Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

My sister's 12 year old daughter has covid and was told that she needs to isolate in her room for 10 days.

Hilarious stuff. But also scary that some people would actually put their children in a room for 10 days

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Same with my 8 year old, it's just the standard text message that gets sent out tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The advertising has already started today that kids 5-11 can get vaccinated now and encouraging parents to do so.

I'm still not convinced why. As far as I can tell it's more to reassure the nervous types of parents than any real benefits to the child themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

Worse still I read on another forum a question about how to isolate a 4 yr old successfully! Imagine!

Thankfully most responses were that it was inhumane to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭Floppybits

My daughter is 6 and she won't be getting vaccinated. No point in it for her, I can understand parents getting kids that have underlying conditions vaccinated but for kids with no underlying conditions as I said there is no point. I don't need to do it either to protect granny or the puppy or whatever excuse is used as they have been all vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In her room? Jesus no, the chances of your sister and the rest of the household not having it are slim to none, isolate in the home should be the advice there, hope she gets well soon 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

5-11s with underlying conditions (the important ones) could register for the last 3-4 days but none have been called yet as far as I can tell

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

And the vaccines that she's received up to now have been because...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

It’s a standard text that gets sent out. I do know a neighbour who recently made their 12 year old isolate in their bedroom. Majority of households I have spoken too with a covid case are not isolating within the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

So do you believe had we followed this GBD of chasing herd immunity we would be any better off ?

Anywhere it was attempted it failed, and anywhere that believed they had achieved it very quickly discovered they were wrong. The U.K. initially went down that road and per capita have twice the deaths we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I know more people who have got Covid in the past few days then I did in the past two years.

The worst symptom seems to be the annoyance of having to isolate and miss work.

Time to scrap restrictions they can't stop the spread and scrap isolation periods, you may aswell close schools and retail because the majority of the country will be isolating for 7 or 10 days at some point over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah the close contact rule Is so ott

I'm out of work and for the moment have no synthoms and not the only one

Got to protect others from the sniffles - even though they're likely double/triple vaccinated at this point!

Hold firm and all that! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The next week will determine how we go for the next few years. NPHET meet on the 6th. Holohan will recommend lockdown, or as close as possible. Level 4.99. His tweets have been suggesting he wants retail closed. If he wants retail closed, he most definitely wants pubs/restaurants closed.

If Government ignore him and actually drop restrictions, we are on for the end of this. If they go with Holohan, then we're never getting out of this ever. Variants of this virus will be around for at least 10 years. There won't be a zero Covid day. Holohan will be recommending restrictions in 10 years for the 3rd cousin of Covid 19, twice removed.

We should be planning for freedom day. 17th of March. Zero restrictions. NPHET disbanded. All emergency legislation ripped up.

This is not happening with MM as Taoiseach. And to be fair it's not just him. Everyone in the Dail is pretty much singing from the same hymn sheet. It's utterly paralyzed by group think and a fear of standing out. There are a handful of exceptions like Catherine Connolly but all the main parties are onboard with NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

We have had probably 40,000 cases a day for the past week and if you add in close contacts you are probably not too far off 1 million people isolating if everyone is following the rules.

Surely someone in government is aware of this and the country cannot function like this.

Yet from what I can see they are meeting on Thursday.

Businesses all over the country especially small businesses will have to close with staff shortages, I know of two which are shut, I am sure a lot more have had to do the same.

I don't watch much news but surely this is being widely reported.

This is more concerning to me and much more of a threat to the country than Covid.

There's no way restrictions will be eased

The anti viral drugs also won't be approved here for a while and could be another 'snake oil' situation

Yeah, and unless they scrap the covid passes all other talk of relaxed restrictions is pointless..

Remember in October when the pubs said they didn't want the passes, and they were threatened with closure, and then they could open but had to compromise with the vaccine passes for the few weeks..Then they were still closed for all intents and purposes and we find out the covid passes were being brought in across Europe..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

The close contact rules will have to go soon, i expect to go soon. I will give it 3 to 7 days (government isolation period😁). If they dont they are doing more damage than good. But it wouldnt really suprise me if they wont. That is a contradiction i know but the government has been very good in these matters. It depends on what line they want to push, 'flattening the curve', 'protect the vulnerable' vs 'best for the society as a whole', a 'fine balance', etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

As someone who has recently returned from living in the UK, I can seriously say this country has lost the absolute plot.

Antigen tests seem to be the flavour of the week recently, people testing themselves daily and dare I say, almost hoping to get a positive result. The amount of texts I have received from people that go along the lines of “Got a faint line on an antigen, you may have to isolate!” Have all been promptly ignored. I can only assume this is because antigen tests have only recently become widely available in Ireland and are a massive novelty, a piece of covid theatre that the covid loving Irish have been deprived of, whereas they’ve been part of the UK covids arsenal for most of the pandemic.

The obsession with testing in this country is something else, anecdotally a relative of mine decided in her own head she had covid because she had a bit of a sore throat, tested negative on two antigens but went and got a PCR that came back negative as well but is still insisting on isolating and is getting another PCR because she’s sure she has covid! (triple vaccinated as well) In England they were shutting the test centres down because people wised up that if you’re going and getting tested for the sniffles or a scratchy throat you are just going to prolong restrictions and give the apparatchiks in NPHET and Government an excuse to keep the gravy train going.

Another trend I’ve noticed here as well is the good old fashioned Irish curtain twitching in regards who’s caught covid. It’s almost like there’s an attitude that if you catch covid you’re somehow a bad person that wasn’t following public health advice correctly “Did you hear so and so got it, sure he was down the local hugging so and so. What do you expect”

The hysteria is mad. We live on plague island!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I currently have it. It is exactly like a mild flu.

Financially it creates a mess as positive PCR tests are needed for workers to claim the Enhanced Illness Benefit (both people with the virus and deemed close contacts) but with no availability it makes it even more frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

Surely the justification for the passes is gone out the window now.

The amount of people I know now who have tested positive is crazy. It seems to be the same with anyone I talk with. Even people who have stuck ridgidly to the rules have the bloody thing.

Whatever omicron is, it is everywhere. Covid passes serve no purpose now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No they aren't.

To avail of Enhanced Illness Benefit, depending on your circumstances, the Department of Social Protection will accept:

1. Confirmation from the HSE that you have ordered an antigen test (system will be in place from Monday)

2. Text message from the HSE that you are a close contact

3. Certification from your GP that you have symptoms of Covid-19 and/or are a probable source of infection.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Feeling a tide change on the last bit of that....it is no longer "oh you must have been doing something wrong to catch it", it is now "sure everyone has it"....that attitude will go a loooong way towards the public calling an end to this.

Yeah well we're going to see soon enough if the CTs are borne out re this digital citizenry tag.. I can't see the justification for it any longer where covid vaccinations are concerned but will all governments across Europe all feel the same?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Advertisement