.

Advertisement