Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

They have an ability to spin the negative from anything. All stick no carrot is right. Could they not come out and say..."reports from SA & to a certain extent Denmark, show this variant is indicating it doesn't appear to cause as much hospitalizations. If this holds true to our country, we'll start unwinding the restrictions, especially the ones just introduced last week asap...."

Power of positivity

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And the thing is, many people don't realise this and play into it completely. Like the texter to NT a minutes ago complaining about people in Dundrum Town Centre going into shops unmasked and not being challenged by security (oh nooooes!) :rolleyes:

Healy of course, being the good boy he is, suggests this is a uniquely Dublin thing and people should get with the programme.

That's enough "independent" radio for me today I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The only thing missing from the RTE interviews this morning was Mull wine, Mince pies and the sounds of Christmas crackers being pulled in the background , I wonder was there bottles of the strong stuff handed out to the guests on departure , vomit inducing gentle probing of CMO and Leo 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The problem with NPHET and how they are driving outside of their lane too much is that they are giving very specific "guidelines" to government. It has become normalised that NPHET will give very specific rules to go by such as close pubs at 5pm.

What their role should be would be that NPHET meet, they discuss situation and places where we can reduce transmission. They go to government and say "we have seen a lot transmission in hospitality*, you might want to look at introducing measures in this aspect".

(*Even though there is no data to suggest this)

That's how they should be communicating. Not "close your pubs at 5pm". Their role is to advise, not to instruct.

Government should be giving NPHET a template to work off, something that they cannot deviate from. Highlight all of the key areas of society. Tell them to rank their concern out of 10 for each of them. Then average it out for the 40 or so people involved in NPHET. This prevents Holohan from going on solo runs or dictating to NPHET to implement what he wants.

So they implement a regular report. NPHET give their specific ratings. Caveat notes are given and the specific member of NPHET highlighted for what the say. It also needs to be full viewable to the public. Holohan then goes to meet the government to discuss the report. Then after that he has to sit infront of a public accounts committee to be quized on their findings.

It keeps Holohan in check. It ensures that nobody is running NPHET as their own personal fiefdom. And if government want their opinion on specific things, then they will ask them.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't expect anything else from RTE but we have NO mainstream outlet (TV, radio or press) that is willing to actually ask real questions and properly challenge the likes of Holohan and Leo. It's all softball questions and/or letting them talk unchallenged for lengthy periods.

Of course, this was guaranteed with the revenue being made by these stations/outlets through HSE/Government Covid-related advertising (like those disgusting RSVP and "glad you stayed away" ads), plus the fact that many of these "journalists" ultimately aspire to moving up to be a staffer for the same TDs they're "interviewing". The Fourth Estate has been long since bought and paid for in this country.

As I said yesterday, this is the sort of thing we used to criticise tin-pot dictatorships or Communist states for, and yet here we are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Very sad to hear of your daughters friends. I hope she gets through ok.

Fwiw, Dr Holohan is a public health doctor and AFAIK, they are the doctors that are said not to be great at clinical decisions hence going into public health. He seems very risk averse since having made an enormous blunder at the beginning.

Worth contrasting Paddy mallon, actual hospital doctor, and Holohan.

We've three under 10 and I personally feel that the restrictions are bonkers, eroding community spirit and joy in life. Might be worth writing to your TD s over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Just listened back. Take away line - NPHET don’t seem to be taking a Christmas break. Presenter was as bad trying to push for a lockdown.

But of Course RTE will be taking a break, Claire Byrne seems to have left the building already (not a bad thing)

Our supposed objective national Broadcaster will vacate the building for two weeks, presenters, Alledged correspondants will all be on an extended sabbatical for two/three weeks, god bless their cotton socks.

The timing of the latest restrictions perfect, little or no news coverage, absolutely no probing and scant information for the next three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Shocked the hear religious services are exempt from the 8pm restriction on indoor gatherings. What is the science behind this?

Can't go to a concert or the cinema but can go to mass! This is a moral judgement not a scientific one. Sharia law Irish style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Leo talking about a future based on periods of freedom has me more scared then of the virus itself. Shocking commentary.

There is restrictions for confessionals, strictly one at a time 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

What's the science behind any of the restrictions starting today?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wouldn't be surprised if he only agreed to go on when he knew Ciara wasn't there. She's been one of the few vocal critic's on the media the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Reducing the total time of people being in close contact, I think but that really doesn't explain cinemas and theatres and why things get nasty after 8! Easy pickings and choosing something the government might agree to is my scientific explanation.

I have a feeling if that was the case then Shane would have gotten the interview. That Sinead who was on though was ridiculous - asking if people should be telling family/friends to do antigen tests before they meet this weekend and saying she does it in her household.

The sad thing is I would well believe her given her tone over the interview/PR piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Newstalk is an embarrassing station.

Shock jocks and nonsense.

That's how money is made these days though. Get a misleading quote or say something controversial on rhe radio. The rags online run with it for clicks. People get outraged and post on boards, more clicks clicks clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Who cares as long as the sheep can’t get enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Steveimitation

His comments lately have been disgraceful. I just can't understand why this isn't being screamed from the rooftops.

Are people just becoming too drained or numb to care?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Christmas week and Christmas things going on in people's heads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Do you have a link to this? Isn’t this when the effigies and torches are supposed to come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Bit of the pot calling the kettle black imo.

I`m not "very much pro NPHET". What I am is very much pro off is a Government listening to the advise on public health from their own appointed board of experts in their field and giving it consideration, same as they give consideration to all other areas effected by this pandemic, and making the balanced decisions they see as appropriate.

I have asked you what is this power you believe Tony Holohan has over this Government and you point to Twitter, where he has less followers than even Simon Harris, and making public appearances giving interviews, which it now appears was based on one Late Late Show appearance. If that is the basis of your argument then Niall Horan from Mullingar has a much greater psychological hold over this Government than Tony Holohan.

You may not be as you claim obsessed with Tony Holohan, but with this belief that he has some psychological power over this Government that is totally dictating their decisions it is not far off quite a few here who obviously are. They may indeed be frustrated with Government decisions, but attempting to lay the blame for that on Just Tony Holohan because he is CMO is as nonsensical as believing that Jaap van Dissel of the Netherlands, a country that just introduced restrictions much harsher than here, is totally responsible for all decisions there in regards to this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Extraordinary comment. Will do more damage to people's state of mind than any lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

They're too busy beating down the doors of the vaccination centres to be listening to the news, you know, so they can get boosted and comply their way out of restrictions 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

You can’t possibly still believe this Charlie. You’ve been saying the same **** for nearly 2 years now. Remember when Glynn told us on the Thursday that we were fine to stay at level 3 and Holohan kicked in the doors a day earlier than he was expected and “recommended” level 5? And got it? Explain that to us please. He showed us all that day that he is in charge and he doesn’t give a fcuk even if he humiliated his own second in command to get the point across. He is an absolute disgrace.

I too would like a link to this.

Language such as this is unacceptable and I shall be emailing my local TD's expressing such views if I can verify what was said exactly.

If this is indeed what was said or suggested then this needs urgent rectification or Ireland truly is no longer a free society (though I suspect as much).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Will end only if enough people speak out. Highly unlikely in ultra compliant Ireland.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Thank you, I am writing an email to my TD's as I type here (I have four arms :) ).

On a serious note, this is unacceptable, though, not surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,267 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Advertisement