Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

A bit like when I used to go to the winter league on the east coast, some guy's would hang a decoy trace off their tripod baited up with lug tipped with mackerel and in reality they're catching the fish on sandeels, because they have their real trace in the bucket.....I hear you . I like your observation, I love a good metaphorical observation...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It was disgusting and then swiftly moves onto a funking gardening segment 😡

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Yes your right and I think that’s were the mistakes are been made. I am double jabbed and will be going for the booster. My kids wear their mask in primary school although I don’t think it’s right my child’s class happens to have two children effected by the mask wearing one hard of hearing . I was all for restrictions in the beginning within reason and if sensible and effective.

However this type of last minute stupid restrictions just to be seen to do something is not exceptable . I’m not against the restrictions or vaccination just don’t like the way it’s been enforced and disproportionately spread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is my first Christmas home, I actually came home a few months ago because I had a feeling Christmas might have something of a curveball to it...And here we are.

I know there is more to life than pubs, but it is part of the Christmas buzz, you meet your mates and then others as you all gather, that will be done now. When I heard this I thought "sure, we can get food and maybe a cinema trip in", so you can imagine my heart when I heard that they are all in the same sinking ship.

I am actually thinking about moving home next year, I live abroad and have done for a few years. I would be one of the lucky ones where i WFH and also in the tech sector. My career hans been effected much if at all, so my heart bleeds for those who really are hit hard by this, it is not how it should be, especially this close to Christmas.

Ultimately it is the panic that will cause more issues. Some pubs probably won't open at all over this, so there is a large lump of people with no income, and all within 1 week of Christmas.

No doubt, those in power think they are doing the "right" thing, it is quite the opposite in the long run. It also puts a pin in their hopes of reelection, all these measures do is rile people up who will then look for an alternative.

I still hope we can have a good Christmas, I know now that mine will consist of social gatherings in houses, and this is all to do with the pubs closing. A joke.

• Advertisement

Don’t think this isn’t all pre-planned by the government leaking the latest restrictions with NPhet. They don’t want to shock people completely.

Nphet recommended 5PM but government will announce 7PM making it look like they are doing us a favour so less backlash towards them.

Nah, Leo and MM have already agreed 9pm (in my humble opinion of course)

They'll spin it, we're not closing sectors (whilst biting lips) avoid any supports , feck off on their extended Christmas break, blame big bad NPHET and not give a flying Toss

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I'll put it this way. I'm due to be getting married in late March 2023, thinking we'd be over the worst of this shite by then. Now the niggle of worry is starting to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

I hope MM brought his Seamus Heaney book to Brussels as some relevant quotes will be needed later. I suppose he could always ring Biden for one if it came to it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The best thing we could all do is not get the booster shots as way of protest - we were told we`d vaccinate our way out of this earlier this year.

Here we are Christmas 2021 and probably going to be in the same situation as Christmas 2020....whats the point in having us all boosted when being fully vaccinated means f**k all and when an un-elected individual on a power trip can over rule the government in a single letter to the Minister for Health.

Even if we all get boosters despite what they are telling us we could be in some form of restrictions for the first six months of next year.

There really is no point in keep sticking vaccines in our arms when there is no end in sight.

• Advertisement

Its absurd. It really is.

I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how to arrange a protest or any of that jazz, but surely to **** someone more versed will be organising something. Most have stayed away from protests for fear of being branded some sort of anti-vax, far-right, gemma o'doherty supporting loon, but I think the tide is turning with regards to peoples patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It also puts a pin in their hopes of reelection, all these measures do is rile people up who will then look for an alternative.

Does it really though, given the election is likely over three years away, and all major parties have been largely on the same page when it comes to managing the pandemic?

Michael Martin has accepted all prior restrictions from NPHET.

Why would he diverge from their advice now, especially when NPHET is using phrases such as "exceptionally concerned" about Omicron. **

9pm would be too risky, NPHET will argue, because it would increase the probability of house parties etc. Martin will fold his hand, and head straight to that damn podium to patronise and condescend to us once more about how great we are as a people, about how we can get through this together by summoning the spirit of Saint Patrick, and how better times are ahead.

** For anyone interested in facts and optimism and real-life and that kind of thing; yesterday was the lowest number of hospitalisations since mid-October.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm due a booster tomorrow. Why am I getting it?

Restricitng access or closing early in most country pubs is ridiculous where they might have 15 regulars is just plain and utter stupid.

Id actually rather they brought in 20KM travel limit than this opening and closing shite in your own locality.

NPHET think every pub is a night club or something.

Just limit the pubs to seating capacity only.

• 5 o’clock closure effectively means lunchtime trade only. That would be an absolute killer, and as for “events”, only the afters of funerals could be catered for; that is if any numbers are actually to be allowed attend, which looks to be a likely restriction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It is another issue to add along with housing and healthcare over all.

All other parties can say what they want, but they aren't in power so that gives them a little edge. They don't have a say in these restrictions, they can say and preach that from up top.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I disagree with the new restrictions but I do understand their reasoning (Omicron cases are rising and will outpace the delta decline very soon and impact hospitalisations) even if I disagree.

Do you not see the same thing?

Talking about cult followers (I have seen very few on here agree with what's being proposed) doesn't really add much to the conversation as you're not actually creating a coherent argument other than "outrage" (which a lot of other posters on here manifest at the drop of a hat anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Quags

Major reaction to this news which is good to see, people may be finally seen what a shitshow NPHET are making of this but I think the Gov will play the uno reverse and keep pubs open till 8/9pm so save some face. But apart from the pub news the likes of the pictures/theatres closing at 5 also is a disgrace, from when I last read the data there was no major outbreaks from any of this sector

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭foxsake

this is interesting cos it really proves the vaccine pass was nothing more than a sham designed to coeirce people into getting the vaccine.

no basis in reality .Some knew this but we are seeing the manifestation of that policy now.

so those who got the jab for the finer things in life , like the kids who took it for the niteclubs - lied too and played.

Don't get mad at me - Get angry at the government and the opposition , get out there protesting and hammering your TDs with emails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You queued up as instructed and put masks on primary school children.

Masks on little children. You know its wrong and you did it anyway.

You enabled all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I thought gov went against nphet last Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭shockframe

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

my internet is and was fine, even the trucking lobby didn't support the protest.

anyway, nobody has said restrictions will end covid, that is just you perpetuating what you wanted to have been said from something that never was because you are refusing to deal with the reality that restrictions are about limiting spreadability/virus spread.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Listen I unlike you I guess took into consideration what the kids wanted to do. My kids are happy to be doing what their friends are doing so no harm done they didn’t want to be sitting as the only ones in their class. And who said they were little kids primary goes right up to 6th class remember.

I wasn’t going to be the type that forces something onto the kids if they didn’t want it. But then I’d say your probably the type that instructs their kid not to wear the mask and makes them out to be the different one in school just because your sticking it to the man whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I got mine last week, if I was due to get it tomorrow I wouldn't turn up.

I will never take another booster after this.

But don't let me talk you out of it, please do what you think is best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This doesn't show that at all, the unvaccinated will still be more restricted whatever extra restrictions come in because (and this is always true) they put a disproportionate amount of pressure on the health system compared to the vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don't think SF will make a major issue in the GE campaign, assuming it's still a few years away; their record is not sufficiently different from the government's to make it a big vote winner, and voters are interested in what you can do for them today and tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Quags

If you want to get it and feel it protects you then do it.

Advertisement