Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Allinall wrote: »
    We already have a plethora of opinions from all the experts on Boards.
    Is that not enough?

Given the ignorance of our government, including the one who is so brain dead that he cleans his glasses with his face mask, the answer is obviously no, it’s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭facehugger99

gozunda wrote: »
    Thankfully overall we have had one of the lowest death rates when listed against our closest European neighbours and thatc by quite a significant factor. Looking at the data I dont believe that's an underestimation.

Because we have the youngest population in Europe.

15 months in and people still aren't getting it.

Covid is mostly harmless unless you are very old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Listening to Claire Byrne at the moment and I have to say the Delta virus sounds frightening...you have to be worried what is going to happen over here. Next couple of weeks will be telling to see if this new variant rips through the country...I really thought we had turned a corner...depressing stuff

There lies your problem.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

"The crescendo of calls to “disband Nphet” and attribute autocratic characteristics to what is merely an advisory body, simply because it will not tell the inconvenienced what they want to hear, is really something to behold."

It really is...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Remember two things

The average age of people who have died is 83.

The average life expectancy is 81.

• Advertisement

"The crescendo of calls to “disband Nphet” and attribute autocratic characteristics to what is merely an advisory body, simply because it will not tell the inconvenienced what they want to hear, is really something to behold."

It really is...

Quote from a letter to the Irish Times Btw

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No. Because when there were no vaccinations - having a young population most certainly was not an effective prophylatic to stop older cohorts being at risk from serious illness and death

And its not the 'very old' btw. All those who are medically vulnerable regardless of age are at risk from serious illness without vaccination.

But we already know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

When you see a poster post the same identical post on the two main covid threads at the same time you finally know they're trolling and on the wind up.

prunudo wrote: »
    When you see a poster post the same identical post on the two main covid threads at the same time you finally know they're trolling and on the wind up.

Not a wind up. Just a different view

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0702/1232724-oleary-criticises-govt-over-covid-cert-implementation/

O'leary article on RTE news channel. I didnt hear the interview and i take it this article has some of the highlights.
    I am usually against a lot of what he says but he made some good points here.
    The reason the government is not playing ball is because they dont want what everybody else in the EU has agreed to and already implementing.
    They are even pushing the idea that july 19 is too early via dr.Cillian de Gascun, and that kind of sickens me as the man has been fairly reasonable so far.
    It means that if they have any chance to delay the july19 date they will. If they are going to use the HSE hack as an excuse it is clear o' Leary is right.

From the article:

"What have you been doing for the last 6 weeks since the DCC was first announced?"/ (Is exactly what i have been thinking).

Mr O’Leary also sought confirmation from Mr Ryan that the Covid certificate system will be immediately switched on for all 1.5 million fully vaccinated people here, claiming they pose no threat or risk to the the National Public Health Emergency Team’s (NPHET) "variant scariant lockdown narrative."

Earlier, Dr Cillian de Gascun, the Director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory and member of NPHET expressed a personal view that it would be "too early" to open up travel to other EU member states on July 19.

Watch this space...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Not a wind up. Just a different view

No, same view just multiple different threads.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    No, same view just multiple different threads.

Same view against the tide of other views.

I try to represent what I call the silent majority

I try to flag that Boards users views are skewed in terms of the overall national sentiment.

Ballynally wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0702/1232724-oleary-criticises-govt-over-covid-cert-implementation/

O'leary article on RTE news channel. I didnt hear the interview and i take it this article has some of the highlights.
    The reason the government is not playing ball is because they dont want what everybody else in the EU has agreed to and already implementing.
    They are even pushing the idea that july 19 is too early via dr.Cillian de Gascun, and that kind of sickens me as the man has been fairly reasonable so far.
    It means that if they have any chance to delay the july19 date they will. If they are going to use the HSE hack as an excuse it is clear o' Leary is right.

From the article:

"What have you been doing for the last 6 weeks since the DCC was first announced?"/ (Is exactly what i have been thinking).

Mr O’Leary also sought confirmation from Mr Ryan that the Covid certificate system will be immediately switched on for all 1.5 million fully vaccinated people here, claiming they pose no threat or risk to the the National Public Health Emergency Team’s (NPHET) "variant scariant lockdown narrative."

Earlier, Dr Cillian de Gascun, the Director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory and member of NPHET expressed a personal view that it would be "too early" to open up travel to other EU member states on July 19.

Watch this space...

De Gascun should stick to his wheelhouse and leave matters of national policy to the government. NPHET have given their letter, random members of the their inner sanctum being roled out for soundbites is not what they are paid to do.

I try to flag that Boards users views are skewed in terms of the overall national sentiment.

If only there was a term for copy and pasting the same post across multiple threads.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

From the article:

Watch this space...

I think they have six weeks from July 1st to roll out the DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

From the article:

Watch this space...

I listened to his interview and his main point was why in the name of Jesus are we the only 1 out of 27 European nations that have not turned on the covid passport. The government told him it was ready to be turned on but they havent done it. We are a joke.

Stheno wrote: »

Despite MM saying he still commits to the 19th for implementation I firmly believe this will be delayed for the full 6 weeks.

If only there was a term for copy and pasting the same post across multiple threads.

Address my post please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The "silent majority" exists only in your head

De Gascun should stick to his wheelhouse and leave matters of national policy to the government. NPHET have given their letter, random members of the their inner sanctum being roled out for soundbites is not what they are paid to do.

You read my mind.
    It might be that they are circling the wagons, everybody on message, pushing any delay by any means.
    And you are dead right. De Gascun should stick to what he is hired for.
    It is now clear that they are all ready to voice their opinion which of course is the cabinet's opinion while claiming everything is on track.
    It is sad to see that kind of thing happening to otherwise reasonable people.
    They are doubling down after the TH debacle and the pushback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Who are the silent majority?

I've said it for a long time, but anyone involved with nphet shouldn't be doing media interviews. Their remit is to advise government, not push personally agendas, get in early with their opinions or put in ground work to pave the way they wish to steer the direction of restrictions.
    They know exactly what they're doing when they're being rolled out left right and centre on every current affairs programme going.

The same goes for using social media like Twitter, it should solely be for personal opinions, not going off on one a Saturday night in their capacity as cmo or whatever position they hold.

Yes, that is true.
    But they came out w the july19 date before the EU said they wanted it implemented asap, july 1st officially.
    Legally they can push it back to six weeks after that but people, including EU citizens have booked flights w july 19 in mind.
    If they NOW try and push that date back without a good enough reason it means they will stop at nothing to try and delay.
    It is going to P off many europeans and i think and hope that is the reason that they probably wont dare.
    But no, it wouldnt surprise me..

Yes, that is true.
    But they came out w the july19 date before the EU said they wanted it implemented asap, july 1st officially.
    Legally they can push it back to six weeks after that but people, including EU citizens have booked flights w july 19 in mind.
    If they NOW try and push that date back without a good enough reason it means they will stop at nothing to try and delay.
    It is going to P off many europeans and i think and hope that is the reason that they probably wont dare.
    But no, it wouldnt surprise me..

Surely not, there's no people stuck here waiting to return to see family in their home countries. The only people who want to fly out are Irish who want to go on the piss in the sun, and we all know the virus loves alcohol. Tony can't be having that on his watch.

Address my post please?

Your post?

You mean the one you copy and pasted from The Irish Time letters section into multiple threads?

What is your opinion on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

In a much earlier iteration of this thread, I recounted the case of a family I know who had to seek legal advice to get 'Covid 19' removed as cause of death from their middle-aged father's death certificate. The father was overrun with cancer and in his last visit with the consultant had been given a matter of weeks to live. Sure as such, he passed within weeks as at least 4 different cancers spread throughout his body. In a postmortem, he tested positive for Covid 19 and all of a sudden cancer(s) didn't matter.

That was a year ago. Ever since then I've doubted official figures. Plus, never mind my anecdotal account - It's almost a year to the day since we had the findings of a HIQA report about the likely overestimation of Covid 19 deaths up to that point. It was our government's first admission of 'Died of Covid/Died with Covid' not making a difference to the official figures, as Varadkar commented...

Many people in Ireland have unfortunately succumbed to this virus, but not 5,000 thankfully. As our Tánaiste admitted a year ago, the numbers are skewed.

As is the case in the U.K. Their metric is death within 30 days of a positive test meaning those who recover and are murdered or die in car collisions still count as covid deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Unless there's a very ****ing good reason the EU want us to open to travel July 19th. Only country in Europe who didn't launch the DCC yesterday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Unless there's a very ****ing good reason the EU want us to open to travel July 19th. Only country in Europe who didn't launch the DCC yesterday.

Do you mean you think it will not be open?

Marcusm wrote: »
    As is the case in the U.K. Their metric is death within 30 days of a positive test meaning those who recover and are murdered or die in car collisions still count as covid deaths.

The real question is why are all these recovered Covid patients getting murdered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Do you mean you think it will not be open?
    As far as I know the stop agreement in the DCC is for exceptional reasons. I see no reason why we should stop people.

I'm off on August 20th anyway, booked and all.

Advertisement