Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

But what happens on January 11th if Omicron doesn't lead to as many hospitalisations as Delta would have? That is what the data would suggest at the moment even without vaccines or boosters

My worry is that Scotland and Wales have today announced stricter restrictions than what we will have after Christmas and BJ is suggesting the same is coming around the corner for England... Something which won't sit well with our fearless leaders

Some other reason will be concocted.

Let's not forget that we had the most severe restrictions in Europe, even during the height of summer when cases were negligible.

If NPHET are willing to impose or maintain restrictions at the safest possible period of the pandemic, there's not a chance in hell that NPHET will recommend easing restrictions on 11 January.

I could be wrong, but NPHET precedent suggests otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I'm done with the conversation about Covid, restrictions, Holohan, Nphet. Nobody is able to think with nuance not in the real world anyway, everyone is just like NPC's parroting the good boy and girl lines. There is nothing more jarring when someone says Holohan and Co. are "experts" as if their expertise extends into all areas. But we have such a cult of authority and genius(not saying Holohan is regarded as a genius per se but in a meritocratic world he has risen to the top of his game for most lay people) that if you put doctor on front of your name people will just assume you have a domain of every field and have no blind spots. Make no mistake about it we all have blind spots, we will see by the end of the decade just how consequential on the global economy and society these restrictions turned out to be. We will never fortunately or unfortunately know the alternative history. What is true is that lives have been upended because of this pandemic and that was going to be true no matter what policy we pursued. That's a humbling thought that there was no good answer just less wrong ones. At the end of the day its not just the Irish Government or Nphet, they're just nice fall guys to vent out frustration. It's idealogy shared by most countries it seems and we reap we will reap what we sow or alternatively look back at a decisive time where the power of monetary policy was used to safeguard citizens as best we could and signal the dawn of a golden age for our globe.

Last thing, in defence of the NPC's I think they just have a get on with it mentality which is probably better for their sanity. It's already a tough time, no point fighting a revolution from your bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Probably the wrong place to be if you are done with conversations about Covid!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The complete and utter bunkum is that this Tony Holohan living in your head is some Svengali that is able to exert his will over 31 other members of a board to get the recommendations he wants, and then do the same to a Government cabinet made up of three different political parties to just rubber stamp and enact these recommendations. Svengali on his best day could only manage that with one young girl, and even then he had to use hypnosis.

Chris Whitty and Jaap van Dissel are taking up the same amount of space in my head as Tony Holohan, none whatsoever I mentioned them because for your theory on Tony Holohan being some super Svengali then the other two lads must be the same.

• Advertisement

It really does not matter that much if it is just those that want a vaccine get it when it comes to combating this virus worldwide. What matters is the critical mass that is required do so worldwide are willing to take it. That did not happen in Romania. If it had then they would not have had vaccines to sell. The same applies to Africa. What country is going to take the chance of sending their booster shots to some country where months later they have not been used while deaths may have increased by them not using the vaccines for their own population.

It matters a lot. There are many many people in the developing world want vaccines but can't get them which is a ticking bomb for variants

I have no idea what that is about other than you perhaps replying to the wrong poster.

I could not care less if African countries, or for that matter any other country, wants to change their "attitude" as you term it to this virus or not. My point was that if this "attitude" means large numbers have no intentions of availing of the vaccines then there is not much point in countries sending their booster shots somewhere they will not be used.

If they wish to rely on their tribal traditions instead best of luck to them. Those tribal traditions stretching back millennia haven`t come up with a cure for any virus that I know of, so I would not bet the house on them doing so with this one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Elitist and racist in one post, one fears the death rattle of the Irish 'liberal' is getting obnoxiously loud.

Well if they do then a shortage of vaccines is not the problem in South Africa.

Less than a week ago the deputy director-general of their Dept of Health Dr.Nicholas Crisp said that they have plenty of vaccines and that hesitancy was the problem. Health ministry official have asked Johnson & Johnson as well as Pfizer to delay deliveries because they have too much supply at present.

• Advertisement

You have a serious problem with comprehension if that is what you took from that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Well,them Tribal Traditions might be as good,if not better than hi-tech Israeli Vaccines......https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/1221/1268079-israel-covid-latest/

A Health Ministry 😂 expert panel 😁 recommended the fourth shot, a decision that was swiftly welcomed by Prime Minister Naftali Bennett as "great news that will help us overcome the Omicron wave that is spreading around the world."

Mr Bennett said: "The world will follow in our footsteps." 😜

The decision follows the first known death in Israel of a patient with the Omicron variant.

An Israeli hospital today confirmed the death but said he had suffered from a number of serious pre-existing conditions.

Oy Vey It's getting to look like a right Eurovision contest between the Izzies and Ourselves for the scardiest cat trophy !!!

Give me the Tribal Cure's anyday......

Surely to Haysoos,somebody MUST start stating the Bleedin'Obvious at this stage .....somebody...ANYBODY....🤯

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

That has yet to be proven....unless,God between them and all harm,some entity such as the WHO,SAGE,CDC or ....NPHET ! decide that the African continent needs to be forcibly vaccinated whether they actually have it or not !!!

Nah...surely not ??......MMmmmmmmmm No..could'nt happen....could it ? 😯

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

And the best of luck to you with the Olde Tribal Cure as well if that`s what rocks your boat.

On their past record I would not be too confident in them being any more successful against this virus than they have been with viruses with much lower mortality rates than this one

I don't have your up to the minute worry meter endorsed omicron mortality rate - but I suspect in many cases and 'on their past record' they have actual problems that need helping with - something thats been largely ignored for two years in favour of chasing jabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭acequion

Charlie, do please go and read up on the psychology of group dynamics, the psychology of personalities within a group and inter connecting groups and the subtleties and complexities of power. You might be surprised by what you learn. You might even discover that yes one person can manage to exert his will over many others especially when he's a major authority figure. To claim that such does not happen is either naivety or ignorance.

If you are a believer in Ye Olde World Traditionals being a magical cure-all , whatever problems I may have fade into insignificance when compared to your own

Im talking about access to water, food, and education on a reliable basis - god knows what you are continuing to blather on about.

Will you stop. If you posted in the conspiracy theory thread that you believe Tony Holohan is some sort of super Svengali that can bend 31 other members of a board, many of them experts in their field, into accepting unchallenged his recommendations, and then have a Government cabinet made up of three different political parties do the same and just rubber stamp them without question, you would be laughed out of the place.

It`s utter nonsense. Do yourself a fair. get out and about and get some fresh air into your body and Tony Holohan out of your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭acequion

Sigh.😭 Like I said earlier, impossible to debate with you. Ironically you display the same intransigent attitude that you claim doesn't exist in decision making. Maybe you need to go to spec savers to see things more clearly. 😊 Anyway good night.

• Advertisement

And I have no idea what you are on about either. Education, water and food in Africa would help in the long run to an extent, but they are not going to achieve much in preventing the spread of this virus in the short to medium term. But there are many other problems in Africa and elsewhere other than just those three when it comes to vaccine hesitancy and indeed other issue such as population growth.

We have been pumping money into those three for decades in such countries and there is no great discernible changes.It`s just rinse and repeat.

How is it even possible to debate with someone that believes someone is a super Svengali that can bend all and sundry to his will.

It`s like debating with someone who believes Star Wars is a documentary.

That's where our comments differ, I talk about vaccines making a change for the good while you're caught up on forcible vaccination

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The African situation is a whole lot more complicated than people not wanting it. The have massive logistical problems as well and enormous issues with testing and protective equipment. The rich world seeing donating vaccines as their work done doesn't help. Only the French have made any efforts beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBF, most people would see the vaccines as necessary or useful, although the likes of France have unapologetically used coercion and others are threatening it. Requiring Boosters 1 and quite possibly another more beyond that to be a full part of society is fast heading for coercion. The absurdity is that countries are using what is widely declared as not being a magic bullet, as said magic bullet. They are of course aided and abetted in this by academia following the research money to back up that strategy with studies, money that could be a lot more useful by being spent on finding out more about the virus and ways to unlock its mysteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Are you actually trying to convince us that every single member of NPHET is in absolute agreement with everything they come up with? That’s astonishing. The vast majority of them are just nodding dogs that will go along with whatever the Boss says. They are just happy to keep trundling along on huge wages and not rock the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sister and her husband and kids insisting on travelling to Ireland from Birmingham tomorrow. I’ve made it clear they need to book into a hotel and follow the guidance re testing over the coming days.

the husband and older kids in particular are cavalier regarding covid - their choice.

Me and our family have absolutely no intention of meeting them in person until we are fully sure they are not covid positive. She’s not happy but hey ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Advertisement