Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I believe approx. 25% were already in hospital for another reason when they tested positive. I'll see if I can find the source...

A quarter is enormous.

That would be the equivalent of 98 people today in hospital with the virus, but who are being treated for some other medical condition.

It would translate into 298 people in hospital with an active COVID-19 infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You're spot on here.

The nonsense of going looking for a problem when there is no symptoms or ill effects is just bizarre - as much as idiots proudly declaring their vaccination status to anyone and everyone.

It really has become like a religion... follow the edicts even though they don't make sense and you know it, but still turn up at mass proclaiming the faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If you are serious which I have serious doubts about I really worry for you and your parents.

Based on what you have said everyone is vaccinated and or boostered and your sister is following all recommended advice.

Covid is not going away so I assume your parents are happy to never see the grand children ever again.

My mother used to talk through the window to my child during the first lockdown when we thought this virus was dangerous to everyone.

When she finally decided to forget about the advice and tried to have a hug after months apart My child wouldn't go near her when before Covid they were inseperable.

She broke down in tears and said that was more painful than Covid could ever be and vowed never to stay away again.

When sent home from school for a cough and I told her not to babysit on one of the days she does she nearly attacked me.

I just don't understand how any elderly person would rather hide away lonely without being with family than enjoying life while they can still live it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

When I posted that Rolling Stone article earlier in thread,it was with a sense of dread.

This entire thing should have been wrapped up and done with 12 months ago,but,for reasons yet to become known,the Authorities Worldwide decide to keep the thing rolling.

I wonder why ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

A lot of them don't want to hide away - most of that older generation have a far more copped on/get on with it attitude and know that either way they should be making the most of the time they have left with family.

The problem is their kids and the need to told what to do by "their betters" or be validated by peers and social media that many of them have - hence "I got the vaccine" shyte or texting/ringing radio stations to complain about others.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,469 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not commenting on Beechwoodspark now in this comment.

I do feel Covid has led to abuse with in relationships for one but also elder abuse by people isolating there parents, relatives away, taking over there pension, shopping, etc and being in complete control of there finances. Now they maybe taking money or they may not be but there's also the potential to for them to isolate the person from everybody and eventually get there property, finances when the person dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

I'm as pissed off as anyone with the restrictions. Our country has failed completely in our strategy on covid. We locked down basically all 2020 in the hope a vaccine would come. H1 2021 lockdown 6 months will get more vaccines. pitiful attempt some opening july - oct. We then decide to ooen for a few weeks, realise the vaccines dont really do much on transmission and panic at few cases n back to more restrictions probably half of 2022 wasted.

However, anyone who is tempted to not get boosted in protest in relation to our awful embarrassing, living with covid plans i get why you would think that but please do get a booster. Other countries have had a decent second hald of 2021 due to vaccines, just because ireland is bad it is because our decision makers nphet\govt are useless not that the vaccine is useless.

Just look at the scale of vaccines been given out, in general to give you protection and at worst they do no harm.

Probably a few things really...

• When the dust settles, this may have turned out to be one of the biggest overreactions in history. Something that became pretty obvious 6 months in, but certainly now with (here in Ireland) the overwhelming majority vaccinated or at little real risk anyway. The enquiries and investigations that will inevitably follow will last years (of course in this country it's just to serve as a "seen to be doing something" sop to the public, payday for their legal friends, and no-one will face any real sanction anyway!)
    • Tens of billions have been spent on this "crisis". In this country it's mainly gone on testing and vaccinating healthy people rather than into increasing the healthcare capacity which is the real issue. Of course there's been lots of blank cheques written with little to no oversight. Can't come out now and admit it was all for nothing really - especially when the bill comes due.
    • No politician (except maybe Boris) wants to be the first one to declare it at an end and have to face all those questions. Those who have questioned or pushed back even slightly on the "approach" have been rounded on by the media (who are making a fortune from advertising) and the zealots on Twitter. Given so many of the younger demographic actually value the nonsense that is posted on platforms like that, it's not a good political move that many are willing to take. Everyone is waiting for someone else to do it first

I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theories but that said, a lot of was was predicted has come to pass - vaccination passes, mandatory vaccinations being lobbied for/introduced, covid chips etc. It probably has given certain regimes a "useful" insight into how far a population can be pushed with the right messaging and fear. Not saying that has happened here - our lot are just parochial seat fillers just interested in the trough and reclaiming the seat so they don't have to face the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

One wonders as the deadly Omicron gains 100% market share might we see the same here? I'm also somewhat confused as to how the boosters are preventing so much serious illness and hospitalisation from this strain when it seems this strain does a good job itself preventing serious illness and hospitalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Of course usually the kid who never moved out of the house so think they should have more say in their parents choices than people who moved out and made a life for themselves outside the family home.

While at times it can be deliberate and at times they might not even know they are doing anything wrong.

Again I am not saying that poster is doing anything wrong and the parents may not want to see other family members.

It is also entirely possible that from the posters history on here that we know the person is absolutely terrified of Covid and the parents are devastated but agreeing not to see other family members because of that person.

70 percent incidental cases matches that of the South African experience.

I've no doubt, in time, that Ireland will follow suit.

Of course, we'll need to surgically drag this data out of NPHET, but I'm sure in time, the figures will come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And what proportion hospitalised with Covid have taken no vaccination and/or are over 80 or have serious underlying health conditions?

If the HSE expect the public to be able to make an informed decision about boosters, they need to lay out the basic facts so that we can assess the probable risks for ourselves of ending up in a hospoital bed. It's simply not good enough to just order/ advise/ tell every adult to take more vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭brickster69

Greece announce new restrictions to come in from Friday with a national lockdown looking certain next week. Some strange rules amongst them

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

What's particularly revolting about the latest round of restrictions is how it punishes restaurants, which are controlled COVID environments, yet NPHET have no problem at all with shopping centres, such as Ilac or Jervis - packed like sardines at this time of year - still indoor environments, uncontrolled numbers of people and so on; no social distancing worth the name.

That small restaurant relies upon business at this time of year, and they've been thrown to the wolves for the sake of seeing to "do something, anything".

Yes, those 8-11pm customers in restaurants are really going to make all the difference in battling Omicron over the next 2-weeks.

It's astonishing how stupid stuff like this is allowed to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Of course there will be people being treated in Covid wards who only discovered on entry to the hospital for other treatments they were infected and tested positive. They will be admitted to Covid wards because to admit them to general wards will put those it those wards at risk of becoming infected.

I have no idea how many such cases there are, but when it comes to those vaccinated as opposed to those unvaccinated in Covid wards I don`t see how it would greatly skew the percentages. Other than those unvaccinated being much more susceptible to requiring treatment for other than Covid than those vaccinated. Which unless I am missing something here I find highly unlikely.

Even less so for those in ICU. Comparing those vaccinated to those unvaccinated relative to their percentages of the population for both, it doesn`t matter if they were admitted due to Covid or because of something else. They are in Covid ICU`s for no other reason than Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I feel sorry for restaurants who as far as have seen were doing everything asked of them, but them being restricted to the same hours as pubs is mostly likely the inability to determine between restaurants and pubs serving food. Something some pubs who never served food took advantage off last year with smart-alec stunts such as ordering food from take-aways to get around the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Sounds to me like the school is planning ahead for a just in case scenario. People have berated the HSE for not having enough ICU beds for a pandemic that a few years ago would have been considered a 'just in case scenario'. The school are doing the right thing but it's not a confirmation that there will be a lockdown.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Look up conditional marketing authority as was used in the EU. FDA has also fully approved some of the COVID vaccines which means the manufacturers are liable.

I will look into that later when I get a chance. Thank you.

Am I to believe that after I read into what you just said, I will find that Pfizer/Moderna etc are 100% liable for any negative reaction that their vaccine will cause?

Because that was my point. If the government are essentially forcing people to take a "vaccine" in order to be given freedoms afforded to others, then surely they'd need to be 100% sure there would be no negative side effects or if there were, be prepared to be taken to the cleaners.

Is there not some sort of waiver signed before you get your shots? I think there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I really do feel sorry for the restaurants. Its a high risk environment when you're indoors, but some of them took the initiative and put in their own hvac systems as well as being fastidious with masks and other covid prevention protocol.

Many of the pubs, however, are another matter. Most of them i went to treated the rules with scorn. no cert checks, masks worn under chins, empty bottles of sanitizer thrown on tables. serving from the bar etc.

Those lads, mostly represented by the vitners, are fuckign vultures as far as Im concerned. They dont give a **** about public health. Its really unfortunate that the places that made a genuine effort get lumped in with those ruthless profiteers.

The government also have a lot to answer for not shutting these places down the minute they started acting the maggot. They did **** all enforcement.

And now we are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

This is fascinating. The top 4 selling newspapers in Ireland vs the top 4 in the UK today. You can click on it to zoom in fully.

Every single UK paper has massive front page headlines on how studies now show Omnicron is significantly less dangerous than Delta, and results in 40-80% fewer hospitalizations.

There isn't a single mention of this across the 4 Irish front pages...

Its pretty horrifying how the media here is terrified to report anything that would bring into question our restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭MOR316

He's not serious. He posts to get reactions. He has called me some awful things in the past, purely looking for a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

As the modelling guy from SAGE said, the modelling is based on end result numbers given and worked backwards from that. It’s a swindle.

If something happens that is not a listed side effect the government (as last resort) or manufacturer (depending on the authorisation level) take on the liability, that is the same state for all authorised medications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

IMO the restrictions against the hospitality industry are now a bit of a bad joke. Getting WhatsApp videos today of Dunnes stores and the like, absolutely wedged with shoppers. No social distancing etc. And to think I needed to produce a cert in my small local pub with spaced out seating and screens at the bar etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Its all joke at this stage. Ridiculous the restrictions they have in place. They make no sense. If omicron turns out to be the damp squib it is looking like how quickly will the government remove the restrictions, I bet it won't be as quick as when they imposed them.

Advertisement