Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,257 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We were here before in October. Remember when the emergency powers at that stage were extended on a "just in case" basis. Anyone who thinks they will let the emergency powers lapse on the 9th February is being very naive IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's honestly mad that people take any heed of polling, it means nothing, as we know little about how it's conducted.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I find the questioning there a bit unclear.

When will the pandemic end?

Is that when will restrictions be removed or when does it move to endemic stage?

Two very different questions and I’d say most answered the former though to me the question sounds like the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yep this 100%, a cursory look over the last few years will tell you how accurate polling has become, in a world where there’s amble opportunity to find like minded people and to share with them people just tell pollsters what they want to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I know this point wont be popular with some and ultimately it doesn't change anything but lets not forget about the manipulation that has been going on for two years. Yes the majority supports this but I wouldnt really call it free will tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I can leave the house after 8pm, therefore it's essentially not a curfew/lockdown. There may be a curfew on hospitality but that doesn't equate to the population as a whole living in a curfew situation.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It's ridiculous the sh1t that's going on

On Facebook people I know are posting #stay safe and #quaranteam

FFS it must be the death numbers that have them thinking like this

We'll end up having a battle between those who want to live and those who want to hide, something like out of a 70s sci-fi movie

I said it before many times, I grew up in the UK and I wish I was there now , better spirit all round than the wimps here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Facebook sounds awful in every way. Crazy that people still use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Important distinction. The majority have a reasonable faith in authorities providing them with accurate information and having their best interests as a basic. Data has not been transparent, and the current agenda of protecting healthcare at all costs allows authorities to highlight certain data shared with the public and obfuscate other data, in order to further their single-minded guarding of a rotten healthcare system.

Most people form opinions based on information from sources they trust, and most are inherently uncomfortable generally with a lack of trust in their government. Understandably so - the welfare of a country is in their hands, hard to come to the realisation they are making a bags of it. Natural to resist the knowledge that the structures of a well-run society are foundering currently.

• Advertisement

The virtue signalling mob meets the only Covid deaths matter crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yeah...and hashtags don't work very well on Facebook. Anyone using hashtags should save them for Twitter or Insta.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You know what feck them. Let them at it. They certainly won’t be stopping me getting on with it. I have seen a few profile photos with #stayhome like back in March 2020 making a return. With a bit of luck it might ease traffic on the roads and make it easier to get a restaurant booking.

Didn't think you were the type to believe anything from mainstream media 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Well that Poll I shared got a reaction and I agree , opinions are wide an varied. My take on it, is there's clearly a lot of division. I personally don't believe this government doing a good Job, it seems to me they've been in a bunker since the last set of restrictions announced. Its equally clear to me , they've actually not got a clue what to do next. There's absolutely no sign of any real leadership. NPHET too somewhat lost at this stage and relevance really diminished .

What comes next is the big question but my god the country needs a coherent plan , Most people now accept were going to have to live with Covid , I thought for a brief moment that was Government plan, albeit not admitted, now I'm not at all sure what their at , but in fairness, I've felt that way for over a year 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ffs

Plenty ammunition for the government there to carry on with this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Covid 19 is very mild in the majority of people, vaxxed or unvaxxed. Never mind omicron which is a non event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Its weird. On the ground it seems like only a small minority are still afraid and taking precautions for this thing.

Was in a rural village last night and all 3 pubs were packed and just closed their doors at 8 and kept serving with no one leaving. I left at midnight and things were still in full swing.

Obviously everyone in the village knows this is going on even the local guards, but no one cares. You would wonder who is responding to these polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't know why you would be surprised, this country didn't get where it is today without the tacit approval of the Irish people, the clappy seals have been there at every step of this pandemic no matter how nonsensical the response.

There has been zero pushback from the Irish on restrictions, and zero interest in getting back to a real life, it is a sad reflection on how useless this country is but it is an accurate one.

Some countries will be like a chained tiger in a cage, fighting to get out. Ireland is the doped tiger just laying there so tourists can take photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Hearing some talk of a staggered easing of restrictions through the end of this month and into February. What would be the point of doing it like this in the current context? It made sense on paper to stagger the reopening from June-October when we were vaccinating the adult population with the primary course, and less was known about waning immunity with regard to infection. But by February we will have every adult offered a booster, every child under 12 offered a vaccine, likely 2-3 million people with natural immunity to Omicron and the first 150,000 courses of Paxlovid in the country, so why not just end all the restrictions at once provided the hospital peak has passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

NPHET need to keep themselves relevant somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,257 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

And we will have the dreaded phase of 'subject to public health advice at the time'

Making it easier for them to turn around and say 'nope not yet lads' etc

This needs to be a proper reopening with full capacity events indoor and outdoor, normal hospitality hours and personal responsibility the key to this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Probably has some member of their family working as a guard in Dublin,seems quite popular around these parts

The point of all that would be to keep holding the hands of the cowered.

No political courage to say the game is up, we’re going back to normal.

It will however come as a shock to a large percentage of the population that when this is all over, people will continue to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

The vast majority of Irish people were perfectly happy to live in a Catholic Church run theocracy that sent unmarried mothers to labour camps, drove gay people to suicide, and covered up the systemic sexual abuse of children by clergy for decades. That didn't make that state of affairs in the country right, and it doesn't make the current unnecessary restrictions right either.

Just because we have a large number of very conservative, risk adverse people in the country doesn't mean we should ignore statistics and logic and run the country based on faith. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They will lapse on the 9th of February due to the "sunset clause" they could extend it but it would require it to be passed through the dail, that's why I'm thinking it will be unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

"So restrictions all across healthcare and across society would be lifted reasonably quickly - not completely...as people will know, the last thing anybody wants to do is go backwards, as we've said before, but hopefully we're starting to see some glimmer of light" - NPHET member Marie Favrier

Advertisement