Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

the kelt wrote: »
    There will be eff all turn up for any type of protest in this country.

Through my job today i was speaking to one of my local TD's and a TD in a neighboring county.

Ask them what the silent majority is thinking now?

Genuinely both of them said they've never seen anything like the level of response and correspondence from people on it and to be fair to both of them theyre as frustrated themselves.

Gauging public opinion from protest marches in Ireland is a waste of time cos even when theres a bloody branch down on a road the local TD gets a call.
    To be fair gauging it from email correspondence isn't an exact science either - not when you have WhatsApp, Facebook and telegram groups coordinating email campaigns.

The majority are likely fed up at this point, but being fed up is no excuse for doing the wrong thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Michael O'Leary on Newstalk now, asking an interesting question about the NPHET modelling.

Why, he asks, if the UK is weeks ahead of us (he says 6 weeks, but lets say it's more like a month), are they seeing only tiny rises in hospitalisation? They have indoor dining, no restrictions except for social distancing.

Hmm. Kinda seems like there shouldn't be any delay for the vaccinated, and we're still talking about an extended closure.

We have indoor dining also, and have had it for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Michael O'Leary on fancying himself as an epidemiologist again I see. Funny how his opinion always seem to be against those things that stop Ryanair making profits. One would be forgiven for thinking that he has an agenda...

I mean, O'Leary got fully behind the initial response, right? When everything shut down, he made statements saying that he fully supported the protection of workers and the public, right?. It's not like he effectively denied there was a serious pandemic or anything...

Oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

MOH wrote: »
    So you genuinely don't believe that "it’s possible more than 100 Delta cases will be associated with it. That’s a significant increase: As of last Thursday, there had been 188 cases" is deliberately trying to convey the impression of cases rising by 100 in just a week, when the total date last week was 188? An increase of 53%? I'm baffled as to what other conclusion you could get from that.

Re the article

The first sentence is such a vague statement its really not worth commenting on. The use if the word 'possible ' indicates its not a fact. So no I wouldn't be taking that as gospel.

Ditto the second point. I dont read that at all. They don't call out its doubled as you suggested. I'd suggest the sentence is badly written but that's about it.

That said they do however state the following.
    How much Delta?

Where does all this leave us? What percentage of cases are actually Delta now?

The reality is: it’s very unclear.
    MOH wrote: »
    I'm not sure you can really call it a media report since it's from RTE, but close enough. But the rest of your post is pointless anyway. A poster asked for an example less than two weeks old of RTE not following science, I gave them an example of RTE deliberately mangling figure to instil fear.I fail to see how a scientific report or some other report that doesn't exist yet would have been relevant.

I've no idea on either of those two badly written and vague sentences could "instill fear" but hey I can't account for everyone. But no matter.

My wife and daughter are off to see granny and grandad in Italy today for the first time in a year.

Thank you Ryanair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just catching up on the afternoons posts, appears the government press office have assumed a posters account. Nothing to see here, move along.

gozunda wrote: »
    The first sentence is such a vague statement its really not worth commenting on. The use if the word 'possible ' indicates its not a fact. So no I wouldn't be taking that as gospel.

Ditto the second point. I dont read that at all. They don't call out its doubled as you suggested. I'd suggest the sentence is badly written but that's about it.

I've no idea on either of those two badly written and vague sentences could "instill fear" but hey I can't account for everyone. But no matter.

it's not a spelling bee or final summation, you know what he meant but you're crapping on about it's form and not it's function, 100% bull****ter, you'd do well in the FF backbenches if you're not a card carrier already..back to correcting homework with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Michael O'Leary on Newstalk now, asking an interesting question about the NPHET modelling.

Why, he asks, if the UK is weeks ahead of us (he says 6 weeks, but lets say it's more like a month), are they seeing only tiny rises in hospitalisation? They have indoor dining, no restrictions except for social distancing.

Hmm. Kinda seems like there shouldn't be any delay for the vaccinated, and we're still talking about an extended closure.

We've been saying that in here all week.
    It Takes a public figure to say it publicly before most people have a light bulb moment it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

seamus wrote: »
    Michael O'Leary on fancying himself as an epidemiologist again I see. Funny how his opinion always seem to be against those things that stop Ryanair making profits. One would be forgiven for thinking that he has an agenda...

I mean, O'Leary got fully behind the initial response, right? When everything shut down, he made statements saying that he fully supported the protection of workers and the public, right?. It's not like he effectively denied there was a serious pandemic or anything...

Oh, wait...

I know…like Aer Lingus is losing €1 million per day at least. It’ll be gone soon as if you look at the travel thread - it’s cancelling fully booked flights. Sure what’s another airline to go bust on an island that’s the most disconnected from the rest of the EU currently.

One would almost think NPHET had an agenda too with their recent modelling & media contributions. Which the CMO of Scotland, England, Wales & NI plus 27 EU member states plus the US don’t agree with. Interesting that.

Funny how the O’Leary highlighted how fully vaccinated Europeans were being threatened with mandatory hotel quarantine upon arrival at Dublin airport yesterday - I mean what an agenda to have. To highlight something outrageous happening to EU citizens upon arriving into Ireland. Never heard him deny a pandemic - but sure what’s another attempt to discredit one of the few successful businesses men we have that actually pays tax in Ireland unlike many others.
    Isn't it just hilarious altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Edz87 wrote: »
    My wife and daughter are off to see granny and grandad in Italy today for the first time in a year.

Thank you Ryanair

Free house, Jackpot!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Edz87 wrote: »

Thank you Ryanair

Were they molested by the yellow anoraked carabinieri at the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Oh, wait...

O’Leary is absolutely full of it....best ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

When did u last fly ryanair?

niallo27 wrote: »
    Free house, Jackpot!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!

Winner winner microwave dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

gozunda wrote: »
    You ignored the question why do you think infection rates in those not vaccinated remains high?

I ignored the question because I don't think that? Why do you think the sky is purple?

As to your question and to the graph showing case numbers "going up and down by day"
    Thats the point of that graph. The figures are not going down - rather they remain relatively high. They are indeed "going up and down" and have been doing do for some time. And to that Ireland has the 4th or 5th highest 14-day case notification rate per 100 000 inhabitants in the EU and have had for some time. The daily graph simply illustrates whats going on in the background.
    The graph if you wish to check is on the wiki Ireland Statistics page and are derived from hse daily reported cases. I posted a snapshot btw.

No, the daily graph just illustrates what cases happened to be counted on a particular day. It's know to fluctuate anyway since there tend to be higher and lower numbers of tests on particular days of the week.

And relative to what? They're a lot lower than they were before we had identified any Delta cases.

Nice Tony Holohan move though. When most of the metrics don't agree with your message, pull another one out of your ass. 7-day average, 14-day average, current active cases, deaths, hospitalisations all apparently steadily decreased while Delta went from 0-55%.
    And if you wish to go on a general rant about Nphet and what some politicians said out of context at some point in March then please feel free.
    I really think you're just trolling at this stage.
    So pointing out the NPHET and a (not some) politician warned that the Alpha variant would make it very hard to keep cases below 500 is somehow an out of context rant, just because Alpha was superseded by another variant which should be pushing cases even higher?
    As to "dominant' that would mean a proportion of cases prevailing over all others as in the UK. We still have a large proportion of Alhpa cases here.

So 70% of our cases are Delta yet that's somehow not the prevailing variant?
    I'm genuinely confused.
    Why is that you seem to believe everyone is trying to manipulate / obfuscate / lie? Is it some big conspiracy or ?

Where are you getting that idea from?
    You posted an RTE article and I pointed out that it quite clearly manipulates data.
    I think you're trying to obfuscate facts because you're jumping through hoops to deliberately ignore the fact the most of the regularly used metrics dropped significantly between the time Delta entered the country and the time Tony sent his letter of doom. Which was based on data to that point.

I'm just trying to explain the anomaly of numbers steadily dropping over a period when they shouldn't have been, since the deputy CMO had warned that they'd remain high due to a variant which in the meantime was superseded by an even worse one.

I don't think there's any conspiracy, I think they're panicking. I think the daily case numbers have possibly been massively understated, and that they believe that. I think they were struggling anyway to get a complete picture of the situation after the hack, and Delta's given them a new problem. I think a lot more people have it, but are either mistaking it for hay fever, or vaccine side effects, or simply having much milder symptoms, and not bothering getting tested. I think they're terrified that it's already that widespread and if it starts hitting the older cohort who aren't yet fully vaccinated, we could see a lot of deaths very quickly.

Obviously that's all just wild speculation. But if that was the case and they just came out and said that, I'd obviously have no problem with delaying reopening while they finished the vaccinations. But they wouldn't, because admitting they don't actually know what's going on wouldn't look very competent.

That's about as far as I go on the conspiracy theory front with NPHET and the government.

Says the poster who wants to curb access to air travel due to climate change i believe. At least be honest about your own agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Says the poster who wants to curb access to air travel due to climate change i believe. At least be honest about your own agenda.

But but but Variants variants variants vulnerable vulnerable vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Greetings from a very wet evening in Killarney. We have spent almost a week here and we are heading tomorrow. We had a lovely week here due to the fact the weather was so nice. Spent a lovely morning strolling around the national park. However there are very few places set up here for actual outdoor dining that keeps out the rain. A miserable evening out now and so many places are empty. Its such a pity that you can't go in and have a meal or a drink. Myself and my husband have one vaccine already and will be fully vaccinated by the end of next week but its totally ridiculous that the government see fit to recommend an outdoor summer here. It's such a pity to see perfectly viable businesses left this way. We are both under 40 and would have no problem dining indoors. If you want to hide away do it but let the rest of us get on with our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

At what point does it become reasonable to doubt official numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭quinneerr

I will let you in on a secret...............people are ignoring the restrictions, pubs are serving people in doors, some never stooped or closed at all since lockdown started in march 2020, life has gone on and the covid fear factor is over for most.

• Advertisement

That’s completely beside the point

O Leary has been an absolute melt for the entirety of the pandemic

Don’t be naive.

He cares about one thing. Ryanair profits.

Thankfully most ppl see through his agenda

quinneerr wrote: »
    I will let you in on a secret...............people are ignoring the restrictions, pubs are serving people in doors, some never stooped or closed at all since lockdown started in march 2020, life has gone on and the covid fear factor is over for most.

And therein is the reason delta is growing

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

And therein is the reason delta is growing
    Y not give urself a thx sadcon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

O Leary has been an absolute cretin for the entirety of the pandemic

Don’t be naive.

Shock horror, successful buisnessman cares about the company he's built up and is worried about disproportionate rules which will adversely effect its viability.

O Leary has been an absolute cretin for the entirety of the pandemic

Don’t be naive.

So just to be crystal clear, you stand over Fully vaccinated EU citizens being threatened with mandatory hotel quarantine upon arrival into Dublin airport over the last two days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Oh, wait...

Seriously mate...

I genuinely do respect you as a poster.
    By your own admission, you have staunchly defending every action NPHET have taken, rightly or wrongly...

I disagree with a lot of what you say but, that's cool. You put it across well and engage in debate without belittling or patronising antics :)

However, on this occasion, I have to interject...

He's a business man! His company's future is on the line! What do you expect him to say?

The Romanians, a great bunch of lads.

So just to be crystal clear, you stand over Fully vaccinated EU citizens being threatened with mandatory hotel quarantine upon arrival into Dublin airport over the last two days?

It’s the law as far as I am aware.

???

At what point does it become reasonable to doubt official numbers?

In a much earlier iteration of this thread, I recounted the case of a family I know who had to seek legal advice to get 'Covid 19' removed as cause of death from their middle-aged father's death certificate. The father was overrun with cancer and in his last visit with the consultant had been given a matter of weeks to live. Sure as such, he passed within weeks as at least 4 different cancers spread throughout his body. In a postmortem, he tested positive for Covid 19 and all of a sudden cancer(s) didn't matter.

That was a year ago. Ever since then I've doubted official figures. Plus, never mind my anecdotal account - It's almost a year to the day since we had the findings of a HIQA report about the likely overestimation of Covid 19 deaths up to that point. It was our government's first admission of 'Died of Covid/Died with Covid' not making a difference to the official figures, as Varadkar commented...
    Varadkar wrote:
    “In Ireland we counted all deaths, in all settings, suspected cases even when no lab test was done, and included people with underlying terminal illnesses who died with Covid but not of it.”

Varadkar added that this was the “right approach but skewed the numbers”, saying the priority was “to save lives, not look good in league tables”.

Many people in Ireland have unfortunately succumbed to this virus, but not 5,000 thankfully. As our Tánaiste admitted a year ago, the numbers are skewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Yea he hasn’t a clue.

Dumb as a ditch is our michael.

When in reality that man has done more for Ireland than 100years of politicians have ever done.

Advertisement