Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Here's my edit.

Edit:

Wasn't easy but found the with/ from data here for England:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

I have no idea where the 80% chart came from but it does not appear to be the NHS as claimed. Pity because I really wanted it to be true.

The admissions figures in the official spreadsheet seem to resemble the guardian, not an unsourced piece of paper.

Dr John must have a better source?

https://youtu.be/OM2VgBm9pTI

He was recently relating covid19 miracle in Japan to ivermectin. I'm at a loss. I hope he's right!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I can't help but feel this will end with Holohan screaming down his tweet machine, looking for restrictions and everyone telling him to jog-on. Definitely not the dream ending he or anyone had.

Omicron is saving the day. From our African motherland. Now if they didn't skip the letters so not to infere a certain somebody had anything to do with it originally, we'd be calling it the Xi Variant. They missed a trick there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Ya could have gave the link to the actual file!

But I managed to find it.

England as a whole as of Dec 21st: 6245 inpatients positive for Covid, 4432 being treated for covid (71%)

London: 1602 inpatients positive for Covid, 1197 being treated for covid (75%)

Was more up to date figures posted earlier here (Dec 29th or Dec 25th) specifying Omicron admissions etc... I wonder if they just (not the poster, the source) cherry picked the data on confirmed Omicron and ignored other covid patients which more than likely are Omicron but the data was just showing confirmed Omicron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Can't offend the mighty leader. because that would be RACIST!

Meanwhile in China, all perfectly normal, nothing to see here 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

"Hon Johnny Boy" etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Which states? The ones with higher vaccination rates or the ones where a lot of the population were infected with previous variants? Because on the one hand you said that it's going to ravage lower vaccinated places but not SA because of higher rates of previous infection. Doesn't that apply to the "bad" US states too? Or is it just that you want that to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

Looking forward to the politicians trying to support the use of vaccine passes in the wake of 50k (most won't get officially tested) plus cases yesterday. And probably another 2 million to come in the next few weeks. Self interest will play a huge part in the narrative now, and we need to stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Don't be so dramatic. Prisons and the Gardai will be able to fulfill staff levels. Also, you say nobody can get a test, thousands upon thousands are being tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Interesting discussion on CNN last night about re defining what fully vaccinated means. Essentially the question asked was should this definition be changed to only those who've been boosted 🤔

Perhaps its just me but it seems to me things are literally made up as we go through phase after phase of this pandemic.

What next, Covid Certs stating how many boosters a person has recieved 🤔

Anyone know we're Stephen Donnelly is 🤔 albeit I've to admit I've actually enjoyed his deafening silence.

Leo's latest optimistic predictions yesterday morning didn't last long 🙄 it's as if the CMO is waiting for another Leo prediction only to release a pile of Grim predictions of his own later in the day.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

“Perhaps its just me but it seems to me things are literally made up as we go through phase after phase of this pandemic.”

Wow, it’s almost as if we’re dealing with an unprecedented pandemic and a novel disease which is constantly evolving and we are learning more about with every day that passes. Funny that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The ones that are triple vaccinated? And who have the responsibility to cut back on their social contacts if they feel at risk?

Seems to be first dose is two vaccinations and then a booster needed every 6 months thereafter but probably once a year in autumn.

Influenza vaccination lasts only 6 months. That's the science. I'm not saying it's good or bad but it is pretty predictable and consistent.

Yesz sick of restrictions, hopefully finishes up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No one gets flu "boosters" every 6 months,most don't even get one,what are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I see this morning that the penny is finally dropping in Government circles with speculation that the isolation requirements for cases and contacts will be dropped to 5 days and a move being considered is to use PCR tests for those actually vulnerable, with a second report from a "leading GP" that most people who get Omicron experience mild symptoms

Meanwhile of course, Tony is out telling everyone to consider themselves as potentially infectious and to behave like a leper. (I miss the rolleyes emoticon)

Dare we hope that the end is near for this nonsense?

I certainly won't be taking unnecessary vaccinations every 6 months, no more than I do for anything else. I'm lucky enough that the sickest I would generally get is "man flu" once or twice a year which is inconvenient but that's about it - oddly I feel it necessary to point that out as many people seem to have forgotten that in the last 2 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Chinese version of Irish curtain twitching, plenty on this thread would support doing that here. Remember the double vaxed nurse that came from zero covid Australia to work as a nurse for the HSE in the middle of the pandemic, mobs on boards wanted her and her young children locked up, a disgusting mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Few on the main thread getting very ratty that the Government is not doing enough to protect their hides from the great unwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

Rationalisation.

The goalposts have been moved so much, nobody quite knows where they are anymore. Best to cover all options and have the excuses ready for when they shift again.

The figures quoted are correct.

The Guardian article is very wish-washy, and tries to dilute the definition of what "with COVID" means.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sekiro

It could be changed by having a competent and honest media working in tandem with a competent and honest government.

Our mainstream media sources have time after time been exposed as untrustworthy. While they may not tell outright lies they are certainly very selective about that gets reported and what does not. They are very particular about how some things are reported compared to others.

How messed up is this scenario? The mainstream media misleads people so they finally have had enough and go to other "reliable" sources. Then we slag them relentlessly for doing that. What's the point?

Maybe if our media and our politicians didn't constantly, and publicly, destroy their own credibility then people would never feel like other sources are more reliable. A lot of alternative media is specifically set up for exactly this because they noticed a pretty obvious opportunity.

Vaccine hesitancy needs to be dealt with by sending an honest but caring message. If people are worried about side-effects then maybe it's worth just admitting that there are side effects but laying out the numbers and then letting people decide for themselves. No point in approaching someone who is hesitant and basically trying to berate and shame them into compliance.

I'm trying to be civil.

Let me explain again.

After six months influenza vaccine is ineffective. The influenza vaccinations are timed at winter to give the best coverage over the winter months as people do not typically get seriously ill with influenza over the summer.

Covid19 vaccination seems to be following a somewhat similar pattern but slightly longer protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's a real problem though - I said this a year ago.

One thing this "crisis" has exposed is not just the fact that the curtain-twitching and tale-telling on neighbours of the past is still very much with us, but that far too many people need and indeed WANT the State or "their betters" to tell them what to do right down to daily activities. This has been amped to 11 by the pervasive presence of social media and how many seemingly live their lives through it.

This underlying current of servile weakness explains a lot when you consider the history of this State (and how it's run), and why we can't wait to get rid of "Independence" anytime we've had it - first to the Church, then to the EU, now to the Medical "experts".

There will genuinely be people who can't cope with a return to pre-2020 life and will fight it every step of the way, to say nothing of the damage that will have been done to communities by this virtue-signalling "crusade" against those not "on message".

I've never gotten the flu vaccine. As I said above, I get a cold, shake it off after a few days/week and it doesn't stop me doing anything in the meantime, it's just inconvenient. That's not saying that anyone who is medically vulnerable or just concerned shouldn't get it though.

I expect Covid boosters to be the same. Personal choice dependent on individual circumstances and assessment of risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This annoys me, people wanting to be hand held by the government and NPHET on what to do, surely to god they can make a decision for themselves like on whether they will do something or not. It's not that hard to do really, if you are worried about catching covid then don't go into overcrowded indoor establishments, don't be screaming looking for a lockdown. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

It seems to me that there's almost relish in the messages coming from Holohan and his ilk... They seem overly keen to be refreshing the awfulness of this poxy pandemic.

I admit though, it does seem to be a "busy" little Omicron monster.... but I'm still not convinced people are getting as ill as they were with the previous little bolloxes.

Time to lower the bloody isolation periods and start dealing with this **** with some form of progressive outlook rather than doom and gloom that the CMO are being given free will to spew out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Ignorant reply. I know people with venue booked for wedding next week. Afraid to do it because everyone might catch covid but cancelling is difficult as restrictions allow the wedding, money back a problem etc. . Not just your situation people have to deal with.

• Advertisement

Very simple... go ahead with the wedding. If some aren't comfortable attending then they don't. Everyone else will have a great time hopefully!

It's Covid (now a mild flu by all reports), not the Black Death. People need to take personal responsibility for their own choices and lives again.

Advertisement